An Abrupt Goodbye

Inexplicable Circumstances

 

A few days later…

 

“You have reached the mobile phone of ‘Han Soyeon.’ The number you have called is currently unavailable. Please leave a message after the tone.”

BEEP

“Baby, where are you? This is the 15th time I’ve called you. Please call me back.”

Yunho has been calling Soyeon all day. He wanted to say goodbye to her before he goes back to Japan today.

“Hyung, are you packed? The car is coming in a couple of hours,” Changmin walked into Yunho’s room. “You have barely packed. We’re leaving soon.”

“Soyeon isn’t picking up her phone. This is weird. I think I should go and see her,” Yunho said.

“Hyung, I’m sure she’s fine. She’s probably caught up with work like she always is.”

“But I’ve been calling her all day yesterday and today, she hasn’t picked up since. The last time I saw her was when I stopped by her place the day we landed here in Seoul,” Yunho said as he looked through his contacts to try and call Jessica.

“Jessica, have you talked to Soyeon lately?”

“Oppa? No. I haven’t talked to her since last week when we ha d lunch together. Why do you ask?”

“She hasn’t picked up any of my calls and I’m a little worried.”

“Oppa, I’m sure she’s fine. I know she is working with YG and their trainees. You talk to Teddy. He might know more than me.”

“Alright, thanks Jessica.”

“I hope everything is alright, Oppa. I’ll let you know if I hear from her. Keep me updated!”

“Ne.”

“Changmin, I’m going to go out for a bit. I won’t be gone long.”

“Hyung, we have a flight later tonight. We can’t be late.”

“I know, I won’t,” Yunho said as he grabbed the keys to his car and rushed out the door.

As Yunho sped all the way to the YG office, he made a couple more attempts at contacting Soyeon. No luck.

“Gahhh, where is she?”

Yunho parked his car and ran inside YG to see if he could find her working with the trainees.

He saw a group of young teens and assumed that they were the trainees Soyeon was working with.

“Anyeonghasayo, do you know Han Soyeon?”

“Soyeon Noona? Ye.”

“Have you guys seen her?”

“No, we were informed that we will not be working with her anymore,” said one of the boys.

Yunho’s eyes opened wide. He was astonished and so confused. Where could she be?

“Oh, why is that?”

“The company just told us that Noona had some other matters to take care of.”

“Oh, ummm, do you know where Teddy Sunbaenim is?”

“If you just walk down the hall, you might see him.”

“Kamsamnida,” Yunho bowed and rushed down the hall.

As he walked down the corridor, he saw Teddy in one of the recording areas. He opened the door and went in to talk to him.

“Teddy Hyung! Have you seen Soyeon?”

Teddy turned his attention to Yunho. He was somewhat surprised by his presence, but he also had a feeling Yunho would come to the office looking for her.

“Yunho, how are you?” Teddy smiled at him, trying to lighten the mood and figure out what he would tell Yunho.

“Hyung! I have no time, I need to know where Soyeon is.”

“Yunho, calm down. Have a seat,” Teddy gestured towards the sofa.

Yunho took a seat with his legs wide, his head hanging low, and elbows leaning on his thighs. As he caught his breath, he asked Teddy again, “Do you know where Soyeon is?”

“She hasn’t contacted me. I would only assume she is at home,” Teddy lied. He knew exactly where she was but Soyeon told him not to let anyone know.

“Why did she quit working with the trainees? That isn’t like her.”

“From what I know, she just has too many projects on her plate.” Lie number two.

“Yunho, you should go to her apartment and check that out. Let know if you find her or need help. Sorry, I gotta get back to the recording.”

Yunho sighed, messed his hair and got up and left.

“Sorry Yunho, I couldn’t tell where she is,” Teddy thought to himself.

 

*Flashback

 

“Flight 2569 to Los Angeles now boarding,” the voice on the speaker said.

“Soyeon, are you sure you want to do this? You should tell him, he would understand,” Teddy said as he held her hands in his, trying to convince her to stay and tell Yunho what is going on.

“Oppa, I’ve told you what he said and I’ve already decided. I want to go back to LA and deal with this. I can’t let him change and stop everything for me. Promise me you won’t tell him,” Soyeon held out her pinky finger.

“But it isn’t right. You shouldn’t have to go through this alone and he deserves to know. You didn’t even say bye to him.”

“Oppa, you said you would support me with whatever decision I made. I am leaving and that is final. Now hurry, I have to board the flight. Promise me that you will keep this a secret.” Soyeon stood up with her pinky finger still lifted in front of Teddy.

Teddy sighed and gave in. He took her pinky in his and shook it.

“Then you have to promise that you keep in touch and keep me updated. At least let me be there for you,” he said.

Soyeon smiled and gave Teddy a hug. “Goodbye Oppa.”

Soyeon walked towards the gate and into the plane.

When she got into her seat, she looked out the window and saw a small view of the city. She allowed herself to shed a single tear. “Goodbye Yunho.”