009

Hero
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Oh, Hyejin! You’re back again!”

 

Hyejin greeted Junmyeon’s mum politely, yet sheepishly as she was hauled into the living room. Junmyeon hurried after them, as if afraid that his mother would embarrass him in his absence.

 

“We’re going to watch a movie for our English project,” he said to his mum. “So we’ll be using up the living room.”

 

“Oh, I didn’t expect Hyejin was coming so I had other plans. I was going to meet up with my friends so I didn’t prepare dinner.” His mum replied apologetically, directing her statement to the girl.

 

“Oh no, it’s alright!” Hyejin said adamantly. “I already had a nice dinner with you all yesterday. I couldn’t expect to eat here again today. I’ll be returning home for dinner.”

 

She smiled. “If you insist. Well, if there’s nothing else, I’ll have to get going now. Call me if anything happens, okay?”

 

“Okay,” Junmyeon answered. “We’ll just watch the movie and study. Have fun!”

 

“I should be saying that to you,” his mother replied, laughing a little when she saw how embarrassed they were. “Study hard, kids!”

 

At that, she swept up her handbag and left after a small wave. Junmyeon went to turn on the TV and start up the movie.

 

“Your mum’s really nice,” she observed. “You have her vibes.”

 

“Really?” he laughed fondly. “She’ll be glad to know you like her. She likes you a whole lot, you know.”

 

“Ah,” she muttered, feeling flustered. “I’m happy that she likes me.”

 

“Well, I like you too.”

 

His reply was cheeky and Hyejin knew not to take it seriously, yet her heart still pounded at what sounded like a confession. She laughed, trying to keep the mood still levelled and friendly.

 

Not really knowing what to reply, she said the first thing that came to her mind. “And I, you.”

 

There was a beat of silence before the both of them cracked into awkward laughter. She could feel some heat rush up her cheeks as she watched him slip into a contented smile while starting up the movie.

 

It soon started, in black and white, as expected from a 1960-esque movie. He sat down on the sofa beside her, perhaps too close for a reasonable distance, but she didn’t seem to mind at all. He exuded warmth too, like a nice warm pack, which admittedly felt very nice. She was usually cold anyway.

 

The plot flew smoothly, similar to the book they had read. Junmyeon’s idea to watch the movie version of the book proved to be very effective as she found herself understanding the whole idea better. Plus, the mere act of watching a movie together was enough to make her heart race.

 

Throughout the whole movie, she felt his gaze resting on her, as if observing her reaction to the scenes playing. She didn’t dare look back at him to confirm the theory, in case he really was, in fear of making things awkward.

 

Junmyeon actually looked quite calm and collected, which was the exact of opposite of how Hyejin was feeling. He even had an air of confidence around him. It was as if he had taken Felix Felicis.

 

Suddenly, her hand brushed over his, seeing as they were pressed close next to each other on the sofa. The sudden touch made him jolt a little, and Hyejin felt small droplets of water on his hand. She looked down, and much to her surprise, there were tiny water droplets on his wrist.

 

“W-what-” she pointed to his wrist, stuttering.

 

His face showed agitation, before being schooled into a nonchalant expression. He looked down at his hand slowly. “What’s wrong?”

 

Hyejin looked back down at his wrist again. The water was gone. She blinked again but nothing had changed. His hand was completely dry.

 

“Your wrist was wet just now,” she accused, still in a state of shock. “I swear! But why isn’t it right now?”

 

“Are you sure? Maybe it was a trick of the light.”

 

“I felt it too! Your hand was wet when I touched it just now.”

 

Junmyeon shook his head slowly, unsurely. “It isn’t wet.”

 

“I think I’m going crazy,” she breathed. “I could’ve sworn it was wet.”

 

The movie was now forgotten, just voices melding into the background as her gaze was fixated on him. He too was staring back at her as his eyebrows furrowed, thinking of what to do next.

 

“What’s going on?” Hyejin ask

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter