so close yet so far

taeten moments

1021 words

 

 

 

-----

 

 

 

“I miss you, hyung,” Ten whines. He pouted, pulling his blanket closer even if it’s 30 or so degrees outside.

 

The Thai male lied on his stomach on the huge bed, his laptop situated in front of him, and his legs swinging behind him. He looked like a love struck teenage girl talking to her boyfriend. While Taeyong’s sitting on the bed.

 

The Taeyong in his laptop screen smiled sadly at him. “I miss you, too, baby,” he replies.

 

“Seriously, you guys were together less than a day ago,” Doyoung retorts in the background. Their friends are celebrating Christmas day lounging and eating all the food in their apartment just like they always do every year.

 

Their sassy friend is right. They were together a few hours ago, but Ten can’t help it. He’s 3,720 kilometers away from Taeyong. They can’t even be a few meters away from each other without missing the other. He can and does miss the older who’s in Seoul. He’s in Bangkok, spending the holidays with his family. He loves his family dearly, but Taeyong. He pouted as he thought of his boyfriend.

 

“Shut up,” Tern complains then hits him with a pillow.

 

Ten took the same pillow and threw it at his sister’s face. “You shut up,” he fires back.

 

The younger of the two, stuck her tongue out at her brother. Tern hit him with a pillow again then ran away.

 

“I can’t believe your boyfriend can handle a brat like you!” Ten yells after her.

 

“He’s not my boyfriend!” Tern yells back.

 

“Sure, he isn’t. Just like Taeyong isn’t mine, either!” the older sibling quips.

 

He looked back at the laptop screen, the scowl on his face replaced by a smile. Taeyong was laughing at the bickering siblings. Tern visited Seoul two summers ago. He stayed with his brother and they bickered all day long. Taeyong couldn’t understand what they were saying to each other, but it was still amusing to witness.

 

“Was that Tern?” the older asked. “What were you bickering about this time?”

 

“Yeah,” Ten grumbled. “Usual siblings stuff. I was teasing her about her boyfriend. Can you believe that he actually liked that annoying kid?”

 

Taeyong can hear a slight edge in his voice, his protective brother streak showing. The younger bullies his sister a lot, but he loves her and would kill anyone who hurts her. Just like how Taeyong is with his noona.

 

“She isn’t a kid anymore, Ten. She can date whoever she wants,” Taeyong said.

 

“She will always be the baby in our family and that won’t ever change,” Ten huffed.

 

Just then, his mother walked into his bedroom. The woman sat on his bed, making the bed dip. Ten looked at the edge of his bed and saw his mother.

 

“I heard yelling. Are you and Tern fighting again?” the woman chided playfully.

 

“She started it,” Ten whined.

 

“Is that Taeyongie?” she asked, her eyes shining. She looked at the laptop screen and beamed when she saw her son’s handsome beautiful. Taeyong greeted her with a cheerful “hello”. “Taeyongie is still as handsome as ever, isn’t he? Ask him when he’ll visit again,” his mom urged him, shaking his shoulder in the process.

 

“My mom said you’re handsome and wanted me to ask you when you’ll be visiting again. Please, don’t visit again. The last time you visited, she almost head a heart attack as soon as she saw you,” Ten pleaded.

 

Taeyong thanked her with a big grin. “Tell her that I’ll be visiting again soon,” the older said.

 

“What am I, an interpreter?”Ten rolled his eyes.

 

“Don’t get sassy with me, kid,” the older scolded.

 

“Fine,” he sighed. “Taeyong said he’ll be visiting again, but he’s not sure when.”

 

“Tell him to visit soon so we can discuss the wedding details. The ceremony will definitely be held here,” his mother rambled.

 

“Mom! What are you talking about? We aren’t even engaged, yet,” Ten said exasperatedly.

 

“Then what do you call that ring on your finger?” the older woman retorted.

 

Ten looked at his finger and saw the promise ring that Taeyong gave him a few days ago. His cheeks flushed when he remembers what happened after that.

 

“It’s a promise ring, mom. It’s not an engagement ring,” the young male explained.

 

“Well, it might as well be. Just tell him to visit soon, so we can talk.”

 

“Hyung, mom said you should visit soon, so you could talk,” Ten said, sighing. “She thought this was an engagement ring!” He pointed at the ring on his finger to emphasize his point.

 

“Soon, mom,” Taeyong said from the other side of the screen. His Thai boyfriend taught him basic Thai words and it seems like someone still remembers a few words. “Baby, can you hold on for one second? I have to do something really important.”

 

Ten’s smile faltered. “Yeah, okay,” he replied dejectedly.

 

Taeyong stood up from the bed, taking his phone with him, then started walking. Ten has no idea where he’s going, but he watched as the older walked. Then he stopped. He can hear some shuffling from the background and Doyoung whispering something to Taeyong.

 

“Babe, can you please get out of your room and come down the living room?” his boyfriend asked.

 

The younger furrowed his brows. He didn’t ask why and just did what he was told. He brought his laptop with him as he walked out of his room, his mom following closely behind him. When he reached the steps, he saw a familiar back facing him. The man had brown hair and stood with confidence. He had his head down, but Ten would recognize his boyfriend anywhere.

 

“Hyung?” he asked uncertainly. Was he hallucinating?

 

The man standing by the stairs turned to face him. Taeyong smiled when he saw Ten. The latter’s mom tapped his shoulder then took his laptop from him. The younger walked down the steps until he was at the last one. His boyfriend got down on one knee before him.

 

“Ten, baby, will you, please, spend the rest of your life with me?”

 

 

 

 

-----

 

the bold letters means they're talking in thai 

so.... what do you think ten's answer is?