Chapter 19

Six Weeks till Forever

Seungcheol’s hand rode low on Jeonghan’s waist as they strode up the frat lawn side by side. Seungcheol had gone for the demon look, with black wings, smokey eyeliner, a tight, black v-neck tee, and pinstriped dress pants with a pair of decent shoes to go with the whole ensemble.

Jeonghan, on the other hand, didn't feel like pulling on his Harley Quinn costume Jun had so graciously chosen for him. So instead, he pulled on a pair of acid-washed black jeans and a worn pink hoodie with multiple holes here and there, with a fraying hem. He finished the look with his vans and crimped his hair before sloppily tying it back in a ponytail. Jun had huffed at his insistence of going sans costume, but given him makeup to make him look like he’d either gotten beaten up or just had really rough .

“Really Angel, you could've at least found a last minute vampire costume or something,” Seungcheol muttered, ushering him up the lawn briskly.

“First of all, no. And second, why are we rushing, it's a party at a frat house?”

Seungcheol sighed. “You know, Jeonghan, you’re getting on my nerves.”

He smirked. “Isn't that our game now,” he paused, tilting his head back so his lips were next to Seungcheol’s ear, “babe.”

Seungcheol just sighed in defeat. “Every other night, I would agree, but I'm tired, and Jisung is at the hospital right now because apparently he managed to make his arm worse, so I would appreciate it if you shut up, smiled for the show, and at least pretended to look happy.”

Jeonghan blinked. “What happened to Jisung?”

“Oh, hey Hyung.”

He glowered at the person who interrupted, but only saw Hansol dressed as a really dorky looking pirate with a hat that was too big. He was looking entirely bored with his life as he stood holding the door open.

“Hansol-ah, what on earth are you doing at a frat party, you’re a freshman,” Seungcheol asked bluntly.

The kid gave his cousin an incredulous look. “Uh, I belong to the frat? Really Hyung, pay attention to your family. I swear, when was the last time you talked to Soph, huh? She misses you, if you didn't know. Oh, and Mom and Dad say that you’re spending too much on your company. I mean, yeah, it’s a good company, but for real, Hyung, you’re in college. Get a girlfriend, throw back some shots, drive off a cliff into a river for all I care, just get out and stop focusing on the past, and yourself, because I don't know if you’ve noticed, but you’re turning into an egotistical jackass.”

Seungcheol glowered down at his cousin. “First off, Vernon, I talked to Sophia a few weeks ago. Second, I haven't been in my office for at least a month, and Jisung is handling everything fine. Third, I have a boyfriend, standing right here, that you just ignored, thanks. Fourth, I can tell you right now that college is not a good time for throwing back shots unless it's a Friday and you have no Saturday classes, and shots are painful, so no thanks. And yes, I speak from experience. And finally, Jeonghan tells me every other day that I’m an egotistical jackass, so yes, I did notice, thanks.”

Jeonghan nodded proudly.

“So yes, I may not have known you were in a frat, but you could've told me. And another thing, you’re not getting that internship at the office unless you change that attitude. Your mom and dad specifically told me to take care of you in college, and if you speak that disrespectfully to me again, you’re off the waiting list.”

Jeonghan had watched as Hansol’s face slowly grew more and more regretful with each word, and when Seungcheol was done, he just nodded with a pathetic mumble of “yes, Hyung.”

Seungcheol drew himself up purposefully and said, “good,” then tucked his hand into the back pocket of Jeonghan’s jeans and stalked inside, all but dragging Jeonghan with him.

“Bit harsh on the kid, don't you think?” Jeonghan hummed to the elder as the pushed their way into the kitchen.

“Nope,” Seungcheol replied simply. “Believe me, Hansol’s more resilient than he seems. He took that quite well. And I need a beer, so up you go.” Seungcheol patted the countertop. Jeonghan rolled his eyes but hopped up, watching as Seungcheol dug out a couple beers for them and popped off the caps. They shared them in silence, their newfound competition filling the air.

