CHAPTER 18

Walking With You

                Yerin was waiting in a restaurant. She glanced at her watch and looked around.

“They didn’t forget to come, right?”

                Her eyes caught silhouettes entered the restaurant. The two people walked to her. Yerin stood and bowed.

“Good evening, Aunty and Uncle”

“Hello, Yerin. We haven’t meet in a while” V’s mother hugged her. “Of course” Yerin smiled and they broke the hug. *I think we just met last week at the market* “Please, sit”

                V’s parents sat across him. Yerin quickly ordered two cups of coffee for them.

“We’re sorry for turning up late. There was traffic” Mrs. Kim voiced. “Have you waiting us for a long time?”

“No. Not really” Yerin replied. “Thank you for making your time for me”

“So what is it that you want to talk about?” Mr. Kim asked.

“Well” her iris quivered as she was nervous. The waiter came and served the coffees. Yerin cleared to speak again. “I’m not trying to interfere with your marriage but” she lifted her gaze to them.

“Last week Taehyung tried to take his own life”

“He did what?!” Mrs. Kim was extremely shocked. Her heart shattered upon hearing the news. “Uncle and Aunty, I’m not lying here. Taehyung really did that. I’m just arrived in time before he could jump off into the ocean” “But why did he do that?! Don’t tell me-”

“Because we decided to divorce” Mr. Kim glanced at his wife and to Yerin. “Am I right?”

“He said he couldn’t live in a world without either one of you. He need both of you with him” Yerin paused. “I had been thinking about this all this while. I thought I wouldn’t mention about his suicide attempt to you ever because you would be mad at him. But this situation now forced me to tell you about it. As time pass by, Taehyung seems to suffer more. You may not see him suffer because he had been smiling like senile child all the time but I see his gloomy face almost every day. As a friend, I don’t want to see him so down. And I don’t want him to try to kill himself again. I don’t want to lose him. Neither of us want to lose him”

“So please” Yerin lowered her head. “Yerin” Mrs. Kim called. “Can you think again about your decision?” she bit her lips. She swallowed past the lump in .

                Both Mr. and Mrs. Kim exchanged glances. Mr. Kim sighed.

“You know” he began. Both Yerin and Mrs. Kim turned to him. He bit his lips and his eyes went to his wife.

“I think for the sake of Taehyung, we should think again about our decision” he said. “Like Yerin said”

“I never know he had done that” he turned to Yerin. “I thought he’d be fine if we separated. I’m a bad father. I should know how my son feel but all I do is forcing him to agree with our decision. I should have ask his opinion on this matter. But I guess” he glanced at his wife. “Both of us are being self-centered. All that matter to us is our own happiness but we forgot about Taehyung’s happiness”

“I hope” his hand reached out to Mrs. Kim’s hand. He entwined their fingers. He looked deep into her eyes. “We can reconsider our decision. And be good parents to Taehyung to the end of our lives”

                Mrs. Kim paused for a while and heaved a sigh.

“Maybe we should”

                At the words, a small smile appeared on Yerin’s face.

“Thank you, uncle and aunty” she bowed.

*             *             *

                Yerin took a seat at one of the tables at the street food tent after finished coffees with V’s parents.

“Let’s eat” she started to enjoy the skewers she chose earlier. “You’re here again, Yerin-ssi?” RapMon came to her. She smiled. “Hi, Namjoon-ssi”

“Want me to get you anything?” “Can I have more skewers?”

“Coming up” he went to take more skewers. “Here” he held the plate to her. He sat across her.

“You had come here every single day since last week” he said. “I love the food here” Yerin replied while munching. “Namjoon-ssi, you said you want to continue your story about how you end up here”

“Oh right. About that. Well, since I had been moving after I graduated, I don’t own many things. Just like what you saw in my house” “So you rent that place too?” “Yes” “So you’re going to move to other cities one day?” “I should but” he paused. “Just like I said. This time I decided to stay here longer”

“Just a hunch?” “Yes” he chuckled. “Looks like you can now tell what’s in my mind”

“So where have you been?” he asked. “Out with your boyfriend?”

“No. I met my friend’s parents. Something came up you see. Last week, this friend of mine” she started to tell him about V and her meeting with his parents. “Your friend have a serious problem there. You should just stay beside with him all the time for the time being” RapMon replied and shook his head. “Kids these days”

“Tsk. You’re not that old yourself” she replied and her phone rang. She rejected the call from Seunghwan. “It’s your boyfriend right?” “Yeah” “Why didn’t you pick it up?” “I’m not in the mood to talk with anyone” she smiled.

“I guess you had been smiling to hide your true feelings” RapMon took one of her skewers and ate it. “You got me” she replied. “I’m worry. What if my friend’s parents divorce for real?”

“You tried your best, Yerin. Don’t let such thought bothers you”

                Her phone rang again. She sighed and rolled her eyes before looking at the caller’s ID. Yerin answered it.

“Your cousin is here” V voiced through the line. “WHAT?! Why?! Where?!” “At the café of course. Where else could I be at this hour. Come here! Palli!” “Alright I’m coming” she kept her phone.

                Yerin stood.

“I need to go, Namjoon-ssi” she quickly took her bag. “Okay. See you later” RapMon waved. “Sure” “Be careful” “Nae” she rushed out from the food tent.

*             *             *

                Yerin doubled over as she arrived in front of the café. It’s only a few minutes before the café was closed.

“Jeongmin oppa” she entered the café. “Yerin-ah” Jeongmin who was sitting at the table near the counter turned to her. He stood. “What are you doing here?” she stood in front of him. “I need to catch my flight to Paris in an hour but I want to give you this before heading there” he held a brand new badminton bag to her. “Whoa!” she exclaimed and took it. Her eyes were wide with the surprise. She took out two branded racquets from the bag. “Wow!” she scanned every inch of the racquets and amazed with its beauty. “It’s for you. You like badminton, right?” Jeongmin smiled. “Really, oppa?” “Of course. I saw your racquet the other day. It’s too old”

                Yerin kept the racquets and put the bag on the chair.

“Thank you so much, Jeongmin oppa” she bowed. “You’re welcome” he ruffled her head. V just glared at them from the counter. “Now if you excuse me. I need to head to the airport” Jeongmin picked up his phone. “Wait!” Yerin quickly took her scarf from her bag. She wore it around his neck. “Have a safe flight, oppa”

“Of course, Yerin” Jeongmin embraced her for a sec. V had his fist clenched tightly in jealousy. “See you later” Jeongmin walked to the door and waved at her. “See you” Yerin waved back. He entered the black luxurious car in front of the café before his driver drove away.

                Yerin turned back to the bag. She smiled alone.

“I’m sure you’re delighted” V came to clean the table. “You kidding me? Of course!” she replied, still keeping her eyes glued to the bag. V rolled his eyes, annoyed with what Jeongmin did to Yerin. He put the rag away. “He’s out last customer. Let me send you home, Yerin”

“Alright. Let’s clean the café first” Yerin joined V to clean the café since V alone had to work overtime that night.

“Let me get the rubbish out” V told Yerin who was arranging the chairs onto the tables. She nodded.

                A moment later, the café’s bell rang.