022

Hero
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“But now that all of this is over, I have to ask something of you,” Junmyeon requested, tensing up.

 

“What is it?”

 

“Let’s break up.”

 

His voice was quiet but the impact was indeed very loud. Hyejin’s jaw hung open as she stared at him in disbelief. It only took her about five seconds to reply. “No! Absolutely not.”

 

“What?” Junmyeon spluttered. “Why not?”

 

“Look at me in the eye and tell me that you’re doing this not to keep me safe and not involve me anymore or whatever,” she said seriously. “Because if you’re really insisting on going that way, I might just kick you in the balls.”

 

He grimaced.

 

“I’m serious!”

 

He let out a deep sigh. “Things aren’t as simple as you think they are. Actually, Chanyeol and his dad have been trying to get the eleven of us back together after finding out that the serums really worked. Obviously, I was the first one he could contact, seeing as I’m his nephew.”

 

“But what does he want all of you for?”

 

“Most businessmen who are involved in the underground business are just as involved in the ones you see every day. To have the power of eleven superheroes… There’s not much he can’t do. At this rate, he might even be able to threaten the government. But I’m just taking a wild guess.”

 

“Oh my goodness,” Hyejin slumped out of Junmyeon’s hold and deeper into the bed. “This is crazy.”

 

“Yeah, it’s crazy. That’s why I don’t want you to get hurt in the process. You’re innocent, and so is Seungwan. You shouldn’t be dragged into something as dangerous as this.”

 

“But don’t you see?” she burst out in a fierce whisper. “It doesn’t matter anymore! They already know that we’re associated! Even Chanyeol’s witnessed it with his own two eyes! Breaking up with me wouldn’t make a difference.”

 

Junmyeon’s face grew pale at the realisation. “That means- no, whatever I do, you’ll still be involved?”

 

“Yes! That’s exactly what I mean!”

 

“But I never wanted you to be this deep in the matter, Hyejin. I mean, it’s not just Chanyeol’s dad! I’m possibly a target for lots of nasty people because I stopped their crimes! They might use you against me!”

 

She sighed, exasperated. “But their target is Suho, right? Not Junmyeon, who has me as his girlfriend. Face it, the only danger I could face is Chanyeol and his dad, but I’m sure that I’ll be under watch twenty-four seven after I’m discharged.”

 

“B-but-”

 

“Stop making up excuses. Or I’m really going to think that you just don’t like me anymore.”

 

“I do!” he spluttered indignantly. “Why can’t you just understand that I want you to be safe?”

 

“Where else is safer if not next to a superhero?”

 

“Touché.”

 

“Now that it’s settled,” she muttered, satisfied, pulling the covers up. “Why don’t you just report Mr Park to the police? Chanyeol intentionally started a fire in the café that we were in too!”

 

“There’s no evidence, though,” he replied, adjusting himself under the covers next to her. “The police are investigating the place where you and Seungwan were held captive. Plus, Mr Park can probably buy his way out of any minute evidence that they find. And because Chanyeol’s fire came from himself, there’s no evidence of matches or candles.”

 

“Wow, he’s really got you guys cornered,” Hyejin remarked, yawning. “But justice always prevails, right? In movies, the superheroes always win. I’m sure we’ll be able to figure something out.”

 

‘Yeah, but this isn’t a movie. This is real life,’ is what Junmyeon really wanted to say, but the hopeful smile on Hyejin’s face made him bite his tongue.

 

-

 

Jongdae, Junmyeon and Hyejin were gathered by her bed the next day. Junmyeon called for a mini meeting in order for him not to say the same thing twice. He apparently had noticed something, and it was big news for them.

 

“What’s the announcement?” Jongdae asked, typing away on his phone without a glance upwards.

 

“I have a feeling that Sehun’s going to get his powers soon.”

 

“What?!” Hyejin exclaimed. “But he’s friends with Chanyeol, so…”

 

Jongdae finally put his phone down. “Wait, what does this have to do with Chanyeol? And how do you know that Sehun has powers too?”

 

“You didn’t tell him?” she asked, looking back and forth between the two.

 

Junmyeon ran a hand through his hair. “Long story short, Chanyeol’s dad is the one who made us get powers when we were little with a bunch of other kids, and now that the powers actually work, he wants to gather us to form his own superhero gang.”

 

It took a while for him to process everything before he let out a low whistle. “Wow. I need to hear the long version then.”

 

“I’ll tell you later, I promise,” Junmyeon answered. “The main po

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter