Chapter 20: Confusion

Camouflage doesn't suit you

 

 

"Ughh...", Baekhyun groaned while slowly opening his stiff eyelids.

His vision was blurry, but he could vaguely make out his surroundings. It looked like he was in a cell sitting against a wall, and he was facing large steel door. A small window coverebars was above him, leaving a patch of sunlight in the middle of the square room. Large dots and circles were bouncing everywhere in front of him, making him dizzy. He blinked hard, trying to make them go away. In a few minutes he managed to clear most of his vision. His head was pounding, but less so than before. Before.....

"MY TOES!"

Baekhyun realized he was wearing what seemed to be brown scratchy socks. He immediately frantically reached for the top of the socks with shaky hands, fearing what he would find underneath the scratchy material. He took a deep ragged breath, and then wrenched the socks off of his feet. What he saw made him gasp and bring a his hands to his face. He cried into his palms silently while thanking god. Because underneath those socks were Byun Baekhyun's, although slightly beaten up, untouched feet. His feet had been rolled up in bandages, and were very sore, but his toes were all there. All ten of them, he counted just to be sure. 

Baekhyun stared at the window in the ceiling of the empty cell, while relief flooded his limbs. He then looked down at his own body, and saw that he was covered in gauze and bandaging. The right leg of his khaki pants had been cut off, and he could see his entire bandaged thigh and lower calf. He could also see little scratches and marks all over his body, but despite all of this, he felt no pain. Except for mild soreness in his feet, that was it. He was thankful for that though. 

Baekhyun knew where he was, and was glad he was still alive. He wondered if anyone else besides him had been taken, and if anyone had been hurt.....or even killed?

Baekhyun shook his head and tried to erase any thoughts from his head. He simply stared at the floor filled with anxiety and worry.

~

~

Baekhyun was about doze off when the sound of  footsteps awoke him. He sat up straight and pulled his legs up to his chest, tensely watching the door handle turn. His heart pounding. The big slab of steel slowly opened, and a person holding a metal tray walked in. The person closed the door behind him, and approached Baekhyun. 

Baekhyun squeezed his eyes shut and pressed himself against the solid wall, wishing he could melt into it. He heard the sound of the metal tray being set down beside him. Then he felt two hands gently place themselves on his wrists, that were hugging his knees. The hands pulled his wrists away from his knees.

"It's okay, I won't hurt you. My name is Hakyeon, and I'm just here to treat your wounds," a soft voice echoed through the cell.

Baekhyun looked up while opening his eyes. In front of him was a kneeling man, who was wearing sand cargo pants, and a sand colored shirt and the same color boots. He had very dark black hair, and almond shaped eyes. He had beautiful dark, bronze colored skin, that shone underneath the patch of sun from the window. He didn't look like he wanted to harm Baekhyun, and his eyes looked kind. So, Baekhyun slolwly slid his legs down and lowered his arms cautiously, while looking straight at the man. 

A soft smile graced the man's features, "Thank you"

~

~

"Thankfully, you are not in a critical condition at the moment, you've been knocked out for the past 4 days. Your injuries were serious, but thankfully I cleaned you up quick and good", The man who had called himself Hakyeon gave Baekhyun a little wink, but Baekhyun looked away ignoring him. 

"Anyway, thankfully I was able to extract all the bullets that I found in your legs. At the moment you shouldn't be feeling any pain at all. You aren't right?"

Baekhyun shook his head while tracing circles on the ground.

Hakyeon nodded, "That's because I injected multiple pain killers into your body, you wouldn't have been able to handle the pain. But you may have experienced hallucinations, or headaches. That's totally normal."

"THAT'S WHY I THOUGHT I LOST-", Baekhyun suddenly shouted as he jerked his head towards the man, then bashfully lowering his head embarrassed beyond words.

Hakyeon chuckled, "It seems you have seen some hallucinations then. But, the pain killers will wear off later, so be careful when you move around. I would also like to apologize for not being able to provide a bed for you. But, we are low on supplies and other things right now, so this was the best room I could get you. I also made sure you were in a room by yourself, not in one of the crowded ones. Are you hungry? Because the cafeteria is open right now."

