CHAPTER 32

Walking With You

                V caught up to Yerin who was walking ahead of him through the road of the neighborhood.

“You seriously going to ignore me this whole day?” he turned her to face him. He looked into her eyes.

“Yes” her lips were pressed thin and turned to the front again. He heaved “This is so hard”

                Yerin ran her view to the words scribbled on the notebook she was holding. The notebook she had been kept for years that hold every information she received from asking around at thousands of police stations she could think of about the unfortunate incident. She sighed. The date of the day was written on top corner of the page but a few words were scribbled on the thin sheet about the information.

“This is not helping!” she snorted. “But I know I shouldn’t give up”

“The police officer just now gave the same information you got from 2 years ago” V spoke. “I know” she sighed. “Let’s call it a day, Tae. I’m seriously not in the mood to collect more information” she rolled her eyes.

“Alright. Then can we have a date?”

Yerin turned to him. She lifted an eyebrow. “Are you trying to make up with me for ruining our date the other day or about your ex-girlfriend?” 

“Both” V slung arm with her. He gave her a smile. “Cheer up, Yerin! Let’s go have some fun!”

She sighed and replied his smile with a small smile. “Okay then. But I don’t want to go to movie because I went there with Yoongi oppa the other day”

“No worry. I know the best place we can go” V brought her to walk again.

 

                They arrived at the amusement park.

“We used to come here at night” she began. “It’s more lively in the day then weekday night”

“Uhuh. Let’s go” V took her hand and they went on the carousel. 

*             *             *

“Wait here for a while. I’ll grab some refreshment” V left Yerin who was sitting on the bench facing the pavement. She watched him until he was lost from her sight.

“Yerin?” a voice called that made her turn to the front, the direction the voice came from. “Hoseok oppa?” “Hi” J Hope waved. “Come sit here” she patted the empty space beside her.

                J Hope sat. “What you doing here?”

“I have a date with Taehyung” “Owh. He’s making up with you?” “Yes” “Why don’t you two just start seeing each other. You two are being jealous like girlfriend and boyfriend” “Aniya, oppa” He chuckled. “Where’s him? Taehyung” “He went to get something to drink. We’re thirsty from shouting when riding the roller coaster for 2 times in row” “2 times?! You two are crazy!” He chuckled.

“So what you doing here, oppa? On a date?” “Nah. I’m guarding Hojun. He’s on date” “Date?! Really?! Him?” her face lit up with excitement. “I cannot believe it! You kidding right?”

“No it’s true. At first, he against me when I said I want to accompany him on the date. But our parents insisted on sending me on guard. So here I am. Guarding those two from afar” “I’m so happy for him!” she clapped her hands. “He’s all grown up now”

“I know” he smiled. “Oh right!” he turned to her as he just remembered something. “Last night I went out with Taehyung. He said he wanted to look for our junior from school. Tae said you were robbed by that junior?” “It’s true” “You okay? You’re not hurt right?” “Thankfully Tae was there with me so I’m safe. It was awkward, you know. That kid about to rob me when Tae came. Then suddenly both of them know each other and the kid ran away. So did Tae tell him the real story?”

“Of course. That junior of ours was a bright kid. And a model student so I don’t get it when he did what he did. He told us last night that his family was in trouble. They were in need of money” “He should have work then. The store beside our café need employee” “I should inform him that then” “You have his number?” “Wait” J Hope took out his phone and nodded. “I have. I’ll text him later” he kept it again.

“You’re so lucky to have Taehyung back there. You really need a man by your side” he looked at her. “A man who can protect you always. That would be your Tae right?”

“Of course” she smiled. “We would die for each other”

                J Hope chuckled. “See? You said it yourself. You would die for him. You’re so in love with him, Yerin. Just go out you two”

“What the! Oppa” “No I’m serious. Maybe you’re just too comfortable with him as friend that you didn’t realize you actually love him as lover” She was silent. He did punch a few correct button.

                His phone rang and he answered it.

“Yes I’m still in the area. Don’t worry. You two just enjoy yourselves” J Hope replied his brother’s words with a smile. “I’m with your Yerin noona. Want to talk to her?”

“Here” J Hope gave the phone to Yerin. “Hello, Hojun” she called. “Noona. Hello” Hojun replied. He was obviously in the cloud nine. “You don’t tell me you have a girl” “Noona, don’t say that. It made me shy” She giggled. “Take care of her okay? Girls can be difficult to understand so be tolerance, okay?” “Nae, noona” “Alright enjoy your date” “You too, noona”

                She returned the phone to J Hope.

“See you later” he ended the call. “So” J Hope stood. “I’m continuing my shift. See you around”
 

“Alright, oppa” she smiled. “Wait” he buried his hand into the bag in his grip and took out a small pink hairpin with a star on it. “I saw some hair band at the booth so I bought some for my mother. And got one for free. Here” he curled her hair behind her ear. *The dream* she froze as the dream where J Hope did the same action went into her mind. J Hope slipped the pin into the hair.

“Owh that’s cute” he smiled. “Thank you, Hoseok oppa” she smiled shyly and touched the hairpin. They waved at each other and he left.

                V came out from his hiding place behind a tree trunk. His pout was visible and muttered under his breathe. “She’s really killing me by making me jealous”

“Taehyun” Yerin turned to him with a smile as he arrived at her. “Here” he held the drink without looking at her. He took a seat. “I met Hoseok oppa just now. And he gave me this” she showed the hairpin. “Really?” he showed no interest. “Tae” she pouted. “And he said you’re cute?” he turned to her. “I don’t like seeing other people compliment you. I’m the only who can do that”

“Omo! Our Taehyung is jealous” she giggled. “Tae, you’re grown up. Don’t tell me you’re jealous”

“Nah” he looked away. “I’m just upset”

                She giggled at his pouting face.

*             *             *

                The two were walking through around the amusement park, looking for any other ride to try. They stopped.

“I think we tried everything already” V spoke. “I guess so” she looked around at the rides around them.

                V stole glances at her. *Come on, Tae. You can do this! Confess now!* “Yerin” he called. She turned to face him. His palms were sweaty. “I-”

                A bear mascot suddenly appeared beside them that made both of them surprised. Yerin laughed at how surprised she was. The bear held out a red balloon to her.

“Thank you. That’s so kind of you” she took it. “Aigo cutie” V awkwardly patted the bear with a flustered smirk. “Let me take a picture of you two” she quickly took out her phone. V stood beside the big bear and posed while she snapped some pictures of them.

“Alright” she kept her phone in her bag. And accidentally the string slipped out from her hand. She gasped.

                But a hand grabbed on it before the balloon lost into the high air. Yerin looked up to see the bear who stood behind her and caught the balloon between its soft paw. It returned it to her. “Thank you” she replied. The dream came into her mind again.

                The bear mascot took off its head to reveal the person who wore the costume.

“Jungkook?!”

“Yerin noona” Jungkook smiled.

*             *             *

“I don’t know you work here” Yerin came to Jungkook who was sitting with V at a bench. A chill drink was in her grip. He held it out to him. Jungkook gulped it down.

“I work part-time here on weekend” he answered. V rolled his eyes.

“You two on date?” Jungkook asked. “Uhuh” she nodded. “Our date here just ended. We thought of heading somewhere else”

“Owh go on then. See you later. Thanks for the drink” he smiled and put the drink aside. He wore the bear head again. “You call that a rest?” she spoke. “That’s too short of break”

“I’m not paid to have a long break, noona” he replied. Jungkook the bear waved. Yerin giggled and caressed its head. “Fighting!”

                Jungkook make a fist too. He ruffled V on his head before ran away. “That kid!” V hissed and she smiled. “Come on. Let’s go” she took his hand.                  

              

 

 

 

                V’s gaze went down to his hand in hers. She held onto it tightly. He smiled at their entwined hands.

“You have anywhere to go in your mind?” Yerin glanced at him as they walked along the pavement of the park. He shook his head.

“So can we go there?” she pointed to a direction. V turned his head and chuckled. “You serious?” “Yes” she nodded eagerly.

 

 

 

“Come on Tae!” she squinted her eyes at the sun as she felt as if the breeze blew away her stress that had been accumulated lately. “Aye aye!” V pushed her as she sat on the swing. She laughed her heart out and he joined her.

 

“Just like in the olden days” she spoke as they stopped playing. She glanced at V who was sitting on the next swing beside hers in the silent playground. “I know” he smiled, eyes on the ground. “I miss that time”

“Me too. A lot” Yerin remembered about V and herself played with the swings in her dream. And she remembered how often the two played with the swings when they were little.

“We hang out a lot together” “For the past years. I’m glad that we bump into each other again” “Me too. Tae” Yerin turned to him. “Let’s have a trip again later. With your parents”

“Sure. But where do you want to go?” “I don’t know. Maybe not Japan. Because we had been there many times when we were little” “Maybe somewhere far from here” “Of course. But that will cost a lot right?” “Of course. Plus, now that we’re grown up, we have to get more rooms. Since both of us can’t share a bed like in the olden days” “Yes you’re right” “Or do you want to share a bed with me?” he wiggled his eyebrows with a naughty smirk. “What the” she smacked his shoulder.  

-Flashback-

                Mr. and Mrs. Kim were already dozed off in the room next door. It was already late at night. The 5 year-old Yerin turned to the other side of the large king sized bed only to bump into V beside her. Her eyes fluttered open and looked up to V. He blinked his eyes open.

“What’s wrong Yerin?” he asked, still half asleep. “Nightmare?”

She nodded in reply and wiped her tears away. “Don’t worry” V wrapped his arm over her shoulder who was already in his embrace. “It’s just dream. It’s not real. I’m here for you”

“Thanks, Taehyung” Yerin snuggled him. “I’m surely going to find someone nice like you”

“Why not me?” “You?” she glanced at him. “Alright then. I’ll marry you later”

“Promise?” “Uhuh” Yerin nodded and closed her eyes. “Help me sleep”

“Alright” he smiled and began to sang ‘Twinkle Twinkle Little Star’ to lulled her to sleep.

-End of Flashback-

                V stole a gaze at Yerin as he suddenly remembered the memory.

“Yerin” V called. He looked deep into her lovely eyes. “I-”

Her eyes suddenly widened and pressed her hands together, just remembered about something. “Hey I forgot to buy something for dinner”   

“Sorry?” “Dinner” she stood and smiled sheepishly. “Thanks to you, I just remember to buy some fish”

“What?” he was shocked. “You look like fish, Tae” she burst into laughter that she had to clutch onto her stomach. “Yah that’s not funny” he pouted and glared at her. He sighed. “Alright let me accompany you”

*             *             *

 

                V pushed his body against the door of his room to open it. The wooden door was slammed close and he threw his face onto the pillow in his dark bedroom.

“Taehyung” Mrs. Kim’s voice could be heard from outside the room. “Uhm” he mumbled against the fabric. “Let’s eat” his mother called.

V pushed his face off the pillow. “I had dinner with Yerin just now”

“Alright, dear” she moved away from the door.

                He sighed and laid his head on the pillow. He pulled the blanket, covering his whole body.

“Damn it!” he pulled it to cover his face and kicked it numerous times with his eyes squinted in embarrassment. He threw the blanket aside and turned to the wall beside him. V saw the tally he had been counted for the past years.

“847 times! How can I failed to confess for 847 times?!” He heaved a sigh.

*             *             *

                V sat on his bed again after he used the toilet. He ran his view to the clock on the table and saw his phone near it. *It’s 2 a.m. Should I call her? What if she’s in bed? I’ll wake her up right?* He grabbed his phone and didn’t take his time to find Yerin’s name in the contact. Her name was on the top of the list. V called her. And waited. Seconds passed as his call wasn’t answered. He sighed and was about to end the call.

“Tae?” Yerin answered the call. “Yerin” he called. A soft smile lit up his face. “Why are you calling me? Everything okay?” “Yea. Everything is fine. I just… Why are you still up at this hour?”

“Em…” Yerin sighed a deep heavy sigh. “I couldn’t sleep”

“Another nightmare?” he laid on his bed. “Uhuh” “Want to share them with me? Or I can accompany you until morning if you want” “No it’s alright, Taehyung. It just that this dream…. Looks so real. That it really haunts me” “Okay go on. Tell me about it” he smiled. *I can listen to you all the time, Yerin*

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“You should sleep, Yerin” V advised after they talked about the dream. “I don’t think I can” “Yes you can” V smirked. He started to lulled her to sleep like he always did. By singing. He kept his voice as soft as silk and made effort to make her sleep. Moments later, soft snore could be heard from the other side. Yerin had drifted into slumber thanks to him.

                V smile and ended the call. He laid on the bed again. He whispered with a smile. “Good night, Yerin”