011

Hero
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyejin dreaded going back to school on Monday. Partially, because she was still quite shy around Junmyeon and would get a funny sort of feeling in her tummy. Mostly, she didn’t want to deal with her friends’ careless teasing. She had already filled Seungwan in with the details to their outing but they still had yet to talk about it in person.

 

She dragged her feet to the bus stop where she and Seungwan usually met up before walking to school together. It was a cold morning, but she was already feeling warm as she reminisced on how the previous day went.

 

They did watch Captain America, and Junmyeon was strangely more amused than disgruntled when she squealed over Chris Evans, the actor who played Captain America.

 

“I love superhero movies!” Hyejin had gushed while the end credits rolled. “I just love superheroes in general.”

 

She had expected him to show at least a hint of discomfort, but instead, he had a funny smile on his face. It was odd, considering he had the impression of a wild dog whenever Chanyeol showed up. It was funny to think that he found Chanyeol a bigger threat than Chris Evans.

 

They went to an arcade after that, and she found out that Junmyeon was surprisingly strong. It wasn’t that he didn’t look muscular, but the fact that he could win in all the strength-related games with relative ease had made Hyejin stare at him in wonder.

 

“What’re you dreaming about?”

 

A sudden voice was heard from behind Hyejin and she immediately jumped, startled at the sudden appearance of her best friend. Seungwan grinned and she swatted her good-naturedly.

 

“I could practically see hearts in your eyes,” she commented casually, revelling in how Hyejin’s face turned pink so quickly. “I’m sure you weren’t just staring at nothing.”

 

“So what?” she grumbled, starting to walk. “It’s not like you and Jongdae are any different.”

 

Despite her flushed appearance, Seungwan waved her away. “Oh please. He hasn’t even done anything yet. We’ve been hanging out after school whenever you and Junmyeon do your project but that’s just about it. And it might just be me, but is Jongdae acting weird?”

 

Hyejin thought back to the day of the temporary blackout. “Right?! I thought I was the only one who noticed.”

 

“It’s like he’s so antsy sometimes and it’s just so weird,” she shook her head. “And I keep seeing- Um. Nothing.”

 

“What were you going to say?”

 

“Nothing, it’s nothing. It’s kind of strange anyway.”

 

Now Hyejin’s curiosity was growing. “What is it?”

 

“Okay, I’ll tell you, but don’t think I’m mental or anything like that, okay?”

 

She gave an affirmative nod.

 

“Some really freaky things have been happening around him?! Like, the other day during the blackout, he acted super weirdly, and he kind of like controlled the electricity? There wasn’t any reason for the blackout to happen anyway. That wasn’t the first time. We went out the other day, and for some strange reason it started raining, but just in the area we were at! There were a couple of people across the street but it wasn’t raining above them. There was even lightning above us!”

 

Seungwan’s rant reminded her of how ridiculous she felt when she saw Junmyeon controlling water. A big part of her wanted to team up with her best friend to get to the bottom of the whole situation, but the rational side of her brain accepted Junmyeon’s reasoning.

 

Seungwan still wasn’t done. “And! In the café we were at, there was a blackout too! It was okay after a while though. We ordered some bread while we were there, and I swear when the bread came, it was soft and fresh. I turned around, and the next thing I know is Jongdae’s piece of bread is toasted! He insisted that it was originally toasted but I swear…”

 

In the end, the reasonable part of Hyejin’s mind won out, and her voice was soothing as she spoke. “Not that I’m just brushing off what you said, but it does sound a tad ridiculous. But for some strange reason, I had those types of episodes too, with Junmyeon.”

 

“Really?!”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter