Chapter 19: Pain

Camouflage doesn't suit you

 

 

Chanyeol's ears rang loudly, his body felt heavy, and his vision was blurred. He could see that he was surrounded by dust, the air was full of sand. He managed to raise his head slowly off of the ground.  He squinted his eyes and managed to make out a few bodies lying on the ground in the distance. He began to cough violently as soon as he tried to inhale any air, he was forced to breathe through his shirt. Slowly but steadily, he rose to his feet. His knees were a bit wobbly as he stood, but he ignored them and strode forward. He made his way over to the body closest to him, and knelt down. The body was facing away from him, he put a hand on it's shoulder and turned it the other way. As soon as he did, he regretted it. Lying in front of him, covered in blood, was Seargant Kyungsoo. 

"S..Seargant!"

Kyungsoo's lifeless eyes bored into Chanyeol's wet, hopeless ones.

"Hey..S-Seargant...wake up. Our base.....it's...it needs you" 

Kyungsoo uttered no response, he did not move an inch, and Chanyeol knew he never would again. He would never again yell at Chanyeol for being late to practice. He would never be able to laugh at his subordinates mistakes and help them fix them. His family would recieve not their son, but a lifeless body that was capable of nothing. This body that was powerless and helpless, was not what Seargant Kyungsoo ever was before. He was powerful, commanding and always in control. Chanyeol's lip quivered, and then he allowed himself to do something he hadn't done in a while.  

He cried. 

He let go of his shirt and cried openly. He coughed through his tears, his chest felt like it was on fire due to the air, but he didn't care. He felt constricted, as if he was choking. His heart felt broken. He cried, as if he would never stop. His hands gripped Kyungsoo's chest and he laid his head against it, still sobbing loudly. His head felt the warmth of Kyungsoo's blood underneath him, wetting his hair and cheek. Chanyeol's sobs turned into whimpers, he bit his lips to fully silence his cries. He pulled his dead Seargent's body closer to him, his tears soaking both of their clothes.

Chanyeol slowly raised his hand and closed Kyungsoo's eyes for the last time. 

"I'll make sure you are remembered, I promise", Chanyeol softly whispered  in Kyungsoo's ear.

~

~

~

Minseok ran through the base frantically, his heart beating wildly. He was looking for any living bodies in the midst of all the sand, and the amount of dead ones he kept on finding were scaring him. He stopped running, and knelt down while gripping his knees. He couldn't hear anything over the sound of his heartbeat. His breathing was ragged, and his thoughts were sending fear through his body. 

"What if everyone is dead?"

"W-What if J-Jongdae didn't make it?"

Minseok immediately shook his head after the last thought, and tried to compose himself. After his breathing evened out a little, he noticed a sound in the distance. He stood up and strained his ears, and managed to hear a faint sound. It sounded like a whimper, well whatever it was, it meant someone was alive. Hope flooded Minseok's heart, and he began to run straight toward the sound. 

When he reached the source of the sound, he found a weeping Chanyeol, lying on top of their Seargant's body. Minseok realized immediately that Seargant Kyungsoo was dead, and he decided that him being the older one, that he would have to be the calm responsible one.

"Chanyeol", he said as calmly as he could

Chanyeol's head jerked up, and he looked up at Minseok with pitiful eyes.

"M-Minseok", Chanyeol whimpered.

"Get up, we have to look for other people who might be alive",  Minseok's tone was so calm Chanyeol was secretly proud of him.

"O-okay", Chanyeol shakily replied.

Minseok gently helped him stand, and took out his white handkerchief. Which he gave to Chanyeol and told him to wipe his face with.

"Don't worry, we'll come for Seargant Kyungsoo later", Minseok assured Chanyeol.

Chanyeol nodded and followed Minseok when he strode forward seemingly confident. Chanyeol noticed Minseok's shaking hands, but did not say anything.

~

~

~

After about 2 hours of wandering around the dust filled air, Minseok and Chanyeol managed to find 20 other people who were alive, 12 who were mildly injured. Luckily, they had found Luhan, who was uninjured, and was able to help them aid the injured.

Although Chanyeol was happy they had found all these people, he was stricken with worry. They had not found Baekhyun, or Jongdae or Kris. He sighed and wiped his sweaty hands on his pants. Praying to God that Baekhyun and the others were okay, and at least alive. His heart ached everytime he thought of Baekhyun. He wished he could teleport to wherever Baekhyun was, and hold him and tell him it was going to be okay. He hoped that he wasn't hurt.

"Please be alive Baekhyun"

~

~

~

"Okay, the most likely situation is that they were taken by the Ukrainian troops that attacked our base. Does anyone know where these 3 soldiers were when the base was attacked?",  Minseok's authorative voice was loud enough for everyone gathered around to hear.

Chanyeol racked his brains trying to remember the last time he saw Baekhyun, it had been near their tent. Chanyeol's eyebrows furrowed in concentration, until finally, he rememberd.

"THE SHOWERS", he yelled out suddenly, startling some of the soldiers around him.

"T-The showers", he lowered his voice, "Baekhyun told me he and Jongdae were going to take showers"

Minseok nodded, "And what about Kris?"

"I saw him walk towards the shower stalls yesterday after he left our tent", Sehun's deep voice echoed through the air.

"So now we know that all of them were at the same place when the attack happened, and we know for sure that they are not on base. Private Park and I checked every inch of this place, and other than the people standing here, there are no living souls left on this base. They had no reason to leave, and seemed to have no intention to. So, in other words, they were forcibly taken. And by no means were they easily taken, they may have been seriously injured. They also may be....", Minseok took a deep breath, "dead"

Chanyeol squeezed his eyes shut as soon as he heard that word. He had had seen enough death today to last him a lifetime, and he did not want to see anymore.

"I will contact the nearest ally base, and inform them of our situation. Until I get further orders from them, you will all do nothing but rest. Understood?"

"YES!", Loud but tired voices managed to yell in response.

~

~

Chanyeol sighed and rubbed his red eyes, as he walked away from the group towards his tent. He threw his tired body onto his cot, thinking that sleep would be impossible after all he had seen. But, with a heavy heart filled with thoughts of Seargant Kyungsoo and all his dead comrades, he fell asleep staring at the empty cot beside him.

 

 

 

(a/n) I'm back!! and I apologize for the angst >_< Please continue to enjoy this story~ I love you guys