Chapter 2

Bokeh

Chapter 2: Recereating Life


I stared at the vegetable as I plan to cook packed lunch for everybody. I don't know where I am supposed to start. This is driving me nuts. I looked at the recipe that I printed last night and I am still trying to  comprehend each verb that was placed on the paper. 

"Let's see.. I'm supposed to peel it then chop it. But how am I supposed to know if the size the I cut is right?" I mumbled to myself. The backdoor opened and ahjumma came in. "Oh? Ahjumma!" She smiles and greeted back.

"What are you doing Kana?"

"Oh, I want to make packed lunch for everybody and breakfast for Soah but I can't seem to know where to start.." She chuckles and holds the knife from me.

"You are supposed to this first. Washing the vegetables is a must whenever you cook them."

"Oh I see.." I forgot about that. Oh wait, I forgot everything. How am I even to remember to wash vegetables right? Now that's a good way to reason about forgetting washing the vegetables.

"Then, chop them Kana."

"How am I supposed to know the right size?" She laughs and shakes her head in amusement.

"Just measure how you would like it whenever you eat it. In cooking, you also have to think about who's going to eat the food that you're making." 

I smiled learning from what Ahjumma is saying. I'm starting to feel like she's someone important to me too, which is why I just have ended to a decision that I'm going to cook for her too. "Ahjumma, guess what? I'm gonna cook for you too." 

She chuckles and nod, helping me peel the vegetables. "I will look forward to that Kana."

- - - - - - - - - - 


My morning preparation of food has become successful and I'm glad Soah liked her breakfast. It feels good to actually seeing her eat in joy. It makes my heart feel lighter. I placed the packed lunch on my desk and smiled. I hope everyone will like it. I felt like going to the comfort room so I did.

"Oh, sorry!" I said bumping into someone. I think I made him upset. His looking at me with and I think he's really mad. "Um, I'm really sorry about that.." I repeated and bowed. I stepped to the right but he did too, so I stepped to the left but he did again. "Um, I'll step to the right this time so you can go on your left."

"I don't want to."

"Eh?" I looked at him and he scoffed. 

"I don't like being told of what I am supposed to do."

"Oh.." Byun Kana, you bumped into a wrong guy! You'll be dead if you say another word! Be careful with what you're saying! "Um okay.. What do you want to do then? Which step are you going to take?" 

"Why do I have to answer that?" I bit my lip in frustration. This is really upsetting to me. Why do I have to even deal with him? I don't like to go to the comfort room anymore.. He smirks and steps towards me. I gasped in fear. Goodbye world. I was really hoping in remembering my past but it turns out that it will be the end of me today. "You look like you're about to be killed." He says.

"H..Huh? No I'm not.." 

"You're scared about me?" I shake my head with such speed and I hear him chuckle. I looked at him and he looks good when he laughs. "I was just messing with you Kana." 

"You..You know me?" I asked pointing at myself. 

"I'm really hurt, you not remembering me. We're in the same class."

"We are?" 

"Geez, I know you're a girl with amnesia but I don't think your memory would last that short." He smiles and held out his hand. "Ren's the name."

"Ah yes.." I take his hand and shake it. 

"You're going in here right? Go now." He steps to the side and I thank him. I immediately enter the comfort room and sighed in relief. I looked at myself in the mirror and I look pale in fear. I really thought that was my end. I did my business and I washed my hands and sighed again. I wiped my hands with the paper towel and walked out. I jumped in surprise seeing Ren to be still here.

"R..Ren!" I exclaimed.

"Why do you look surprised?"

"Oh, I.." I looked down in shame. 

"I waited for you."

"Oh, um.. Thanks?" He laughs again and we started walking. The way he is acting right now is so confusing. I don't even know which is the true him. The first Ren that I saw was really frightening and now this Ren.. He's laughing. Well, he does look good when he's smiling.

"Are you okay now? I heard from the rumors that you got into an accident two years ago."

"I did?"

He laughs again. "What was that? I am asking you Kana."

"Oh um, you see I have troubles figuring out about me.."

"Well I guess that can be a given huh?" He says and I nod. I looked at him and he's still smiling. "Say Kana, you have plans after class?"

"I think I have.. I can't just go out without my brother knowing. I can ask him and tell you afterwards."

"Really?!" I jump in surprise and nods. He said that with so much conviction. He seems to notice it so he cleared his throat and looked down. "Then tell me when you can. Maybe we can hang out sometime?" 

"Um, I don't think I do that, hanging out." He chuckles again.

"No, not clubbing silly. Eating maybe."

"Eating sounds good." I replied. Who turns down free food right? We reached the classroom and I sat on my chair while Ren leans on the desk in front of mine. "Say, are you a close friend of mine?" I asked.

He smiles and looks at me. "What makes you say that?"

"I don't know. I just thought that by the way we have a conversation, it seems to be natural."

He smiles again. I don't know if it's just me but I think every time I talk he's smiling. "Whatever you might think is fine with me." The bell rang and the teacher comes in so he waved me goodbye and goes back to his seat. I wonder what kind of relationship I have with Ren?

- - - - - - - - - - 

"Chanyeol and Baekhyun? I'm afraid they're not here Kana. Baekhyun went to the student council room to have a meeting and Chanyeol.. Ah! He may be in the photography room. Just check it." The guy replied. I actually went to my brother and Chanyeol's classroom to give them the packed lunches that I have prepared and eat with them but they're not here so his guy entertained me. I was supposed to eat it during lunch but I bumped into Ren.

