Chapter 5: Private Byun Baekhyun

Camouflage doesn't suit you

 

 

Third person's POV

"Welcome aboard this Boeing 787, we will be reaching Boryspil international airport, Ukraine, in approximately 9 hours and 25 minutes. Please make sure to fasten your seatbelts before the aircraft begins to move, and make sure to keep it fastened during taxi, take-off, and landing. Smoking is prohibited on this, and all our other flights, there are smoke detectors in all the bathrooms, and electric cigarettes are also not permitted. We hope you relax and enjoy this flight."

~

~

~

~

Baekhyun leaned back against his chair, the plane hadn't even taken off yet and he already felt tired. But what Baekhyun had realized, was that there was hardly anyone else on the plane. He had seen one elderly man when he was making his way to his seat, and he thought he saw another young man, but that was it. The plane was made for up to 300 people, and it was almost completely empty.

He sighed, wondering what the reason behind this was. Were things that bad in Ukraine right now? Maybe that's why they needed lot's of new recruits there?

Baekhyun decided to push those thoughts aside, and take advantage of the situation. First, he fastened his seatbelt and waited for take off. A young flight attendant walked down the empty aisles looking for passengers, Baekhyun couldn't help but chuckle at the sight, then he stopped at Baekhyun's seat and made sure his seatbelt was tightly fastened, and continued his search for passengers.

The intercom clicked,

"Cabin crew perpare for take off."

~

~

As soon as his ears adjusted to the air pressure, Baekhyun unbuckled his seatbelt and stood up, then took 3 blankets (two from the chairs beside him, and one from his own.) and, after raising all the armrests, put 2 blankets across the three middle aisle seats, after that he laid down, draping the last blanket over himself, and had the best 5-hour nap he'd had in his entire life.

~

~

Baekhyun awoke to somebody lightly tapping his shoulder, he pushed himself up with his palms, and squinted at the person standing beside him. His vision was blurry, so he couldn't make out the person's face, but he could clearly tell that they were quite short.

"Y-yes?", he croaked, his voice raspy.

The person smiled, Baekhyun was quite a sight, his black locks were sticking out in all directions, almost defying the laws of physics. His eyes were still half-closed and almost unwilling to open. His face was covered in fabric marks fro the blankets he had been sleeping on. His grey sweatshirt had slipped off his shoulder, revealing a very defined collarbone. Yes, he was quite the sight, but also quite cute nonetheless.

"You must be private Byun Baekhyun, No.508, correct?"

Baekhyun abrubtly sat up straighter, pushed his sweatshirt back onto his shoulder, and wiped some drool off his lips. He also tried to pat his hair down, but that proved impossible. He then put his hands down and rambled nervously,

"Y-yes I am. B-but why do you ask?"

"Well, I was actually supposed to be your ", the person said sheepishly, "But, I had some complications getting to the airport, and was a little late. Please forgive me for my negligence.", the person then formed a 90 degree bow, making Baekhyun turn red in embarrassment.

"No, no. It's fine, really, please look up", he whispered, looking around to see if anyone was watching.

The person grinned, and said,

"Before we introduce ourselves, I'll assume you want to get washed up?"

Baekhyun nodded vigourously, and thanked him for letting him do that before they began introductions. (He wanted to look presentable.)

~
Baekhyun changed into a plain black t-shirt, and then searched his bag for some pants. But, for some reason, all the pants he had packed previously were gone. Wait a minute.....

flashback

"Baekkie have you packed all your things?"

"Yes mom, for the hundredth time.", Baekhyun exclaimed while flipping a page of his manga.

"Okay, oh, and I bought you a new toothbrush and some toothpaste okay? I'll go put them in your bag."

"Mm-hmm", Baekhyun nodded, too immersed in his manga to listen to her.

He didn't see his mother carrying a Levi's bag into his room with her.

Back to the present

Baekhyun groaned in frustration and almost plled his hair out of his head, internally smacked himself for being so stupid. Now all he had to wear, was a large variety of skinny jeans, and not a single pair of pants. He loved his mother, but sometimes he wanted to strangle her. He quickly then slid on a pair of faded skinny jeans, and some black converse, then made his way back to the person.

~

~

The person was sitting in the chair beside his seat, staring out the window peacefully. When he saw Baekhyun, he smiled, his eyes crinkled a little when he did this. Now that his vision was clear, Baekhyun could make out the man's facial features. He had large dark eyes, and slightly lighter slanted eyebrows which complimented them perfectly. His chin and jawline were smooth and perfectly carved. His lips were plump, and almost heart-shaped. His dark brown hair was lightly pushed back. His nose was perfect in Baekhyun's opinion, and he could swear his face was perfectly symmetrical. He was very handsome, and also quite attractive.

"Um, Baekhyun?"

"O-oh, s-sorry." Baekhyun hadn't realized he had stopped walking, and that he had been staring at him. He was as red as a tomatoe.

Baekhyun quickly put his bag back into the upper compartment, and sat down.

"I-I'm Byun Baekhyun, even though you obviously already know that.", he said. Then face-palmed internally for sounding like an idiot.

The man laughed ("Even his laugh sounds good", Baekhyun said in his head.)

"Well, it's a pleasure to meet you Mr. Byun. I am sergeant Do Kyungsoo. But, since we aren't at the base yet, please just call me Kyungsoo", The person held out his hand, and Baekyun was amazed, this was the first real sergeant he'd evr met.  He gratefully shook Kyungsoo's hand

His hand wasn't how Baekhyun thought it would feel. It was hard and calloused, signs of hard work and perspiration. It didn't match his soft facial features.

"Nice to meet you Kyungsoo", He smiled.

"I have a question for you Baekhyun, why did you decide to enlist in the army?"

Baekhyun went blank for a couple of seconds, then replied stoically,

"Because I want to become stronger."

"Are you nervous?"

"To be honest, yes I am. I mean, how tough am I compared to the other people there? They must be a lot stronger, and they must also have a lot of experience compared to me.", Baekhyun said meekly while playing with the hem of his shirt.

Kyungsoo said nothing, but laughed out loud inside. Boy, oh boy. Byun Baekhyun was in for one hell of a surprise.

~

~

~

~

Baekhyun and Kyungsoo spent the remainder of the flight watching K-drama's. Kyungsoo was secretly obssessed with a drama called 'Scarlet heart:Ryeo'. Which shocked Baekhyun, he didn't think that a tough sergeant would watch things like that. But, he decided to watch an episode with him. Halfway into the episode, Kyungsoo paused it and said,

"Hey, look doesn't the 10th prince look a lot like you?"

Baekhyun stared at the screen, then replied,

"Nah,not really."

Then they watched three more episodes until it was time to land.