Chapter 6

Love Hurts

Jessica

She was so close to me. So close that I could see every fine detail of her face. I could practically see her eyelashes flutter slightly in the light breeze, her pupils dilating, and her lips twitching slightly. It was breathtaking, seeing her face up-close. My breathing caught in my throat and I turned away, embarrassed. I tugged my hands out of her grasp and turned away, clearing my throat. My movements were cautious and awkward as I fell down onto the plush cushions of the couch. After muttering some words, I had thought that she had gone to bed until she exclaimed something about her swollen eyes (I was too distracted and embarrassed to realise) and widened them for me to see. I held my laughter in, trying hard not to repeat everything that had just happened. She seemed to realise that I was on the verge of a laughing fit again when she sat down next to me and snuggled up to my arm. I was shocked. She had never acted this way before, being philophobic, and I was afraid that she might go into another emotional outburst again. When she only settled more comfortably into me, I relaxed. Our eyes closed slowly, and it was the shortest night of my life.

Tiffany

I woke up with my arm looped around Jessica’s. Glancing at her, I saw that was open slightly as she snored lightly. I smiled airily, and removed my arm from hers. The television was still switched on, murmuring incoherent words that I couldn’t make out. I switched it off and leaned back against the couch. Beside me, Jessica stirred, but didn’t wake up. I frowned to myself, confused at the changes in me. Almost a few weeks ago, I was a lost, lonely stranger to her. And now, I could’ve thought that I had become so much more. But this warm, fluttering feeling in me, it couldn’t be love, could it? I could swear that what I was feeling now felt nothing like I had five years ago. They were different, better. As I was lost in my own thoughts, the doorbell rang. Being the heavy sleeper that she was, Jessica barely stirred. So, I got up and opened the door, my eyes widening at the sight of the beautiful stranger before me. She looked like a small child, but there was a certain maturity to her. She was probably around Jessica’s age, though Jessica looked older than her. Dressed in a casual white tee and faded jeans, she stood at the door, smiling like a fool.

“He..llo? Can I help you?” I tried to smile at the stranger, but ended up failing miserably.

The girl scratched the back of her head in confusion. “Is this…where a Jung lives? Krystal Jung?”

“Jung?” I frowned. Jessica Jung…Krystal Jung? “Well, there is a Jung here. Jessica Jung?”

“Jessica Jung? Oh, that’s her sister; I must’ve gotten the wrong address!” she guffawed, shooting me an awkward smile that seemed apologetic.

“Tiff? Who’s at the door?” a sleepy voice yawned and a mess of blonde hair appeared next to her. “Oh? Who are you?”

Taeyeon gave Jessica the same smile, and something in me sparked. Maybe anger, maybe something else…?

“Jessica Jung? Oh, I think your sister might have given me the wrong address,” she chuckled. “I’m sorry for disturbing you.”

At the mention of her sister’s name, Jessica became protective. “Who are you to my sister?”

Somehow, Jessica’s cold glare didn’t seem to affect Taeyeon. Instead, Taeyeon gave her a carefree smile.

“I’m Krystal’s friend. She left something at my friend’s place, and I just wanted to return it to her, that’s all.”

Jessica’s expression became bored and she waved Taeyeon off as she laid down on the couch, sprawled without care or shame.

“Someone’s in a bad mood,” Taeyeon whistled.

“I heard that!” Jessica snapped from the couch.

Taeyeon jumped at Jessica’s loud voice, but laughed it off. I had never seen anyone so cheerful before. It became very contagious.

“So, thanks anyway. Sorry, for disturbing you guys in…whatever you guys were doing,” Taeyeon cocked an eyebrow suspiciously.

I felt my cheeks burn for no reason at all. “Oh, no, no! We didn’t do anything. We’re not…together.”

If it was in anyway possible, Taeyeon’s face brightened. “Oh, see you guys then. I’d like to see you around.”

With that, Taeyeon left, glancing back every once in a while and giving me those sweet, somehow dorky smiles that made my heart skip a beat. Somehow, something in kept on begging for more. My eyes already wanted to see more of Taeyeon, my heart longed to beat unsteadily again when I see her and my ears hoped to hear more of her loud, unyielding guffaws that could rock the Earth. I waited at the door until I couldn’t see Taeyeon anymore. I watched her take the lift down, and she gave me a playful smirk as the doors began to slide shut. I smiled to myself, lost in my own thoughts when Jessica called from the living room, sounding impatient and impossibly irritated.

“Hey, are you coming in?” she asked, one eye opened, eyed me warily, then closed back again.

“Yeah, I’m coming in,” and I was still smiling like a crazy idiot.

 

Readers’ Note:

Sorry for the short chapter, guys. I didn’t have much to write for this one. Well, at least TaeNy meet! They finally meet each other. Krystal isn’t dating Taeyeon, for your information. Er…some KryBer, only tads of it. Only in passing statements of family dinner parties or stuff like that. Amber is Taeyeon’s roommate. Krystal is Taeyeon’s friend. Get it now? Don’t get mixed up, now.

Thank you for reading!

Yours Faithfully
Jazzign