Chapter 2

You Are The Reason

Yongsun sees the zombie still hitting her chest making her frown in confusion.

What is she doing? Do zombies do that? …… mhmmm she’s weird and…… and……

 She looks at her at her face and her hand hitting her chest carefully for a while.

“Cute…”

Yongsun’s eyes open widely with surprise at the word that slipped out from her lips.

 Ohhh don’t think like that, what are you saying Yongsun?! She’s a zombie! She kills and eats brains. She’s scary as hell! All of them are!

Byul stops hitting herself and looks up, locking eyes with the busy-thinking girl, realizing that she’s acting weird standing there all the time without doing anything or showing no scared reaction, so she starts walking towards her step by step. On the other hand, Yongsun is back into reality quickly in a blink, breathing fast as she walks backward until her back meets the wall. Her eyes look desperately for something that may help to defend herself but it’s just too far.

Damn it, how could I think of nonsense at a moment like this?! I’m so doomed!!!

She closes her eyes tightly and bites her lower lip hard, waiting for the worse. Her hands tight closed into fists. Surprisingly for her nothing of that happens. Instead, she just feels something wet on her face, a dark fluid stains on her cheeks, neck and hands from Byul’s hand.

After a while, Byul moves away staring at her with carefulness.

Feeling nothing else, Yongsun opens her eyes in a slow way waiting for the worse. But she only sees Byul standing in front of her like a frozen statue.

 Oh goodness! Don’t tell me they have new style of killing people?! OMG! I must be her subject for experiment right….? She wants to do something first before killing me for sure. How nice! I’ll die in a very weird and terrible way….. huhuhuhuhu....

 Byul blinks slowly and parts her lips trying to speak properly.

”You are…..safe…..now….. this fluid will make the other zombies think.... you are one of us...”.

Her slow statement makes Yongsun gasp.

What?! Did she said I’m safe? Yeah sure! … oh god, even angels sound like zombies now? Wait…

“Am I dead?” she whispers.

”No….you…. are… alive…..come with….me… follow me….”

Byul walks to the drug store door seeing no one behind of her from the reflection glass. She turns around making the latter be wary again.

“Aren’t you… coming…? I don’t think you want... to stay here…. the fluid I put on your face, neck and hands... won't stay there forever... there are thousand of us roaming inside this building....” 

Yongun looks at Byul with confused and insecure stare, but her feet start to move even though she wanted to keep staying still.

When she’s near enough, Byul takes her wrist gently and guides her throughout the corridor till they are outside. 

They arrive at the airport and Yongsun gets really nervous since she can see a lot of zombies around the area. When they notice them, every zombie looks at them both while sniffing the air.

”Relax…. just walk beside me.. and don’t stay behind…”

”How can I relax when I’m the only one alive here…. I’m human, and THEY ARE LOOKING AT US. Especially at ME!” Yongsun’s heart beats crazy and anxiously.

“They… look at us... because.. they smell…brain…”

“Yeaaah… brain, my brain, right? My poor brain!” she says with sarcastic tone as she rubs her forehead.

“Yes….”

“Wait before they come here and eat it like a delicious cake. Can you write my last words to my father? Tell him that I love him..”

Argghh this is ridiculous! I’m so scared that I can’t even control what my mouth says!

“Owkie I’m ready….” Says Byul, then she shakes her hair making it a mess, shocking Yongsun to the max.

Wooooo!!!

Byul moves away her hand as the scared Yongsun fixes her long brown hair quickly.

”Yeba… I said… you are safe…. nothing to worry… I have brain… on my pocket... that’s why… they look at us all the time..… they can’t smell your scent… because you smell… like us….”

“Uh…”  Yongsun looks down at herself, then sniffs the air showing her disgusted face a second later.

Oh my, I smell so bad… that wet thing she put on my face earlier… uuuugghh!

“Come….”

“Where are we going..?”

“My place…”

Byul takes her wrist again, guiding her inside the airplane that she calls her home.

She sees her slowly taking a seat as she looks around with her insecure expression, hugging her legs as she looks at the female zombie expectant and careful of all her movements.

“Here…. you are safe… out of danger...”

Byul sits at the other side occupying three of the seats as she rests her back against the window, letting a long sigh before locking Yongsun’s eyes with hers.

