002

Hero
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I'm telling you! There was a burn mark! And it completely vanished!”

 

“Like I said before, we'll see it in school, okay?”

 

“I'm telling you, Seungwan! I saw it! With my own two ey- Oh hey Junmyeon!”

 

The said boy waved a little, looking up from his book. He was sitting in his seat in class, mulling over a History textbook. He had a hint of a smile which became more prominent as they came closer.

 

“Hyejin told me you got a burn, Junmyeon. How is it?” Seungwan prodded unashamedly. “She was worried all day yesterday.”

 

Hyejin hit Seungwan lightly as if saying Stop!!! What are you doing? But she remained unfazed, smirking slightly while waiting for an answer.

 

“Oh,” he chuckled. “It's all better now. It wasn't that bad to begin with, anyway.”

 

“But Hyejin said you-”

 

“Heheh, sorry Junmyeon,” Hyejin interrupted sheepishly, covering a hand over Seungwan's mouth. “I was just worried, that's all. Enjoy studying!”

 

She hauled Seungwan away from him to their respective seats as they watched a classmate, Jongdae, strike up a conversation with Junmyeon.

 

“What were you doing?” she hissed, a little wary at Seungwan's unfazed expression.

 

“What did it look like I was doing?” she laughed. “I was just answering your questions from this morning! And see, it healed already, no need to exaggerate on how bad it was.”

 

Hyejin kept silent, thinking over her words. Perhaps she was overreacting after all, maybe her eyes were playing tricks on her due to the lighting. It was impossible for someone to heal a serious injury in a day.

 

She groaned. “Great, now he's going to assume I have a crush on him.”

 

“Don't you?” Seungwan winked.

 

Shooting her friend a look, Hyejin's eyes drifted to where Junmyeon was sitting. Her mind still wasn't completely off the case, but he looked too innocent for any shady business. In fact, he kept quite a low profile but even his spectacles couldn't hide the good looks he was blessed with. It somehow enhanced his features.

 

There were stories all around school that he was the 'quiet, mysterious, new' student from a quiet countryside. He, however, didn't supply much information about his background, and no one was shameless enough to ask him.

 

Just then, as if he had eyes on the back of his head, he turned around to meet Hyejin's gaze. She was immediately taken aback, and promptly averted her eyes to her desk. After a few moments, when she deemed it safe enough to look up, she found out that she was wrong.

 

He was looking at her unabashedly, with a tiny, amused look on his face that had a hint of mischief. With a subtle raise of his eyebrows, he chuckled and turned back to his conversation.

 

Jongdae, who was watching the whole thing, laughed out loud and clapped Junmyeon on the back, prompting the other classmates to avert their attention to him.

 

“Aah,” Seungwan mused to Hyejin, sharing a secret look with Jongdae. “Young love.”

 

-

 

“Sorry, teacher!” Junmyeon suddenly got up from his seat. “I have to go to the toilet!”

 

His sudden outburst caused an initial confusion, which soon led to boisterous laughter. The class had been silent before he broke it, everyone studying by themselves during the after-school session.

 

He clutched at his chest as he exited the classroom. There were still a few snickers, and they were probably all glad after aching for something exciting to happen during the dull study session.

 

Why can't something more exciting happen?

 

Hyejin internally groaned as her eyes wandered aimlessly from her biology textbook to the clock on the wall. It was ticking, and it seemed so slow at the moment that she felt like it was taunting her.

 

Turning to her right, Seungwan was studying diligently. Now, she felt like her own friend was taunting her. She desperately wished for something to happen before her boredom would consume her.

 

Suddenly, a loud bell rang. It was weird; the session wouldn't end for more than an hour later.

 

Then, it was as if something clicked into the students' and teachers' minds at the same time when the bell rang continuously.

 

“EVERYONE, PLEASE EVACUATE THE BUILDING! GATHER AT THE SCHOOL FIELD NOW! THIS IS NOT A DRILL!”

 

There was a flurry of movements as the students scrambled in haste. Hyejin contemplated for a while about getting her bag or not. They were always taught to drop everything and run, but she could at least save her schoolbag, right?

 

It seemed that many others had the same thoughts, and without a second to lose, she swiftly dumped everything into her bag and swung it over her shoulder before grabbing Seungwan's hand.

 

As she was exiting the classroom behind her flustered classmates, she noticed that Junmyeon's bag was one of the only ones left. He still hadn't come back from the toilet. Well, he should've heard the announcement and he was probably already on the way to the field.

 

Letting go of Seungwan, she hastily swept everything off his desk into his bag, and swung it onto her other shoulder. There was pushing all over, and Hyejin lost her balance, finding herself bent awkwardly over a table.

 

“Are you okay?” Seungwan got a hold of her arm steadily. “Are you hurt?”

 

“I'm okay.”

 

Eventually, the students got out of the classroom into the open air. There was a tense atmosphere in the field, as everyone awaited the official announcement. Hyejin found herself next to Seungwan and Sehun, another classmate.

 

It was then when she was suddenly struck with what she wished for.

 

She groaned, burying her head into her hands. Stupid, stupid, stupid! She jinxed the whole thing.

 

“What's wrong?” Sehun asked worriedly. “Are you hurt anywhere?”

 

“Is it your leg?” Seungwan asked quietly. “You said you were okay.”

 

Hyejin lifted her head up from her arms and sighed. “I'm not hurt, just reall

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter