She must be planning something

Stranger

“It’s nice that we’re having lunch together for once” Tony said.

“What’s weird is that Jessica is with us. Since the day of the accident, she’s been at the hospital” Sunny stated.

“It’s her wife, she won’t leave her alone. Right dad?” YoonA asked.

“Tiffany is getting better. So I have time to get back home sometimes” the blonde explained.

“Thank you Tiffany! Jessica, we’re losing time. You have to work with me” Yuri said.

“I’m helping though! All computer work is my responsibility.” YoonA said.

“Nice work, YoonA” Jessica ruffled the young ones hair.

“YoonA adores her aunt”

“Mom, you’re making me feel old” Jessica said.

“Not my fault you were a mistake”

“Mom! Seriously!”

“Anyways, Yuri’s right though. You need to focus on your work Sooyeon. We want to see you president soon” Tony intervened.

“I’ll try…”

“To Sooyeon” Tony lifted his wine glass.

“Haha, Grandpa, what’s wrong with you? You’re taking this too seriously” YoonA said.

“And all those things you’re dreaming about, Dad… Sooyeon will be able to get them for you with presidency?” Sunny asked.

“Of course”

“You mean Taeyeon wouldn’t have been able?”

“I don’t want to open that topic again”

“Stop it Sunny” Taeyeon said.

“Cheers to the president. And the president’s father. And the president’s brother, the weak one…I’m going to sleep.” Sunny finished.

“Sunny…Dad is thinking about his own ideas. Don’t think they are mine. I love everyone in this family. And the only reason I’m going for presidency is to get the association somewhere. To make our Judicial System better.” The blonde tried to explain.

“Pff…hahaha. Right” she then went upstairs.

“I’m sorry” Taeyeon was about to get up.

“Sit down, Taeyeon. You’ll talk to her later. We can talk about our next step for now.” Tony ordered.

“Eum…YoonA-yah, come with me” Julia said.

“But I want to listen”

“YoonA, we need to help Hana in the kitchen. Come on” Jessica sent YoonA a knowing smile.

“Yesterday, Mr. Horvejkul visited me” Tony started.

“And?” Jessica asked.

“He’s an important factor when it comes to your election”

“How? You know I’m against working with him”

“Why not?” Yuri asked.

“He’s suspected of money laundering”

“So what?” Tony asked.

“So, it means that he’s going to be in deep , very soon”

“Language. Who cares about his work? We only need him for the people he knows”

“I do! Before anything, I’m a lawyer. You can’t expect me to work with the likes of him” Jessica got off the table.

“My daughter is living on Neptune”

“I guess I am” Jessica said as she heard the man before running upstairs.

----

“Would she need anything else?” Jessica asked as she removed her blazer. Her mom was putting a few clothes for Tiffany in a suitcase.

“What would she need when she’s bandaged all over?” Julia asked.

“In the hospital, they said I can bring her pajamas, night gowns…Stuff like that. You think it’s enough?”

“Enough with your care. Enough with the time you’ve given her”

“She’s still my wife. As long as she’s under my name, I’ll make sure she’s doing well”

“I just wanted to see you happy. But all I have been seeing is your tired, cranky face for years”

“Mom, just please finish this suitcase so I can get it to her tomorrow” Jessica ran away to the bathroom.

----

“I brought you clothes.” Jessica said as soon as she came in. She put the suitcase next to the bed and looked at Tiffany. The injured pointed the spot next to her on the bed.

“No, it’s fine. I’ll stay up.”

“H.how ar yu..” Stephanie pronounced hardly.

“I’m fine. Thanks for asking” Jessica said stoically when they heard a knock on the door. She went to open it.

“Ms. Jung, good morning.” The nurse said.

“Good morning. I brought some of her stuff. It’s in the suitcase”

“I’ll help her into them then” the nurse said.

“You need anything Tiffany?” the patient shook her head.

“Alright then, bye” Jessica then made her way out.

“You upset her?” The nurse asked the redhead. Tiffany shook her head.

“Ah, it must be her work then. And the presidency is taking all of her time.”

Two weeks later:

“Can I understand why you’re so angry Jessica?” Yuri asked.

