020

Hero
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A man with a clipboard entered the room. He barely looked around before jotting something down with a yawn. Anticlimactically, he promptly left the room without a second glance back.

 

Junmyeon crept out of his hiding spot. “That almost gave me a heart attack.”

 

“I don’t care! Just tell me what’s going on! I’ve been waiting for hours and hours but I’m not getting any answers.”

 

“Okay, fine,” he let out a huge sigh, as if bracing himself for the long conversation. “Long story short, I can fly and control water. I started flying quite a long time ago and I started controlling water just recently. I kind of moved to Seoul after starting to fly to put it to good use.”

 

“But I want the long story! How did you get your powers? Did you fall into a tub of radioactive waste? Or is it hereditary?”

 

-

 

“Eomma! Are we there yet?”

 

“Junmyeon, we’ll reach Uncle Jumin’s house in a minute,” Mrs Kim answered absent-mindedly. “You can wait a little while longer, can’t you?”

 

He straightened up in his seat. “Of course I can! I’m a good boy, aren’t I?”

 

“Yes, yes,” his father caught his eye through the rear-view mirror. “Stay like that till we reach.”

 

“But why are we visiting Uncle again? Didn’t we see him a few days ago? You guys were talking the whole time while I was playing with Chanyeol hyung,” Junmyeon fidgeted. “What are we doing today?”

 

Before his mother could answer, the car pulled to a stop outside the Parks’ huge mansion. The small boy didn’t even wait for his parents as he bounded out of his seat to ring the doorbell.

 

Instead of the elderly man who usually opened the gates, it was a boy who Junmyeon had never seen before. The boy smiled hesitantly at him, the tips of his lips curving upwards.

 

“Hi! I’m Junmyeon!”

 

“Hello, I’m Jongdae!” he beamed after finding out that Junmyeon was friendly. “Nice to meet you!”

 

“What are you doing here?” he asked, head cocked to the side. There was no maliciousness in his tone.

 

The smile on Jongdae’s face disappeared. “I’m not really sure. My mum brought me here. She said I could meet new friends.”

 

A shadow fell over the both of them. They looked up to see the curious glances of Junmyeon’s parents. They greeted the unfamiliar boy and asked for his name.

 

“Oh, Master Jongdae! There you are!” the gate-man rushed over, grabbing the said boy. His other hand moved to open the gates for Junmyeon and his parents. Ushering them in, he led them to the large living room where many children were gathered.

 

“Finally, you’re all here!” Park Jumin clapped his hands together. “Good to see you again, sister.”

 

Chanyeol bounced eagerly in his seat at the sight of his cousin and gave him a small wave. Junmyeon waved back and took a seat next to Jongdae. However, next to him was a tall, sullen boy who looked the eldest among all of them. Truthfully, Junmyeon was a bit scared of his large stature, but mustered up the courage to sit next to him.

 

“What are we doing today, Uncle?” Junmyeon asked loudly.

 

He smiled. “I figured that you all should make new friends here. It’s much more fun than playing with the same old people, right?”

 

There were a few murmurs of agreement here and there. The tall boy scoffed.

 

“But first, do you all want presents?” Mr Park asked, gesturing for his servants to bring out the gifts. “I have twelve designs for all twelve of you. One each, okay?”

 

There were eruptions of loud cheers and bouncing as the twelve boys bounded over to where the servant was approaching. She put down twelve toy cars with different symbols engraved onto the bottom of each one.

 

Before everyone could fight for which one they wanted, Mr Park held out his hand. “Okay, Junmyeon’s parents and I are going to leave the room now. Choose the car you want and make friends, okay? Oh, and remember to eat the vitamins I put out on the table!”

 

Once he left the room, it was havoc. As expected from a group of rowdy boys, loud shouts filled the air as they grappled for what they wanted.

 

Junmyeon found himself holding two cars in his hands, unable to choose which one he wanted. The first one had a cool dragon design and the second had a pretty-looking water droplet. Jongdae, next to him, was fighting with a chubby kid over a lightning symbolled car.

 

Out of the corner of his eye, he spotted the tall boy standing awkwardly behind the group, watching the fights unfold. It was quite obvious that the tall boy was uncomfortable in the situation.

 

Junmyeon found himself walking towards the boy, a smile already forming. “Hi, I’m Junmyeon! What’s your name?”

 

His face was blank. “Do you want my English name or my Chinese name?”

 

“Um… Which do you like better? I’ll call you that!”

 

The tall boy fidgeted awkwardly, scratching at his face. “My name is Yifan.”

 

“Hi, Yifan! Here, have a car!”

 

He out both of his hands towards Yifan, urging him to pick one. After a long moment of just staring, he chose the dragon symbolled car.

 

“Thank you,” he muttered, playing with the car absentmindedly. “You’re nice.”

 

The both of them sat side by side, watching the chaos unfold before them. Junmyeon noticed that Jongdae successfully got the lightning symbolled car he was fighting over and the chubby kid was now grapp

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter