CHAPTER 1

Walking With You

BTS-Butterfly

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Warm sunshine shone the wide meadow that swayed to the breeze blown softly, creating a peaceful and quiet surrounding. Not a single living creature can be seen or heard anywhere except…

*             *             *

                Yerin opened her eyes slowly to the blinding sunshine. Slowly she regained her cautious.

*Where am I?*

                She got up from lying down on the ground and patted the dirt off her white knee-level dress. She looked around but failed to see any living organism nor buildings.

*What is this place?*

                Yerin tried to think as she looked around. She set her foot without knowing her destination. She played with the grasses between her fingers as she walked. A warm smile appeared on her lips. *This place is beautiful*

                The grasses caught her feet and she almost tripped. Yerin knelt to remove the grasses. *There. I’m lucky that I didn’t trip*

                She lifted her head and took a step but paused. A thick forest was suddenly before her.

*How can…I don’t think I see any forest around here before* she turned around and gasped.

                A pitch black area covered the once before meadow. She stepped backward toward the forest in fear. A blue black butterfly flew above her and caught her attention.

*Butterfly? Wait!* Yerin tried to catch the insect as if she was possessed to chase it into the forest.

                The butterfly flew upward as it lost from her sight. Yerin pouted and sighed. She looked at the tall trees as she was lost in the middle of the unknown forest. *I’m lost...*

                Rustles of dried dead leaves on the forest floor could be heard behind her. Yerin quickly turned and her eyes glued to the direction of the sound.

*Who’s there?*

                A male with bright hair and red shirt was wandering as he looked around. He held a branch of the tree and sighed. They met each other’s eyes. He gave her a warm smile before walked away.

*Wait!* Yerin ran to him but he was nowhere to be seen.

                She looked down to her feet as she felt she stepped on something. She moved her feet to see a blue marble on the ground. She suddenly noticed a guy in brown shirt was sitting in front of her while holding a twig. He lifted his gaze to meet her eyes as his hand placing the blue marble into her grip. He smiled before got up and ran away deeper into the woods.

*Don’t run away!* Yerin chased him too but failed. She almost ran into a lake but she managed to stop. A guy in black shirt was sitting on a flat stone beside the lake. He saw her and waved her over.

                Yerin looked at him and the lake after one another. He smiled and nodded to the water. Slowly, Yerin tried to step on the water. Her eyes widened. She could walk on the surface of water without drown into the lake. Yerin knelt in front of him as he dip his hands into the cold water. The blue black butterfly was in his hands as he pulled up his hand out of the water.

*Whoa!* agape. The butterfly flew away. He smiled to her and nodded to it. Yerin smiled and ran to it.

                Her feet stepped faster. Her eyes glued to the butterfly that flew but the butterfly once again flew away when she suddenly bumped into someone. Yerin was thrown backward onto the ground. *Ouch!*

                A guy took her hand and helped her to stand again. His lips curled into a smile. His dark hair shone when sunlight fell onto it.

*Thank you* Yerin opened but no sound came out. The guy entwined their hands and smiled.  He took Yerin way into the forest with his other hand knocking on bushes with a branch as they walked.

*Where are we going? Who is this guy?* she thought.

                He suddenly stopped and bent over a bush of wild red roses.

*That’s beautiful!* Yerin smiled. He reached out his hand to pick the flower but she grabbed his hand. They exchanged stares and Yerin shook her head.

*You’ll hurt your hand if you touch the rose*

                The guy smiled and removed her arm. He carefully plucked a red rose. Cuts can be seen on his hand. Yerin took his hand with worried look. He patted her shoulder and eyed his hand. The wound slowly disappeared. And with that the red rose turned blue in color. Her eyes rounded and gasped. The guy bent over and looked deep into her eyes. He curled her hair behind her ear before slipped the rose to her hair.

                Yerin’s cheeks were burning when he smiled more. He entwined their hands again and continued to walk.

                The guy suddenly stopped as they arrived at a place. Yerin looked back at him. He let go off her hand and jerked his head forward.

*I need to continue alone from here* she thought and nodded. She bowed to him as he wanted.

                Yerin turned back to the front and took a few steps. She glanced back to look at the guy but he was nowhere to be seen. *Where-*

“Yerin-ah…”

                She quickly turned back front. *I thought I heard someone calling me*

“Yerin-ah”

                The whisper can be heard again. But this time even clearer. She started to run and wander around, to look for the person who called her. Yerin’s steps stopped as he saw another guy standing under a tree with wooden swing. The guy smiled at her.

*Taehyung-ah!* she ran to him and threw her arms around him. She was too happy to see him that she cried.

                V patted her back and looked into her eyes. He wiped away her tears.

*Taehyung-ah, what’s this place? Where are we? Let’s get out of here!* Yerin tried to talk.

                V smiled more and held her tightly in his arms. He caressed her hair before broke the hug. He nodded to the swings. Yerin looked at V and the swings after one another before decided to sit on the swings. He started to push the swings to move. Yerin chuckled because sweet memory came hit her.

*Taehyung used to play swings with me when we were little*

                After a while, V leaned against the tree trunk. He still didn’t utter a word. He gave her a smile as Yerin looked at him. The blue black butterfly flew towards them and it landed on V’s finger. Yerin got off the seat as her eyes glued to the butterfly. She approached the butterfly slowly but it flapped its wings and floated into the air. Her smiles disappeared. V held her hand.