“…”

“It’s pretty clear. Don’t try to hide it”

“Tiffany”

“Something wrong with her? I thought she was getting better”

“She is. To the point where I don’t even recognise her anymore”

“What do you mean?”

“Imagine. It’s been two weeks and whenever I visit, her first question is about Juhyun and the second is about me”

“And the third?”

“I’m asking the third question. Why? How come? What changed her?”

“The fact that she almost died. It must be the reason”

“She wants me to sit next to her. She always wants to hold my hand.”

“And you…are you giving her your hand?” Yuri asked with a smile.

“…” Jessica nodded her head hesitantly.

“Great. Why are you annoyed then?”

“You know better than anyone else that this is not her. She must be thinking of something. She must be planning something. The tears, the eyes. Even her voice is sweeter.”

“Maybe it’s because of the vocal chords”

“I’m pretty sure it this. But she’s like… showing me that she’s changed”

----

“Can you talk now?” Bom asked as she sat down on the chair next to the bed.

“W.who am I?” Stephanie asked.

“You’re the one who’s been sitting in the center row. You saved the kid. Nobody of the people who were sitting next to the windows survived.”

“Which means?”

“You know better than anybody what it means. Now it’s your turn to say who you are. I’m the only one who knows that you changed seats. The minute I heard of your wife about the center row, I thought it was weird”

“…”

“Do you want me to talk?”

“No. Since you’re the only one who knows of this. Don’t say anything”

“And you trust me?”

“Yes”

“Why?”

“Because if you wanted to say anything, you would’ve done it long ago”

“…”

“I’m Stephanie Hwang. How did they even mistook us?”

“I asked the hospital. They said that a certain Siwon and another Donghae came here to claim your body. They found out it was you because you were holding the necklace in your hand”

“She was about to give me back my necklace when the accident happened. The only thing I remember is feeling the plane shaking uncontrollably before I hugged the girl and pushed her under me. And then, something heavy fell on my face. I was in extreme pain. After that, it was black. I woke up and found myself here. They were calling me Ms. Tiffany, Ms. Jung. I was lost. I wanted to tell them I’m Stephanie Hwang. But my voice wouldn’t come out”

“Now it’s coming out. Why didn’t you say anything?”

“I couldn’t anymore.”

“Why not?”

“You have to promise me, Bom. What I’m about to tell you have to stay between us. Promise me”

“I promise, of course” Stephanie then told her about the threatening voice she heard when she first arrived to the hospital.

“Are you sure?!” Bom freaked.

“That’s what I heard. I wasn’t able to move, nor talk, nor see”

“A woman or a man’s voice?”

“I don’t know. I was between life and death. The voice was husky, as if someone was doing it on purpose. I thought I was dreaming. But no, I wasn’t”

“Why don’t you tell Jessica!?”

“I’m afraid. Because if she needs to know anything, it would be that I’m not her wife. She would never believe me if I told her now”

“But it could’ve been anybody who came in and-”

“No way. Jessica made sure that nobody came in my room unless they were hospital staff or family. So it’s someone very close to her”

“So you’re saying that someone from her family wants to kill her?”

“Yes and break her parent’s heart”

“So who’s the family if we forget the parents?”

“There’s her brother, his wife and their daughter. There’s Yuri as well”

“So if it’s not his parents, there’s only her brother’s family left”

“I don’t know. Believe me, I don’t know”

“And the real Tiffany, was planning with that person so that Jessica doesn’t get to presidency.”

“I think so. I got scared. For her and her daughter. She loves her wife. But the latter didn’t love her” Stephanie said, her voice turning low, almost sad.

“How do you want her to love her when she’s after her life?”

“That’s why I decided to not tell her. I feel like I need to protect her”

“Why? She’s just a stranger to you”

“I don’t know”

“All of this is not as important as the fact that Tiffany Jang died and Stephanie Hwang is the one alive”

“…”

“I think you’re starting to fall in love with her” Bom said with a smile.

“…”

“What now?”

“I’ll stay as Tiffany”

“What if she found out?”

“Then she’ll know. But I understood that she was expecting this change after the operation”

“You’re telling me that the woman knows her wife only by her voice and face?”

“They were pretty far.”

“You’re playing with fire”

“I don’t have any other choice to protect her, since Stephanie Hwang is dead”

“I’m pretty sure you’re a journalist now”

“…”

“You talk so well and your eye for detail is unbelievable”

“Can you help me? I’m afraid of saying something or doing something that Tiffany wouldn’t have done”

“In what exactly?”

“I’ll tell you later. But I consider this promise you made is eternal”

“Of course”

----

                A few more days passed and Jessica thought it was finally time, since Tiffany’s face was finally free. She brought Seohyun to the flower store and they bought a bouquet. They then made their way to the hospital. Julia was already in Tiffany’s room waiting as well. The door opened to reveal Jessica and Seohyun. As the parent put the child down, the four year old suddenly clung unto Jessica’s leg.

“I told you not to bring her yet” Julia said.

“She needed to see her”

“Come sweetie” Julia took Seohyun a little further away.

“You think she was afraid of your face, or because you’re her mother?” Jessica whispered in Stephanie’s ear.

“Don’t say that! Don’t let her feel that way!” the redhead whispered back.

“We’ll see about that”

“Honey, come! Say hi to mommy!” Stephanie tried as she held her hand out to Seohyun. Slowly, the little girl came.

“I broke my hand”

“Oh sweetie. Me two, look I broke my face. I still have some bruises too” Stephanie said as she caressed her daughter’s cheek.

“You want to go home?” the little girl asked.

“When I’m doing better, I will honey”

“I’m colouring a lot”

“How cool!”

“I want to go home” Seohyun then went back to her Grandma’s side.

“Mom, you can go to the car. I’ll be out in a minute” Jessica said.

“Honey, listen to your Granny well, ok?” Julia and Seohyun made their way out.

“Can I understand what exactly is going through your head?” the blonde asked annoyed.

“Is it that weird for me to care for my daughter after all those months?” the redhead asked back.

“You had years to prove your love to her. You want me to believe you just changed?”

“I came back from the dead. Deal with it”

“I understand that your voice might’ve changed. Your face, might’ve changed. But your brain? I highly doubt”

“Go honey. Your mom and your daughter are waiting for you in the car” Jessica was about to get out of the room.

“Jessica” the blonde turned around.

“Bye, be careful on the road”

When Jessica opened the door, she found a nurse in front of her.

“Ms. Jung, here you go”

“What’s that?”

“You’re wife’s things. From the accident”

“Thank you” Jessica came back in and played with the envelope in her hands.

“Would you like to have them? Of course you do. You’d like to see if the diamond necklace and bracelet are doing well. Right?”

“You think I’m this superficial?”

“I don’t think you are. I know you are”

“At least we’re both alive”

“…” Jessica was about to head out.

“Wait. Come here” she followed. Tiffany leant closer, before the blonde jerked backwards.

“Don’t kiss me” Jessica said in a little voice.

“I wasn’t going to kiss you. I just wanted to see your shirt’s collar. There’s a stain”

“There’s nothing on the collar” Jessica said embarrassed playing with the white dress shirt.

“I’m pretty sure I saw something red”

“It must be one of the candidates. I had a meeting earlier.”

“I didn’t know you hugged your rivals”

“I don’t” Jessica sent a smirk to Tiffany and headed out. Stephanie finally had the chance to open the envelope. She heard the door opening.

“What are you doing?” Bom asked.

“I’m thanking God that Jessica didn’t see these”

“What are those?”

“The things I had on when I was in the plane”

“Looks like you’re having fun with this game.”

“I saw Juhyun today. That poor kid; she’s terrified of her mother”

“It seems like you’ve grown attached to them” Bom smirked.

“Seohyun needs a mother and Jessi-”

“And Jessica needs her wife. You’re in love with her dude”

“I respect that she stayed beside me. She was the only one beside me all along. Although she hates me, she still respects me. After everything I’ve done…I mean Tiffany done, she stayed. By the way, how is your foot?”

“It’s perfect. I’m getting discharged tomorrow”

“Great, it’s time for that favor I asked of you a while ago”