Back home

Stranger

“Just as I said. I want you to be there at 10….alright, great” Siwon got into his office and ended the conversation as he came in his office. He then noticed something on his desk.

“What’s that?” he went and looked at the envelope. He called his secretary.

“Who put the envelope on my desk?.....Send him in” he looked intently at it until he heard a knock.

“Come in”

“You asked to see me?”Donghae asked.

“What’s this? My secretary said you put it on my desk”

“It arrived last night. It has ‘extremely confidential’ written on it. So I put it on your desk since you weren’t here last night”

“I don’t remember waiting for anything”

“Open it Siwon”

“I just hope it’s not a prank” the man said as he opened it. He then froze in front of the items.

“What are those Siwon? Siwon?”

“…Steph”

“Steph?”

“These were what Stephanie was wearing the day of the accident”

“Siwon, we already got Stephanie’s stuff the day of the accident” Siwon then opened his drawer and got a similar envelop. He finally opened it after a few months.

“What are those?”

“Those are not Stephanie’s stuff”

“What does it mean Siwon? Whose stuff are those?”

“I have no idea. But if what I’m thinking is true then…”

“Steph is… she’s alive?” Donghae then remembered the day he was able to get into the ICU.

“No way… Wait, what’s this?” he asked as he got a paper from the same envelope as well. Siwon took it from him.

                Don’t freak out Siwon. I’m sorry I’m late. Wait until I’m discharged.

                Both were in a state of shock. They didn’t believe what they were seeing in front of them. They didn’t believe that someone they thought died a few months ago was actually alive and well.

----

“Even if she can walk. I want a wheel chair. I don’t want her to get tired” Jessica said before coming in Tiffany’s room. As soon as she made her way inside, she froze. There, next to the window, was a woman in a white dress shirt and a pink A-skirt. As she turned around, Jessica didn’t know what to say. Her wife was finally back on her two feet and her face was as spotless as ever. Nobody would think that the woman underwent an accident that could’ve cost her life.

“You ok Jessica?” Tiffany asked.

“Ahem…for your reputation” Jessica said as she gave her their supposed wedding ring. Tiffany put it on.

“Don’t you want to tell me anything after all these months?”

“Good to see you on your feet” Jessica said bored as she waited for her wife to move. Tiffany then walked in front of her and leaned her face in front of the latter’s.

“I’m waiting.” Tiffany said pointing her cheek.

“Sigh…” Jessica approached slowly and pecked her cheek.

“Good to see you up and well Ms. Tiffany” a nurse said as she came in with the wheel chair. Tiffany sat in it and when the same nurse was about to help her out, the redhead declined.

“Jessi, you do it” Jessica was frozen not understanding what was happening. She finally snapped out of it as she approached Tiffany and hesitantly grabbed the chair’s handles. They made their way to the elevator and went downstairs. As Jessica received a call that assured them a car was waiting for them downstairs, they finally made it to the hospital entrance, where reporters were blocking the way.

“Ms. Tiffany, good to see you again. What exactly happened?” one of them asked.

“What do you have to say about your stay at the hospital for such a long time?” another tried.

“People, my wife is tired and I don’t want anybody bothering her right now” Jessica spoke with authority.

“No, baby. I want to talk to them. Don’t worry” Jessica was once again frozen, replaying the pet name in her head.

“What do you feel after the long operation Ms. Jung?” one asked.

“I feel new. As if reborn”

“Ms. Jung, did your new face bother you?”

“I consider it the beginning of something new. It’s like something that came to wake me up and tell me this is who I am after the accident”

“So you are not yourself?” Donghae asked.

“We’re all a little different once in a while. Good thing my daughter and I are still alive”

“What do you think about your wife’s candidature?”

“I, of course, wish her luck.” Tiffany reached for Jessica’s hand.

“Alright, Tiffany. Let’s go. Thank you guys for caring” Jessica said before wheeling Tiffany away with the help of security. Jessica helped Tiffany to the car. Before she could make her way inside, Donghae spoke again.

“What’s your favorite food Ms.?”

“I like Pizza a lot. Roman Pizza” she said before getting in. Donghae was left dumbfounded as the car drove away.

“What were you talking about?” Jessica asked bored.

“I was just helping the world see us as a happy family”

“I meant with the Pizza thing”

“Oh, it’s nothing. I was just kidding. I’m sure the journalist was as well”

“I thought so, since you hate Pizza. Although, if you did make it to Rome, you would’ve seen Pizza everywhere” Tiffany smiled.

“Why are you smiling like that?”

“Would you believe me if I said that I forgot I was traveling to Rome? All these months in the hospital made me forget”

“Of course. But you didn’t forget the reason of going there. Look at your body and you’d understand what I’m talking about. All your clothes are now big on you. You should get a chance to go shopping before…”

“Before what? Before you file a divorce?” Tiffany asked as she held Jessica’s chin making her look at her.

“Appreciate it while you can. Before we split” Jessica answered getting rid of the hand. (Un)fortunately, Stephanie wasn’t going to give up. She held Jessica’s hand and brought it to her lap. She played with her fingers.

“I want to appreciate your presence next to me, without thinking about that. I don’t even care about clothes right now” Jessica slipped her hand away.

“Drive faster please” the blonde asked the driver.

----

“It’s her! It’s her! It’s her! It’s her! It’s her!” Donghae said rushing into Siwon’s office.

“What the hell are you talking about?” Siwon asked.

“It’s her! It’s Steph! I saw her!”

“Where?”

“She got out of the hospital today!! I’ll show you!” Donghae said as he got the CD into Siwon’s computer and started it. The boss saw what happened a few minutes ago.

“Pizza…Donghae, the truth isn’t this easy”

“Siwon, it has to be her! Her stance, her tics! I’m telling you; it’s her!”

“But her voice is different”

“I know why! I asked the hospital!”

“What did they say!?”

“I came to understand that Jessica Jung’s wife survived the accident, but her face was broken. She had to undergo surgery and months of recovery! It’s her! I’m telling you, it’s Steph!”

“How can Jessica not notice the difference then?”

“They resembled each other anyways! I looked into their pictures, and they used to resemble each other greatly! I’m telling you! It’s her! You just wait and see!”

“Why is she doing that? What is that game she’s playing?” Siwon thought lowly.

                Meanwhile, Jessica and Stephanie arrived at the villa. The driver pulled right in front of the entrance so that the newly discharged wouldn’t have to walk long distances.

“Easy” Jessica said as she helped Tiffany out of the car. The latter looked at her a little surprised, but accepted the help nonetheless and let Jessica hold her arm. Before going in, Prince ran and made his way towards them. Tiffany knelt down and started petting him.

“What are you doing?” Jessica asked.

“Petting him of course. Why? Is it forbidden?”

“No it’s not. It’s just, you’ve never done this before. You used to hate him. And feelings were mutual”

“It must be because my face changed; I think he didn’t recognize me”

“Yeah, but he didn’t change. Yet you’re petting him and being nice to him”

“Do you think I started liking everybody?” Tiffany answered mysteriously. They decided to make their way inside, where everybody was waiting for them. The moment they got in, they found Seohyun with Hana. The little girl was still hiding behind the housekeeper’s legs as her mother knelt down and asked her to come closer. The girl implied and Tiffany held her hands instantly.

“How do you find her Ms. Tiffany? Did she change since the last time you’ve seen her? Did she gain or lose weight?”

“Doesn’t really matter. The important thing is that I see her now. I’ve missed you Seohyun-ie” at that moment, Julia joined them in the hall.

“Hana-ssi took extra care when it came to her food. We all did actually”

“Thanks Hana-ssi. And everybody for taking care of her when I wasn’t around” the housekeeper smiled back at Tiffany.

“Ahem. Keep the girl with you for now please. Come on” Jessica ordered as she held the redhead’s arm to the salon. The moment they made their way inside, Taeyeon jumped on his feet.

“Good to see you up after all these months” he shook Tiffany’s hand.

“Thanks”

“That’s a surprise. How come he didn’t get a hug for that? It’s a shame, cause he was really preoccupied for you all along” Sunny asked drunk once more.

“I.I know everybody was. I’m sorry for being a hassle.” She then hugged Taeyeon shortly. Jessica looked away at the sight.

“And here’s one for you too” Tiffany said before strutting her way to her sister in law and hugging her as well.

“I’m waiting for mine!” Tony said with his arms opened. The newly discharged chuckled and did as she was told.

“I’ve missed everybody”

“Take Seohyun to her room please” Jessica said to Hana.

“No, no! Why her room? Keep her with us…if she wants to” Tiffany lost her confidence when she saw Seohyun clinging unto the housekeeper again.

“I want to go to my room” the little girl said before she was dragged away.

“Is someone still threatening Jessica?” she asked as she saw Yuri.

“…I see you’ve been hearing us”

“Be careful. Both of you. You’re still the one in charge for the whole presidency project, Yuri. Please protect her”

“I’ll try my best. Good to see you again”

“Thanks. How are you, YoonA?”

“I’m doing fine. How are you Unnie?”

“I’m doing ok now” She hugged the teen.

“You’ve lost some weight, Unnie”

“That’s what they said. Anyways, thank you all for taking care of Seohyun while I wasn’t around. I really appreciate it”

“You what?” Sunny asked.

“I appreciate that Juhyun didn’t feel lonely…”

“Pff….hahahaha! Wow, that’s new” the shot blonde said as she went upstairs in her room.

“Why is she laughing like that? Is there something wrong with her?” Julia has had it and ran outside.

“Sit down, sweetie” Tony said tiredly.

“Did I do something wrong?”

“No. Come take a rest in your room until lunch is ready” Jessica said drily.

“Excuse me” Tiffany bowed and left with the blonde.

“Fire. Sunny in this house is like a fire” Tony noted.

“The disaster is that the oil is back” Yuri said.

Jessica helped Tiffany up her room. The redhead looked around the moment she came in. She felt like a stranger.

“You missed it?” Jessica asked.

“It feels too big”

“Of course, after months in the hospital room that is” Jessica said as she walked to the sofa. She then got rid of her blazer and loosened her tie.

“Take a rest, rearrange your stuff and come down for lunch” she once more spoke trying to make her way out of the room.

“…Where is Juhyun?”

“Where would she be? In her room of course”

“Why do you like to keep her in her room?”

“Me? She wanted that; you heard her” the blonde asked sceptical.

“I heard what you said to her before she asked to be brought to her room”

“Look Tiffany, let me tell you something important. No one in the family is believing that scenario and character you’re trying to pull off.”

“What did I even have the time to do for you to tell me that?”

“…the sweetness and love to Juhyun. The hug you gave Sunny. The cute act with Taeyeon. Should I continue?”

“And you?”

“And me what?”

“Do you believe me? Or are you just having fun with ‘the character I’m trying to pull’?” Jessica chuckled before she spoke.

“I’m the very first in the family that doesn’t believe you. I already told you in the hospital” she tried to get up.

“I only care about you. What you think. When you’d be believing me, nothing or nobody else would matter to me. Even if they were laughing at me. I changed Jessica. You have to believe me”

“Rearrange your stuff. When you’re rested, I have an important question for you” the blonde said before she closed the door behind her.

“God, help me finish my mission. Help me protect her and her daughter. Help me find out who’s trying to kill her. Please” Tiffany mumbled sitting on the bed alone before she opened her suitcase and got her stuff out. She then heard a knock on the door.

“Come in”

“Would you like me to help you with anything Ms. Tiffany?” Hana asked.

“With a lot of things Hana-ssi.”

“If you want, you can rest and I’ll take care of these clothes for you”

“That’ll be great. Thank you” Tiffany sat on the bed next to her suitcase.

“Where’s Juhyun?”

“She’s sleeping in her room”

“Did she…ever ask for me?”

“…”

“Why are you looking at me like that?”

“…Sorry. You just came back changed all over. Even when I saw you, I thought I was seeing Ms. Tiffany for the first time. I can assure you that the operation was a success. Your face is cuter, your voice is softer and your actions are kinder. And what you did to Juhyun today, believe me she’ll be asking for you always from now on. But unfortunately, when you were in the hospital, she didn’t ask about you a lot.”

“Was I that harsh on her?”

“Did you forget Ms. Tiffany? Sorry, maybe it’s not really my place-”

“No, it’s fine. You’re right. Juhyun has been ignored long enough”

“And I’m happy to see that you noticed it finally Ms. Tiffany. I saw how you talked to her this morning. Miss, please stay with her that way. You were so sweet and gentle. The child only deserves such treatments. The girl loves you. Let her just show it to you”

“That’s what’s going to happen” satisfied with the answer, Hana went back to her work. A few seconds later, she came back with a key in her hand.

“The key for your safety box. Of course, nobody touched it, as you always wished.”

“Thank you.” She said taking the little object.

“Miss, I thought you already had a key though. Usually you’d keep this one with me, so nobody plays with it.”

“Oh, right. I kind of lost it in the accident” Tiffany said trying to open the box. They found that it wasn’t locked.

“Is it possible I forgot to lock it?” Tiffany asked.

“No way. It’s impossible. You never did”

Meanwhile:

“Jessica, where is your wife?” Tony asked over the dining table.

“As much as she’s important, as much as she likes to keep you waiting” Sunny said.

“Calm down. The woman just came back from the hospital” YoonA said.

“Now you’re defending her?” Sunny asked.

