Chapter 19

Love Hurts

Tiffany

“…Tiff…any…?” a weak, hoarse voice only managed to whisper.

My head snapped up at the voice, eyes wide and ears perked up. I had thought that Taeyeon had returned, coming back to comfort me and apologise for her harsh words, but that voice was too soft to be Taeyeon’s, and too gentle to be compared to Taeyeon’s amazingly loud, unyielding voice. I felt something warm brush against my hand, as if someone wanted to touch my hand, but didn’t have the strength to do so. I heard someone inhale sharply, as if she couldn’t breathe properly, as if something was obstructing her windpipe. Only now did I dare to look into the open eyes of the Ice Princess.

She breathed again, her chest heaving as she struggled to breathe. “Tiff…any,” she tried again, softer this time.

Tears sprang to my eyes. This could be a dream, this could be a dream. But dreams never felt so real, so real that my heart was pounding so hard, it could fracture my ribs, so real that I could feel the warmth from Jessica’s hand that had been missing all the while. She was gripping the bed-sheets tightly, one hand trying to reach out for mine. Her face was pained and she looked at me pleadingly.

“Tiff…”

“Hey, can I get a doctor here?” I stuck my head out the ward and yelled for help before heading back to Jessica, trying to offer some form of comfort. “Jess, just hold on. Just try to breathe normally.”

My hands went for her shoulders cautiously, mindful of the wires and tubes that were attached to her. A doctor, flanked by two nurses, came rushing in. Again, I was shoved outside, forced to watch outside the glass door. I pressed my hands against the glass door, watching nervously. They pulled out some of the tubes and removed some of the wires attached to Jessica. It looked painful and I flinched every time they yanked a needle out of her, leaving only the IV drip. Soon, Jessica’s breathing calmed down and she could breathe normally again.

“She’s fine. She’ll wake up later once the morphine wears off. It seems that everything is in working order. The operation was a success. She’ll be fine,” the doctor smiled at me after scribbling something on the piece of paper attached on his black, plastic clipboard.

I was left dumbfounded for a few seconds. When everything sank in, I threw my arms around him and hugged him as tight as I could.

“Thank you, thank you, thank you for making Jess better again,” I whispered subconsciously.

After realising what I had just done, I pulled back, and coughed awkwardly. I watched his expression morph from shock to fatherly satisfaction. He patted my head and I gave him the brightest smile I could ever give. It felt as if my heart was exploding. His smile widened as well and he patted my head.

“Take good care of her. She needs plenty of rest,” he said before leaving, a new spring in his steps.

I ran to Jessica’s side, watching her sleeping form with content eyes. I had never felt so happy in my entire life. I held her hand and studied her breathing, her chest rising and falling with every breath she took. Although I was a little disappointed that she was still asleep, as how the Ice Princess always had been, it made me jump just to know that she will wake up soon.

“Come on, Jess, wake up fast. I need to talk to you. I miss you,” I leaned down, letting her hand brush against my hair lightly.

Jessica

When I woke up, my eyes felt dry, as if I had not opened them for years and my mouth felt as if I had swallowed sand. My limbs were numb and heavy and I couldn’t move them too much. It felt…different from my other experience. I had felt light and weightless then, as if I could float around, but I didn’t feel any lighter now. My eyes hurt, not being accustomed to the really bright light. I struggled to breathe. Something had pierced its way into my windpipe and it hurt.It took me all I had to stop the tears from falling. I called for the brown-haired girl by my side with the breath I had. She glanced up at my soft voice. Her expression changed significantly. I called for her again, trying to snap her out of her dream-like state. Well, I regretted it when a doctor and some nurses came in, shoving her aside and yanking needles out of me. Faintly, I watched Tiffany at the glass door. I would have cried out in pain if I had the voice and the breath as they removed the life-support. Slowly, the morphine they had injected into my system began working on me. I drifted off, my last image being Tiffany rushing to my side.

Tiffany

I waited till she woke up, pacing around endlessly, calling Krystal and hesitating to call Taeyeon, listening to Krystal shriek in joy and distant footsteps as she dropped her phone and headed straight to the hospital. I never left the ward, wanting to be the very first person she saw when she woke up. A slight flutter and I was right by her side, checking up on her. She stirred slightly and soon, I was greeted by mildly amused, loving and warm brown eyes.

“Hey,” I smiled and I took her hand. “You’re awake.”

She gave me a small, weak smile in return and her thumb caressed the back of my hand. “Yeah.”

“Wow…I’ve thought of all the things I wanted to tell you when you were asleep and now I don’t even know what to say,” I admitted embarrassedly.

“Then don’t.”

She pulled me closer to her and I obliged, not wanting her to strain so much when she had just awoken a few hours ago. I watched her closely as her eyes scanned my face with an unreadable, but tender light in her eyes.

“You stayed with me,” was all Jessica said with a small smile playing at the corner of her lips.

 

Readers’ Note:

Jessica has finally woken up! But the drama doesn’t end here. There still is Taeyeon. Don’t worry; the drama will be fun for now. What should I do now? What do you want me to do to them, readers? Oh, and please be patient. School is being a nowadays.

Thank you for reading!

Yours Faithfully
Jazzign