003

Hero
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Friends could like each other’s smiles, right?

 

That was what ran through Hyejin's mind after the image of Junmyeon's bright upturn of his lips kept replaying in her head. It was what she thought about after he left, before going to sleep, after waking up in the morning. She felt like a lovesick fool.

 

She didn't want to declare her so-called crush on him so soon, merely a few months after meeting him. She didn't believe in love at first sight; because who knew what hidden traits hid behind one's handsome face?

 

Also, there was something quite off-putting about Junmyeon. Hyejin always felt as if he was hiding something. He was always somewhat guarded in his speech and actions, despite being friendly with everyone. She wanted to know the real him that was hidden behind all his layers.

 

She wanted to know what he was like when he was excited, how he'd react if he was sad, if he'd hold back his anger, anything more to the seemingly golden boy. He reminded her of an idol on screen with their fixed smiles and practised words.

 

So, Hyejin concluded that she'd make that her mission. She would try to get to know the real Kim Junmyeon. And to do that, she would need the help of her best friend. She picked up her phone and tapped the screen a few times before speaking.

 

“Seungwan? Where are you?” Hyejin spoke into her phone, glancing at her watch. “We still have to go to school, you know.”

 

“I know,” Seungwan replied. “But my mum insisted I stay home in case anything else happens. She's paranoid that the fire-person is going to do something else.”

 

Hyejin sighed. It was going to be a lonely walk to school, contrasting the decent weather. “You left me waiting at our spot,” she whined. “We agreed to meet up here.”

 

“Your whining won't change a thing!” Seungwan laughed. “I'm still in my pyjamas, heheh. Enjoy your day at school~”

 

With another huff, Hyejin tugged on her backpack straps and began her journey to school. It was kind of awkward, really, with no one to talk to. It felt quiet and empty without her best friend's cheerful chatter.

 

Lost in her thoughts, she accidentally bumped into a tall figure, almost falling over. Luckily, he caught her in time, and prevented any accidents from happening.

 

“Whoah, are you alright?” his deep voice rang out.

 

“Yeah, I'm okay. Sorry, I wasn't paying attention.” she replied, smoothing her hair out of her face.

 

“Oh, you're going to school?” he asked, pointing at her badge.

 

She nodded politely, unsure of whether to answer him. Her mother always told her to never let strangers know about where she was going. He looked very handsome though, she noticed, as he blinked at her.

 

“Why? Am I that scary?” he chuckled. “Don't worry, I won't bite. Nice to meet you, I'm Chanyeol.”

 

“I'm Hyejin.” she bowed. “And if you excuse me, I have to get going now, I don't want to be late.”

 

“I can give you a lift if you want?” he pointed to somewhere behind her. “My car's right there, I can drop you off.”

 

“Ah, it's okay,” Hyejin declined. They just met, how could she simply get into a stranger's car? “I'll manage. Thank you.”

 

“Really?” he asked again. “I'm going to the Park Industries Firm, and I'll pass by your school.”

 

“It's fine,” she said firmly. “I'll just walk.”

 

“If you insist,” he finally resigned. “I'll see you around, Miss Hyejin.”

 

And with a small salute with his fingers, he continued his journey to hi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter