Her wife? That's odd

Stranger

Siwon made his way in his office. He wore a black suit and just came from the funeral. He slumped on his seat and sighed. Donghae came in.

“The funeral was ... I’ve never expected this much people to attend, since she already lost all her family”

“Sigh…I want a tribute for her this evening on TV. She has to stay in the heart of the people who once loved her and appreciated her”

----

Jessica was in her room listening to the TV. Taeyeon made his way in as he noticed his little sister’s face.

“What’s wrong?”

“A victim from the plane crash. Stephanie Hwang. Twenty seven years old.” Taeyeon sat down next to her on the sofa.

“She kind of resembles Tiffany”

“Hm…” Jessica shut the TV off.

“Why did you lie to me Taeyeon?”

“About what?”

“Why did you tell me that Tiffany is pregnant when she wasn’t? The doctor told me today”

“Maybe she had a miscarriage during the accident”

“She wasn’t pregnant and she didn’t have a miscarriage.”

“Then she wasn’t pregnant at all. She must’ve lied to me, sis”

“Or maybe, there wasn’t even a lie.”

“What do you mean?”

“Maybe she was pregnant before the accident. But she probably got rid of it before the trip”

“Why would she do that?”

“Because she hates kids, Taeyeon. Tiffany loves herself only. She probably considers Seohyun a mistake as well”

“You know best, sis”

“NO! EVERYONE KNOWS ABOUT MY MARRIAGE LIFE MORE THAN WHAT I KNOW MYSELF!”

“Don’t yell in my face! I’m your older brother and if you think you have problems with your wife, than think again! Besides, it’s not like it’s my fault you fell for her! There were hundreds of other woman out there!”

“Oh, so now it’s my fault! I wonder who brought her to our office in the first place!”

“I brought her to your office to help. She is a prosecutor, but you had to fall in love with her. Tell me; is it my fault your heart started beating for her?”

“What’s going on here?” Tony asked making his way into the room.

“Your little girl Dad, is putting the blame of her failed marriage on me!” Taeyeon said annoyed.

“Why you-!”

“Enough! I don’t want to hear anything of the sort again coming from you two! Understood?”

“Oh, I know what this is all about. It’s cause you think you should go for the Bar’s Association presidency. Because you’re the so called fist born. Right?” Jessica asked opening up the old topic.

“No, it’s nothing like this” Tony tried.

“What do you want exactly?” Jessica asked.

“I’ll tell you what he wants. His right” Sunny butted in with a drink in her hand.

“Sun, go back to your room please.” Taeyeon pleaded.

“No, let her ask. Let her express her opinion. You want me to explain? Fine I will. I’m not the only one who wants the youngest to go for presidency. The whole association wants it. That’s why I decided to make Jessica president. Not only is she extremely successful in her work, but the people love her” Tony explained.

“You’ve always loved Jessica more. Since we were kids-”

“Get out! Everybody get out! My wife is in the hospital between life and death! It’s not the time to bicker like kids!”

----

As Stephanie lied helplessly in her hospital bed, she couldn’t help but see a few scenes from her life play in her head. She saw herself first as a kid as she ran to grandpa. He was consoling her after her parent’s death. He promised to take care of her, no matter what happened. She then saw herself with her first love. It was the same boy that later became her fiancé. They were laughing and hugging and running. They were teasing, kissing and fighting.

Finally, she saw herself in the same garden as she clung to her necklace and engagement ring. Tears were staining her face as she wore black, sad over her losses. Then Siwon came out of nowhere, hugging her as she let her tears free themselves on his shoulder. He kept consoling her and she kept crying as she helplessly tried to find answers and reasons for those losses.

She finally came back to reality as she noticed the doctor and the nurse that always visited her. They were checking the devices next to her and taking notes.

“Ms. Jung, can you hear me?” the doctor asked as she blinked twice.

“Excellent. You’ve been doing very nice progress. If you continued this way, we’ll be able to fix your beautiful face very soon. Keep it up Ms. Jung.”

----

Taeyeon came into his room only to find his wife once again drinking. He went to the walk in closet and changed his clothes. He then went back out and slumped on the bed.

“Good night”

“What now? You sulking?”

“Just go to sleep Sunny”

“You’re all so pathetic. I just don’t understand why you all love her, when she loves no one. She only loves herself.”

“Shut up and leave me alone already”

“Or else? You’d give me the cold treatment? You’d stop taking care of me? ‘Chuckle’…you’re already doing them, if I talk or I don’t”

“Sunny sleep already.”

“No, you, wake up. Because running after your sister in law will only ruin your family further” she said as she took another sip of her drink.

----

Jessica made her way into the ICU for the nth time already. She looked at Tiffany’s body and noticed she was awake.

“How are you Tiffany? The doctor told me that everything is going well. Juhyun will be discharged today. She doesn’t want to stay in the hospital any longer. Soon, she’ll get rid of the cast. When you undergo face surgery, I’ll get her to come visit you. I won’t let her see you this way yet. If I was at your place, you would’ve done the same. Everyone in the house says hello.”

“Ms. Jung. The director says that whenever you’re ready, you can come claim Ms. Tiffany’s stuff” the nurse said.

“What stuff?”

“The stuff she had on during the flight. Earrings, necklace…stuff like that”

“Oh, no problem.  When Tiffany’s doing better, she’ll get them herself. I won’t use them anyways. Thanks” the nurse nodded her head and made her way out.

“The doctors asked for your pictures. They’ll be discussing the state of your face soon. Tiffany…there’s something you should know. Or should I say accept? Your face is in a very bad shape. What I mean is…it’s broken. Where did you put your last taken picture? How stupid of me. I’m asking you. It should be in your closet. No problem, I’ll just search. By the way, Yuri says she’ll pass by sometimes to check up on you. Do you need anything?.....I know, you want to go back to your life. And you will. But if I was at your place, I’d wish to stay longer in this hospital. You couldn’t have forgotten what we talked about in the airport right before the accident, right?”

                On the other side of the city, Siwon and Donghae were in a meeting. Apparently the younger found out that Jessica Jung’s wife might be in the hospital.

“Are you sure?” Siwon asked interested.

“Yes, I asked the director himself. He said that he’d seen her going out and in the ICU thousands of times.” Donghae said.

“I see. Well, too bad we can’t do anything about it”

“Why not Siwon?”

“We’re talking about Chaebol families here. They’ll ruin us. And the fact that she’s a lawyer, makes it even worse”

“But we can let the news out anonymously”

“Do whatever you want”

Meanwhile, little Seohyun just got discharged and Jessica picked her and Julia up from the hospital. They made their way back to the villa.

“Randpa!!” the little girl called running, seeing the old man.

“Aigoo, my little princess is back!” Tony held Seohyun up into his arms.

“My arm is hurting.”

“Aigoo! I know! Here let me kiss it better”

“Juhyun-ah! You’re back baby!” Hana said running to her.

“Careful with her hand, Hana-ssi” Jessica pointed.

“Of course Ms. Jessica” she kissed the little girl on her cheek.

“Hey sweetie. How are you?” Sunny asked with a drink.

“Mom is in the hospital”

“No worries, she’ll be back soon” the woman said spitefully.

“Em, Hana-ssi, could you get Juhyun to her room?” Julia asked.

“Of course. Come on, baby” as she led the little girl to her room, they met her cousin on the way.

“Juhyun-ah!!”

“Yoong-unnie!” YoonA slouched and picked her up going upstairs with Hana.

“How is Tiffany?” Taeyeon asked.

“We’ll start preparing for the face operations tomorrow” Jessica answered.

“Hm, so it means that Tiffany’s beauty is gone temporarily” Sunny pointed.

“But not her life” Jessica said back.

“I don’t want any fights today. If you can’t talk decently with each other, just separate” Tony said.

“Anyways, can we please get this meeting rolling?” Taeyeon asked. They sat down.

“I know that whatever happened in the meeting with Yuri this morning, dad, has already been brought to you. I also know that you are behind the proposal she talked to me about”

“All I care about is for you to get there. I want to see you succeed.”

“Alright, but not this way. This idea is against my beliefs”

Back in the kitchen, Hana told Julia what happened last night when she was at the hospital with Seohyun.

“What do you mean they fought?” Julia asked.

“It means that Jessica yelled. Taeyeon lost his cool and Tony got in between only to make things worse.” Hana said as she gave a coffee mug to the other woman.

“Jessica yelled? It must’ve been bad.”

“Your daughters in law. They’re the reason. I understand that one of them is on the line between life and death-”

“She was. Not anymore”

“And the other one is a drunkard. The drink doesn’t leave her hands”

“Sigh…alright, please stop.”

“I’m just talking for your sake Mrs. Julia. The fight seemed pretty bad.”

“Oh, it seems that you didn’t get the chance to talk it out earlier. Am I right ladies?” Sunny asked as she stepped in the kitchen.

“How cuter, gentler and sweeter would you be without this glass” Julia remarked.

“You love Jessica more than Taeyeon! And you love Tiffany way more than me!” Sunny thrashed as she slumped on a seat as Julia went to her room.

                A few hours later, Donghae was able to get someone to help him sneak into the ICU. The hospital worker asked him to wait into his office until he calls him.

 “What? Seems like you dozed off” the worker noticed as he saw Donghae with his eyes closed.

“Is it finally time?”

“Yes, come on” the man let Donghae into the ICU, to try and get something out of Tiffany. The hospital staff ran back to his office, letting the journalist do his work. As soon as Donghae stepped into the room, Stephanie started once again. Since she was wrapped all around, the boy wasn’t able to recognise her of course.

“Please Miss. Don’t be afraid. I’m just a journalist. A-and-!” he wasn’t able to finish his phrase as a nurse came from nowhere and frightened him.

“Sir, who are you? How did you get in here?!”

“M.Me? I.I’m no one!”

“Why do you have a camera? How did you get here?! Who let you in!?”

“N.Nobody. I just thought-”

“Please get out right now. I’m calling security! She didn’t have the time to get to the phone when she heard another voice”

“Who’s that?! Who the are you? What the hell are you doing here?!”

“M.Ms. Jung I.I-”

“What’s this camera?! Get out! Don’t let me see your face again!” they finally noticed the tears that were falling from Tiffany’s eye. The nurse went out quickly to tell security about the incident, as Jessica ran to Tiffany’s side and held her hand.

“I’m sorry Tiffany. I never meant to leave you. I don’t know what I came for at this time. It’s as if I felt that something might happen. I’m sorry. I don’t want anything happening to you when you’re like this. Juhyun is doing very well. She’s been playing with YoonA and Hana-ssi for hours now. I bickered with Dad, Yul and Taengoo today because of the presidency. And-”

“Ms. Jung” Jessica looked back and found the head doctor.

“I thought I made myself clear Doctor Kwon. What was this?” Jessica asked as she pointed to the camera she’s been holding.

“I’m terribly sorry Ms. Jung. This will never happen again. The nurse just had to go to the bathroom. Again, all guards know of what happened. If they see him, they’ll make sure to report it. I’ll keep you posted Ma’am.”

“Alright”

“What made you come at a time like this?” the doctor tried to ease the tension.

“I don’t know. Maybe I felt something was going to happen. I was also preoccupied with the whole face thing”

“You can’t wait until her beauty comes back, eh?”

“…I guess.”

“Go back home and rest.”

“No, it’s fine doctor. The sun will come out in two hours.”

“As you wish” the doctor then left to his office again.

“You’ve been doing good progress” Jessica noticed Tiffany moving her hand, signaling her to hold it. Jessica looked at it and tensed her jaw.

“Don’t misunderstand my actions. I already told you why I’m treating you this way. I’ll never forget what you did to Juhyun. If you just found out you were her mother, then good for you. But you never showed her or showed me how much of a mother you were to her. You think death teaches you a proper lesson, Tiffany? You want my hand? Here! (Jessica holds the bandaged hand) But nothing will change. Believe me, nothing will! Don’t try to get on my good side after all this time. I’ve known you enough to believe that nothing will make you remain this person I’m seeing. It’s too late now. I’m only fulfilling my duty as a wife.”

“I got two photos from your closet. And also this” Jessica said as she took out an envelope from her suit.

“I don’t know if you’d be able to read it with one eye.” She finished as she held it in front of her face. Tiffany took a look and immediately looked away pushing the paper with her hand.

“Hm…of course, I never meant to look into your things. Because, as we know, the room is yours. As for me, I got the sofa that I’ve slept on for over three years now. Unfortunately, I had to look into your things. I found what the doctor told me to look for. But I also found, what you didn’t want me to find. A letter from a lover. How cute. ‘I don’t know if I’ll be able to take your absence for three days.’ Hm… he loves you this much, eh? ‘But you’re in my heart, until you come back into my arms.’ How sweet. He has a nice handwriting. And he loves beauty. Tell me, if he comes at this moment to see you in this situation, would he be still willing to wait for you until you get back into his arms?” Tiffany held her hand up.

“I told you holding my hand will not change anything. Adultery and betrayal are things I can never forgive. And you know that better than anyone. I’ll put it back into the drawer, and I sincerely apologise for going through your stuff.”

When the sun came out, a new doctor asked to meet with Jessica; the face surgeon. When she heard doctor Kwon calling her and telling her that she’ll be meeting with him, she came out of the room almost immediately.

“What do you think doctor?” Jessica asked a little anxious.

“When it comes to me, I care about the face. So no need for this picture.”

“So the operation is possible?”

“It’s possible. How do you want her to be?”

“What do you mean?”

“Do you want her this pretty? Or prettier?” Doctor Lang asked with a smile.

“I want her to be a normal woman. We’re not in a beauty contest”

“Alright, let’s talk seriously. I studied the x-rays. The brakes are numerous and at very specific places. She even needs teeth transplant. The operation is possible, but is going to be very long. She might come back prettier or a little less than before. I can’t guarantee anything. But for sure, she’s going to be different.”

“Wow, a new woman, in the same body. A wish come true” Doctor Kwon said with a smile trying to cheer the blonde.

“…”

“I need to see Tiffany though” Lang finished.

----

“Hello Ms. Tiffany”

“Doctor Lang. He’ll be responsible for you face, Tiffany” Jessica said.

“What are we going to do with this eye, Doctor Kwon?” Lang asked.

“It’s recovering well.”

“Awesome. You’ve got beautiful eyes. Tiffany? Are you ready to have some fun with your face for a few hours with me?”

“Fun doctor? What are you saying?” Jessica asked dumbfounded.

“Of course. The face is art, Ms. Jung. Anyways, when can we get the operation done doctor Kwon?”

“The burns are healing smoothly. Other than that, I’d say it’s up to you to schedule it”

“Great. I just need to fix some stuff on the computer before”

----

“I told you they wouldn’t let you” Siwon said.

“God! She almost hit me!” Donghae freaked.

“Well, I expect no less of her”

“But Tiffany was excited when she saw me!”

“How did you get excitement with moans, grunts and whines? She was probably just trying to get rid of you”

“Maybe…”

----

Jessica watched once again the tape that the journalist was able to get. She replayed it for the thousandth time until she noticed a knock on her door.

“What are you looking at? Tiffany?” Taeyeon asked as he came in.

“…yes”

“You filmed her?”

“No, I caught an annoying journalist sneaking”

“I see.”

“I want to sleep”

“Me too”

“Then what are you waiting for?”

“I came to apologise” the small man said.

“You’re taking the role of the little brother afraid of their older sibling?”

“No, I’m taking the role of the mature older brother”

“Yah, what are you implying?”

“I’m kidding. Come here” Taeyeon then hugged her little sister.

“It’s such a shame.”

“What is?”

“You and I…our marriage life is pretty pathetic. I’ve always wished to be like mom and dad with my wife…”

“I’m sorry about Sunny and what she said”

“It’s fine. I just wish she’d have a new beginning…I mean, her life turned upside down because of this. She’ll come back changed, literally” Jessica explained.

“Right, Mom told me about Doctor Lang. Is he any good?”

“That’s what they say. We can only wait”

“…I see”

“By the way, please let Yuri manage everything except my ideas and projects; you know how important my opinion is to me” Jessica reminded.

“Sigh…alright. Good night”

“Night”

Flashback (four years ago)

“It’s fine…..I wasn’t very into it this time…..I understand how everybody would like me to become the president….I’ll have to think it through….I didn’t give much thought about it this time around….I didn’t even know I was on the list of candidates….I’ll think about it for the next elections…Alright, thanks” Jessica shut the phone after talking to one of the judges. She had just been updated that she was one of the main candidates for the next presidency election. She sighed as she went back to work. As she signed a few papers, she heard a knock.

“Come in”

“Hey…you busy?”

“What kind of lawyer would I be if I wasn’t?”

“I just need four minutes”

“Sure, sit down”

“I don’t need to” Taeyeon got the bureau’s phone.

“Ms. Song, let her in”

“Who? What are you talking about?” Jessica asked. At that moment, a woman came in and smiled at Jessica. It was the very first time the blonde felt something weird in her chest.

“Tiffany Jang. The prosecutor that’ll be working along your side”

“I.I see. Nice to meet you Ms. Jang” Jessica stood up and shook the lady’s hand.

“Likewise Maître”

“You talk French?”

“She graduated there” Taeyeon said.

“I see…please, take a seat”

“I’ll leave you both to talk about work” Taeyeon said as Jessica kept looking at Tiffany. The latter crossed her legs, knowing very well that the lawyer already fell.

End of Flashback

                Jessica then slumped back on the sofa, the camera of the journalist in hand. She replayed the video once more. When she finally was able to dose off, Julia came in the room. She looked at her daughter asleep on the couch and frowned.

“Sooyeon-ah, Sooyeon, wake up” the blond ed and opened her eyes slowly.

“Something wrong Mom?” she asked hoarsely.

“Honey, why are you asleep here? Your neck and back will hurt in the morning”

“…No, I’ll just sleep here”

“Good night then”

Two days later:

                Jessica and her parents rushed to the hospital. They made their way to the ICU, where they found a couple of nurses already rolling Tiffany’s bed away.

“Juhyun kisses you, Tiffany” Julia implied.

“Come back to us fast” Tony said.

“…good luck” Jessica said in a little voice before her wife was brought to the OR.

“How many hours will it take doctor?” Jessica asked as she saw the doctor getting ready.

“Until I get bored. But considering the pictures, it’ll be hard to get bored of her face. I’ll see you soon” Lang said as he came in, leaving the parents with a slight smile on their faces.

“He’s confident. That’s good. We have about four to five hours. Let’s go get something to eat at the cafeteria” Tony tried.

“You guys go. I’ll follow you” Jessica said. As her parents went down the elevator, Jessica walked back and forth in front of the OR.

“Ms. Jung?” she heard her name being called. She looked to her right and found an injured lady that couldn’t be a lot older. The woman was walking with the help of crutches and she was bandaged at several places.

“You know me?” Jessica asked with a frown.

“Who doesn’t ma’am?”

“I see…if I may ask, who are you?”

“Park Bom, flight attendant”

“Ah, that explains the cast…I’m sorry”

“No worries. I heard about your wife”

“Yes, she wasn’t as fortunate as you. She’s in the OR right now”

“I hope she’ll be ok. I remember her being a little annoyed she didn’t find place in the first class.”

“Chuckle…it doesn’t matter which class it was in this kind of situation”

“You’re right. How’s the baby girl?”

“She’s good, thank god. She only broke her hand thanks to her mother. If Tiffany was next to the window, they would’ve both died. She was thankfully able to hug Juhyun and protect her.”

“Where was she sitting?” the flight attendant asked confused.

“She was right on the other side. In the center row but still next to Seohyun”

“Your wife was sitting in the center row?” she asked once more.

“Yes…”

“Ms. Jung, Doctor Kwon wants to see you” a nurse interrupted.

“I’ll be there in a moment. Please excuse me” Jessica then followed the nurse.

“Something is wrong…her wife was right next to the window though…”

----

“Yes mom…no not yet….alright give her to me….Yes, honey….how are you? Does your arm hurt?.....No, no, Mom is doing very well right now…She’s just resting…Alright, listen to grandma, alright? Ok, I’ll see you tomorrow honey” Jessica ended the call with her daughter as she saw Doctor Lang coming out of the OR.

“I made you wait?”

“A little…so?”

“We had fun for hours.”

“And?”

“We’ll have to wait and see the results. I did the best I can.”

“…”

“There’s something important though”

“What is it?”

“Her vocal chords are still very bad. I don’t know how her voice will come out.”

“The important is she’ll come out! Why is she still inside?”

“She’ll be out in a few. Come with me to talk some more”

                As the nurses once more rolled Tiffany outside, Bom was walking in the hospital corridors. She was able to get a glimpse of the bandaged face.

“Ms. Park, why are you here? Go back to your room please”

“I’m a flight attendant. It’s a habit for me to walk around.”

“Alright, but please go and rest. We don’t want anything happening to you”

“Miss, Jessica Jung’s wife…are you guys sure it’s her wife?”

“Well, she can’t be her girlfriend” the nurse said before going back to work.

“Weird…” Bom said as she clutched her way back to her room.

Meanwhile:

                As YoonA was having fun in one of the nightclubs with her friends, she felt the need to go to the bathroom. When she made her way outside, something got a hold of her wrist. She turned around and found a man she didn’t recognize.

“Are you Jung YoonA?” he asked.

“W.Who are you?”

“Listen to me well. Tell your beloved auntie that nobody stands in our way. She better be ready for this upcoming fight, because we won’t hand her the presidency post this easily”

“W.What?”

“Just get her this message. She got herself into this mess. And if she insists on continuing, then she better get prepared” then the man disappeared as YoonA tried to understand what was going on, her heart still hammering against her chest.