The story behind everything

Waiting.

Jessica's perspective


"It was a really long time ago, ever since we were still in L.A., it just happened..." I said, wiping Taeyeon's eyes to free her from the tears. "But what happened? Tell me please." Taeyeon said, pleading for me to tell her what happened.
"It started exactly ten years ago, when Tiffany or Stephanie and I first met."


Los Angeles, California... Ten Years ago...

"Okay class, we have a new student from San Francisco." Mrs. Winters, our homeroom teacher said. "Please sit beside Miss Jung over there."
I continued gazing out the window, it's probably another American kid who'll sit beside me just to copy my notes and flaunt her blonde hair. The kid soon sat beside me, and I saw her long black hair and white pale complexion. She then faced me and I was greeted by a beautiful eyesmile and a pleasant smile.
"Hi I'm Stephanie, but you can call me Steph, cuz I'm more used to it... What's your name?" She offered her hand.
I stared at her hand for a short time then looked back at her smiling face and shook her outstretched hand.
"Jessica. My name is Jessica."

I sat in my usual table at lunch, together with my friends, BoA, Amber, Ailee, Bom, and Nicole, my closest cousin. We were all chatting about stuff... Until...
"Um.. Can I sit with you guys?"
We turned to the voice, it was Stephanie. She was holding her tray... BoA Unnie, being the eldest among us, smiled and said "Sure, come sit with us."
I looked at her, she smiled gratefully and sat beside Unnie. I continued eating as she introduced herself to the group.
"My name is Stephanie, but you can call me Steph if you want." She said, smiling. BoA Unnie looked pleased with her, and said. "I'm BoA... Yeah like the snake thingy. Nice to meet you."
"I'm Amber!" Amber chirped, hurriedly grabbing her hand and shaking it. "And you are really pretty by the way!"
"Don't mind her, she's being ridiculous again." Ailee said, rolling her eyes. "I'm Amy Lee, but yeah, you can call me Ailee since it's easier to pronounce."
"I'm Bom.." Bom Unnie said, munching on a pastry bun. "I'm in the same year as BoA, nice to meet you."
"I'm Nicole." Nicole said, smiling. "And I am the only normal one in the group." The others groaned and Stephanie giggled. I found her laugh amazing...
"Nope. Nope. I am normal too." BoA Unnie said, flicking Nicole's ear.
"Oh, um... Have you guys met?" Bom asked me... I nodded.
"Yah, Jung Soo Yeon, don't give her the cold shoulder alright?" Amber said, I rolled my eyes at our hyper maknae while Stephanie giggled.
"I think..." Stephanie says "We'll be getting along just fine."
My heart fluttered at that one statement.

I stood at the bus stop, my headsets on and my face in a daze. I just want to go home and sleep. I felt a tap on my shoulder, I turned and saw Stephanie smiling again.
I took off my headsets and said "Do you ever get tired of smiling?"
She laughed. "Smiling makes everything better, don't you think."
"I think sleep makes everything better, thanks." I muttered. She looked at me.
"Is this what your friends referred to as the "Ice Princess Treatment"?" 
"... I have no idea what you mean." I said.
"Hm, if this is how you treat me, there's no way I can't avoid wanting to talk to you more."
"Suit yourself Tiffany." I said.
"Hm? Tiffany?" She asks, raising one eyebrow.
"Yeah, starting now, I'll call you Tiffany, it's near your name after all, plus it's easier to pronounce, plus your smile is as bright as Tiffany and co.'s  jewelry so yeah." I said.
"I like it." She said. "Sica... I'll call you Sica." 
"... Sica... I like it." I smiled, she lit up as soon as she saw me smiling.
"See, smiling does make everything better. At least, in my opinion."
I looked at the cheerful girl in front of me, her pale skin glowing brighter than a diamond. I said. "Yes, it does."

Five years later... 
"Sica!!" Someone exclaimed, I turned to the voice and saw Tiffany, my best friend of five years, running towards me. 
I smiled as the approaching girl reached me, panting. "You shouldn't have run you idiot. You'll sweat heavily again." I nagged.
She smiled, a sight that I am used to. "But I'm excited to see you." She said.
I smiled as well. "Glad to see you too, Tif."
She smiled widely, and I heard my companion clear . I rolled my eyes an introduced her to Tiffany. "Krystal, I want you to meet Stephanie. But you can call her Steph or Tiffany if you want."
My sister smiled brightly "Nice to meet you, Tiffany Unnie."
"Likewise." The latter smiled, shaking my sister's outstretched hand.
I felt a knot twist inside my stomach.

When we reached home, all that Krystal would talk about was Tiffany. How beautiful she is and how talented she is. I smiled at my pretty sister, she liked Tiffany. But deep inside me, I wanted her to stop liking her. She is my best friend and...
She is my first love.

A year later...
"Happy Birthday to our beloved Ice Princess." BoA Unnie said. Everyone was there, BoA Unnie, Bom Unnie, Ailee, Nicole, Amber, even Krystal, and most especially, Tiffany.
"Thanks, you guys, this means everything to me." I said, sincerely. Everyone clapped.
"FINALLY, SHE IS SINCERE!" Amber said. Everyone laughed as they sipped on their Frappes.
They gave me presents, from BoA Unnie, a white Chiffon that goes well with the leather skirt Bom Unnie gave. Nicole gave me a bunch of gift certificates from my favorite salon, Amber gave me a new set of earphones. Ailee gave me a set of earrings, and lastly Tiffany gave me a sketchbook.
"I love your designs." She said, shyly. "I wanted you to design more outfits, and maybe... One day, when we become the owners of our business, we can merge our companies."
I teared up and hugged her. "Thanks, it means a lot to me."
"Anything for you, Sica." 
"Hey! Let's take a picture!" Nicole said
A few minutes later, we all went home. Tiffany walked us home and just as we were about to go inside... Krystal suddenly said. "Tiffany Unnie, can I tell you something?"
"Sure."
"I-I really..."
"Umm... Listen." I said. "I should leave you guys for a bit." Then I left the two for them to talk.
I went in my room and cried softly. Tiffany actually likes Krystal too, a lot actually. It hurts since I never even had a chance, but being her best friend, it's alright with me if she ends up with my sister, as long as they're both happy... I'll be fine.

A few weeks later...

"Unnie, guess what?" Tiffany and I are together now!" Krystal exclaimed, I smiled as she drags Tiffany along with her.
"That's good to hear, now why don't you go upstairs and change while Unnie talks to your girlfriend." I said, she obeyed and went upstairs.
"We're thirteen years old now, huh?" I said. "And you're dating my sister."
"Well, I love her, and by the time she turns eighteen, we'll get married."
"So soon."
She looked at me, I smiled. "Just don't forget about me."
"How can I?" She said. "Would you do the same?"
"Of course. I'll always remember you." I said.
"Oh, here." She said, handing me a picture.
I looked at it, it was the picture that was captured on my birthday. I smiled at the memory.
"You'll be going to Florida for some time, I wanted to give you something, you know..."
I looked at the inscription on the back...

"To: Sica
We'll always be together right? You and me and the others?
Remember, you'll always be my best friend...
No matter what.
So before you go, always remember...
I'll be waiting.
-Steph"

 

I smiled and hugged her.
"Thanks Tif, for everything."
"Anything for you."
If only she can love me the same way she loved her.

Two years later...
There was a disagreement between the two. I can't bear to see my sister cry... But Tiffany...
"What happened?" I asked.
"She started kissing me, then slipped a hand under my shirt." She said. "I told her that she was too young, and that's when she got angry."
"Listen, I'll go talk to her, alright? Just don't break up please, I can't bear to see you guys unhappy."
"Alright." Tiffany said on the other line. We soon hung up and I went to my sister's room...
"Unnie."
"I've talked to her, don't worry... Everything will be alright."
"It's all my fault, I shouldn't have done that..."
"You've been together for two years... And you guys love each other, it will be alright."
But... I don't know anymore.

"You should fight for her." BoA Unnie said, sipping on her frappe. "Use this moment to go and win her."
"That's absurd." I said. "My sister loves her... My love is useless."
"It's not."  She replied. "Just tell her everything... And who knows?"
"Wh-what about Krystal? Sh-she'll get angry at me, and I can't do that."
"You'll just tell her. And besides, Amber's here and she likes your sister."
I thought about what she said, would I still have a chance?
Can I still have her...

A week later..

