A Promise That Cannot Be Fulfilled

Inexplicable Circumstances

 

One week later…

 

Soyeon was reading her email when her phone rang. She picked up her phone and Yunho’s name flashed across it.

Soyeon hesitated a little before she chose to pick up.

“Yoboseyo?” she said quietly and tried to hide the fear and confusion in her voice. She did not want Yunho to sense that she was upset in anyway.

“Baby? Where are you? I just got back to Seoul,” Yunho said in the car that picked him and Changmin up from the airport.

“Ummm, home.”

“Okay, I’ll come by later tonight. I am only here for a few days to take care of business at SM. But I want to see you.”

“Ummm, okay,” Soyeon continued to give him blunt responses. She was not sure what to say to him. In reality, she didn’t want to see him just yet. Soyeon had not planned how she was going to go about the news of the baby.

“Are you okay? Is something wrong?” Yunho asked.

“No, just wasn’t expecting you to be back with your promotions all over Asia is all.”

“Oh, yeah. I didn’t really want to tell you until I actually came back. Sometimes my schedule changes last minute, you know that. But going through Asia has been so much fun. All the fans are amazing and unique everywhere. These places are beautiful too. I wish you could have been there. ”

“Yeah… me too.”

“Ok, I’ll see you tonight baby,” Yunho said lovingly through the phone.

“Ne…” after hearing Yunho’s gentle voice, Soyeon was trying hard not to cry. She felt the love he had for her, but also could sense the extent to how much he loves what he does. She could not let him step away from it all. She wouldn’t it let it happen, and SM Entertainment probably wouldn’t have any of it either.

As she looked down at the phone in her lap and wiped a single tear from her cheek, she thought a little and decided that tonight, she would make it special for him.

 

____________________________________________________________________

 

*Ding Dong

 

Soyeon was setting the table when the doorbell rang. She looked up and became really nervous. She slowly took off her apron and put it on the bar stool. She smoothed out her blouse and walked towards the door. When she opened the door, she saw Yunho holding a bouquet of flowers in front of his face. He pulled the bouquet down from his face and smiled at Soyeon.

“Hey baby,” he stepped into the apartment, grabbed Soyeon by the waist and kissed her.

When they pulled away, Soyeon was breathless, “H-hey.”

Yunho laughed, “Sorry, I’ve missed you. Here, these are for you.” He handed her the bouquet. She took them and sniffed.

“Their beautiful. Come, I made dinner,” Soyeon took his hand and lead him to the dining area.
“Sit down while I put this down and get the food,” Soyeon sat him in the seat.

“Mmmm, it smells good. What did you make?” Yunho yelled so that she could hear.

“You’ll see,” Soyeon was busy carefully carrying the pot to the table.

She brought them out and he saw that she made budae jigae. “You made budae jigae?”

“Yea, I hope it tastes good,” Soyeon went to the kitchen to get two bowls of rice and then sat down next to Yunho.

“When did you learn make this?” He asked as he took a spoonful of the soup.

“Ummm, today. I asked my mom for the recipe,” she said as she took a spoonful herself.

“Well, this is amazing babe. And it is your first time!” Yunho said excitedly.

Soyeon smiled at him and fed him a sausage from the soup.

“So how was your trip?”

“Pretty good. We did a couple of photoshoots and interviews for magazines. As always they asked me questions about you.”

“And what did you say?” Soyeon asked as she blew on her soup and rice.

“They asked me if we were going to get married, and when we would get married, and if I plan to have kids with you.”

“O-oh,” Soyeon was startled by the coincidence. It made her even more nervous about what she was hiding. “A-and what did you say?”

He put down his spoon and turned his body to face her. She looked at him with gentle and curious eyes.

“I told them that one day I do think I’ll marry you. You are the person I want to grow old with, to be with forever.”

Soyeon tried really hard not to cry.

“A-are you sure? Because that is a huge deal and you are still young, you don’t have to make decisions like that just yet.” She picked up her chopsticks again and started to grab a bunch of food from the pot and into her bowl and his. Yunho stopped her and grabbed her hands and made her face him again.

“Soyeon, I am serious. I have never been so sure of anything else in my life. I know that you don’t want to get married yet or settle down, and that is why I haven’t officially proposed yet. I also think we should wait because I don’t think I can be away from work at this point in life. I love what I do, and I love you so much, but we have our whole lives to be with each other, settle down, and start a family. I want everything for us to be perfect and when it is time for us to be husband and wife, time will tell us that. But what I promise you is that I will propose to you…” Yunho leaned in and pecked her on the lips. “…And you will be my wife…” another peck. “… And we will have amazing babies together.” Yunho kissed her a little more passionately on the last kiss.

When he pulled away, Soyeon opened her eyes and blinked at him a few times.

“Can we dance, Yunho?”

Yunho smiled at her, “Of course.” He took her hand and lead her to the living room. He went to her stereo and played one of her favorite songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gowKd52khyw&feature=related

Once again, she stepped onto his feet and wrapped her arms around his waist and leaned her head on his chest. He wrapped his arms around her waist and leaned his head on hers.

Soyeon thought back to what he said:

“I also think we should wait because I don’t think I can be away from work at this point in life. I love what I do, and I love you so much, but we have our whole lives to be with each other, settle down, and start a family.”

She knew from that moment that she could not tell him about the baby. It would change everything for him. She knew he wasn’t ready. She knew she had to deal with this secretly and on her own. She knew that she could not agree to Yunho’s promise.