CHAPTER XIX: Stories of the City

Say you won't let go
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

3 years ago

"Why?"

That was all what Dahyun could utter when Sana told her she want to break up.

Both are standing on the dark street under the light of the street post as Dahyun stares at her beloved who's now slipping away.  

"You dont mean that right?" Dahyun asked, looking for answers in Sana's eyes.  Her head spinning  from questions and her heart beating. She refused to believe it.

Sana looked at her and how she wished she would take those words back but she didn't.
"This is all wrong. We should stop this."

That phrase enough filled her eyes with tears. She wiped her tears and breath in "Where did I go wrong Sana?"

"No...I-I dont mean that,"  Sana said as she looked down, unable to look straight on the latter's face, "It's just.. It's my fault. Everything's my fault, Dahyunnie. I'm sorry."

Dahyun clenched her fist as she looked away and wiped the tears on her cheeks.

"I'm Sorry." Sana muttered again but Dahyun doesn't wanna hear it.

The younger looked at Sana and held both of her hands as she look at her with softer eyes, "I love you, I love you Sana. Let's start again. I'll forget about this, promise."

"No..." Sana said as she gripped tightly Dahyun's wrist, "No Dahyun. I've got enough of what I've done, I don't deserve you.  Don't say that, it breaks my heart when I hear you saying things like that. I don't want to be unfair to you anymore."

"Unnie, why? why did you fell out of love with me?" Dahyun said between sobs as she hugged Sana, gripping on her back, "Is something wrong with me?"

It was then Sana looked at Dahyun again,  "Nothing's wrong with you. and I didn't fell out of love with you, Dahyunnie."

"It's just I've been loving Tzuyu all along." Sana said stating the truth.

Upon hearing Sana, Her legsfelt weak as she sats down on the floor.  Sana finally said it. She knew it, she knew that Sana had always her eyes fixed on Tzuyu. She saw how the calm Sana would get angry over Tzuyu, She saw how this kind and unbothered person become restless when it comes to her. Tzuyu has always had a special part in Sana's heart. Long before she came, Tzuyu had dug her way to Sana's heart and she never left there.

But even though she expects the pain, 

It didn't hurt less.

"I love Tzuyu, no one but her. I've been lying to myself.. all this time." Sana said as she looked at Dahyun, and Dahyun swore it wasn't the same look when Sana says she loves her, it's full of love and so natural that it makes Dahyun chest hurt even more,

She looked down, trying to find answers.. trying to think what might've gone wrong or what she did-- but there's nothing. It's just that Since the beginning, Sana never loved her.

she felt as if she's drowning.

"You love her? Then, What about me Unnie? I... love you. When you tell me that you have been loving her all this time...Where was I?"

Sana then looked down, ashamed.  "You deserve someone who'll love you with all their heart."

She then turned her back from Dahyun as her last image of her is her head looking down with drops of tears on the ground. Dahyun wanted to fight-- but it's hopeless. She can't fight for someone who won't fight for her.  Worst part it, Sana did it so gently.. so kindly that she can't even resent her. 

Dahyun was left standing on the street alone as tears fell down on her eyes.  The only thing she can see in the blur of tears in her eyes,  Sana in a  white dress turning back on her and light coming out from the street post.

"what are you thinking about?"

Dahyun snapped out to reality when she heard Irene asking her. She looked at her just shook her head, "Nothing."

"Don't think anything sad," Irene smiles, "aren't you happy you're finally part of that prestigious exhibit. you're one of the chosen rookies!"

Dahyun grins, "I guess so."

Irene is Dahyun's friend for a long time who she met during the last year of college, She saw the changes Dahyun went through yet still stayed beside her. 

"Your  'Post light' is amazing." Irene said, "The texture, the lighting is so beautiful."

"Jinja? I don't think so." Dahyun sighs. She felt flattered when people recognize her work, but she still feel like she had a long way to go. 

