Chapter 22: Reunited

Camouflage doesn't suit you

 

 

Baekhyun's legs were on fire, his breathing had become ragged. Yet he continued to make his way through the base as fast as he could handle. His eyes darted around searching for Minseok. It took him about 5 minutes of walking until he finally spotted Minseok and Jongdae sitting on a bench outside the recreation tent. He noticed that his eyesight had become slightly blurry, but he ignored that and pushed himself forward.

"MINSEOK!"

Minseok and Jongdae both jumped at the sudden shout. Then they both turned to find Baekhyun trudging towards them. It was a sad sight. Baekhyun's cheeks were flushed, his eyes looked hazy. He was visibly sweating vigorously, his facial features were twisted in pain. He reached out his hand towards them pleadingly.

Minseok and Jongdae immediately stood up and ran towards him. Jongdae was able to catch Baekhyun before he collapsed onto the sand. He slid his arm around Baekhyun's waist and helped him stand with the little strength he had left. Careful not to cause him any more pain than he was already in.

'WHAT ARE YOU DOING RUNNING AROUND IN THIS STATE?!"

Minseok bent down and looked straight into Baekhyun's eyes with a serious expression on his face, expecting an answer.

"C-Chanyeol, h-he left", Baekhyun managed to utter.

"What do you mean he left? He left where?"

"H-He.....me", Baekhyun barely managed to whisper those words before he completely collapsed in Jongdae's arms.

"Come, put him on the bench", Minseok commanded. 

Jongdae slid his left hand under Baekhyun's knees slowly, then lifted him gently off of the ground. He laid his frail body on the bench, wincing at the pained noises coming from Baekhyun. It hurt him to see Baekhyun like this, for him to be in such agony. 

"Now go get Luhan, tell him its an emergency"

"I'm on it"

Minseok patted Jongdae on the back, then watched him sprint away quickly. As soon as Jongdae was out of sight, Minseok knelt down beside Baekhyun in order to inspect his condition. His breathing was obviously uneven, and his heart rate was far higher than normal. He was still slightly conscious. He placed a hand on Baekhyun's sweaty forehead and gasped, 

"Holy you're on fire"

Minseok ran into the recreation tent and grabbed a bottle of water, removed the cap from the bottle and poured some of the cold liquid onto his hand. He then began to rub Baekhyun's blazing forehead in an attempt to cool him down.

"I hope this helps a little, if it doesn't I'm sorry but please bear with me until Luhan gets here okay?"

"I-it's h-helping", Baekhyun croaked before his eyes fluttered shut and he was no longer conscious.

Minseok smiled and squeezed Baekhyun's hand gently, "You'll be fine kiddo, I promise"

~

~

~

"Ughhhh", Baekhyun groaned, his head was pounding and his whole body felt groggy. He slowly opened his eyes and realized that he was lying in a cot in a tent. The tent smelled very strongly of antiseptic. He knew immediately that he must be in the infirmary.

"OH MY GOSH YOU'RE FINALLY AWAKE!"

Baekhyun almost choked, "WHAT THE ARE YOU BEING SO LOUD FOR? GODDAMMIT I COULD HAVE HAD A HEART ATTACK!"

"Woah woah, okay then. Someone woke up on the wrong side of the cot today", Jongdae stated with a grin.

Baekhyun groaned at Jongdae's sense of humor.

"Don't you get it? You know how people usually say bed but since we-"

"I GET THE PUN JONGDAE", Baekhyun said exasperatedly.

"Just makin sure", Jongdae laughed.

Baekhyun oculdn't help but let a little laugh escape his mouth. But, then he remembered. He remembered why he had been so upset. Why he was so desperate yesterday.

"Chanyeol..."

"Anyway, so Luhan says that you see-", Jongdae stopped short when he looked down at Baekhyun who had become silent. Tears were flowing down his cheeks, and he was sniffing uncontrollably.

"B-Baekhyun?? Are you okay? What hurts? Is it your leg" Jongdae knelt down and grabbed Bakhyun's left hand.

Baekhyun shook his head, then lifted his right hand and placed it on his chest, "It hurts here, it hurts so so much"

Jongdae's eyes went wide, "JESUS ING CHRIST YOU'RE HAVING A HEART ATTACK! OH MY LORD LUHAN!! LUHAAAN!", Jongdae left Baekhyun's side and ran to Luhan's office. Baekhyun snickered quietly and decided to close his eyes and see what would happen.

" LUHAN GET THE IN HERE THE MAN IS DYING AND YOU'RE JUST SITTING THERE TAKING A NAP!"

Luhan raised his head from his desk in surprise, "WHAT?"

"I'M TELLING YOU BAEKHYUN'S HAVING A HEART ATTACK!"

Luhan sprung from his chair and flew past Jongdae straight to Baekhyun in urgency, he then ripped open Baekhyun's shirt and placed a stethoscope against his chest. While he probed around Baekhyun's chest he noticed that a small smile was tugging at Baekhyun's lips. Luhan raised an eyebrow, then gripped the stethoscope in fury.

"Jongdae, what frightening symptoms did Baekhyun show that immediately  made you assume that he was having a heart attack?", Luhan asked in a low voice without looking at Jongdae. His hands were suddenly holding a very sharp scalpel at that moment.

Jongdae gulped and he thought that this is what it must feel like when death comes to reap your soul, "W-well, he suddenly started crying, and when I asked him what was hurting he out his hand on his chest. So, isn't it natural to assu-"

"NO IT IS NOT YOU COMPLETE IMBECILE! THERE ARE HUNDREDS OF SICKNESSES THAT CAN CAUSE CHEST PAIN, AND MOST OF THEM HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE HEART. AND TO MAKE ME THINK THAT BAEKHYUN WAS.....I should just kill you now right? And RID THE WORLD OF YOUR STUPIDITY"

Before Luhan could lunge at Jongdae and commit murder, a large hand s around Luhan's waist. Pulling Luhan up against him, Sehun reached out and took the scalpel out of Luhan's hand and set it down on a tray.

"How about we go and take a little break hmm? You could use that couldn't you?" Sehun smiled down endearingly at his partner and used his free hand to brush Luhan's hair away from his tired face.

"I-I don't know what came over me..I'm so sorry Jongdae. It's just that, these past few days have been so...so", Luhan could not continue his sentence as his tears prevented him from speaking. 

"Shhhh, it's okay. You were amazing. I don't think anyone would be able to handle the amount of stress you have gone through. And compared to what I would have done if I were in your position, killing Jongdae is a pretty good way to deal with it", Sehun chuckled.

"HEY-"

"SHH", Baekhyun shut Jongdae up before he could start whining.

Luhan had a faint smile on his face, and he was staring up at Sehun in a way that made Baekhyun's heart flutter. Luhan wrapped both of his arms around Sehun's neck pulled him close and whispered softly in his ear, "I love you"

Sehun smiled against Luhan's cheek and whispered, " I love you too"

"GET A ROOM YOU TWO",  Jongdae yelled loudly.

~

Let's just say that Baekhyun was still able to throw good punches, even while laying down in a cot.

~

~

"What happened to your arm?" Minseok questioned Jongdae, who was holding an ice pack against his sore arm.

"Baekyun happened, ugh it's a long story that's not important"

Baekhyun laughed out loud. Minseok raised an eyebrow, but decided not to probe any further. He walked over to Baekhyun, who was sitting up in his cot and sipping apple juice from a juice box. Minseok smiled,

"I can see that you are feeling much better"

Baekhyun nodded, but then remembered, "I never got to tell you, it's Chanyeol he lef-"

"Left to look for you. I know, Luhan told me evrything. Don't worry, I sent Kris to find him yesterday. He only took a regular jeep, he can't have gone far. And  plus, we haven't re-filled the jeeps with petrol yet, which means he's probably going to have to stop at some point. So relax, he'll be here I promise. Don't worry, once he finds out that you're here, he won't waste any time getting here at all. Trust me"

"Thirsty hoe", Jongdae coughed uder his breath just loud enough for Minseok to hear him.

Minseok stomped on Jongdae's foot leaving him jumping up and down in pain.

"Shut up Jongdae"

Baekhyun stared at them in confusion, while relief and anticipation flooded through his body. He was finally going to get to see Chanyeol...

