Human

Human

 

It was raining. Not a small, gentle rain. It was a violent, windy rain. It was a storm to be more precise. It was the weather Sunggyu loved after a hard day of work. He was counting the hours to go back to his small, cozy apartment. Not that he didn't liked he job, because he did, and he liked it a lot. He loved to teach those men and women about literature, he loved to teach them the meaning behind those words, what took the author to write all those pages. He knew maybe half of his class didn't care about his passion or about some dead author, but he didn't care. He loved to talk about it over and over again. It was like he re-discovered each book every time he talked about it, and there was no such thing that brought him bigger satisfaction. And no matter how many times he talked about it to his students, he still found enjoyment to go home and read all those big books and drink a nice cup of coffee while doing so.

 

His friends called him a loner, more than once. They would say he needed to find a life beyond work and books, that he needed to find someone to be with before he got too old and no one would want him. Dongwoo, his oldest friend, would always try to take him out of the house. More than once he told him to go to his club, to release some stress, to get drunk at least once in his life, but instead Sunggyu would smile to him and say he just wanted to stay home and read. It was what made him happy. Peace and quiet, not some loud, generic song that made people dance really close together. Sunggyu hated when people touched him too much. He was fine with a hug or a small touch, but long touches were something that he hated. It made him uncomfortable and he didn't know how to deal with things like that. He usually would push away. He hated it. It was like someone was invading his personal space and he couldn't even breath. His parents always thought it was funny and would hold him tightly and embarrass him, since he was a little boy.

 

One day you'll lose your looks and your figure!” Sunggyu thought about Hoya's words. Hoya was his most recent friend, and to be honest they just became friends because the young man was dating Dongwoo, because if he wasn't, Sunggyu would never chose the man to be his friend. But he had to admit, Hoya and Dongwoo were a perfect match. They completed each other. While they could be loud and noisy, they were shy and composed at the same time. “You'll die alone if you keep this up. You need to find someone like I found Hoya.” Every time Dongwoo spoke about Hoya his eyes would sparkle and he would be wearing the most bright, beautiful smile known to mankind. Sunggyu doesn't really remember how those two met. It was probably on Dongwoo's club. His friend liked when dance schools made small competitions there and Hoya was a star on his. So maybe they met like that. Sunggyu didn't know, he just knew that after 2days of knowing each other they were already confessing and making plans for the future. And that was 5years ago. It made no sense how those two got together and how they continued looking at each other like it was the first time ever, but that was what love was, at least, it was how Sunggyu's books described it.

 

Don't get him wrong. Sunggyu wasn't a 30 year old . Far from it. He had his share of girlfriends back in high school, but he didn't love them. He was just found of them, but his relationships never lasted more than 3months. The girls would call him cold, mean and would say he didn't cared at all about them, and in a way it was true. He didn't. He cared more about his books than about them. When he was with them, all he thought was how easy it was to have . It was the only positive thing he had to say about all those girls, and he was pretty sure they never loved him either. He was a good looking guy, and just by that, no matter how weird he was, it made him popular in school, so all those girls wanted was status. And that's what he gave to all of them. Dongwoo would say it was wrong, that he shouldn't do that to people, specially to girls since they were in an age that everything made them depressed or suicidal. Sunggyu would just smile to his friend and tell him he was just doing what they wanted. Thankfully Dongwoo learned how to ignore his friend's thoughts, because if he didn't, they wouldn't be friends for so long.

 

He woke up from his memories when he saw a lightening. It was something he liked. It was something that he loved to see. It reminded him of his novels. Every time a storm like that happened it meant the hero in the story would have a twist that would change the rest of the book. Since he was little he would spend hours if he had to, admiring the rain, loving every drop, loving how the water would hit the windows and slowly run down. Again, he knew it was a weird thing, but he didn't cared. He could be an adult, but he still liked to live in his own little world. It was just for a little bit, but it made him happy. He would see life black and white, all the time, but when he was reading his books his life would become so colorful.

 

Taking a small sip of his coffee, Sunggyu walked towards his couch and grabbed his laptop. His Nell cd was playing loud and clear for everyone to hear, and he started looking at his screen. It was time for him to correct some papers his students made. He wanted the students to write their honest opinions on what life, but he didn't had to read what half wrote to know that they didn't care about what the teacher had asked them to do, even if it counted half of their grade. Sunggyu wasn't dumb, on the contrary. He knew exactly what his students thought of him. Some thought he was just a pretty face with many philosophies, others took him serious, and others just assumed he got the job in such a high position for sleeping with many powerful people. He didn't care. They could all come up with stupid rumors but he knew he was there because he deserved it and because he was intelligent, maybe more than the average person. The only difference between him and his students was that he didn't like to show off every time he proved he was better than the others.

 

He continued looking to the papers and while he sometimes he started laughing with the stupid things some wrote, he felt like crying of despair because of others. “Life ...” he read from one. Had he taught them nothing? Hadn't he taught them that life was more meaningful that what they thought it was? Hadn't he taught them that words could, in reality, express exactly what they were feeling, no matter if it was good or bad? “I'm just doing this thing because you told me!” Really? He couldn't believe someone actually wrote a thing like that. It was beyond stupid and he could swear he was going to have a heart attack if he kept reading such abominations. Not even one student bothered to write a decent paper. He would be happy with one page. One line! It was all he wanted to prove to himself he wasn't wasting his time with those students. He wanted a proof, it was all he wanted.

 

“Am I wasting my time as a teacher?” Sunggyu asked himself. He loved what he did, he really did. He loved the thought of being able to share a little of his passion with other people but it seemed the more he tried, the worst it got. Maybe his students just thought he was too boring, too plain? But he liked peace and quiet, he liked his books, he liked his boring routine and above all he liked to be alone. His apartment was just like him. Organized. Everything was in the right place, everything was the way it should be and he wasn't going to change who he was. He tried that once and he felt like dying. So what if people didn't liked him for what he was? Do what if Dongwoo was right? What if he died alone? He didn't care. At least, he knew he would die doing what he loved the most, and it was all he cared about.

 

Taking a deep breath, he took another sip of his coffee. “Bum!” it was heard. He ignored it but then heard it again. He tried to ignore the noise and made the song blast even more, but it seemed the more he did, the louder the knocks at his door got. Rolling his eyes, he got up from his comfortable chair and walked towards the door. If it was one of his neighbors saying his music too loud, he would close it as fast as he opened it. Or maybe it was his landlady. If she was going to say he was paying less than he should for the rent, she would have a problem. He already payed a fortune, he wasn't going to pay more. “Yes Mrs. Cho?” He asked but when he looked straight to the person in front of him, his eyes opened widely. He wasn't expecting this. A man was there. A wet to the bone man who was having a hard time breathing and keeping his eyes open. “I....need...help...” The man whispered before he collapsed, right on Sunggyu's arms.

 

“Hey! Wake up!” Sunggyu said, giving small slaps on the man's face, but the man didn't move at all. He couldn't help but freak out. What was happening? Did a man just collapsed in his arms? Who was this man? He felt the man move a little and opened his eyes. They were blood-shot and the man had dark circles under them. “...help me....” Sunggyu was still in shock and that weak, shacking voice wasn't helping at all. He wanted to know at least this man's name. And more importantly, what was he doing there?