004

Hero
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyejin and Junmyeon decided to head to the public library to continue their English project after school. Jongdae insisted on tagging along, not wanting to miss out on any ‘developments’, and somehow they managed to get Seungwan to meet up with them too.

 

She was donned in casual clothing, looking a tad sleepy when they found her waiting for them at a table. Her eyes lit up when she saw them approaching.

 

Hyejin dumped a pile of books in front of her best friend, grinning. “Here’s what you missed in school today.”

 

“All those times when I wanted to skip school and my mum didn’t allow me to were taken for granted.” Seungwan groaned, eliciting laughter from the boys. “I was bored out of my mind at home.”

 

“Serves you right for leaving me alone,” Hyejin sniffed. “I had to walk to school alone. I could’ve gotten kidnapped!”

 

Ignoring Seungwan’s eye roll, Junmyeon actually took her statement seriously. “You should’ve asked someone to accompany you. The crime rate is getting higher and higher. It’s dangerous.”

 

Heat rushed up Hyejin’s cheeks and she could faintly hear her other two friends cooing in the background. “Yeah, well, um. It was only for today, and I’m alright. Someone even offered to give me a lift to school!”

 

“Stranger danger,” Jongdae immediately countered. “He could’ve been a kidnapper.”

 

“He was nice!”

 

“O-kay there, let’s actually do some work.” Junmyeon’s voice cut through the conversation.

 

The other male raised his eyebrows at him sarcastically but didn’t comment any further. Instead, he smoothly moved closer to where Seungwan was sitting. “Need any help with today’s work? We can do our homework while they do their English project.”

 

Hyejin noticed her best friend scooting back ever so slightly and she had a feeling that they needed to have some girl talk later.

 

They promptly went into their English project, where they had to do a presentation on one of the themes of the novel they were studying. It was ‘To Kill A Mockingbird’, and they chose to do a project on the coexistence of good and evil.

 

“Do you think that good and evil can really exist at the same time and not cause havoc?” Hyejin asked thoughtfully, twirling a strand of hair around her finger absentmindedly.

 

Junmyeon shrugged, glancing over at the other two who were fully immersed in their schoolwork and each other. “Evil definitely overpowers good, whether we like it or not. In the novel, they lose their childhood innocence as they grow up. Evil Is unavoidable.”

 

“Yeah, but their father still manages to keep his faith in humanity while understanding and knowing evil. Rather than simply being good or evil, a person just has good and bad qualities. The important thing is to appreciate the goodness and try to understand the bad.”

 

“The thing about evilness is that the villains don’t see anything wrong with they’re doing and they think that they’re the heroes. Some people are plain psychotic, you know. Sure, we can try to change the world for the better but in the end it’s just a small percentage among seven billion people.”

 

Hyejin leaned back into her seat in awe. “Wow, you really speak well. But the thing is, you’re really pessimistic too.”

 

He raised a brow. “Pessimistic?”

 

“Yeah. Imagine if everyone had the same thinking as you. Then people like Suho wouldn’t exist.”

 

A small, almost cynical smile played on his lips. “How do you think he even got those powers? Was he willing to even be a hero in the first place, or was he forced into that position?”

 

“Why else would he be risking his life like that for people he barely knows? If it’s not out of goodwill, I don’t know what it is.”

 

He stared at her intently, like he was looking through her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter