Sequel

Against the current

7.

Later that day I left the office and went exploring by myself which wasn't very smart. Looks like news here spread faster than light. Everybody was whispering, some were taking photos and soon small crowds became bigger and bigger. I was walking faster and faster until I was running. Some girls ran after me. What the they want? I hid behind a van and crouched down. In situations like these it would damn well be best if I had a phone. My heart was thumping and I knew I couldn't stay hidden any longer. Whispering was closer now. My fear grew. I felt sick. Last time I was hidden alone like this, running away from someone, was when my father was alive. One time he punched my stomach so hard I was throwing up whole night. My hands shook and my vision went blurry. What do I do? I stood up and ran in a random direction. Soon after I was starting to realize that I am in a familiar neighborhood. I ran inside the building which I first saw early this morning. There was a list of names of people who lived there and by the name was a bell. Well of course Simon had a Korean name. Luckily there was only a few names. I pressed one and a lady answered. Not that one. I press second one. A child answered. Wrong again. Third time's a charm. I press the bell and after a long silence there was a deep voice answering.

''Open the door please.''-I said quickly.

''Who.. Aki?''-he asked I didn't even get to answer when I heard the door open loudly on the third floor I think. ''Come!''-he yelled and I ran upstairs. I was all out of air again when I reached him and I was really about to mess up his floor and my dignity.

''Bathroom!''-I panicked and he took my hand to lead me. He opened the door and if I weren't sick I would have enjoyed the beautiful decor this man had but as soon as I saw the toilet I threw up everything that I have eaten since yesterday. I was clutching the toilet seat when I remembered him standing above me. I looked at him and his face was a mass of concern.

''What happened?''-he asked crouching beside me. This is the worst.

''Long story... well not really. But can we talk about it later?''-I ask feeling the new outflow coming up.

''Sure. Can I get you water?''-he asked and I nodded. But before he left he took my hand and pulled of a hair band I had around my wrist. He gathered my hair even the lost strands that were sticking to my sweaty face and pulled it up in a pony tail. Not sure where he mastered that and I don't really wanna know. Simon then left the bathroom and returned with a glass of water with ice. He is practically a God to me now. I drank the water and I could feel my nerves relaxing and my nausea fading. I sat on the floor like a child. Few moments passed when he did the same thing. He sat in front of me. Legs crossed and he leaned on his arms behind him. ''Are you feeling better?''-he asked.

''Yeah thank you.''-I say. I stood up slowly almost regaining my full strength and feeling silly for this charade. He stood up too and held my elbow. ''No, I really am fine.''-I say.

''I'll be the judge of that.''-he said not letting go. We went to his huge living room and I wondered if he has the whole floor for himself. ''Can you tell me now?''-he asked.

''I sorta had a panic attack. Nothing big, no worries.''-I say and shrug.

''Aki, a panic attack doesn't just happen for no reason.''-Simon said.. I tried to look anywhere else but him. ''Don't ignore me again when I am right in front of you.''-he asked and he sounded a little pissed off. Well I would be too. I was being rude beyond my will.

''Sorry I am just not big on conversations, and I never will be.''-I say putting my defense up. His expression softened.

''What was the cause of your panic?''-he asked.

''People chasing me. Not letting me breathe.''-I say. He closed his eyes and nodded slowly.

''I get it. It's my life. I am sorry you had to experience it alone. I know Jay is busy but he could have been there with you when he knew how famous you're going to become now.''-he said knowingly.

''Thankfully I haven't forgotten where you live.''-I say and manage to smile a little. I think that put him at ease.

''Or maybe you are stalking me.''-he said and laughed. I laughed even tough I didn't think it was funny. I did remember unnecessary things about him on purpose. It was already dark outside when I stood up. I haven't been here for longer than fifteen minutes but I had to get home somehow. ''Where are you going?''-he asked.

''To the office.''-I say taking my jacket of the floor where I threw it.

