The Measly Letter

Inexplicable Circumstances

 

Yunho walked briskly into the building and took the elevator up to Soyeon’s apartment. He was going to see if Soyeon was there as Teddy had told him to. When he got to the front door, he rang the door bell… no answer. He then knocked loudly on the door…. No answer. He then gave up and grabbed the spare key that Soyeon once gave him. He never uses the key unless it is an emergency. He respected Soyeon and gave her space. This moment obvious was an emergency for Yunho.

“Soyeon!!” He called out as he let the door slam shut.

“Baby, are you here?” He proceeded checking every room.

After checking her bedroom, bathroom, and then her closet, he came back out into the bedroom and saw the picture of them on her nightstand and an envelope underneath. He went to the picture, lifted it and read the envelope. It had his name on it.

Yunho sat on the bed and opened the envelope and there he found a note from Soyeon.

Dear Yunho,

 

                If you find this letter, it means you actually used that spare key and got into my apartment. It also means you rang the doorbell and I am not there to open the door for you. I most likely have left Seoul by now. I know I didn’t tell you I would leave, but this letter here is for me to tell you I’m sorry.

                I love you with all my heart Yunho, you know that right? We’ve gone through so much together, so much. I remember when we first met backstage at your sixth comeback. I remember when you asked me on our first date after a tiring day at the SM studio. I remember when we got stuck in the elevator going to the after party on the roof of the Ritz Carlton in Seoul. These and many more are the greatest memories that I have ever had in my life and I am glad they are with you.

                But I’m sorry that we can’t make any more memories together. We have been with each other for two years and we have tolerated each other’s lives for so long. We talk on the phone, text each other randomly during the day, and see each other at least once every week at the beginning of our relationship. Now it is once every two months. Let me ask you, can we really go on like this?

                When you talk about marriage and me in your life, how do you see it? The moment you mentioned it, the only thing I can think about is how ideal that picture would be. But it can never be real. You and I love our own lives too much to change. We love our own lives so much, and I can’t find myself in yours.

                Yunho, I hope you find all the happiness and I love I can’t give you. I hope you achieve everything you want in life. I hope your ideal picture comes true.

 

~Soyeon.

As Yunho finished reading the letter, he gripped the paper harder and harder. He slowly placed it down on the bed as he looked straight ahead, his eyebrows furrowed and his face in a large frown. He was angry. He then gave a small laugh and smirk.

“You wrote me all this and don't even tell me a reason for leaving. Thanks to you Soyeon, my ideal picture can never come true. I should have known. Who am I to think that someone would stay with me for all eternity?” Yunho said to himself.

He got up, took the letter, placed it back on the envelope and went into the restroom. He took a match by the candles in Soyeon’s bathroom and he lit the letter up. He held the letter over the toilet until it completely disappeared.

Yunho walked back into the living room and took the key to her apartment and placed it on the table. With that, he walked out of the apartment, not looking back once.