“It doesn’t look like it though” Jessica said back.

“Please, let us have lunch in peace” Julia tried.

“True, we have a lot of work to do from now on. We have to work really hard for the upcoming three months” Yuri announced.

“We’ll win for sure” Taeyeon said.

“I’m sorry I made you wait. I was feeding Juhyun” Tiffany said as everyone looked at her weirdly.

“You?” Jessica asked.

“Yup. And she was very happy. She ate all of her meal. Wow, nice food”

“I prepared the food you like” Julia said.

“Chicken?”

“We like it. Mom prepared all the salads you like” Jessica said while scooping some food. Tiffany frowned at what she heard.

                After eating, Jessica went to discuss the elections and the project with Yuri, Taeyeon and Tony. Tiffany decided to go take a nap, since she felt exhausted. A while later, Jessica came back in and got rid of her tie. She noticed Tiffany sleeping on the bed as she then slumped on the sofa and closed her eyes. Tiffany felt a presence and opened her eyes. She frowned.

“Jessica?....Is something wrong?”

“Sigh….Why?”

“What are you doing?”

“Lying down after a meeting. What would I be doing?”

“And why there?”

“It’s better. In half an hour, I’m going to the office. Let me sleep if you’re done with your questions”

“What was the important question you wanted to ask me?”

“When I get his name, I’ll ask you”

“Who?” Tiffany got ignored. She stood up and walked over Jessica slowly. She sat down on the sofa next to her legs.

“What now? Even sleeping is prohibited?” Jessica asked with her eyes closed. Tiffany reached for her hand, but the blonde opened her eyes and slipped it away.

“What’s wrong again?”

“I just want to thank you for the time in the hospital. If it wasn’t for you, I would’ve died”

“It’s my job. I never stop midway”

“But it was more than a job. It was love.”

“No… Don’t get confused between sympathy and love. I only did what I did because one, you saved my daughter, and two, you’re still known as my wife, under my name.”

“But…I did feel love”

“Feel whatever you want, just let me rest. Or you know what? I’ll just leave” Jessica ran away getting her blazer.

“My box was opened, although the key was always with me”

“Your box of secrecy, I was the one who opened it. I already apologized in the hospital that I found the letter from your lover. I had to open it for the pictures of your operation. I apologize once again and if you want, buy another one. And lock it well” the blonde admitted getting her tie.

“From today onwards, I don’t have secrets”

“It’s still early for today. I’m still in yesterday and the day before that” the blonde then ran out. Tiffany sighed tiredly, before going downstairs.

“Ms. Tiffany! Is there something wrong?” Hana asked as she saw the young mistress in the kitchen.

“No, but it’s just the house feels empty. No one’s here?”

“It’s always like that in the afternoon. Did you forget? It must be the long stay in the hospital”

“Yes, it must be”

“Did the accident bother your memory?”

“Maybe a little”

“Ms. Tiffany, what’s wrong? What are you searching for?”

“I…I’m hungry” Tiffany said embarrassed.

“I know. I noticed you didn’t eat well at lunch”

“Can I have some chicken?”

“Chicken? You?”

“Yes…I feel new all over. And I feel the need to eat something other than lettuce, cucumber and tomatoes”

“As you wish” Hana said with a chuckle, getting her some food.

“Eat well” she continued as she put the food in front of her.

“Thank you. Where did you say everyone was?”

“Well, Tony-ssi and Julia-ssi are visiting friends. Ms. Jessica is in the office. Ms. Sunny, you already know; the drink will keep her asleep until night. And YoonA is in the office with Yuri. This is new for you”

“Hm…the election office?”

“Yes, she started going there when you were in the hospital. Anyways, let’s hope everything ends up well. It doesn’t matter if she didn’t make it to the presidency. The important thing is for her to take care of you and little Seohyun. Bar presidency is not easy, nor safe”

“She will be elected. Don’t worry too much. She has ideas and projects that are worth the attention. She’ll succeed.”

“…”

“W.what?”

“It’s weird. This is the first time I hear you talking this way about Ms. Jessica’s work”

“Ah…I’ve thought about it a lot when I was in the hospital. Anyways, danger is everywhere, and it shouldn’t stand in her way”

“Let’s hope so. Let’s hope the blackmailers get caught”

“They know who it was?”

“Ms. Tiffany, my information stops here. I really don’t know anything more”

“So they don’t”

“There’s steak. Would you like some?”

“No thanks. I’m full…Taeyeon?”

“What’s wrong with him?”

“Where exactly is he? With Yuri or with Jessica?”

“I’m right here” the man answered.