Chapter 5

You Are The Reason

With a smile on her face, Byul sets her journey.

But then she stops walking and says to herself, ”Wait! Where will I start looking for her…?” She rubs the side of her forehead as she looks around.

“Mhmmmm… I’m not Wheein that has a super nose to detect if there’s any human near….. ohhhhh I know.. Yongsun give me a beating heart.. sooooo I’ll just follow my heart…” She starts walking again, this time thinking of names that she will call Yongsun. A pet name actually.

”Mhmmm.. what is suitable for her..? Soyar.. no, not this one. Solar? No, either.. She said she likes cute things… Donnie? No.. it’s a guy’s name.. Sun? Nope.. it’s too common and not cute… mhmmmm... ahhhh Yongdonie..!” Her heartbeat answered with a hard thump at that.

 “That is cute.. hhahha, or I can call her Yeba… but she might get angry so yeah Yongdonnie is owkie… it’s decided then.”

She makes her way to her destination, whispering the new nickname she has invented, until she arrives at the community. But she saw how it’s heavily guarded by many soldiers, so she thinks of other ways to get inside without anyone noticing her.

After a couple of days, she’s finally able to enter inside by finding a secret passage where no one even zombies would thought that it can lead them to the human haven.

Once she’s inside, she thought, ”After the survey, deep thinking and planning… I’m finally putting the data that I get about humans into action….. sooo they walk straight, smile, wave to everyone and say hi…. that’s it… I must imitate them..”

Byul tries to walk like a normal person would do, but she didn’t realize that the actual people in the place look at her weirdly and think that she’s crazy while others think that she got a weird walking style.

When she thought that she already fits in, she tries to find where Solar is staying.

“Where does she live..?” she looks around not knowing where to go, and takes the left way trying to be lucky in her search.

 

Meanwhile.

 

Solar and Whasa were talking and laughing in Solar’s place, when suddenly Whasa says,

”Solar... your moon is here.”

Yongsun coughs in incredulity.

”Yeah, yeah.. stop making fun of me. It’s not funny anymore.” She pinches her nose as a habit.

”I know it’s not funny and I’m not making fun of you. I said that because, she’s here and I just saw her outside..” Hwasa gets ready to see her reaction.

“What?! Aaahh you are joking again. I won’t fall into the same joke again so stop it!”

“I’m not lying this time. She’s really here. You should go and check it out by yourself.” Hwasa looks at her with her serious face.

Seeing her seriousness, her heart starts to beat faster and louder in her chest.

“Really..?” she looks at her carefully.

If she’s making up an act I should send her to Hollywood because she looks so natural. 

Yongsun then turns around and walks toward the balcony but she didn’t saw her.

”Hwasa..!” She looks at her with her upset face.

“Mhh?”

“I knew it. You are lying again!”

“Eh? Is she not there? She should be, I swear I just saw her.”

Yongsun looks at her frowning.

“She’s not there!” she pinches her arm this time.

“Are you sure that it was her? Maybe you just mistaken someone to be her or.. you’re just imagining things since you love it and got a wide imagination.” She raises her left eyebrow.

Hwasa shakes her head while rubbing her pinched arm.

”No, I really saw her. I’m serious. She’s going that way.”

”if you say so… then let’s go and find her.. but if you are fooling me again, you just wait.” Yongsun sends her thunders throgh her eyes.

“Owkie!!” Hwasa claps her hands once excitedly.

“I smell adventure! Mhmmmh, I’m liking it…. love love love…” she mutters but Yongsun hear it.

She blushes and takes her friend wrist.

“Don’t say nonsense!”

They went to the place where Whasa said she saw Moonbyul but they didn’t see her. No trace about her.

They try to search the place to no avail. Just when they decided to head home, Yongsun sees a figure in the corner, and she’s sure as hell that she knows who it is.

Without telling Whasa, she slowly approaches the female figure,and when she’s near enough, she calls her.

”B-b..  byu… ash..” she rubs nervously her forehead and clears .

“Byul?”

Hearing that voice, Moonbyul turns around and is greeted by Yongsun’s face, turning into a surprised one. She gasps.

With longing eyes but a smile on her face,

”What are you doing here?! And how did you get inside the community? If the soldiers will know this you are dead..!”

Byul just looks at her.

Yongsun talks again after looking briefly around.

“Are you alone? Is something wrong?”

Annnd then Whasa enters the scene.

”How could you just leave me there by myself? I thought you’re still at my back so I keep on talking, then I realize I was alone.”

She pinches her cheek but she got no reaction from Solar.

That’s when she notices that they are not alone.

”Whoooohhhh!!!!! Oooh hi there! I guess you’re moon…. Solar’s moon..?”

She eyes the frozen Solar.

“Hey you, don’t just stand there like a star struck teenager. Hurry and introduce me to your moon..”

The latter blinks as she comes back from spacing out.

”Oh? I ah… wait… what did you say? She’s not my moon…. well kinda mhmmm… never mind…” Hwasa smirks at her.

“Byul… this is Whasa my best friend… Whasabi this is Byul, my.. ah how do I call it….”

”Yeah your moon… sooo hi!” Hwasa greets her waving her hand with a bright smile.

Byul just groans as an answer.

“Wow you don’t look like a zombie but you’re cold… but not that cold… you’re pretty too just like how Solar described you…. and….”

Byul just has closed while staring at both of them.

Solar warns Hwasa her with her eyes.

”Shhh! Stop it already Whasa.. you’re embarrassing me!” she presses her own lips with her forefinger.

Then realization strikes Solar.

”OMG! What are you doing here? It’s dangerous for you to be here! You know that…” She looks at Byul with her anxious face and looks around making sure no soldier is staring at them.

But before Byul can answer her questions, Whasa interrupts.

“How did you get in here?”

Byul prepares herself to talk.

”I.. mhmm.. kinda found a secret passage and… here I am…”

Solar butts in.

”Owkie, enough with the chit chat and let's go to the house, it’s not safe here. Follow us.” Byul does what she’s been told, not caring the stares from the people to their way there.

 

At Solar’s house.

 

They sit over the bed.

“So now.. Byul, answer my questions properly.”

”Which one?”

”All of them.”

”Oh owkie.. well.. I wanted to talk to you and….”

Whasa is the one who butts in now.

”Woow confession tiiimmeee!!! I see a lot of hearts floating in the air hhhayyyy! Love…”

”Sssshh.. shut up Whasa.“

”Ouch! That’s harsh…” Hwasa pretends to be hurt by Solar's firm command and starts hitting her chest.

Yongsun’s eyes soften.

”Let her talk..” she receives a soldier salute as an answer making her smile.

Moonbyul told them everything on how Solar had changed her and even the other zombies. She told them about her beating heart. About not enjoying brains anymore to the little changes that the rest are experiencing too.

”You are changing us… you… change me… you gave me not only a heart but a beating one…. you make my brain work again. You let me sleep and have dreams, think too. You let me have a purpose and most importantly, you made me feel, feel of being alive… well not really that alive but more than what I was before… my heart now is beating for someone, my brain is thinking of someone, a feeling of missing someone, a purpose to protect that someone and the reason to be here is for that someone… and that someone is you….”

Yongsun’s mouth is hanging open visibly speechless. She doesn’t know what to say as her brain is not working anymore while trying hard to process what she just heard. Until Whasa destroys the moment.

”I never thought that zombies could get this greasy at times too….. I think I can fry myself from too much greasiness in here.”

Moonbyul looks at her a bit frustrated.

”Awww.. you just ruined the moment.. do you know how hard I practiced and memorized all that…? It’s too long for me but since my heart has been hit by cupid for so many times I told myself…. I need to do it..”

Hwasa fans herself with her hands.

”Oh my, help, too much greasiness, I’m drowning…. stop it already.. now Solarshi? Would you mind telling your side? You’ve had enough spacing out….. don’t tell me you become a zombie now?”

Solar snaps into reality.

”Huh? Oh, no no.. well, aaahh.. buff, I don’t know what to say….” she scratches her forehead with her forefinger.

”In that case, I think you also feel the same…. so now how can we tell your dad that you already had a girlfriend annnd it’s a zombie without him freaking out?”

Solar's eyes pop out two meters and come back to its place.

”My dad?! Nooo! ... wait.., we need to plan it perfectly or else not only is my father going to kill her but all the people here and… wait? Did you say girlfriend?” Hwasa nods.

“Give us a moment..” She smiles slightly at Byul while she receive a blink from  her.

Solar and Hwasa start whispering, showing their back to the latter.

“What do you mean girlfriend?! Nooo! I don’t even know if I feel the same about her and if I do.. I don’t know if it’s love..”

Solar keeps on denying that she’s developing a feelling for Moonbyul. As stubborn as always.

Whasa telling her that she’s definitely in love with Byul while the beautiful zombie is just listening to them and occasionally nodding on what one of them tellsthe other.

But one thing they all agreed on at the end, is that they will wait for the right time to tell Solar’s father about Moonbyul and what Solar did to her and the other zombies.