                The two ran after the butterfly together while holding hands. Yerin glanced at V with smile. They almost arrived at the end of the forest when V released her hand. Yerin arrived outside of the forest and looked back.

*Taehyung…* her face sadden with no sight of V.

                Her eyes fell onto the ground and tears started to flow down her cheeks.

*Don’t leave me alone*   

                Yerin wiped her tears and turned to the front to find a green hill was before her. On top of the hill, a figure of a person stood stole her attention. She approached the person.

                As soon as Yerin arrived on top of the hill, an unfamiliar guy turned to her with a smile. He held the spool he was holding to her. Yerin’s eyes followed the line to the butterfly kite that flew in the blue sky. The guy took her hand and let Yerin hold the kite’s spool. He wrapped his arms around her from behind. His warm hands helped Yerin to hold the spool as they flew the kite together.

                The butterfly kite float in the blue sky magnificently. The wind brushed against Yerin’s fair face. Her lips curled into a smile. She glanced at the guy. He smiled at her before looking at the kite again. The line suddenly snapped and the kite flew away. Yerin released the spool and ran for the kite that suddenly changed into the blue black butterfly. She gasped in surprise. And down the hill she went.

                The sunshine pierced her eyes. She covered her eyes with her palm and removed her hand to find the butterfly was no longer to be seen. She looked up the hill. No one was there.

                Colorful soap bubbles suddenly flew toward her. Yerin stared at the bubble but failed to see what she want. Her reflection. She looked to the side to see a guy with bright colored hair was blowing soap bubbles not far from her. He who was enjoying the beautiful view of bubbles floating around noticed Yerin and waved her over with a broad smile. She skipped to him.

                The guy blew more bubbles from the bubble wand in his hand. Bubbles surrounded them. Yerin glanced at the guy who was smiling at the sight of the bubbles. His arms were spread as he spun around. She slowly smiled and popped the bubbles with her finger. The guy hold her hand. The two spun around with smile. She giggled.

*That* Yerin stopped as she saw the butterfly floating up near her. She stepped slowly towards it and glanced back at the guy. The guy and the bubbles that once fill the area were nowhere to be seen. Yerin turned to the butterfly.

“What happen?” she whispered to the butterfly. Yerin glanced back to see all the guys she met were running toward the butterfly. V waved at her. Her face lit up with smile again.

                They chased the butterfly together with laughter as they teased around. Yerin skidded to stop as she realized they were heading to the cliff. The guy who gave her marble took her hand with smile. He brought her to run again. They climbed up the rock of the cliff. Yerin who was on the leas stopped at the edge of the cliff. She looked down to the deep ocean and to the other guys behind her.

*Stop! It’s dangerous here!* she tried to shout but failed. She waved her hand to prevent them from coming but they seems to ignore her warning.

                Yerin looked at the butterfly that flew above the ocean in front of her.

*It’s the butterfly! They’ll stop if they didn’t see the butterfly*

                She jumped off the cliff and grabbed the butterfly. Her body fell off the high cliff. Yerin looked at the boys who were staring at her. Their smiles disappeared. Despair and regret were shown on their faces. One of them held the rose from Yerin’s head. Yerin noticed the rose was not on her hair anymore. The guy crushed the rose in his grip. He opened his grip to see white flower petals. He dropped the petals and let the petals blown away by the wind.

                Yerin opened her palm from gripping the butterfly. Surprisingly, a white bird flew away instead of the butterfly. *What?!*

                Yerin could heard the sound of strong wave hit the giant rocks below her. Her eyes glued to the guys with her arms reached out towards them. Her body eventually fell into the dark water. But she didn’t sank deeper.

                Slowly she opened her eyes to see seven hands holding onto her arm. She smiled.

*             *             *

                Yerin turned to the other side of her bed. She blinked her eyes open to see the clock on her table.

 

“It’s already 5 a.m.?” she whined. She suddenly sat up. “I can talk! Wait!” she thought for a while. She was still on her bed in her room. “It was just a dream. Thank goodness” she sighed in relieve.  

                Sound of shower from the bathroom could be heard moment later. Yerin went to the kitchen to fix a breakfast after cleaned herself.

“It’s too quiet in here” she the stereo and continued to eat at the dining table.

                Yerin went to her room and brushed her hair before braided it. She hung her handbag on her shoulder and looked into the mirror.

                She was wearing a white blouse with black skirt. She smiled to herself.

“Let’s do our best today, Yerin” she encouraged herself by talking to her reflection and gave herself a big smile. She took her phone and checked the messages she received.

 

| Good morning, my princess~                                                  From: Seunghwan oppa <3                          |

                Her smile widen and replied.

| Good morning, oppa. Hwaiting for today <3                     To: Seunghwan oppa <3                                   |

| Thank you. You too, babe. I’ll see you later. Love you too          From: Seunghwan oppa <3                |

 

                Yerin kept her phone into her bag. Her eyes caught her sketch book on her study table. She went through the pages. Most of the pages were pictures of the blue black butterfly.

“I dreamt of the butterfly again” she turned to other pages. There were the picture of a guy playing the kite, another guy in the red shirts, another guy who sat on the stone by the lake, the guy with marble, the guy that gave her the blue rose, the guy who played with the bubbles and V with the swings.

*Apart from Taehyung, who are these guys? Usually, I dreamt about them on different nights. But why and how can I dreamt all of them together last night? It’s weird* she kept the book into her bag.