Safe? Yeah, indeed. What kind of zombie is she?!.... maybe she’s trying to make me feel good first then later she can eat me when I’m off guard.

The latter breaks quickly the eye contact staring somewhere else, busying herself feeling awkward as she looks around the plane.

She sees a lot of music material at the end of the corridor making her curious, so she stands up eyeing Byul for a moment, walking toward the pile of classic CD’s classified altogether and into an alphabetical order.

Great Kpop singers and groups like 2NE1, 5dolls, After School, Big Bang, BoA, DBSK, Ft Island and the list goes on, makes her eyes shining as diamonds. Her heart beats excitedly seeing the musical artists she likes the most. Not only Korean artists but American singers too.

A zombie has all of these great, absolutely amazing CD’s? No…. it’s not possible. Maybe the crew in here was into KPOP and American music too?

A tiny smile spreads in her lips at the thought.

Setting up a CD on the old music system, she finds herself standing there while listening good songs like Bareilles – I choose you, Elvis Presley - Falling in love, Justin Timberlake – Can’t stop the feeling, Howie day – Collide.

As Yongsung’s too immersed on the music, doesn’t notice Byul approaching to her from behind till she’s beside of her. Then a tear falls from her tear making her blink looking at it carefully.

“Why is there water in your eyes….?”

Her voice brings the girl back, shocking her a bit and feel tensed again, before releasing a sigh.

Yongsun wipes the tear making its way down to her cheek with the back of her palm and looks up at the roof, feeling soft fresh air caressing her face as the wind blows outside.

“There’s a hole up there…. so it dropped directly to my eyes…. I’m not crying or anything.”

Byul looks at her eyes carefully for a long time, making Yongsun feel tensed again.

“I can see….. that you are not happy….”

The brown haired girl looks at her, taken back by her statement since zombies are known to be incredibly dumb and empty minded.

“A-ah……” Yongsun scratches her nape not knowing what to say.

“Well…. I just… miss the old times where you can run around without being scared that something will happen to you. Without having the feeling that you may die anytime. I just…,” Yongsun clears .

“I just wanted to live peacefully before, but now, life is not peaceful anymore….” She pauses, moving her head down to stare at the CD’s. Then she realizes the kind of conversation she just had with Byul.

Omo! Why am I talking to a zombie like she’s human?! This is crazy! Am I nuts or what?

She smacks her head mentally.

I can pay 143895905 won that she didn’t understand a single word of what I said.

She frowns at her own reflection and looks at the spacing out female zombie, staring her with her dead gaze.

“Uuuhh… I said nothing. Just forget it!” Yongsun walks away from her. Taking the chance, she runs to the airplane door and open it to escape but Byul closes it, pushing her gently backward from it.

“No…. don’t go out. Is dangerous…… you are safe here….. stay….”

“I don’t dare to stay here. You might attack me when I’m not staring. Staying here with you is more dangerous than being outside of this place.”

Yongsun pushes her away tempting to move down the handlebar but Byul pushes her away once again.

“Don’t leave… believe me; I won’t hurt you….. I want to protect you….”

Protect me?

Yongsun swallows her saliva as she steps back while Byul walks toward her.

She ends up sitting inevitably in the chair, before looking out of the window, feeling her tiredness coming to surface.

They threw a few glances at each other for a while, till her eyes feel heavy. Soon she falls asleep with her arms crossed hugging her legs to keep herself warm.

Byul looks at her seeing her chicken skin because of the cold, so she roams around the airplane looking for a blanket and put it carefully around of her trying to not disturb her sleep.

“Good night….”

 

The next morning.

 

Soft sunrays illuminate her face that come straight from the ovoid window.

Yongsun wakes up with Byul staring at her, but as soon as she saw her is awake, she pretends to be asleep which make the latter blink.

 She shakes her hair a bit with her sleepy face.

“Good morning…. what are you doing? Zombies don’t sleep so don’t pretend to be asleep. Besides, I saw you.”

Byul opens her eyes and sees her releasing a wide yawn before stretching her body.

Assshh here I am, talking to her like this zombie is human again... you dummy!

Yongsun looks at her carefully.

“I remember something…. You called me Yeba. What’s that…?”

“Yeba……” repeats Byul.

“Yes, that. What’s the meaning of that?”

“Beautiful and idiot….. is a mix of the two words: Yeppeo and babo.…”

Yeppeo and …

Yongsun frowns with surprised expression.

How could she think of a thing like this?! What is she..?!

“What are you?” she asks curious.

“You... are definitely different.”

Byul just groans shrugging her shoulders, earning a sigh from her.

“Okay, forget what I just said. Let’s just keep listening music.” She says showing her hand.

“Music…..”

The female zombie closes her eyes as the song 2NE1 – I love you plays at the background.

This question will be so ridiculous, but…

“What’s your name?“

“Name….”

“Yes..”

“Moon…”

“Moon?” She asks to make sure she heard it well.

“Yeah, Moon….”

“That’s how the other zombies call me…. so many name is Moon…” she adds, staring at Yongsun’s beautiful eyes.

“I see….. well, I can’t believe I’m going to introduce myself to a zombie like you…, but mine’s Yongsun. My nickname is Soyar, oh my! I mean Solar.” Yongsun corrects herself quickly smacking her lips mentally after a pigeon hit itself on the window, startling her a little, that's why she ended up saying a different name.

Her hand waits for her to shake Byul’s.

Stupid hand! You were not supposed to do that!

Before she can move her hand away, Byul reaches her out with hers.

“Soyar…..”

Her hand feels cold and dry at the contact.

“U-uh… n-not Soyar.. but Solar..”

“Soyar….. sounds good, I will call you like that….”

“N-no, don’t call me-“

Byul’s hand squeezes hers a bit more. Her gaze deepening into Yongsun’s.

“Okay.. call me Soyar then…”

Listening that, she softens the grip, holding her gently toward the end of her fingers.

Byul feels the warmness for a last moment before she places her own hand over her legs.

Hours fly one after another quickly, until 1, 2 and 3 days have passed already.

It has been such long days staying inside the airplane with nothing else to do but listening good music and feeding her hungry stomach with cheap cookies and stuff just to survive the necessary and not dying from hunger.

Yongsun sighs deeply as she’s feeling dizzy because she's so damn hungry. She rubs her hot forehead.

“I have a question.. it’s been 3 days since I’m staying in here.”

Byul just look at her.

“When can I go home? My father and friends must be crazy looking for me out there.”

Byul groans.

“Another day… to be sure is safe for you to get out…” Her facial expression looks so serious. 

Yongsun frowns a bit.

“But I can’t stay in here no more. I have a family. I know they are looking for me somewhere.”

Byul refuses to let her go, instead she wants her to stay so she can protect her and keep her safe. But besides her warning, Yongsun sees the door and quickly walks toward it to snick out when the latter went to change a CD for another, running away from the airplane as fast as she can as she looks back to make sure she’s not caught escaping.

Zombies walking around shock her, making her almost swear because of the surprise.

“Damn it!” She runs and hides behind the huge wheels from the plane.

Please, go away, go away!

They sniff in the air as they can smell the human scent, stepping closer and closer where she is. Then, a zombie spots her, making him scream to warn the others and runs to her.

"Shiit!" she finally curses.

Byul’s spacing out while listening the music, when she hears the commotion happening outside and opens the door.

She sees Yongsun being surrounded by them, groaning wildly, deciding who’s going to be the first one to bite her.  

Byul quickly thinks of a way to save her but before she can do something she sees Wheein holding a good looking dress all of a sudden.

”Yooo…! I got a new dressss, wanna see….?” She gestures to Byul to get Yongsun out.

Turning around to face Yongsun.

“Soyar… go inside the airplane now… don’t run.. just walk.”

Hesitantly with fear in the body, the latter does what she’s been told.

Seeing her closing the door, Byul faces Wheein.

“Wheein-ah…, I know you are acting weird… though you are already weird…, but you are much weirder after you saw her. So don’t ask why and don’t thank me coz I know…..besides I can feel something weird building up into my necrotic body….”

“Something weird…. what do you mean…?” Wheein angles her head to the left.

“I don’t know how to explain…. but I feel something inside the chest….”

“Chest….”

Wheein places her hand against her sternum, shocking Byul.

“Don’t touch me…. you ert…” Byul rubs her chest stepping back once.

“Sssorryyy… I just wanted to touch you there… to see if I can feel the same thing as you…”

They groan at each other.

“I’ll go to Soyar… wait here…”

“Yesss…” She and the rest of her friends nod.

After what just happened, Byul decides to let her go home but with her by her side.

She waves her hand at them saying goodbye.

“We’ll see each other again….”

“Yess… be careful….” Says Sinb waving back.

Sharing a nod, they leave them there, traveling for a long time by foot under the rain and sunshine.

 

Some hours later.

 

“We better find a house to spend the night so we can rest. I hope we find food. I’m so hungry that I feel like I’m able to eat an entire cow by myself.” Yongsun jokes and smiles at her own comment.

Byul looks at her smiling. She looks really pretty, but her lips are purple because of the cold getting inside her body way too much.

Getting inside to a really beautiful house they saw at the end of the street, Byul helps her to search for food and clothes to change since they both are wet from head to feet.

Luckily they found some canned fruits in the kitchen and beers inside the fridge which Yongsun was so reluctant to eat and drink. Her eyes shining as stars at the sight of those fresh beers with small drops of water stick on them.

Yongsun sighs in delight as she feels the beer making its way down .

”Wow.., It’s been a long time since I last drank one of this. In the community, you can only have it when we have a big celebration. It’s too precious to just drink up in a normal day. So this beer right now it feels like is just a gift from heaven.”

She gulps down the beer in one shot since she’s been craving for one since months.

Once they are settled to sleep, they talk about random things. Unvoluntarily, Byul chews the last piece of Eric’s brain and chew it.

Memories from him and Yongsun fighting with her zombie friends at the drug store before he died into Byul’s hands, makes her swallow it with bitterness on her paladar.

The guiltiness invades her from inside and out, making Byul's jaw pressing hard her teeth against each other.

It takes her a while to start to speak. Finally, closing her hands into fists, she finds courage to confess she was the one that killed him.

 “Soyar…. there’s something that I have to tell you…. the time when we attacked you at the drug store… it was me the one who killed your boyfriend…. his name is.. Ric Bam or.. Sic Nap, I don't really know......"

 

Silence.

 

"I’m sorry….” Byul turns her head toward her as she's lying on the floor.

Thinking of what to say, Yongsun looks at the ceiling.

“Eric Nam, that's his name... we were not really in good terms even before we volunteered to be outside... I always found him thinking deep it’s like he had lots of thinking to be done and he didn’t want me in it. It all started when he saw his father being attacked by zombies. When he wasn’t thinking, he would only talk about how to kill zombies and it seems that I don’t exist anymore in his life. But I just understand him since it’s not that easy to see someone you love die like his father did. Let’s sleep. I’m kind of tired and we need to be up early tomorrow…. goodnight, Moon.” With that, Yongsun turns around facing her back to Byul.

“Goodnight…”

She closes her eyes as well.

For the very first time, Byul was able to sleep and even dream. She dreamed of Eric, asking her what was her dream. Asking her to take good care of Yongsun or should he say Soyar as she calls her. Telling her to give her the love he couldn’t give anymore… to say he’s sorry.

 

The next morning.

 

The sun is shining so bright outside, sweetly traversing the window as Byul’s pale face is illuminated by it.

She opens her eyes and sits properly on the floor as she rubs her messy hair, but then she’s confused when she sees no one lying in bed. No trace of Solar nor the room.

“Soyar…..”

Byul looks for her everywhere but she’s just not there. Then she realizes that Yongsun left without her knowing.

Heading downstairs, she sees a letter over the table.

She takes it and read it slowly word per word.

 

I decided to leave before it gets out of hand..

The people hates your kind and I don’t want anything happen to you.

My father would kill you without thinking twice if he sees me with you.

Yesterday night I saw him and his crew with weapons passing by the house we were in, meaning they were close out there.

Thank you for everything… Moon. For saving me so many times. You are indeed one of a kind so you can be proud of yourself.

Be safe and I hope we will not see each other again...

 

Yongsun.

 

Byul leaves the letter back at the table and looks outside the window.