They had silently agreed to bend each other until one of them broke, snapping back to their old habits of sweet pet names and mornings waking up in the warmth of Jeonghan's bed as they spooned. One way or another, Jeonghan knew he would win. This was Halloween, and Halloween meant flirting, Halloween meant jealousy, Halloween meant heartbreak, and most of all, Halloween meant heartbreaking. Jeonghan knew exactly what would set Seungcheol off, and he knew how to manipulate any man into giving him what he wanted. It was just a matter of time and patience before the elder would snap, and wrap his arms around Jeonghan’s waist while whispering something along the lines of “I’m sorry, let's just end peacefully.” Probably with a more arrogant way of saying it, and maybe some yelling, if he knew Seungcheol. If he was lucky, it would happen tonight. If not, oh well. Even if it wasn't Halloween, Joenghan could pull out the flirt anytime he wanted, and completely bend Seungcheol to his will.

Party-goers came and went, and Jeonghan watched them all in a blur. He saw Minghao, looking like some wushu ninja warrior, Jun in all white, Mingyu in a red cape, and Jihoon dressed as what he assumed to be spring, to counteract his previous winter costume. But none of it held a candle to Seungkwan, who was decked out in red jeans with a blue bandana around his head and a yellow shirt with the word “canary” on it in black. He had a plume of red, blue and yellow feathers spreading from his shoulder blades and had even found the time to braid feathers into his hair. His eye makeup was truly a work of art, with blue shadow blossoming from his eyes, yellow eyeliner on his eyelids and red under his eyes. He wore blue doc martens with yellow laces to complete the look.

“Let me guess,” Jeonghan crooned, only a bit tipsy from the beer he had been consuming all night. “You’re Hansol’s parrot.”

Seungkwan winked, a fetching action. “Naturally. But I’m a bit lost on what you are.”

Jeonghan shrugged. “Let's just say I’m a human.”

Seungkwan winked again. “Intellectual. A different approach. Careful though. Losing your humanity seems to be a common theme with you this time of year.”

Jeonghan waved the diva off good-naturedly. “Why don't you sing something for your master, little bird. I’m sure he’d love that.”

Seungkwan stuck out his tongue but laughed as he left with a grape juice box, the straw caught seductively between his lips.

“I’m teaching him well,” Jeonghan mused. “He’ll soon be a heartbreaker worthy of my praise.”

Seungcheol sighed. “Whatever you say.”

A sly smile playing at his lips, Jeonghan set down his beer (what was he on anyway? Four? Five?). “Aww, someone doesn't seems too happy. What's wrong Mr. Devil? Angel on your mind?” He leaned forward, resting his chin on his palms as his elbows dug into his thighs.

“Quit it Jeonghan, I’m not in the mood to play with you.”

He frowned and slid off the counter. “Oh boo. What's wrong? You always wanna play after you’ve had a beer.” Or three.

Seungcheol shook his head. “There’s just stuff on my mind right now.”

Jeonghan sidled closer. “I can take it off your mind~” he sang suggestively, walking his fingers up Seungcheol’s bicep. The elder looked down at his hand, but brushed it off.

“Jeonghan, I told you, I don't want to play.”

He frowned. He could drop the act and be serious, but he'd had too much to drink for that. He huffed. “Fine then. I’ll go play with someone else.”

He turned and stalked out of the kitchen, fuming. Since when did Seungcheol turn him down? He had too much of a hold on the elder for this, almost anything suggestive he said would usually give Seungcheol a good reason to make out with him furiously for at least five minutes, usually more.

Just what was more important than him?

Jeonghan couldn't believe he was getting jealous over nothing, literally. He was fuming that whatever was in Seungcheol’s head was more important than a quick make-out session with him, and he didn't like it.

He stormed through the frat house looking for anyone who he could play with and leave behind like a cat getting tired of playing with a feather toy. That's all, they were to him anyway. Toys. He never really cared about any of them. He just liked to play like the cat he was.

Uncontainable

Untouchable.

Entirely Desireable.

Wasn't that what he was? Wasn't he the Halloween Heartbreaker? Then why was he so hurt that Seungcheol wasn't paying him any attention? It wasn't like they were a real couple. It was only for show, even more so since their scuffle last night.

Jeonghan was so pissed that he didn't even see the ginger man in front of him until his face collided painfully with the back of his head.

“Oh, Jesus, ouch,” he moaned, rubbing his nose.