''No. There is no way. Stay here.''-Simon said standing up. He got closer and closer until there was almost no space between us. I could smell his sweet liquor breath. He reached behind me and I froze, then I heard a click. He locked the door and turned around. I was still in my spot. Rocking a red face. I almost had wrong expectations...almost.

''I can't really.''-I say. ''I bothered you too much anyway.''-I say. He was behind the kitchen counter making nose with plates.

''Well since you did bother me don't let it be for nothing.''-he said and motioned me with his hand to come in the kitchen. I hang my jacket on the endless hooks filled with cool jackets and head toward the kitchen. Actually he wasn't making noise with plates but with tea cups. He was making us tea from all kinds of healing apparently. ''Grab my phone please.''-he said. I came into the living room again and I felt like this is a private part of him that only I get to see. But that girl is still in the back of my mind and keeps me wondering how much of stuff like this with him do I share with her. I take his phone and bring it to Simon. He dials a number and after a few seconds I hear uncle Jay's voice.

''Hey bro. I got Aki with me tonight. Yeah she doesn't feel well. Pick her up in the morning. No, I don't care really.''-ouch. Don't care that I am there. Well what else is new. ''She doesn't need you. Okay see ya. Bye.''-he hung up and left the phone on the counter where he placed my cup of tea.

''How did you know I didn't need him?''-I ask. He an eyebrow.

''How did you know I was talking about you?''-he asks. Fair enough. ''Well did you need him?''-he asked after a few moments.

''Not really.''-I say.

''Then I was right.''-he said.

''Thank you.''-I say looking at my hands.

''Look at me.''-Simon said and I did look. ''Don't be afraid of looking me in the eyes, of opening up. What are you thanking me for this time?''-he asked.

''Everything.''-I say. ''I am just not used to someone taking care of me.''-I add.

''I can see that. That's sad.''-he said. I can feel myself wrapping in my defense mode again.

''Well I can damn well take care of my myself. I always had.''-I say. He didn't say anything. He reached into one of the drawers in the kitchen and took out a new pack of cigarettes, unopened, my brand.

''I am not really supposed to smoke. But I hide them here anyway.''-he said handing me a lighter. I open the pack and smell the fresh tobacco. I take one out and light it.

''Let's go outside. I feel bad for smoking in here.''-I say and he brushes pass me and goes to the balcony door. The air breeze was slightly cold. Not enough for me to be cold but just enough for my skin to be prickly. He bent down on his forearms to lean on the railing. I took a bold step closer to him. He looked at me. I took the cigarette straight from my lips and pressed it to his. He accepted it never taking his eyes of mine. My fingers slightly brushed his lips and I gasped. I thought he didn't hear it when he smiled suddenly.

''You're cute.''-he said exhaling the smoke.

''Cute?''-I ask glancing his way but I don't manage to look him in the eye.

''Mhm. You seem so tough sometimes it's impressive but sometimes all I gotta do is stare in your eyes and you are bright red. Sometimes you wanna fight me I can feel it but then you look at me like you want me. You're hot and cold and it's driving me crazy.''-he said. I wish the earth would swallow me whole. What to do now? You can't just hear like this and go 'oh, okay'.. ''Don't look for the right answer in your mind. Just say what you feel. I always get a feeling from you that you could say much more but you cut short every time.''-he says. I didn't even know he paid so much attention to me. How can a person I barely know notice such things about me that I don't even notice myself? ''I guess this is where it ends.''-Simon said suddenly.

''What does?''-I ask.

''Us. Sadly we didn't even begin yet. But your lack of movement toward me, I get it.''-he said and I don't know how I could just stood there frozen at his words. My heart was thumping and every nerve was working. This was too good to be true right? Am I dreaming of things I can never have. I know better than chasing a fantasy. ''Goodnight.''-Simon said and went inside.

''Goodnight.''-I whispered to the darkness.