CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

LOVE REQUIRES SACRIFICE

4 YEARS LATER

“Haneul ah! Faster. Mommy will be late.” Chorong shout from the living room.

“Okay mommy. I’m coming out.” Then a little boy comes out with all dress up in jeans and light yellow shirt. Chorong just smile looking at her son.

“Omo! Look my son is a grow up boy now. But my little prince, look at the way you button your shirt?”

Haneul look and then smile at his mom. Chorong smile, kneel down and button it properly. When she was done, she put on a coat, glove and beanie on Haneul and then they walk out the house holding hand. After sending her son to the kindergarten, she rush to her work place. When she arrive, she greet her friend and ask “Is he hear yet?”

Her friend smile and shook her head “Nope he’s not. But why are you late missy.”

“My son wants to do everything by himself today. That’s why.”

Just then her boss came out from the elevator. Both of them stand up, bow and greet him.

“Chorong, in my room now.”

“Yes sir.” Chorong nod her head, take her notebook and walk inside the room with her boss. When her boss sits down, she start to read everything that her boss need to do today. Just after she finish she said “That’s all sir for today. Anything else sir.”

“Yes. Please call my son. Tell him where the hell he is. I’ve been trying to call him since this morning and he didn’t even came back home today. You are his friend. You must know where he is.”

Chorong smile and said “Yes sir. I will. Anything else Sir.”

“No. That’s all.”

Chorong bow and walk out the room. After she sit, she tries to call her boss phone using the office’s phone. She try several time but he didn’t pick up. She takes out her hand phone and start to call the boss son on his private number. After a few beep, the guy pick up the phone.

“Where are you man? Your dad is looking for you.”

“I’m on my way. I woke up late. Dad must be really angry.”

“His mad. He looks like his going to kill you Lee Changsub. You better get your here now before your dad changes his mood.”

“Okay...Okay. I’m on my way now.”

After 30 minutes, Changsub half walk half run out from the elevator. He look at Chorong and his P.A and ask “How’s dad?”

Both of them just shook her head. Changsub sigh and walk to his father door and knock. Then he walks in the room. Chorong and her friend Irene just laughs.

After half an hour, Changsub come out from the room and smile at both of the ladies.

“So how was it?”

“Well you know dad. Irene ah, comes follow me.”

Chorong just smile and while Irene follow her boss.

***

It was lunchtime, Changsub come out and said “Chorong, Irene I’m going to meet my cousin today, so I couldn’t have lunch with both of you.”

Chorong and Irene nod and Chorong said “It’s okay. Anyway we will be busy today since me and Irene going to the hall for the party next Saturday.”

“Ah! Talking about the party, are you coming Chorong?”

“I’m not sure Changsub ah. If I go, who will take care of my son?”

“Find someone to take care of your son. I want you to be there. I’ll be very boring tomorrow.”

“Irene is there.”

“I know but I need you to be there to. Please. There still time to change your mind. I hope you go.”

“I’ll think about it. Even if I go, I won’t have anything to wear.”

“ Don’t worry. You know I always buy for you and Irene dress. Please just come. Anyway I’m getting late. I’ll get going.”

He went. Then Chorong and Irene went for dinner to.

***

“Hey cousin. How are you? Sorry I’m late.” Changsub greet his cousin.

“Well you always late. Anyway I’m fine. How are you?”

“I’m fine.”

“So how have Korea been to you for this past 5 years since you came.”

“So far very kind. I’m surprise. So how was Austria?”

“It was good.”

“That’s all. You stay there for almost 5 years and that’s all. It’s good. You got to be kidding me Suho.”

“Well I didn’t go there for holiday or for fun. I went there to find peace.”

“So how? Did you able to forget about her?”

Suho shook his head. “It’s hard to forget about her Changsub. She was my lover of my life. She just leaves me like that with a letter saying that she couldn’t take care of because my condition and she was just really after my money. I just can’t believe that until now that she could write that.”

“I don’t know dude. The way you tell me about her before. I don’t think she is like that. You even told me that it was not her writing. There must be some reasons why she left you. Find her and ask her why she did that. Don’t just blame her. This so not you. Where is the Jun Myeon that will find the truth before accuse people?”

“I try to find her but still no answer. I don’t know. Let’s just change the topic. So how’s your business and life here.”

“Great. Business is doing great. Life is good. I meet my old friend that I use to tell you about. Remember. The girl that I really want you to meet before.”

“Wow you meet her. That’s fast. When?”