~

~

Chanyeol banged his head against the steering wheel, he was out of gas. He looked up at the sky and felt droplets of sweat form on his forehead, the sun was practically melting his skin.

"AGHH!", He shouted in frustration.

Chanyeol got out of the car, then slammed the door behind him forcefully, causing the door to become slightly unhinged. Chanyeol stared at the bent door, and laughed. It was not a happy laugh, it was a tired laugh. He was scared, scared that he would never see Baekhyun again. He was exauhsted, sad and stressed. The past few days had left him so emotionally and physically drained, he couldn't take it anymore. He let go of his body and let his knees hit the sand, he let himself cry. He sobbed out loud, louder than he had ever done before. He let his tears hit the sand beneath him, not even trying to hold them in. His chest was rising up and down rapidly, but soon it began to slow down. He could breathe a little better, and his tears had stopped. His chest felt less tight, and he felt calmer. After a few deep breaths he stood up slowly, and decided to start thinnking about a solution to his problem.

"Hey, um, are you done yet?"

Chanyeol jumped up startled, he then looked up and saw that Kris was standing in front of him with a slightly embarrassed expression on his face. Chanyeol's eyes widened, "YOU'RE ALIVE!! AM I DREAMING?!"

Chanyeol jumped on Kris and hugged him hard enough to prevent him from breathing, "Chanyeol..I can't...b-breathe"

"Oh my gosh sorry, I'm just so happy to see you alive and well", Chanyeol smiled with twinkling eyes.

Kris smiled back widely, "I'm happy to see you too. But, WHAT WERE YOU THINKING LEAVING WITHOUT MY PERMISSION AND WITHOUT INFORMING ANYONE YOU IDIOT! Is what Sergeant Minseok told me to rely to you"

Chanyeol gulped then shuddered thinking of the wrath he would have to face once he got back to the base. Wait...

"Kris, did you come here from our base?"

"Yes, how else would I have been able to talk to Minseok", Kris grinned.

"Did Jongdae make it to the base as well?"

"Yes, thankfully"

"W-what about", Chanyeol gulped, "B-Baekhyun?"

Kris smiled warmly, "All 3 of us made it safely to the base, a little bruised, but alive"

A wave of relief hit Chanyeol so forcefully that he had put a hand on Kris's shoulder to steady himself,

"Is Baekhyun at the base right now?"

"Yes"

"Then what the am I doing here. Oh my god let's go, and I'm driving", Chanyeol stated, as he began to stride forwards.

"Yes, sir" , Kris grinned.

~

~

Baekhyun shaded his eyes from the blaring light of the sun, he groaned internally wishing he could go back to sleeping in his cot. But, Luhan had insisted that he move around a bit, and exercise his legs for 10 minutes at least. To make sure he could still use them. It was a bit of a challenge, and a little painful, but he could handle it. Plus, he didn't want anyone thinking he was weak.

He continued to trudge through the sand with a small pout on his lips. After a while, he had reached the edge of the base without realizing it. Baekhyun looked down at his watch, and it had been about 26 minutes since he had left the infirary.

"I think this is good enough", Baekhyun thought to himself with a proud smile.

He was about to turn around and walk back to the infirmary, when he noticed a small speck of dust near the horizon. He squinted his eyes trying to take a closer look, and after about 2 minutes he could tell that it was a moving vehicle. He waited a few more minutes, and now he could tell that it was a sand colored jeep. He could tell it was from their base from the number plastered on the hood of the car. He wondered who it was, then he remembered what Minseok had told him about sending Kris to go and get Chanyeol.

Baekhyun's heart began thrashing itself against his ribcage wildy, he gulped nervously and clenched his fists. His legs began to wobble slightly, the feeling of longing was rushing through every fibre in his body.

~

"Chanyeol sLOW DOWN PLeASE!" Kris was on the verge of having a mental breakdown.

Chanyeol had been driving at over 100 miles per hour, which was not only dangerous but also caused Kris to become hysterical and suddenly start praying and asking  God for forgiveness for his sins at random intervals.

"Calm down Kris, trust me I know how to work this thing"

"Lord if I survive this, please grant me the serenity to accept stupid people the way they are. EVEN if they put me in danger of dying", Kris mumbled under his breath with his eyes closed and his hands on his chest.

"Ah, he's not listening, whatever", Chanyeol decided to ignore him for the time being. He would apologize later, but now, he needed to get to the base as fast as he could.

After about 35 minutes the base was in sight, and Chanyeol had never anticipated something so much in his entire life. He could make out each individual tent after a few more minutes, and then once he was only a couple of meters away from the base, he saw what he had been longing to see this entire time. There, standing barely 8 meters away from him, was Baekhyun.

He slammed his foot on the brakes and felt his whole body jerk forward. He quickly undid his seatbelt and got out of the car, leaving Kris alone to thank God for being alive. He shut the door and turned to face the person who had taken over his mind, who had made him feel emotions he never had before.  Every inch of his body screamed for Baekhyun, he wanted to hold him, to hug him, to kiss him. 

He stared at Baekhyun for a moment, so overcome with emotion he could not move.

~

Baekhyun could not believe his eyes, in front of him, just a couple of paces away, was Chanyeol. He could feel his heart jump out of his chest and run towards Chanyeol, he felt like he would suffocate if his heart started to beat any faster or harder. His eyes automatically and without warning, released tears that ran down his cheeks and onto his chest. How many times had he cried today? He had lost count, and for the first time in his life he did not care that he was crying. 

In a watery and shaky voice, Baekhyun raised his hand, pointed directly at Chanyeol and yelled, "PARK CHANYEOL WHERE THE HELL WERE YOU?"

Baekhyun's raised hand began to shake, and the tears had become rivers on his cheeks. He looked down and took a deep breath, then he looked up and saw that Chanyeol was running towards him. He bit his trembling lip, and then he soon felt two big, strong arms surrounding him.

Baekhyun wrapped his arms around Chanyeol's neck and pulled him close, he cried against Chanyeol's collarbones, getting his chest and clothes wet.

Chanyeol clung to Baekhyun as if he would never see him again, he burrowed his head in the nape of Baekhyun's neck and inhaled his sweet scent. He also had tears in his eyes, but he did not want to let them fall.

"Baekhyun I'm so sorry", Chanyeol whispered hoarsely in Baekhyun's ear, "I'm sorry I left the base I-"

Baekhyun raised his head and looked at Chanyeol with big, red puffy eyes, "No, you didn't know that I would show up. You didn't know that I was actually already here. You didn't know. Besides, I'm the reason all these problem-

Chanyeol's head jerked up and he cupped Baekhyun's face between his hands, " You are NOT the reason for any of this. NONE of this was your fault, okay? I swear if I ever hear you blaming yourself again I'll-", Chanyeol's suppressed tears finally escaped his eyes, and he could not stop them, "Don't ever blame yourself for anything that happened, if you do I won't forgive you"

Baekhyun nodded, then he caressed Chanyeol's wet cheek, "I missed you. A lot, like more than you can imagine"

"Baekhyun, I thought that I was going to die if I didn't find you"

Baekhyun's laughed nervously ,"Ayyy, come on. I'm sure you would've survived", he joked.

"Probably, but I would have spent the rest of my life looking for you"

Baekhyun blushed, "W-why would you go that far? I mea-"

"Because then I wouldn't be able to do what I've always wanted to do with you, until I find you"

"What you've always wanted to do with me? What i-"

Before Baekhyun could finish his sentence Chanyeol pulled his face forward, and planted his lips on the other's. Baekhyun's eyes widened, Chanyeol's soft lips were on his, PARK CHANYEOL WAS KISSING HIM.  Was he dreaming? 

Suddenly, Baekhyun felt Chanyeol moving his lips abruptly away from his. Baekhyun was stiil in shock but he immediately thought,

"No, wait. We haven't even actually kissed yet"

~

After Chanyeol had put his lips on Baekhyun's, Baekhyun had not moved. At all. He was as still as a statue. Chanyeol's heart beat fast, and his brain went crazy, 

"I should have asked him first right?? Goddamnit, what do I do now? What if he isn't into me that way, I didn't think this through did I?"

"What if he's actually straight, holy ing I never even thought about that, WHY DIDN'T I EVER THINK OF THAT?"

"Well , you've messed up everything way to go Park"

Chanyeol parted their lips and brought his hand away from Baekhyun's face, Baekhyun's eyes were wide in shock. Chanyeol could already feel regret rising in his stomach. But, before Chanyeol could say anything, Baekhyun suddenly wrapped his arms around Chanyeol's neck and brought their lips back together, now it was Chanyeol's turn to be shocked. Chanyeol had no idea what was happening, but he didn't care. Because BYUN BAEKHYUN WAS KISSING HIM.

~

Baekhyun could tell that Chanyeol was shocked at first when he had kissed him, but he relaxed immediately after. The kiss was a soft and sweet kiss, it was just pleasant. Until Baekhyun slightly parted his lips, giving Chanyeol full access to his mouth. Soon, both of them were panting. Baekhyun's nimble  fingers were entagled in Chanyeol's hair, and Chanyeol had his arms around Baekhyun's waist.

"I love you", Chanyeol muttered the words onto Baekhyun's lips.

Baekhyun felt his heart swell, "I love you too"

Chanyeol tightened his grip on Baekhyun, he would never let go of him again.

~

(EXTRA)

~

*6 minutes earlier*

"Jongdae put that camera down right now! You're invading their privacy", Minseok whispered angrily.

"Well whose idea was it to come and watch in the first place? Hmm? And besides, I'm making a collage and I need some cute photos to add to it", Jongdae stated while messing with the lens of the camera. Both of them were crouched behind a box of supplies near the edge of the base.

Minseok sighed and turned his attention back to Baekhyun who was standing with a look of awe on his face.

"OMG Jongdae look there's the jeep", Minseok pointed.

"EEEEK here comes Chanyeol to finally reunite with his damsel in distress", Jongdae squealed, "Aahh I love a good romance"

Minseok nodded dreamily, then suddenly realized something, "Jongdae, have you ever asked Baekhyun about his...um...ual orientation?"

"No, why?" Jongdae replied nonchalantly, then he realized, "HOLY WHAT IF HE'S A HETERO"

"KEEP YOUR VOICE DOWN", Minseok whisper-yelled.

"Sorr- oh my god look, Chanyeol came out of the car! And I think Baekhyun's crying!"

Minseok and Jongdae both melted as soon as Baekhyun and Chanyeol embraced each other, "Awwwwwwwhh"

"This is the epitome of uwu I swear. Sign me the up, make this a religion and I'll convert"

 "Hey look, Chanyeol has got Baekhyun's face in his hands. Do you think he's going to go in for the kiiiiisss?" Minseok wiggled his eyebrows

"Hmmmm, it depends on many things", Jongdae pondered, "Let's just wait and see"

As soon as Jongdae and Minseok saw Chanyeol pull Baekhyun's face towards his they were practically on the edge of their seats, then when their lips touched the first time Minseok was about to get excited, but Jongdae put his hand up, "Wait"

Minseok looked at him confusedly, then looked back at the couple. He noticed how rigid Baekhyun's body was, then Chanyeol moved away. Minseok and Jongdae groaned in disappointment.

"Oh well, maybe Baekhyun wasn't ready fo-HOLY-OH WOW-LOOK HOW THE TABLES HAVE TURNED"

Minseok and Jongdae were amazed at Baekyun's sudden dominace, and initiative. 

"I told you Baekhyun could top", Minseok whispered while staring fondly at the enterwined couple.

"You can dream Minseok", Jongdae whispered back.

"OOH DAMN CHANYEOL GOT SOME TONGUE ACTION GOING ON!"

"JONGDAE SHH! How many times have I told you to be quiet?" Minseok's words fell upon deaf ears.

"THAT'S RIGHT! GET YO MAN BOI!" Jongdae hollered.

"THAT'S THE LAST STRAW"

~

Jondae ended up with a very sore arm, and a not so exciting night to look forward to. Alll courtesy of Minseok.

 

 

 

 

 

 

(Hello guys! It's been a while but I finally updated yaaay!! ^_^ I hope you enjoyed this long(er) chapter, and please continue to enjoy this story <3 )