"Um, thanks-" he guessed that I don't remember him so he chuckled.

"Chen. I'm called Chen, I'm a friend of those two. I heard about what happened, sorry for that."

I smile. "Thanks Chen." I said and walked ahead but stopped. "Um, where's the photography room?" He laughs and shakes his head in disbelief.

"Oh right, silly me." He says and walks away from the doorframe that he's leaning into. "Go straight up to the corridor and turn left. The third door from there would be the photography room."

"I see. Thank you very much!" I replied and did as I was told and turned left after the corridor reaches its end. I walked pass through two doors and reached the third one. The sign says "Photography" so I guess I'm at the right place. I opened the door and as soon as I opened it, my heart started beating so fast. I held on to it but it doesn't stop. It keeps on beating so fast that I find it harder to breathe. 

"Stop..beating.." I mumbled to my heart. I am now huffing because of it. I can't make it stop. What's wrong with me?

"Kana?" I turned around and saw Chanyeol with his camera. 

"Chan..yeol." He walks closer to me looking worried.

"You look pale. Come here." He grabs my hand and we make our way inside. He told me to seat down and he heads to the tiny refrigerator to get me something to drink. He walks back and places the drink on my hand. "Did you bring your pills with you?" I nod and reached for my pocket. He grabs the container from me and opens it placing two of the pills on his hand. He pulls put my hand and gives them to me to intake and I did. 

"Thanks.." I replied. I think Chanyeol's a person who really looks after me. He really remembers things that the doctor have told me. I again, forgot that I should intake my pills at times like this so I should take it with me everywhere. It happened before when I went on a cafe with Soah and Ahjumma. I practically collapsed because of finding it hard to breathe.

"Are you alright now?" He asks and I nod.

"Much better." I replied. I sigh in relief. My heart is now getting back to normal. "Did something happen in this room? I mean, is this room special to me? My heart started to beat like crazy when I saw it." I asked. Chanyeol just looked at me not replying. He saw the small bag that I had with me and pointed at it.

"What is that?"

"Oh this, I almost forgot why I went here." I smiled and grabbed the bag. "It's for you and Oppa. I made packed lunch for you guys. I was supposed to give it during lunch but I ran into Ren."

"Ren? Oh so you're in the same class as him? His a friend of Meilee and of you too." He smiles. His smile is really comforting that it's gonna make you smile back too. 

"I see. So that's why it's really comfortable when I talk to him." I said and smiled.

He stared at the lunch and saw the kimbap that I made. He smiled again. "Why all of a sudden?"

"I just want to thank you both for everything. I don't think I can do it without you both, oh and also Soah. Somehow you're niece is really making me feel light whenever I am with her."

He smiles again. "I know. She's like you to me. You always make me feel light too."

I smiled at his statement. "You like photography?"

"Not that much. I can say that it's only a hobby. Music might be the answer to that."

"Really? What instrument do you do?"

"I can do piano, drums and guitar. But I usually use guitar."

"Really?" I smile in awe. "Wow, you almost do everything. I would like to see you in one someday." He laughs and sat at the chair near to the table. "Why are you laughing?"

"You just made it sound like I'm gonna perform in front of a huge crowd or something." 

"Why not right?" He smiled and starts to clean the lens in the table. "So, what made you do photography?" He stops moving after my question. I am asking too much am I? I am too curious about him. "Oh- I.. Uh.. You don't have to answer." I said and opened the bag placing the container out of the bag and placed it on the table for him.

"It's because you like it."

"What?" I looked at him in confusion. I made him do photography and it's because I like it? 

"You like it. Photography. I got interested too so.." He said looking down and continued cleaning the lens. 

"Do I like photography too? Is that why my heart started beating?"

He stops and placed the lens in a safe place. "Someone made you like it." 

"Someone? Wh-"

"Wow that was too much work!" The door opens and my brother comes in. 

"Oppa!" I greeted and he smiles seeing me here. 

"My sisterrrr~" he sing song and hugs me. I chuckled and hugged him back. "Nothing beats a warm hug from my sister."

"You've got a serious sister complex." Chanyeol stated and I laughed.

"Mind your own business. You're just jealous because you don't have one."

"Is he an only child?" I asked.

"Yes he is." My brother replied. "Oh? Is that food I see?"

"Oh right! I made lunch for you too oppa. Here." I said handing him his share. 

"Wahhhh~ I can get used to this everyday."

"You're taking advantage of the moment."Chanyeol said as he eat his food. 

"I'm just taking advantage that she remembers how to cook for us again." My brother replied and started eating.

"I cook for you?"

"Yeah, you always cook for the three of us-" he stops and Chanyeol looks at him.

"Three? Is there somebody else that eats with us?"

"W..Well you know? Me, Chanyeol and yourself! The three of us!"

"Oh, I see." The bell rings and I guess that's the cue that I have to go back. "That's the bell. I have to go back now!"

"Mm! Kana, jurf go faf wif Chanyorf lafer ofay?" I looked at my brother confused. Chanyeol looks annoyed and flicked his forehead. 

"SWALLOW FIRST FOR GOODNESS SAKE!" He exclaimed and I laughed.

"Oh forry!" And he did. "I meant go back with Chanyeol later. I am having a meeting for the student council so I have to stay."

"Oh I see. Okay." I smiled and waved them goodbye. Chanyeol smiles and waves me goodbye. My heart started beating but it's not the terrifying beat. It's a mellow beat.