“5 years ago. When I landed here, I wanted to meet her first so I went to her orphan house. Surprisingly she’s still there.”

“Wow. Good job bro. So where is her now. Did you confess?” and laugh

Changsub laugh to and said “I don’t love her. She’s here. Working as my dad P.A. I give her that position since she was finding a job. So when are you going to work again?”

“I don’t know yet. Maybe tomorrow or maybe next week.”

“I forgot to tell you that our company is having party next Saturday, you know my company always have party for our anniversary. Why don’t you come? It’s a formal party, but then it’ll be fun especially when my friends will be there. It’s always happen every year.”

“I’ll think about it. Anyway I’m going to meet your dad this Thursday. He said he have something to discuss about.”

“Oh! I know about that. Dad told me.”

Then the food they order come and they eat while discuss about some serious thing and fun things.

***

It was Thursday and Chorong know that she will be very busy since his boss has to meet so many clients outside from the office at different places. Since she start to sit on her chair, since than the phone is always on her hand. Then Mr. Lee call her.

“Chorong ah, I need your help can I?”

“Sure sir. What is it?”

“I forgot the most important file on my table and I have to meet him in 30 minutes. Can you send that to me?”

“Sure sir. Where should I send it to.”

Mr. Lee tell her the place. Then they hang up. Chorong walk in the office take the file and walk back to her table to take her things. Just then, her hand phone buzz, she pick up to answer it.

“Yes this is her. What is it?”

“I’m sorry Ma’am, but your son is sick. He have a very high fever.”

“What? He was fine this morning. Is he okay?”

“Yes he is. He is still resting. I just call to tell you about this.”

“Okay thank you. I’m coming now. See you there.”

“Okay ma’am.” Then they hand up.

Chorong panic. Irene saw that and ask “Chorong ah! Are you okay?”

“Irene ah can I ask for your help. My son is sick and Mr. Lee told me to send this to him. Can you help me sent this file to him.”

“Sure Chorong. I don’t mind. You need to go now.”

“Thank you Irene. I own you for this.”

Irene just smile and nod. Chorong rush to the out the building and stop the cab. He ride the cab and told the driver to drive to her son’s school as fast as he can.

***

“So Son, how are you?” Mr. Lee ask her cousin. Well is his favourite cousin.

“I’m fine uncle. How are you? You still look fit.”

“Fine. Just a bit tired with this business. It’s good that I have a very good P.A to take care of most of my work. How was Austria Suho.”

“It was good. Your P.A is it the one that is Changsub friend?”

“Yes. A very sweet girl. She always smiles to everyone.”

Just then Irene walks in the restaurant and greet Mr. Lee and Suho.

Mr. Lee and Suho look at her. “Why are you here? Where’s my P.A?”

“To give you your file sir. She had a problem. Her son is sick and she starts to panic. So she went to pick her son up and she asks for half day today. I’m just telling you in advance. She says she’ll call you later.”

“Okay. I hope her son is fine.”

“I hope that too. Is that all. I need to make a move now. Still have a work to settle.”

“Yeh sure. Thank you Irene ah.”

“No problem sir.” Irene bow and walk away.

“So your P.A is a marry woman?”

“Yes she is. But her husband is not with her.”

“Not with her? Where is he?”

“I don’t know. She says he is not in Korea. He travels a lot. You know me I’ll just ask the important thing.”

Suho just not his head. Then they start to discuss about the business.

Before they say goodbye, Mr. Lee said “Don’t forget to come next Saturday Suho to our company anniversary party.”

“Sure. Changsub told me about this. If I’m free I’ll come.”

“I hope you are free.”

Suho nod his head, shake his uncle hand and walk to their own direction. Suho didn’t have feel to go to his office, so he just drive where his drive will bring. Then he stop at on tall building. He park and walk out. He went in the building and went up using the elevator. When he arrive his floor, he walk out and press the pin for the door and the door click. He walk inside and open the light.

“It’s still the same. Nothing change.” Suho said.

He was in his and Chorong’s apartment. Since he was out from the hospital, he never come here. His been living with his parents. Only Namjoo will come here to check or stay for a night. It’s been 4  years since Suho came here. He walk up the stairs and went to their room. He open it and he was imagine Chorong was on the bed reading the book. He didn’t know that tears start to fall. He still can smell Chorong’s perfume scent.

“Where are you Chorong? I need you. Stop suffering me already. I miss you so much.” Suho was talking by himself. What he didn’t know was, Namjoo was outside listening to everything. Her eyes was start to be watery.