"Though it was freaks out a lot of people, it was really interesting. Maybe that's why they chose you. " Irene  tells,"What is it about anyway? is it really about senator lee?"

(note: lee is just a made up name of a senator)

Irene is talking about Dahyun's painting 'Post light'. It is indeed deemed as  very interesting.  It's a painting of an angel killing the man under the light of post in one night. 

It's one of the most talked about painting of the year, asking what it is about. Some interprets as the angel is a person who people judge as good but didnt know that did a lot of wrong doings, Some says it's about the parents who tries to be strict thinking for their the good for their kids but ends up killing their happiness/passion or future dreams. And last of all, More interprets it about politics. About politicians who do charity works at day and do massive assassinations  at night pointing out to the most controversial Senator on the news today, Senator Lee. There are a lot of interpretations since Dahyun never did put an explanation. That painting gives chills at the same time a bit of sadness to those who see it.

But of course, nothing about their interpretations were right.

Dahyun's "Post light" painting is just about her first love--- who was kind, patient and loving like an angel but in the end killed her heart, The angel-like person turning back on her.

During that one night under the light of the street post.

xx--------xxx

"Wow!" Chaeyoung was all smiles when she saw Mina's painting hanged on the exhibit.
She is one proud girlfriend after all.

Mina is one of the most talented rookies nowadays, her style is filled with light colors with warmth & comfort bringing a smile on the faces of the admirers of the painting.

Chaeyoung looked at the title of the painting, "Tangerine"

Tha painting a view of  window with a piano on the side. the light of the sunset shines down on the objects making it on a tangerine shade. Chaeyoung smiles upong seeing the painting,
of course, it reminded her their kiss on that piano. 

The kiss that what pushed them into the love they have today.

"You painted it so beautifully babe," Chaeyoung grins.

"Thank you," Mina blushed.

"I don't even know what I did to deserve someone like you," Chaeyoung smiles.

"ahem."

Both were interrupted upon realizing, of course-- momo was with them that time.  Momo is there for Mina's exhibit too, She's her cousin after all. 

"I'm right here guys, Don't kiss in front of me. " Momo said flatly.

"Ugh, who invited you? "Mina rolled her yes.

"I came to support you, can't you be a bit kinder?" Momo said sighing. "Can't you see my good intentions." 

"As if," Mina chuckled, "You came here to take pictures and looking for your favorite artists"

Momo acted shocked, "you caught me!"

Mina laughs, "I understand you tho, we all want to get to know that mystery painter don't we?"

"yeah," Momo says, "Besides my favorite artist Maeda atsuko, I also want to see the rookie who painted that controversial painting, "Post light""

"That painting about senator lee?" Chaeyoung asked, recalling how she watched about it on TV last night.

"That's what the media says," Momo says, "But I feel different about it. It looks so sad-- it feels likes it's a personal painting  rather than political one. and besides, the style seems familiar to me but it seems different too. where did I see that kind of style before?"

"The painting expert said it so it must be it," Chaeyoung chuckled rolling her eyes.

"anyway, where's nayeon?" Mina asked, "why didn't you tag your girlfriend along?"

"She said Jihyo invited her for over" Momo says' "I guess she misses her."

Chaeyoung stopped, as if she thought of something,  then just nodded. 

Weird.  Momo thought but she brushed off her reaction.

"Hey~"
They turn heads when they saw a familiar crack-head, wearing a cute frilly pink dress, pulling another familiar woman along with her. 

"Sana-chan~" Mina smiles. Lately the two has been closer due to mutual interest and hobbies. Sana regards Mina as good friend.

"You came!" Mina grinned.
"Mina!! of course I'll come." Sana giggled and hugged Mina-- being the clingy friend she is.

"oh sorry chaeyoung, you don't have to be jealous" Sana teased.