“Jeonghan? Are you alright?”

“Yes, I’m ing peachy,” he muttered before turning a glare on whomever he’d just ran into.

Jisoo looked distressed at the prospect of being glared at. Or maybe it was Jeognhan’s use of vulgar language. Either one was equally probable in this situation.

“I’m really sorry, does your nose hurt?”

Yes, because that was why Jeonghan was upset right now, good attention skills Jisoo.

“No, Jisoo, I'm fine,” Jeonghan said. “I’m just pissed.”

“At who?” The ginger male questioned.

“Seungcheol.”

Jisoo winced. “Relationship issues? It didn't exactly look pretty when you two were arguing last night.”

Jeonghan scratched his neck. “Yeah, something like that. Look, is there somewhere quiet here? I don't want to be near people.”

Jisoo smiled knowingly. “Yeah, follow me. I’ve been hanging out in the lounge all night. Hansol unlocked it for me when I told him I was feeling claustrophobic, and it's a pretty quiet place if you want to talk.”

Jeonghan smiled at him gratefully. “Thanks. Seungcheol’s being a pain the , and there's no one else here who I even remotely want to talk to right now, so yeah, the lounge would be great.”

Jisoo grinned and grabbed his wrist, gently tugging him in the direction of the lounge. Jeonghan followed meekly, hardly lifting his feet from the floor as they moved. Jisoo was dressed as superman, only with a superman hoodie and jeans with red vans. It was obvious they’d both given up on costumes this year.

Jisoo led them to the lounge and they slipped in, locking the door to remain unbothered by outside urchins looking for a place to drunk-. It was a decent lounge, with a pool table and a few couches, as well as a bookshelf and a plasma TV with a vending machine and foosball.

Jeonghan made himself comfortable on the pool table, his ankles crossed as Jisoo threw himself down on a couch. “So, what is it exactly with you and Seungcheol? Heard you two slept together.”

Jeonghan made a mental note to slap Jun later. “Yeah. We did.”

“Then why the whole, ‘Seungcheol’s an egotistical jackass’ vibe I’m getting?” The ginger male questioned.

Jeonghan quickly put together a mental list of pros and cons of telling Jisoo about the agreement, but decided, why the hell not? It wasn't as if it would change anything. And besides, Jisoo was becoming a friend faster than Mingyu had fallen for Wonwoo in their sophomore year of high school.

So Jeonghan jumped into their story, leaving out the bits of him being the only one in Seungcheol's apartment ever, and the whole tragic backstory, simply saying Seungcheol had a rough time one night and needed some help.

Jisoo listened well, only interrupting a few times to ask a question that was actually important. When Jeonghan finished, he looked at the male, surprised to see him standing right in front of him. When Jisoo had stood up, he had no idea, but suddenly the man was right in front of him.

“You love him, don’t you?”

Joenghan sighed. “It’s complicated, but yeah. Unfortunately.”

Jisoo placed his hands on his shoulders. “Jeonghan, you should tell him. All of this will stop, and you can be free to love each other the way you want. And don't pull some saying that he doesn't love you, because if he calls you Angel, and love, and fought for you after hurting you, then he really ing loves you. If you hadn't told me that it was all fake, I would've bet real money that he was head over heels for you.”

Jeonghan looked down, not wanting Jisoo to see the tears that were threatening to spill over. “I wish I could believe that Jisoo. I really do. But I can't. And I hate myself everyday for falling in love with an like him, and I wish I could love someone else and not have to tell you any of this, but even though you’re saying it and it sounds so true, I really cannot believe that. I can't let myself believe that, nor can I simply believe that, because despite everything he’s done and said, I can't let it be real. If it was real, the pain would be so much worse, and it’ll be easier for both of us if we just deal with the six weeks and call it done.”

Jisoo gave him a sorrowful look. “Oh Jeonghan, I wish you could see how much he cares about you.” He pulled Jeonghan in gently, and he obeyed, resting his forehead on Jisoo’s shoulder and letting the tears fall silently.

But even after everything he’d just said, it didn't hurt as bad now. Maybe because he’d finally just let it all out, or maybe for some other reason, but he didn't feel as heavy, as broken and in pain as he had when he first told Jisoo everything.

