CHAPTER 24

Walking With You

                Yerin was walking with Irene beside her and V behind them. The three were on the bridge, beside the road.

“I wish we have your car right now” V complained. “I know. I’m taking it from the workshop in two days. Sorry that we have to walk home after hours of playing badminton” Irene replied. “Nah it’s fine” Yerin fixed the badminton bag hung on her shoulder.

“Hey” V slung his arms to them. “Let’s eat beef soup”

“Sounds good” Irene glanced to V. “But you treat”

                Yerin chuckled. “Great idea!”

“Geez. You girls are always doing this to me” V complained. The girls laughed and high fived each other.

                Yerin looked ahead. Her smile disappeared.

“Isn’t that” her finger was lifted, pointed to a guy who walked opposite them. “Hoseok-ssi?” 

                V and Irene followed her gaze. J-Hope’s steps were heavy against the hard-cemented pavement. His half-opened eyes stared at the blurry figures far in front of him. His heavy breathing could be heard. “Help” the word escaped his dry lips as he struggled to force more oxygen into his lungs. J-Hope suddenly flopped down onto the pavement, unconscious.

“Hoseok-ssi!” Yerin’s legs automatically sped to him with V and Irene following. “Hoseok-ssi!” she shook his body. “Hyung!” V did the same but he received no respond.

*             *             *

                J-Hope opened his eyes as light on the ceiling blinded him. His half-opened eyes were about to close again at the sound of beeping machines beside his white bed, lulled him to dreamland again. But he forced his eyes to stay open. *What happen? Where am I?*

                He saw Hojun, his father and his stepmother near his lying body. Their head was lowered to the ground. Tension filled the air, beside the smell of ethanol in the hospital.

*Everyone* he struggled to move his finger to get their attention.

                Hojun head snapped to J-Hope who was looking at him.

“Hyung!” he shot up. His parents turned to J-Hope.

“Omo! Hoseok!” Mrs. Jung ran to him. She hugged him tightly with tears fell down her exhausted face. “Thank goodness! You wake up!”

                J-Hope was stunted but he softened. A smile formed on his lips as he hugged her back. Mr. Jung smiled at the sight of them.

*             *             *

                Yerin, V and Jimin ran towards the door of a room at the end of the hallway. Mr. Jung closed the door as he exited the room.

“Hello, ahjusshi” Yerin bowed while panting. “How’s Hoseok-ssi?”

“You” Mr. Jung pointed to Jimin and V. His eyes were narrowed at them as he tried to remember their name. “You two are Hoseok’s school friends, right?”

“I’m Taehyung and this is Jimin” V introduced himself and Jimin. Both bowed. “Right” Mr. Jung smiled. “I thought I often see your faces years ago. Hoseok is alright. He’s inside”

                Mrs. Jung and Hojun exited the room.

“Hello” the three bowed. “Hello. Hoseok’s friends? Go in. He’s already awake” Mrs. Jung smiled. “Yerin noona” Hojun waved at her. She waved back.

“So what did the doctor said?” V asked. Both V and Yerin listened to J-Hope’s parents explanation. But not Jimin.

                Jimin held out his hand and grabbed the knob. He gulped.

*We haven’t see each other for years* he turned the knob and entered the room. *That’s him!*

                                He saw J-Hope lying on the bed with both eyes shut, lying on his side. Jimin arranged his steps towards him, nervously.

“Hoseok” Mr. Jung began to tell V and Yerin. “He’s overdose. He took sleeping pills. I never know about it” he sighed.

                Jimin’s steps stopped, leaving a shriek from his sneakers.

“Doctor said he’s going to be fine” Mr. Jung continued. “He just need some rest. And whatever that bother his mind. I hope he’s able to handle everything without stress”

                J-Hope opened his eyes. He smiled at the sight of his long-parted friend, Jimin.

“Park Jimin” he called. Jimin smiled.

                J Hope suddenly got up and grabbed his pillow before hitting Jimin with it.

“Hyung” Jimin grabbed the pillow and approached him. “I know you promised to do that to me when we meet again but you just wake up. Don’t move too much” he put the pillow back and pushed him to lay again.

“But you know what? We haven’t had pillow fight for years” J Hope complained. “I miss it”

“Yeah me too” Jimin sat near his legs.

                Yerin and V entered the room.

“Hyung, you okay?” he asked. “Sure. Thanks to you three for helping me when I fainted” J Hope smiled. “Oh Irene will come visit later”     

“This is for you” Yerin showed a small bouquet of red roses that she had been holding for a while. “Thank you. You’re so lovely” J Hope locked eyes with her and smile. She was stunted at his smile.

“I’ll put these in here” Yerin walked to the empty vase near the window. She started to arrange the roses as the boys were chatting. Yerin remembered her dream where J Hope plucked some red roses for her but it turned blue. She smiled. *This time I’m giving these red roses to you. And it won’t turn blue. So you shouldn’t be blue too, Hoseok-ssi*

                Yerin joined them.

“Mom will come here later and stay with me for the night” J Hope replied to V. “And you’re okay with it?” she asked. “I mean Hojun told me that you dislike him and his mother”

“So he told you” he chuckled. “That kid. Well, it’s all thanks to you, Yerin-ssi. If you didn’t shout to me the other day, I could become the same brat forever. While I was unconscious, I saw my late omma. She told me to accept reality. Though it hurts me a lot all this while. She said I should be grateful to have Hojun as my brother and his mother as my mother. Some people doesn’t even have family” At the sentence, V glanced to Yerin but she stay focused to J Hope. He continued “All this while, I only get to see omma in my sleep”

“So that explains why you take those sleeping pills” “Yes. I want to see her and run away from the ugly reality. From the step family. But I had been thinking. It doesn’t matter how long I’m running away from the reality, nothing could be change. I can only accept the changed around me and be mature. And at the same time, treasuring the memories from the past” his eyes sadden but his lips formed a smile. “Now, I have to be a good son to my stepmom and appa. Also a great big brother for Hojun. Just like you said, Yerin-ssi”

                Yerin smiled.

“It’s good that you realize now. You shouldn’t torture yourself from accepting the fact. Something is just not worth to be stress about. Simple things should be keep simple. And stop blaming yourself. You know it’s not your fault that you didn’t stop your father from remarry. It’s all fate”

“How do you know about it?” J Hope was surprised. Yerin smirked. “Your actions. That explains everything. Torturing yourself with pills and shutting yourself from the surrounding. You torture yourself by being alone”

“Alone?” Jimin chuckled, turned to J Hope. “You’ll never be alone, hyung. You have us”

                V nodded in agreement.

*             *             *

                Hojun laid onto his bed in his already dark room. He heaved a sigh. For some reason, he couldn’t close his eyes to sleep.

“I seriously though something bad would happen to hyung. It’s a relieve that he’s just fainted”

                He turned to his side.

“I should have thank him. He helped me earlier today”

-Flashback-

                Hojun ran towards Andante Café in panic.

“Yerin noona!” he banged in the locked door. The café was dark as it was closed. He glanced back. Voices of the bully could be heard nearby.

*I’M DEAD!*

                He ran into an alley only to meet a dead end.

“Yah Hojun!” one of the boy called. A group of boys from his class had already cornered him. Hojun shivered in fear and shut his eyes, expecting kicks and punches to plant onto his skin.

“What do you think you’re doing?!” a deep male voice could be heard. The group turned back to see a silhouette. “Piss off!” the voice demanded. The kids rushed away in horror at the voice like thunder.

                Hojun covered his head as a shadow fell over him, afraid that the silhouette might harm him.

“Yah”

                Hojun braved himself to look up, facing the silhouette. “Hoseok hyung!”

                J-Hope’s face was blank as he offered his shivering hand to him.

-End of flashback-

“I thought he was at home because of his fever. But how can he be there? I need to thank him later” Hojun closed his eyes and slept.

*             *             *

                Yerin stared at the scenery and felt the breeze blew as she was standing at the rooftop of the hospital one evening. The door to the rooftop was pushed open and took her attention.

“Yoongi-ssi” she smiled at him as he motioned to her. Suga gazed to the view Yerin was staring at just now. “Enjoying the view?”

“Uhuh” Yerin stared again at the skyscrapers around the hospital. “Isn’t this fun? Just staring ahead and not worrying about anything”

                Suga nodded. He stole a glance on her.

“So” he started nervously. She turned to him, expecting what he was going to say.