Chaeyoung smirked, "I'm not but your Yoda is. "

Sana then stepped back and saw her jealous girlfriend glaring. Sana laughed nervously and smiles, "You know  I only love you Tzuyu-ah'"

"You better do," Tzuyu answered and it made Sana chuckle, clinging back to her girlfriend of years now.

"why do I feel so alone now?" Momo rolls her eyes, "where's my Nayeon!"

"oh yeah why didn't you tag her along?" Sana asked.

"She said Jihyo invited over."

Sana stopped and looked at her, as if thinking something. She just smiled and said, "Oh. okay."

Momo thought how weird that is, almost the same reaction as Chaeyoung, but brushed it off.   

All of them talk and walked around the exhibit, and saw great paintings with different themes.  Momo saw a lot of her favorite young artists, Maeda Atsuko was one of them. 

She wanted to ask for her  autograph so she lined up, but too late the young artist is about to go, she chased after her and ended up loosing her AND being separated from the others. She doesn't know now where she is. She passed by the door near the fire exit. She got closer when saw a man pulling a woman by the wrist--

and yes, she guessed it right. It's Dahyun. AGAIN.

"ya!" Momo shouted and came over. "Let your fist down or I'm calling the guards!"

The man run away. Momo stepped over  helped Dahyun stand up. As she got closer, she observed how Dahyun's dress a bit torn, and her cheek is red. Her hair is a mess. Overall, she looks pitiful. 

"Why do I always see you this way." Momo asked.

Dahyun rolled her eyes, sighing, " off, I don't even know you."

"wow,not even a thank you after I took you home before. I saved your drunk ." Momo answered, "Stop pretending you don't know me."

"oh yeah, I remember you now,your Sana's annoying friend." Dahyun says flatly, "You didn't have to help me. I don't need anyone's in' help! I want it to hurt. That guy-- he's a fling, a -mate. Got that?"

To Dahyun's disbelief, Momo did not even falter. As if she didn't even care. She wasn't disgusted, nor judged her. Momo just nodded.

"Alright," Momo says, "I don't care about that, don't tell me about your life."

Dahyun glared.

Momo chuckled, "You know you're free to do whatever you want. Just don't let me see you again. Because I can't turn a blind eye upon seeing someone hurting another."

Dahyun stopped and looked down. 'How can someone be this stupidly kind'  Dahyun thought.

"Do what you want." Dahyun sighs. 

"Momo~ " Momo turned her back when she saw a familiar person approaching them, "Where did you go? We were looking for you." 

Dahyun felt her world stop again. It was Sana.  

She couldn't help but feel her heart beating again. Flashes of memories came back, the happy memories and the sad ones. The love that still lingers.  

She looks the same woman she loved-- and maybe still does now.

Sana couldn't say anything for a second, "Dahyun? Is that you?"

Dahyun managed a smile, "Hi, Sana."

"You changed a lot, I almost didn't recognize you."

Dahyun smiles, of course. She's wearing tight clothes, her hair is messy. She looks like a garbage. She feel so little--- Why does Sana have to see her this way? She became conscious of herself. 

"a-are you doing well?" Sana asked. Dahyun sees the worry in Sana's eyes and felt her heart ache beause she knows kindness is the only thing Sana had ever given her. 

"I-I'm doing well!" Dahyun smiles, "This is just a costume for the exhibit."

"Costume?"

"You know , the painters sometimes  dress as our theme, mine is a bit about violence." Dahyun says.

Momo can't help but be amaze how Dahyun carried herself, without spilling the fact that she had been a wreck since Sana left her. That even though it's been 3 years, she was stock in a stalemate. 

"Painting? so you mean you are part of the exhbit?" Sana asked, eyes filled with wonder. 

"You are?" Momo queries.

"Yep." Dahyun answered.

"What's your painting titled?" Sana asked. 

" 'Fields at night', 'glory days'  & 'post light'" Dahyun answered.

"Post light?!" Momo & Sana both shrieked.

"You're that mysterious

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter