CHAPTER 6

Walking With You

EXO-XOXO (Korean Ver)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

                She put two bowls of rice onto the table. Yerin lifted her head as her room door was opened, revealing the guy in her t-shirt. His hair was still damp from shower.

“Good morning” she smiled. He avoided her eye contact. “Good morning”     

“Let’s eat. Before the soup get cold” Yeri took a seat.

                The guy suddenly knelt before her with his head facing the ground. She gasped in surprise.

“I’m sorry for last night” his voice trembled. “I-I didn’t mean to. I-I just”

“Nah. It’s okay. I know you didn’t mean to break into my house too” she smiled. He lifted his head. “Let’s just forget about it, okay?” she held out her hand. He took it and sat beside her.

“Eat up!” Yerin started to eat while he just stared at the food. “Come on. Don’t be shy”

                The guy bit his lips and slowly picked up the chopstick. 

“How do you know?” he started. “That I didn’t mean to break into your house”

“Oh that’s simple. First, I was too dizzy last night that I forgot to lock my front door. You didn’t even break into my house but it’s my fault that I forgot to lock the door. Second, I have the feeling that you’re forced to do this by someone. Maybe this is your first time breaking into someone’s house. As a thief, you move too slowly. Like last night. A pro thief always stay focus and fast in his action. But it seems that something distracted you last night”

“Oh. About that-“

                Yerin’s phone suddenly rang. “Excuse me” she went to her room. The guy remembered her drawing and glanced at the coffee table. The sketch book was nowhere to be seen. *Maybe she put it away*

                Yerin came back to the dining table and put her phone beside her.

“You’re not going to report me to the police right?” the guy asked. “Police? No” she replied. “You didn’t mean harm me at all. Why should I make a report?”

                He continued to play with the rice in his bowl.

“Aigo!” Yerin took some egg roll and put it on top of his rice. “Eat up. You’re too skinny”

“Nae” he started to eat. A small smile formed on his lips as he tasted her cook.

“By the way, my name is Yerin” she introduced herself. “I’m-“ the guy was about to reply when her phone rang again.

                She rolled her eyes and answered it lazily, knowing the person who called her.

“Yah, Yerin!” V shouted from the other line. “Yah!” her shout startled the guy. She mouthed ‘sorry’ to him. “You dare shout at me again and I’ll-“ “You should have tell me if you’re unwell!” She paused. “Irene called me just now and told me”

*Seriously Irene is going to tell the whole world that I’m sick. It’s only fever though* Yerin though Irene was absurd.

“Yerin-ah” V voice soften. “You should have told me. I would-“

“Run to me and get all worried? It’s just small fever. I’ll get on my toes again tomorrow, Taehyung”

                The guy was stunned. He froze and stared at a place. *Taehyung?*

“Nae, ahjumma” Yerin smiled. “Bye”

                Yerin turned to the guy again.

“I’m sorry” she voiced and made him came back to sense. “Let me refill your soup” she took his almost empty bowl and went to the kitchen.

“What’s your name again?” she asked. “It’s Jeon Jungkook” he replied.

“It’s looks like you’re already late for your school today” she put the bowl beside him. “Thank you. Well, I graduated last year” “Oh, I’m three years older than you then”

                Jungkook sat again at the dining table after he took another bowl of rice from the kitchen. Yerin chuckled. “You sure eat a lot”

“I’m sorry. But I’m really starving” “Nah it’s fine. Just enjoy yourself”

                He stared around the house. There was no sight of photo frame. There was a mural of two gigantic dandelion on the wall behind Yerin. He stared at it while biting on his chopstick. She followed his gaze.

“I drew it when I first move in” “Don’t your parents angry for doing so on the wall?” “No”

“Didn’t your parents come visit you here?” “Well” Yerin bit her lips. “They’re no longer around”

                He was silent for a while, regretting what he just spoke. “I’m sorry for asking”

“Nah. It’s okay. You’re just curious right? It was years ago. But I still have another family member around” she looked at him. Jungkook looked at her. “My older brother” she replied. “Where is him?” Yerin shrugged. “I don’t know”

“What do you mean by that?” “I got separated from him when I was 5. My family got into a car accident that took away my parents. During the accident, I probably thrown out the car quite far from the accident scene. I was found days later. I stayed with my aunt for a day after I discharged from the hospital. I know she hates me. No.. I don’t think any of my relatives ever love and acknowledge my family. That’s why she forced me to go to an orphanage far from my house in the other province. I guess they did the same to my brother too. Sent him far from our house and me. All of them are-“

“Abandoning you two” he continued. “Yes” “But why? What’s the point of it?” “I remembered my omma told me all of them are just jealous of my family. Because my father own most shares in my late grandfather’s company. And my late grandfather inherited most of his assets to me” “So you’re going to claim all of it one day?” “No. I don’t really care about the fortune. Neither did my parents. And I know the assets were already taken by my relatives” “How do you know?” “That” Yerin nodded to the TV that showed news.

“The young successor of HC Group, Lee Youngjae’s effort for 5 years had made the company’s hotel ‘Mariana’ to reach top 10 of the most visited hotel in the world. It was the first time ever for this 5-star hotel to enter the top 10 list ever since it was open and was the first underwater hotel ever exist in this country”

                Jungkook’s mouth agaped after heard the news. “HC Group belong to your family?!”

“Yes” she still watched the young man in the TV. “That is my cousin. Well, I don’t care about getting my assets snatched. If they want to have it so badly, they can take it. But they better take good care of it or I’ll hunt them down. I had to admit Youngjae did a good job this time though” she nodded to herself.

“You mean you just let them take HC Group?!” “Yeah. I know it’s a huge and rich company. But” she looked to her bowl and played with the rice. “Money can’t always make someone happy. I mean I rather have a happy life without too much money than being busy all day at offices with stress and things”

                Jungkook was silent again.

“So you’re next” she looked at him. “You seems to be too stress last night. Care to share your story with me?”

“Oh” he was silent again. He took a deep breath and continued. “My mother is in the hospital. And so I need some money. That’s not the biggest problem though. My father died years ago and left us with a little fortune to live with. I have friends who said I can earn loads of money fast and they introduced me to this one group of older guys. They had been rob to live. I never knew they had been rob or I’ll never agree to join that group. And so now I was forced to rob and steal for them”

                There was a silent moment. Yerin stared at him.

“That’s so cruel of them” she voiced.

“Yeah” he stood and went to the sink in the kitchen to do the dish.

*             *             *

                Yerin put the food container in a paper bag. She brought it to the living room. Jungkook was staring at the pieces of outdated newspaper scattered on the coffee table.

“You had been searching for your brother” he picked up a piece. “For years. I don’t even know if I can even find him” she plastered a smile to him. “You will. One day” Jungkook put it back and stood. She held the food to him and he gave her a ‘what-is-this’ look.

“Have it with your omma later” “You have helped me a lot. Though I tried to rob you. Why is that?” “You sure are a smart kid. Always curious about everything. Let’s just say I’ve been your shoes. But you should stay alive, okay?”

                He bit his lips and nodded. Probably holding his tears from falling.

“Thank you very much” he bowed. “You’re welcome, Jungkook” Yerin smiled and led him to the door.
“Bye” he stopped in front of the door. “No. Let me accompany you down” “It’s okay. You aren’t really well after all” Yerin smiled, touched by his remarks.

“Don’t forget to lock the door again” he avoided her eye contact again. “Nae”

                Yerin watched as he walked along the hallway.

*             *             *

                Yerin was about to fall asleep as she watched TV when there was knocks on the door.

“Coming” she rushed there. “Seunghwan oppa!”