Baekhyun looked at the man confused, "W-What?"

"Well, you might not be hungry right now, but should we drop by the cafeteria and get you something for later?"

Baekhyun was dumbfounded. This man was offering to let him leave his cell......no, wait......this 'cell' hadn't been locked had it? And he wasn't chained up (dang Hakyeon do your job, sorry ignore me and my refrences ;)  Then he wasn't a prisioner was he? 

Then Baekhyun realized something that made him want to smack himself. If Jongdae were here, he surely would have slapped him. Ever since this man had entered the room, he had only spoken to Baekhyun in fluent Korean. His facial features also did NOT look like he was a native Ukrainian.

"Excuse me, a-are you Korean Hakyeon-ssi?"

Hakyeon smiled and laughed, "Of course I am"

Baekhyun was more confused than ever, "Where am I?"

"You are at Korean base 16 in Ukraine", Hakyeon stated, "You are originally from base 15 right?"

Baekhyun was bewildered, "Y-yes but h-hOW?! Ukrainian troops attacked our base then kidnapped me and Jo-"

"Hold up", Hakyeon held up his hand and cut Baekhyun off, "Slow down there, you weren't kidnapped by Ukrainian troops"

"WHAT? UM, EXCUSE ME, BUT I DID NOT JUST GET HERE MAGICALLY. OUR BASE WAS ATTACKED "

"But you weren't attacked by Ukrainian troops"

"I DID NOT JUST IMAGINE ALL THESE INJURIES YOU KNOW", Baekhyun was more than irritated now.

"Okay woah woah, I know. Yes it's true you WERE kidnapped, and yes your base WAS attacked"

"I ING KNOW THAT"

"Yes, but it had nothing to do with any Ukrainian troops"

"NOW LISTEN HERE YOU SON OF A-"

~

~

Hakyeon was amazed how someone as small and injured as Baekhyun could still throw punches very effectively.

~

~

"You're a feisty little one aren't you?", Hakyeon murmured as he rubbed his, now sore, arm.

"Hmph", Baekhyun exclaimed haughtily, "Now, please explain yourself to me."

Hakyeon sighed and nodded, "Your base was not attacked by any Ukrainian troops, or soldiers. It was attacked by a local terrorist association. The Ukrainian government has been after them for about a year now. We ran into them a couple of months ago, but were unable to capture any of them, or fight them. But, now, thanks to you, we were able to capture their leader, and save the 3 of you that they had abducted. It's a good thing that our bases are near each other, or else, you'd probably be dead right now"

It took Baekhyun a moment to process everything Hakyeon had said. He stared at his feet for a while. When he finally understood the situation he looked up at Hakyeon with very teary eyes. Hakyeon's eyes widened in surprise.

"Hey buddy, what's wrong?", Hakyeon stuttered in a worried tone.

"H-how f-far is o-our b-base fr-from h-here?", Baekhyun managed to choke through his tears.

Hakyeon smiled, "It's about a mile and a half from here, and once you're well enough t- HEY WHAT ARE YOU DOING?"

"I h-have t-to g-go...Ch-Chany-yeol", Baekhyun whimpered as tears flowed down his cheeks. He was using all his strength in the effort to bring himself to his feet. He had to go and make sure. Make sure Chanyeol was okay. Make sure he wasn't hurt. Make sure he wasn't in pain. It wasn't far, he could bear the pain, he would bear anything for Chanyeol. 

Baekhyun clenched his teeth, and pushed himself up, finally managing to stand on his two feet. Pain was shooting up from his two legs, and every fiber of his being was yelling in pain and telling him to sit and rest. But, he didn't care. He was going to go see Chayeol right now.

All the while, a stunned Hakyeon was watching this determined little creature in awe. Hakyeon knew that the boy must be in immense pain, but he seemed to be ignoring it. Hakyeon smiled with respect, he respected this fiery determined boy in front of him very much.

"Let's get you back to your base Private, shall we?"

It was at that moment that Baekhyun smiled for the first time in a while.

 

 

 

 

(a/n I can't believe more than 150 people have subscribed to this story~I appreciate you guys so much~I hope you keep enjoying this story~<3)