[An Old Friend]

You Fall, You Rise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

After more than five years, I was surprised to see him again. His appearance had somewhat changed - more well-groomed than before. His hairstyle was more slicked back and he was in a black business suit that showed off his lean figure. Then I started to feel a little embarrassed after I realized how well-dressed he was, whereas I was in casual loose clothing, hair tied up in a high bun, and I had no makeup on. 

'This reminded me of the movie, and the City, when Carrie Bradshaw said, "The odds of bumping into the one who broke your heart are incredibly high. The odds of bumping into him when you look like sh*t are even higher", it's true...' I thought.

“Mommy…” MinGuk called; I snapped out of my thought and drifted my gaze back to him.

“Let’s go home so Mommy could clean up your wound, okay?” I told him as I wiped the tears from his eyes, “Can you walk?” I asked and glanced at his knee.

“No…” he sniffled while he shook his head.

"No…?" I repeated, "I should’ve driven here…” I muttered and nibbled on my bottom lip.

'How am I suppose to carry him and his bike back home?' I thought and let out a heavy sigh.

“Do you need help?” WooBin questioned and I stared at him. “I can give you a ride,” he kindly offered. I hesitated for a few moment as I eyed on MinGuk's knee and his bike. It'd take at least five minutes to walk back home. Since MinGuk couldn't walk, it'd be impossible for me to carry him and his bike. So I had no choice and accepted his offer. 

“Thank you, that'd be great if it's not too much of a hassle...” I replied as I blushed in embarrassment. 

“It’s fine,” he responded with a smile and then he gazed at MinGuk. “MinGuk-ah,” he called, “is that your name?” he asked as he held MinGuk's shoulder, then MinGuk turned to him.

“Yes, Kim MinGuk,” MinGuk answered as he blinked away his tears.

“I’m your mommy’s friend. My name is WooBin,” he introduced himself to MinGuk and asked, “I'm going to take you and your mommy home, so is it okay for me to carry you to my car?”  MinGuk nodded and placed his hands on WooBin’s shoulders. “Alright. Let’s go,” he replied as he carried MinGuk in his arms. Then I picked up the bike and followed behind them.

Once we had arrived home, I took a first aid kit from a cabinet before I walked over to the couch where WooBin and MinGuk were sitting. I knelt down on the floor in front of MinGuk and then I looked closely at his knee to examine his wound.

“Mommy’s going to clean your knee now, okay?” I informed.

“I’m scared…” he whined and I glanced at him.

“It’s okay, baby. It’ll be very quick. I promise,” I assured and held his hands. He refused as he shook his head and pursed his lips in a pout.

"MinGuk-ah," I spoke softly as I cupped his cheek with my hand. From the corner of my eyes, I saw WooBin pulled out a book beside him which caught MinGuk's attention.

“Oh? What’s this?” he asked and he showed it to MinGuk.

“Oh! It’s one of my favorite books!” MinGuk replied and his eyes lit up as soon as he saw it.

“Should we read it together?” WooBin suggested.

“Yes!!” MinGuk shouted excitedly. WooBin opened the book and shifted his gaze at me and nodded his head.

While WooBin was helping me to distract MinGuk, I started to treat his wound. From time to time I'd peep at MinGuk to make sure he wasn't looking at what I was doing. After I had finished, I placed everything back in the kit. At that moment, I observed them as they were reading a book.

‘We dated for more than two years and I've had no idea that he’s actually good at interacting with a child,’ I thought as I propped my elbow on the couch and rested my chin on my hand and gradually a smile appeared on my face. Suddenly, WooBin gazed at me which caught me off guard. I quickly looked away and picked up the first aid kit before I stood up.

“Um…” I spoke, "It's all done," I notified. As I was putting the kit away, I could feel a flush crept up my face. I squeezed my eyes shut, feeling embarrassed.

“Mommy,” I heard MinGuk called and then I opened my eyes instantly, “I’m hungry," he said.

“Oh, okay. I’ll make something for you to eat,” I replied as I strolled to the kitchen.

“Well, then I guess I should go now,” WooBin stated. I turned around and looked at him.

“Oh, I-“

“No! Stay! Stay here!” MinGuk interrupted me as he jumped on the couch.

“Hey, don’t jump on the couch. You’re going to hurt yourself again,” I warned. He froze and stared at me before he dropped onto the couch.

“Pleasee, Uncle WooBin. Stay and play with me,” MinGuk begged while he rubbed his palms together.

“Would you like to stay for dinner?” I offered, “I’d like to thank you for helping us today,” I added. He gazed at me, but he hesitated to answer. Then I asked, "Do you have any plan? If you do, maybe next time?”

“No, I don’t,” he answered as he shook his head.

“Stay, Uncle Woobin,” MinGuk plead as he shook WooBin’s arm repeatedly. Then WooBin tilted his head sideway and stared at him.

“Should I?” WooBin questioned with a gentle smile on his face.

“Yes! Yes! Yes!” MinGuk yelled, “Stay and play with me!” he insisted and jumped on the couch again.

“Okay, okay,” WooBin agreed as he held MinGuk's arms to stopped him from jumping.

“Yay!” MinGuk cheered and threw his hands in the air.

While WooBin was entertaining MinGuk, I started to prepare dinner with the food that Mom brought from the day before. Fifteen minutes later, I began to set up the dining table.

“Dinner’s ready,” I notified them and then I went back to the kitchen to grabbed a couple of more dishes.

“You made this?!” I heard WooBin asked and I turned around.

“No,” I laughed as I walked toward the dining table, “my mom made it. All I had to do was put all the ingredients in the pot and cook it,” I answered as I laid out the dishes on the table before I sat down.

“Ah, I see. I was just going to say… I didn't know you can cook," he teased as he took a seat across from me, "Back then, you could barely even know how to turn on the stove,” he chuckled.

“Hey, that’s not nice…” I muttered, “Like you said that was before, now I’m different, okay?” I defended.

“I’m just teasing you,” he smirked and I sneered at him, “And yes, you are different now,” he stated as he began to dig in the food.

“So,” I started as I watched MinGuk eat, “How are you?” I asked.

“I’m doing very well,” he answered.

“That’s good. What do you do now?” I questioned and glanced at him.

“I do international trade,” he revealed.

“Really?!” I asked as I blinked in surprise.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter