Chapter 3

You Are The Reason

Solar's back in the community. After taking a good shower and changing her dirty clothes she roams around and smiles as she see the familiar faces of the people she knows and have been missing.

She should definitively be happy but she can tell that there’s something ‘s a bit off.

Her constant frowning and spacing out while standing in front of the window didn’t go unnoticed by her best friend Whasa, who has been staring at her for a long time now.

One day she cannot take it anymore and approaches her, poking her on the shoulder.

“Hey. What’s wrong with you? You seem out since you came back here. I’ve been calling your name for a couple of times but you keep staring out of the window. Are the comets crossing the sky up there or something?” Whasa looks up at the sky full of bright stars. A soft smile draws on her lips at how beautiful this night is.

“Yeah, the stars look incredibly beautiful. But that’s not what it makes me …..out like this. I know I should be happy since I’m safe. I’m back, getting to see my father and you.” Yongsun pinches her nose playfully with a bright smile.

“But…” she looks up at the sky again. Her smile vanishes gently.

Hwasa looks at her expression carefully.

”Don’t tell me you miss your,” she clears purposely.

“Ex-boyfriend?” Whasa quotes it with her fingers.

“Coz I know that it’s not true. I can definitely tell, something else is bothering you or worrying you, maybe? I know you since… when again? I’m getting confused with the dates right now.”

“Mmmhh.. actually anything that have numbers or even connected with them… specially age.. oh oh oh I don’t know how old I am now, annndddd leave it alone, it’s better like this..” Yongsun pretends to look serious but she’s secretly smirking.

Hwasa turns her head and see a serious Yongsun. But,the latter can’t hold it back and burst out laughing. ”Hahahahha. You crazy! What are you saying?” She pushes her a bit making them giggle together.

Then Yongsun sighs.

“Well, I guess I need to tell you what really happened to me since you are my best friend. But promise me that you’re not going to tell anyone, not even my father or else a war will happen. Annnddd don’t tell me that I’m crazy.” She makes a funny face.

“Mhmmh the crazy part? No need to tell me that coz we both know that we…are… crazy already.. that’s why we get along so well haha.” says Whasa emphasizing the word “we are“ while playfully pinching her nose too.

“Owkie, go on with the story… obviously this, is making you too distracted since you arrived. Huuummm… oh, wait a moment! I need to get some food and drinks first.”

....

Hwasa's sitting silently while listening attentively to Yongsun’s story while eating and drinking…But she can’t help thinking, Ahhh! Just like watching a romantic movie!

Yongsun tells her what happened, except the fact that she thinks she’s been developing a weird feeling for the zombie. She knows what it is but she keeps on denying it, because as everyone knows, a person must be insane to like a zombie.

“Mhhmmm… I think I know what’s missing here… it’s not a thing obviously, and not a human? You know with a beating heart and something like that?.. aah.. mhmm, how do you call her? Ah! Moon, right?”

Yongsun nods slowly. Her heart skipping a beat after listening that name.

“Huumm….. it’s possible…. Mhmm mhmm (while putting her fingers in her chin) I can’t believe I’m going to say this but, it’s possible that.. that zombie… I mean you, Solar… have developed some feelings for her.”Hwasa studies her best friend’s face with every detail as she chews a chip thoughtfully.

But then Yongsun says, ”No.. no.. no…it can’t be… it shouldn’t be and it will never be.. you see, it’s two different world we’re at, and all the people are mad at them and want them dead..”

Whasa replies, ”How sure you are that “ALL” people hate them? Follow what your heart says, be happy for once…. stop denying it or you will be the one to suffer at the end…..”

Yongsun’s eyes open widely in shock.

”How do you know that I’m in love and just denying it? Give me a prof….”

Whasa thinks, her eyes shine too much, her cheeks turn pink and her lips are redder than usual. Mhmm very suspicious!

”Well, let me tell you the obvious parts… first you tell her name like it was the most sacred word… 2nd, you keep on repeating her name even if you can say “her”? 3rd, your actions speak it all and lastly.. I can see a zombie reflection in your eyes.. that, my dear is why I can say you are… definitely in love with her.”

”Nooooo.. noo, no…!! It can’t happen! Welllll…. I got weird feelings when she’s near and I feel safe too. But for fox sake she’s a zombie. We’re talking about a zombie! It can’t be..! You know that my ideal type of man is Karl Urban, but happened to fall with Eric and I had my best memories with him. He loved me and I loved him too.”

“Are you sure that you both were in love?… or you both just needed something called companionship, you needed each other to ease the pain from the tragic that happened to your loved ones. You both needed someone who could comfort you and tell you that everything will be owkie.. You see, I can sense you're different from when you were with Eric and when you came back from outside…. you’re more like… happy, like you found what you’re looking for.”

Yongsun’s speechless at her comment as she’s busy thinking.

Happy when I came back…? Uhhh… no. Yes….! Aaargghh I don’t know!

“What if.. that female zombie made your heart open like a flower in spring? Made you feel something for her?"

“Oh, Jesus Hwasa!” Yongsun stands up from the bed she’s been sitting at and faces her with her shocked face.

“Are you listening to yourself? What you are saying right now it’s absolutely crazy and not a joke at all! I didn’t know you are even weirder than me!”

Hwasa stands up as well taking her wrists then put her hands in her shoulders to relax her.

“Solar… Solar, calm down. Do you think it’s easy for me to say this? I feel like slapping my lips because they are tickling me so much. It’s super shocking for me too! I would never dare to say something like this but after listening to your story…. you must think seriously about this and what I told you. The way you just talked about that zombie makes me think things you know? I may be super weird but I’m not an idiot or stupid, Solar. That zombie has awakened a feeling inside of you. I can see it! Your eyes tell me.”

“You are just saying nonsense….”

“Nope! I’m serious Solar. This is damn real! Let’s look ourselves on the mirror. Come on.”

Hwasa guides her gently in front of the vertical mirror against the wall, to show her what’s she’s talking about.

“Do you see it? I’m telling you my friend. Look at your eyes and your expression. I have never seen this kind of expression in you. Not even when you were with Eric. Believe me. I’m in my right mind. You should decide what you are going to do yes or yes.” Hwasa faces her.

“What do you mean?” Yongsun frowns a bit.

Hwasa looks at her deeply with her serious face.

“I…. have been following you since you left the drug store with her, Moon. Nothing happened to me, so don’t worry. But I have seen some very suspicious interactions with Moon and one zombie of her pack. She’s very good looking even though she’s a zombie. Her hair is long and light brown. I was surprised to see how pretty she is you know? She’s always touching her everywhere…  gosh, you should have seen it. I didn’t know zombies were erts too. That’s why you must decide what you are going to do. Ignore this feeling inside of you or going to look for her and confess to her?“

“I-I can’t believe what I’m…” Hwasa plants her forefinger against her lips.

”Mhmmm your definitely in love no doubt, no need to argue and no need to investigate. It’s up to you now”.

Goodness… is she drunk? She must have eaten a lot of the chips or maybe having a fever that’s why she’s saying all these weird things.

Yongsun places her hand against her forehead to check her temperature.

“You don’t seem to have fever though…”

“What do you mean fever? Don’t change the topic like this. I’m perfectly fine.”

“Oh?! Solaarr, is that Moon?..! Moon’s in front of our house..!” Solar run in and was looking left to right.

”Where?!!” Hwasa laughs behind her palm, finding it fascinating.

“Heeyyy, don’t do that! Assshh..” Yongsun smacks the blanket with her hand as she blushes.

“And you told me that you wouldn’t fall for a zombie that people hate them…. but look at you by just hearing that she’s here you run like a dog..” Whasa was rolling the bed while laughing.

And then Yongsun got serious again. ”Stop laughing! To be honest, it’s not actually her face that I see, but her heart. She’s different compared to others. It’s like she has a beating heart and she has a mind of her own, though she’s beautiful… I mean yes she’s a zombie but she’s… she’s… cute….”

“Do they have heart, I mean a beating heart? Yes I know zombies have a heart but beating heart?”

”I don’t know but I can feel it, and the way she looks at me it’s different. I feel weird but in a good way. My heart beats faster when she does that… aaargghhh this is so crazyyy…. I don’t know what to do exactly..! I have never felt like this before… uughh!” Yongsun throws herself backward in the bed.

Her reaction makes Hwasa smile widely.

“Don’t worry, Solar.. if you need help with something just tell me. I’ll be here.” she pats her stomach.

When she’s about to stand up and go to the kitchen, Yongsun put her hands in whasa’s back pocket  to stop her.

“Uuhh?”

“Next time, don’t chase after me. Never do that again. Instead call me, tell me that you will go with me. If I say no, then argue with me until I say yes, okay? I don’t want anything bad happen to you. I don’t want to lose my best friend.”

Hwasa eye smiled at her as she nods touched by her words, placing her hand on her wrist, to squeeze it as a confirmation.

“Okay, I will, Promise.” Hwasa shows her sign of victory with her forefinger and middle finger, making the lying Yongsun smile at her before she lets her go.