I know I'm becoming selfish... It's been weeks since they've been away from each other...
Tiffany was on cleanup duty today so I decided to go to the classroom and check up on her...
And tell her everything.
I opened the door and saw her in the arms of a guy, apparently making out.
I was surprised. "What the hell is going on?!" I yelled. The guy hurriedly left.
"Jessica, I can explain-"
I hurriedly came near her and slapped her face.
"Explain what? How you can just toy with other people's emotions? My sister loved you, heaven's sake."
"It was just an accident."
"So being in the arms of another guy and making out is an accident? Don't play dumb with me."
"Jessica please."
"Not only did you play with my sister's emotions, but you destroyed mine as well. I trusted you."
"Jessica, look-"
"No, you look, for nine years, We've been friends, and I've decided to trust you in every way I can, and I even let you date my sister... And now, you've destroyed my trust... Because my sister isn't the only one who loved you..."
I walked to the door and just before I left the room, I started tearing up and I said. "What hurts me the most is that I loved you as well."
I left the room and ran...

"Miss Jessica." The maid said, knocking the door. "Someone is here to see you."
"I'll be there in a moment." I said, standing up from my desk filled with business proposals and going out.
I saw Krystal running towards me. "It's Tiffany. She's come back." She said happily.
"Krystal, stay in your room."
"But Jess-"
"Go on and stay in your room, I'll talk to her first."
Her face fell, but she immediately obeyed, I went downstairs to the sitting room and saw her there.
"Sica, Please, let me explain."
"There's nothing to explain, sit." I said coldly.
We sat down and the maid served us tea.
"What do you want?"
"Listen, I want to make amends with Krystal, and with you."
"After cheating on her? Be thankful I haven't told her anything yet."
"Please Jessica, if you can just listen to me, he did that, it wasn't me."
I glared at her. "I refuse to hear anything else. I might forgive you, but stay away from my sister."
She looked at me, pleadingly.
"I'm giving you a chance to start over, but I don't want my sister to be involved with you anymore, for your sake, and hers."
"But what about you?" She asked.
"I do love you, I still do. But I can't..."
I turned my back against her and said.
"You should go now, Stephanie."

A few months later...

"Korea?" Krystal asked, excited.
"Yeah, to uh.. Keep your mind off the stress here in L.A."
"But what about our studies?"
"We'll continue it there... We'll be living there after all."
Her face fell, I caressed her cheek and comforted her. 
"Krystal, you'll be alright."
"But..."
I smiled. "We'll be staying there for a long time, you'll be fine."
She smiled...
It has been months since they've called their relationship off, it hurts to see my sister cry, but seeing her with someone who hurt her severely, hurts more.
 
Four days later..

"You're leaving?" Tiffany asks. We met up at the park, just for us to talk again, we always do this now, every Friday of the week, we'll meet up at the park, finding whatever solace we can find from each other...
"Yeah."
"Korea is far away..."
"You'll live, you'll survive without me." I said, smiling.
There was an awkward silence that followed her words. We sat and ate our ice cream as she teared up.
"Jess, I can never live without you."
"I know, but it's time for us to part ways."
"Jess please..."
"I know, it hurts. But it's not just for Krystal... Or me, but it's for your own good as well."
She wiped her tears and looked at me...
"The mistake you did can never be undone, understand that. But if you start over, if you create a new chapter, that mistake will fade. I want you to have another chance, go and find someone new, graduate and live your life." I said.
She hugged me and cried.
"I'm so stupid, I know I am. I've hurt you both and I'm sorry."
"I might've not forgiven you fully, but... You'll be here right?"
"I always will." She said. "I'll always be waiting..."
And without a word, I kissed the forehead of my best friend, a sign of farewell. 
"If we see each other again, I don't want you to hurt anyone, ever."
"I promise..."

Two years later... Seoul, South Korea.

I stared at the picture, BoA Unnie, Bom Unnie, Nicole, Ailee and Amber all moved to Korea a year ago. I was happy but they were in another school.
I looked at the Emo looking girl across my seat, even in the darkness she shines brighter than anyone else in this room. She was beautiful, she is Kim Taeyeon.
The cafeteria was full, it was the start of another year. But I suddenly see someone...
Someone brighter, standing out from the crowd around us.
She approached Taeyeon and sat beside her, I widened my eyes... She was unmistakably familiar, but a few seconds later, I finally recognized her...
It was Tiffany.