019

Hero
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

In a flash, Suho swiftly moved to punch Chanyeol in the jaw, before putting him in a tight headlock and attacking his pressure point. Before the man could even fight back, he crumpled into a heap on the floor.

 

“Let’s get out of here,” he grabbed her hand and brought her out of the room. Listening to his voice, it was no mistaking now that the man before her was indeed Junmyeon. “We’ll get Seungwan out too.”

 

“W-what…” Hyejin could only gape at him.

 

In the next room, Seungwan was weak, with a pale face and looking significantly thinner, but thankfully conscious. She stiffened at the sight of the superhero and if she had the energy, she probably would have squealed out loud. She allowed herself to be hoisted onto the shoulder of the man. Hyejin didn’t know that Junmyeon possessed that sort of strength.

 

They stepped over Chanyeol’s body, walking out and descending the stairs to escape the place. Hyejin looked back at the unconscious man but was only allowed a glimpse before Junmyeon pulled at her hand for her to focus. It was as if he had eyes on the back of his head.

 

Once they stepped out of the building, she felt like a vampire. The brightness from the sunlight were shining into her eyes and burning her skin. How long had she even been inside? If she remembered correctly, it was only two days at most.

 

Fortunately, there weren’t many reporters outside the building, and there was an ambulance ready with paramedics at the side. Once they saw the three of them emerge, they immediately went over to lessen Suho’s burden and brought the girls onto stretchers.

 

As they were being wheeled into the back of the ambulance, Suho leaned over Hyejin, his face next to her ear. She could feel his short, quiet breaths on her skin.

 

His voice was hushed, but clear. “We’ll talk later. I’ll explain everything.”

 

That was all she needed to hear as reassurance that she was indeed not going crazy and there was at least going to be an explanation for everything. So much was happening in so little time. She didn’t dare to piece it together.

 

So, Hyejin just accepted the comfort of the stretcher that she was in and turned her head slightly to face Seungwan. Her best friend too couldn’t go to sleep after being caught in a whirlwind of events, the main thing being saved by her idolised superhero. Judging from the ecstatic look on her face, Hyejin concluded that it was only herself who knew of Junmyeon’s identity at the moment.

 

“Seungwan,” she called out, her voice scratchy. “Are you okay?”

 

The paramedics watched on, giving no sign of listening to their conversation. Seungwan perked up before answering. “Never better.”

 

Out of nowhere, the two of them began to laugh hysterically, up to the point where they had tears in their eyes. They laughed on and on, up to the point where the other people in the ambulance could take it no longer.

 

“Miss, please,” one of the paramedics approached Hyejin, looking a bit frightened. “You should rest first.”

 

She nodded, wiping at the tears. The panic, anxiety, confusion and relief had brought her to hysteria. So, as quietly as possible, she let the last of her chuckles bubble away and allowed the prospect of being not kept in the dark to satiate her restlessness.

 

-

 

Somehow, Hyejin let exhaustion overtake her and fell asleep as she was being wheeled into the emergency wards. She felt the doctors probe at her for a bit before finally succumbing to sleep.

 

When she woke up, the clock on the wall read two-thirty. The curtains were pulled open and it was bright outside. Amidst her grogginess, she realised it was afternoon.

 

“Darling! You’re awake!”

 

Hyejin was enveloped in a warm hug by her parents. It felt like forever since she had last seen them, even though it was only two days.

 

“We were so worried.” Her father’s voice was shaking and she wasn’t sure whether he was crying or not, because she was still held against her parents tightly. “We thought we lost you.”

 

After a few more moments, (enough time for her father to compose himself) they pulled away. Her mother tucked a stray piece of hair behind Hyejin’s ear.

 

“What happened?” Hyejin asked.

 

“Shouldn’t we be asking you that?” her father chuckled despite the worry showing on his face. “You slept for more than twelve hours, but the doctor said that it was because you were drained. Thank goodness, you didn’t have any serious injuries. He said you had a bit of pain at your wrists and you would probably be hungry when you woke up.”

 

Just then, her stomach growled. “Well, it looks like he’s right.”

 

“Here, have a biscuit.” He tossed her a small packet of dry crackers.

 

Hyejin bit into the biscuit, savouring the taste of food after not having any for so long. She took a huge gulp of water while she was at it. In between munches, she decided to tell her parents about what

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter