Chapter 7

Love Hurts

“Jessica…you have a sister?” I asked Jessica, who was spread over the couch, eyes closed.

I wondered how she could sleep so much and still look so fresh most of the time. Well, if you didn’t include the countless times she zoned out and stared blankly into space. But somehow, when she was around me, she paid her fullest attention to me, never dozing off and always giving me some kind or reaction. I thanked god every night for the angel He had sent me. I only wished that I could be more attentive when it came to her. Like right now, when I didn’t even know that she has a sister. Her eyes opened and they stared at me lazily. I could picture a tiger in her place, with fine fur that shone like gold with black stripes and eyes that glittered as they opened and eyed her like how an usual tiger would in while basking in the sun during an afternoon nap. To many, this tiger was wild and dangerous, with ferocity that was second to none, but to me, the tiger was tame, mild, cute even.

“I have a sister…and?” her voice was bored and she seemed to be at the verge of falling asleep again.

“You could’ve told me. What’s her name? Is she blonde too?” I sat on the couch, placing her legs on my lap.

She laughed tiredly. “No, she’s a brunette. Her name’s Krystal and I had no reason to tell you anyway.”

My face soured and I looked at her expectantly, prompting her to tell me more of her unknown sister. Her eyes only closed slowly and her breathing became light again. I sighed exasperatedly. The Ice Princess had fallen asleep in a matter of seconds.

“Isn’t it unhealthy to sleep 16 hours a day?” a mumbled to myself.

“Depends,” she said with her eyes still closed. “I’m used to it.”

“You can hear me?”

“Of course. I’m not a very heavy sleeper, you know?” she grinned.

I scoffed. Jessica claiming that she was not a very heavy sleeper was as good as saying I hate pink. If I had known any better, Jessica was the heaviest sleeper I have seen. She wouldn’t wake up to anything. Even if a bomb exploded next to her, she would still be fast asleep, snoring lightly.

“Taeyeon,” I said suddenly, experiencing the smooth feeling of her name rolling off my tongue effortlessly.

At the mention of Taeyeon’s name, Jessica’s eyes snapped open and she sat upright abruptly. I frowned, suddenly worried.

“Jessi, is something wrong?” My hands went for her shoulders, but she turned away, heading straight for her room.

She waved me off when I tired to talk to her, and all this while, I had no idea why she was reacting that way. I scratched my head, confused by her sudden change. I knocked on her door after trying to barge through but failing when I found it locked.

“Jessica? Hey, is everything alright in there? Are you okay? What’s wrong? Come on, come out. Talk to me,” I said everything I could think of.

“I’m fine. Please go away. I’m going to sleep,” a muffled voice said in reply.

Jessica

I had completely no idea why I felt a sudden pang of pain when I heard Taeyeon’s name spilling out of Tiffany’s lips. Those sensual lips. And they said Taeyeon’s name with such sincerity, such admiration that I couldn’t help but to get to my feet and walk away before I did something I would regret. Once in the privacy of my room, I leaned against the door, leaning my head against it and exhaling loudly. I could hear Tiffany’s footsteps on the other side of the door. I backed up, falling onto my bed and burying my face in a pillow. There was a knock on the door and Tiffany had said something. After a few moments, I finally replied, making sure that my voice didn’t betray me. I heard her sigh and then there was only silence. I was completely alone.

I recalled those times when she was still alive. I remembered then when she had showered me with limitless care and love. I could see her face so clearly every time I think of love. But now, her face is distorted; mixed in her face were some features of Tiffany’s face. I had yet to let go of her, and her scent still lingered in me, the absence of her touch still burned on my skin. But I didn’t let that get to me. I could’ve lived for years with only her in my mind, and did nothing but think of her. I played those words over and over again and closed my eyes.

“Jessica Jung…I love you,” she said with beautiful eyes that twinkled with sincerity.

“You left, Yuri-ah,” I could only say, but no tears came to my eyes at the heart-rending memory.

I have cried too much, and had saved no tears for later on when I really need it. My eyes were dry from the years of crying and hugging the picture frame to my chest. In those moments of vulnerability, I felt as if I was breaking apart, my heart torn into pieces, patched up, and then torn mercilessly again. Yuri had left me forever, never to return into my longing arms again. The pain thundered in my heart and had left a scar in me, a scar that throbbed and threatened to tear open again every time I thought of Yuri. Then Tiffany came, and for the past few weeks with her, I felt almost complete again. I could feel Yuri’s warmth and love in Tiffany’s arms. It was as if god had sent an angel just for me. As if Yuri had known my suffering and sent someone to help me. As if she really felt sorry and guilty for me.

 

Readers’ Note:

A little bit of Jessica’s past here. Let me explain some things; Jessica used to date Yuri before she died. Jessica is jealous because she has some unknown, confusing feelings for Tiffany and dislikes it when Tiffany mentions Taeyeon at any time.

Thank you for reading!

Yours Faithfully
Jazzign