He smiled tearily at Jisoo as he pulled back, wiping at his eyes and in the process smearing mascara across his cheekbones. “Thanks Soo. That helped.”

The ginger man smiled at him, then briefly let the smile fall as he focused on the mascara smudged across Jeonghan cheek. He wiped at it with his thumb softly, the calloused fingers brushing across his cheekbones in a fleeting way, causing Jeonghan’s heart to skip in a giddy way that he hadn't felt since his high school crush days, with the lacrosse captain Kim Jongin.

He smiled shyly and looked down. Jisoo smelled like church incense and Clorox, which was a weird combo that suddenly invaded Jeonghan’s nostrils and he coughed. “You smell like incense and Clorox,” he said, laughing.

Jisoo looked offended. “I do not!” He huffed indignantly, then sniffed his own hoodie and coughed as well. “I must've worn this to church sometime. Right before I left for the party I was cleaning my bathrooms, so that’s why. Sorry,” he said with a lighthearted laugh. Jeonghan smiled.

“No biggie. I probably smell like beer and cigarette smoke.”

Jisoo nodded sheepishly. “A bit yeah. But it goes with your ‘humanity is lost and aliens are real’ vibe you got going on.”

Jeonghan laughed and, in the spur of the moment, linked his arms around Jisoo's neck in a friendly way. The male only blinked before placing his own hands on either side of jeonghan’s hips on the pool table.

They shared smiles and random stories from their childhoods. And they casually grew closer through the night until Jeonghan had his head on Jisoo’s shoulder again and the ginger male was rubbing his back.

“This was nice, I liked it,” he hummed in the younger's ear.

Jisoo nodded. “Yeah, me too.”

They held that position, listening to the music and chatter from outside until the door burst open and a fuming Seungcheol stood in the door with an apologetic Seungkwan held by his ear.

“Get the away from my boyfriend,” he growled.

Jeonghan glared at him and hopped down from the table, Jisoo instinctively helping him with a well placed arm around his waist. He stalked up to Seungcheol and slapped him.

“I’m not your property,” He hissed.

Seungcheol reeked of alcohol, and Jeonghan could immediately tell that Seungcheol was worried sick about something, but he didn't giving a flying right now.

“Let go of my baby, you ,” he snarled. Seungcheol glared back but released Seungkwan’s ear. “Don't you ever touch him again, understand? Oh, and if you don't want to be single, I would suggest letting me and Jisoo live our lives in peace, and trusting me not to cheat on you. I’m in this till the end, Seungcheol, but if you can't handle me even being alone with a friend, then I suggest you go back to Eunbi, I’m pretty sure I saw her angel costume earlier.”

“Now I wouldn't say he’s just a friend!” Seungcheol growled. “With the way you two were holding each other? Yeah, friends my , Jeonghan. How the hell am I supposed to trust you when you do like that huh? Cause whatever you two were doing in here seems suspicious if you guys were--”

“Shut the up you idiot,” Jeonghan hissed. “You’re drunk Seungcheol, and you're worried about something, so I suggested going home and dealing with whatever's on your mind rather than taking out your emotions on me. We’ll talk in the morning.”

He whistled, catching the attention of a guy who went by Wonho who was in his journalism history class. “Hey hotshot, care to get Seungcheol outside so he can catch a cab off campus?”

Wonho nodded. Jeonghan gave him a quick thank you before grabbing Jisoo and bolting from the party, down the frat lawn and past drunken college kids with a need for ual attention and the desire for a hangover the next day.

“Run with me,” he whispered in Jisoo’s ear, before letting go of his hand and flying down the sidewalk, forgetting about his painful love for a man who could never love him the same, by nature, letting go of his sin that he’d committed with said man, letting go of everything giving him pain, until, all he heard was the wind in his hair and the blood in his ears and his heart pumping in his chest.

I wish I could believe.

You don't understand.

I love him.

But I don't belong to him.

 

I'm not your property, stop treating me like I am.

You can't love me that way.

Why do I still love you?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

welp. There's that. Hah. 

Y'all know the drill by now, and I wanted to let you know there's two more chapters until we're finished, so hang tight, it's gonna get bumpy. 

Love you awesome nerds!