Chapter 18

Love Hurts

Jessica

I stared at Tiffany wonderingly. My chipped and cracked heart was silent and I couldn’t hear the regular, dull throbbing that was usually present. A tear slipped past my cheek and I blinked back tears. These past few weeks…I shouldn’t have waited if Tiffany was just going to let me go in the end. After everything, was she just going to give up on me? Did I mean that little to her? No, that couldn’t be. If that was so, she would have let me go a long time ago.

“You’re not letting me go, aren’t you, Tiff?” I struggled to say the hoarse words that clawed its way out of my throat. “You’re not. You’re not, right?”

Tiffany’s impassive face gave away little hints of what she was feeling inside. Her face was blank, expressionless, and her hand did not venture anywhere near mine. Suddenly, my entire form began to flicker and I felt light-headed. The fluorescent lights ahead of me had become too bright, shining in a completely different intensity as it had before. I had a loud beeping, a silence, and the rush of footsteps. It felt as if my heart was being yanked right out my chest and I fell to the floor, grasping my chest. Breathing had become difficult for me and through distant, unfocused eyes, I watched as the doctor and nurses push Tiffany aside, now tending to my body on the bed.

“Jessica!” Tiffany tried to push past the nurses holding her back, but she wasn’t strong enough. “No, let me through! Jessica!”

I watched as they worked to get my heartbeat back, trying everything they could on me. Faintly, I heard Tiffany’s anguished cry and her helpless sobbing. That was when I realised that Tiffany hadn’t given up on me, but I had been the selfish one to hold her back. I had tears in my eyes as I stumbled back on my feet and staggered to Tiffany.

“You can’t,” another voice pulled me back. “Jessica, you can’t.”

“No, Yuri, I…have to.  I can’t. I can’t go now,” I muttered weakly as I reached out for Tiffany, now on her knees on the cold floor.

“Sica, you don’t have a choice. Your body is at its end. If it stops working, you have to go,” Yuri stopped me, hands clamped on my shoulders.

“I can’t, Yuri, I can’t,” I whispered.

My tears fell uncontrollably when I felt those strong, warm arms around me, enveloping me into a sweet embrace that I had longed for after all those years. My flickering form began fading away, slowly, like sand left out in the wind.

“We got a pulse!” the doctor yelled and they began to stabilise my condition.

I felt stronger again and my heart felt back in its place. The nurses fiddled with the machines and the tubes before neatening out my blanket and letting the sobbing Tiffany through.

“You’re an idiot!” Tiffany roared when the staff had left. “Why did you do that, huh? Why did you stop fighting? Your heart can’t stop beating now, not now.”

I continued to rest in Yuri’s arms, weakened by the sudden accident. I breathed heavily and looked at Yuri.

“Yuri, am I going to be like this forever?” I asked the question I had been meaning to ask most.

Yuri looked at me sadly. “I don’t know, Sica, I don’t know.”

“Why is this happening to me?” I leaned against Yuri’s torso, dry, broken sobs heaving its way out of me.

Thunder rumbled and lightning crackled outside as rain began pouring down. I could feel Yuri’s breath against my hair and that calmed me down a little. I could only watch as Tiffany flinched every time thunder rumbled. I couldn’t do it. I couldn’t hold her like I used to. I had failed.

Sometime ago, I had wished to be taken instead of Yuri, or to join her. I had asked for God to end my life quick and take me away where I could be with Yuri forever. But now, I couldn’t just go, not when I have so much to leave in Earth, not when I have just found my purpose in life.

“I’ll hold you till you want me to let go, Sica,” Yuri murmured comfortingly.

“I love her.”

Yuri froze. “Say that again.”

“I love her,” I repeated.

Yuri pulled away from me, walking away into an indescribable light. It was bright and hazy, everything unclear and blurry, but I could make out the faint silhouette of my past lover as she faded away into the light. I could’ve sworn that I saw large, beautiful wings unfold from her back, spreading into what no confined space could contain. That was pure love for me. Everything in my head was reeling as I stumbled backwards. Then everything was black.

Tiffany

“…Tiff…any…?”

 

Readers’ Note:

Yeah! *fist-pump* Finally, Sica’s awake. I did say that this fic is purely JeTi, not TaeNy nor YulSic. Anticipate Tiffany’s reaction! But! Taeyeon is still there and there will still be some more drama. Perhaps a little more, then JeTi will be in each other’s arms. Remember, Tiffany is still unsure of her feelings towards Jessica, even if it should be obvious by now. Oh well…

Thank you for reading!

Yours Faithfully
Jazzign