001

Hero
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“There he is on the news again!” Seungwan squealed loudly.

 

Scoffing, Hyejin turned towards her best friend who was eagerly watching the TV. “Don't you have anything better to do other than ogle at that flying man?”

 

“Flying man?!” she asked with an offended gasp. “He's a hero! South Korea's superman!”

 

There had been a commotion ever since a few months ago when a so-called 'Superman' was found in South Korea. He had saved countless lives from robberies and murders, all in the span of about four months. His identity was still unknown however, but people everywhere were making up names for him; Superman, Flying Man, Korean Hero.

 

Sure, Hyejin appreciated the said hero, but it didn't mean she went crazy whenever he was mentioned. The same couldn't be said for Seungwan, and sadly, most of her friends.

 

“Yesterday evening at 4:30pm, our Korean Hero successfully managed to stop a fire in one of our largest buildings, Park Industries. A number of people were injured, but fortunately, there were no casualties. However, after some investigations, it turns out that this was a planned attack. The authorities have yet to inform us on the situation, so please stay tuned.”

 

“Oh! This is getting serious!”

 

This time, Hyejin nodded her head. One of the highest security protected buildings in the country attacked?

 

Just then, Seungwan's stomach growled. The said girl looked sheepishly at Hyejin before suggesting to eat out at Kamong, a new cafe under Park Industries which was already relatively popular.

 

Humming a bit, Hyejin replied after a few moments. “I have to meet up with Junmyeon for our English project soon though.”

 

“Junmyeon? The new kid?” Seungwan asked, and after getting a nod, continued, “Hohoho! I heard he was quite handsome underneath his glasses. You're so lucky to be going on a study date with him!”

 

“Yah! It's not a study date, and I barely even know him. He's only been here for about a few months.”

 

“Okay, whatever floats your boat,” she smirked. “I won't disturb your little... meet-up? Hah.”

 

Hyejin rolled her eyes. “But I really want to go to Kamong with you, Seungwan-ah. I heard it's really good and not that expensive! It's under Park Industries too!”

 

“I have an idea,” Seungwan's eyes sparked with fresh interest. “Why not invite him over to Kamong? I'm sure you two can discuss stuff over there too.”

 

-

 

After Junmyeon texted back an ‘okay :) see you in 10!’ , they both headed out, arm in arm. Reaching the cafe in less than 20 minutes, they were impressed by the interior of the new cafe.

 

Tables were modern and polished, intricate paintings were hung across the walls, windows were draped with translucent curtains. Warm scents of pastries wafted through the air, from the kitchen and from behind the clear glass.

 

Rushing over to the counter, they observed the variety of bread and cake displayed. The cashier smiled at them professionally, and it completed the look of a 'Park Industries' cafe.

 

“Please fill out the order form, and we'll serve you the food at your seats. The bill will be settled after completion of the meal. Please enjoy yourselves at Kamong.”

 

Nodding excitedly, they scoured the shelves of pastries and managed to agree on a few cakes that weren't too expensive.

 

Settling into their seats, Hyejin opened to speak when the television program was suddenly interrupted with a loud noise, signalling emergency news.

 

“Urgent news to citizens in Seoul, we are currently in front of a Park Industries law firm, which has caught on fire. The fire is similar to the previous incident, as it seems to be coming from the inside. Everyone except three employees have evacuated the building but the firemen are trying to lessen the fire before stepping in.”

 

Hyejin and Seungwan shared a horrified look with each other, before staring at the terrifying scene on TV. The once prestigious law firm was heavily covered in flames. It was as if the fire was trying to consume the building whole, with the flames looking like tongues darting out tauntingly. Citizens at the scene were only watching helplessly while the firemen tried their best to put out the fire.

 

“Damn,” Seungwan muttered. “Where's our Superman?”

 

“Oh my word! It seems that our Korean hero has arrived!”

 

The camera panned to a flying figure in the sky, quickly making its way over to the building. He swiftly swooped in through one of the windows, and appeared seconds later with a woman in his arms.

 

“He successfully saved one of the employees, and- Oh he's got another one!”

 

True to the reporter's word, Superman appeared once again, carrying a heavily built man. Not wasting any ti

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter