Dinner

Hate That I Love You

Kyesin

 

 

I took my phone out and called the person at the top of my recent contacts list. It only rang twice before he answered.

 

“Hello, angel. Did you get back safely?” Dean, who was at the other side of the line asked.

 

“Yup,” I answered. “We just landed.”

 

“That’s great,” he said cheerfully. “The charity dinner is about to begin. A lot of people came, Kye.”

 

“That’s wonderful!”

 

“What time is your flight to China again?” he asked.

 

“In six hours,” I replied.

 

“Oh… have a safe trip, okay? Let’s eat out once you got back.”

 

“But I’ll be coming to charity dinner first,” I said.

 

“What? Really? But it takes about two hours to get here from the airport. Are you sure that’s fine?” he asked.

 

“Yeah! I’ll stay for an hour or so. I want to personally meet and thank the people present there,” I said with a chuckle. “And I’m so exhausted from work. I need to take a break a bit and see you.”

 

“Oh? Is Miss Park Kyesin flirting with me?” he chuckled over the phone.

 

I rolled my eyes. “Dean Smith, I do not need to flirt with you to make you feel all giddy.”

 

“I know, I know. I’m just teasing,” he laughed.

 

“Hey, Fred’s here.”

 

“Okay. Have a safe drive. I’ll see you soon, hun.”

 

“See you. Make sure to leave some food for me, okay?”

 

“Yes, of course! Come quickly. I miss you.”

 

I put my phone down.  “Good evening, Fred.”

 

“Good evening, Ma’am,” he replied while a big smile. He took my luggage and loaded it to the car.

 

“Thank you,” I told him before getting in the car.

 

Dean was right. It took us two hours to arrive. But it was all worth it. Seeing all the people gathered in the banquet hall, all those generous people, it warms my heart.

 

I scanned the room around for Dean, but it was someone else I found. Someone who takes up the largest place in my heart: Cho Kyuhyun.

 

“You’re here?” I asked. As far as I can remember, neither I nor Dean have business relations with him, except that he’s one of my clients.

 

He stepped closer to me. “Siwon hyung invited me.”

 

“oh…” I nodded. Right… Siwon’s father is one of my company’s partners.

 

“And you? I suppose ‘he’ invited you?” he said. Obviously, he was talking about Dean.

 

And just in time, he came. The man protecting me ever since I came back to Korea. “Hey, there you are! Glad you can make it.” He wrapped an arm around my waist and smiled at me.

 

“Yeah. Uhm.. Kyuhyun, this is –“

 

“Dean Smith,” he cut me. “We met earlier.”

 

Dean tightened his grip around me. “Her boyfriend, Dean Smith,” he said.

 

Kyuhyun’s eyes grew wide. “Boyfriend? Boyfriend?!” His brows furrowed in anger.

 

“Can you excuse us for a second?” I told Dean.

 

“Will you be alright?” he asked me with a smile.

 

“Yes, I promise,” I nodded.

 

“Alright. See you later. You’re giving the closing speech in a few,” he smiled at me, tucking a lock of hair behind my ear.

 

“Okay.”

 

“Boyfriend? You told me you were just friends!” Kyuhyun said once we were alone.

 

“I’m sorry, alright? I lied. I didn’t know what to tell you.”

 

His brows furrowed at me. I’ve seen him like this before. It was like when he was angry at me, jealous of Henry.

 

“How about you tell me the truth?!” He pressed.

 

“I wanted to! But… you’re pissed at me. I knew telling you about Dean and I would piss you off even more.”

 

“And you thought lying to me wouldn’t?!” He was really furious.

 

“I was planning to tell you… I was just waiting for the right time.  When you aren’t that mad at me anymore,” I said. I wanted to hold him… “I’m sorry.”

 

“How long have you two been together?”

 

“A month,” I replied honestly.

 

“Great,” he scoffed, rolling his eyes.

 

“Excuse me.” Dean suddenly came from behind. He looked at me with worried eyes. “I’m sorry to intrude, but Kye, it’s time.”

 

“Alright. Excuse me,” I said. I hate to leave the conversation just like this but I had no choice.

 

I walked by Dean’s side, glancing over my shoulder to check on Kyuhyun. He marched towards the corridor, probably going to the bathroom.

 

“Sorry, I should’ve told you he was here. I was surprised too,” he said in a whisper.

 

“It’s fine,” I smiled at him.

 

“Maybe I shouldn’t have told him about us…”

 

I shook my head. “Nah… It isn’t your fault. I was supposed to tell him the truth…”

 

He spun around to face me. He brushed my hair with his hand and gave me a warm smile. “Don’t beat yourself up, hun.” He cupped my face to give me a deep kiss. “Welcome back, by the way.”

 

I chuckled. “Thanks.”

 

“Ready to give your closing speech?” he asked.

 

“Yeah,” I nodded.

 

He smiled wide at me before kissing my lips twice and then once on my forehead. “Good luck,” he whispered.

 

I went up the podium and took a deep breath. “Hello everyone, good evening,” I started. I scanned the room. Cho Kyuhyun is nowhere to be found. I then breathed and continued. “For those who do not know, my name is Park Kyesin and I am the CEO of SSE. I appreciate everyone who came here today. I appreciate your time and effort spent to join my partner and me for this little charity dinner. This event will not be a success without your presence, so thank you very much for your generosity. This will definitely help the children and put smiles on their faces. So, again, we thank you Now, there are drinks available for everyone so please enjoy the rest of the night.”

 

“That was great,” Dean smiled as he escorted me to the table. “Hungry?”

 

“Starving,” I chuckled.

 

The waiter served me a platter of a quarter pound of steak and mash. I took my knife and fork and dug in. Dean put his arm around my shoulder sweetly and kissed my cheek.

 

“Hey, I’m trying to eat here,” I scolded him.

 

“I just miss you so much,” he smiled. “I haven’t seen you for days. You’ve been really busy with work. You just came back from Japan and in just a few minutes, you’re leaving for China again. I know this is very important for you but I hope you still remember to take a breather once in a while.”

 

“You’re worse than my brother,” I laughed. “But I know, Dean. I know.”

 

“God, I miss you so much,” he whispered before kissing me.

 

“Well I missed you too,” I smiled at him.  “But please let me eat. Airplane food .”

 

“Alright, alright,” he chuckled.

 

“Mister Smith,” an old Caucasian man suddenly said. He was with a woman, probably his wife.

 

“Oh! Mister Davis!” Dean stood up and shook his hand. I stood up too.

 

“oh, please, no need to stand. This is my wife, Bianca,” he said.

 

“Mr. Davis, let me introduce my girlfriend, Park Kyesin. She is also my partner in organizing this event. Kye, meet my boss, the chairperson, Mr. Mark Davis.”

 

We each shook hands.. “Nice to meet you,” I greeted. “Please have a seat.”

 

“I see now why Mr. Smith is always in a good mood,” he chuckled. “His girlfriend is absolutely a treasure.”

 

“Oh, Mr. Davis, that’s quite flattering,” I flushed.

 

“But it’s true, though, hun,” Dean smiled at me.

 

“You’re the CEO of a statistical firm, right?” Ms. Bianca Davis said. “Forgive me for asking, but I’m just curious. What do you guys do exactly?”

 

“Well, to put it in simpler terms, we’re like calculator plus analyst plus interpreter. Really expensive ones, in fact,” I chuckled.

 

“Oh, there aren’t many Mathematical Analysts now, right?”

 

“Yes, that’s right,” I nodded.

 

“You know I used to call her ‘walking calculator’ back when we were still in Stanford,” Dean said. “She can solve really fast mentally. When we go out and eat, she splits the bill like nobody’s business.”

 

“That’s amazing!” Mr. Davis exclaimed. “But I’m afraid we have to leave now. Our kids at home are waiting for us.”

 

“Oh, of course,” Dean nodded. We both stood up as they did.

 

“Please have a safe trip home. It was nice meeting you,” I said with a smile.

 

“It was nice meeting you as well. Thank you for tonight.” They both left.

 

We sat back down and I finished my meal.

 

“You look really beautiful tonight,” Dean flirted as he looked at me.

 

“Just tonight?” I raised my eyebrows at him teasingly.

 

He laughed. “Yeah just today.”

 

“Hey!” I playfully spanked his hand.

 

“I’m kidding. I ‘m kidding,” he guffawed. I wiped my lips with a napkin as I finished my food. I took a look at my watch. “Do you need to go now?” he pouted.

 

“Yeah…” I nodded.

 

He sighed and took my hand to lead me to the lobby.  I scanned around, looking for Kyuhyun. Wait. Why am I looking for him? I shouldn’t, right?

 

“Hey, have you replied to your friend? Heechul, was it?” he asked me as we walked.

 

“No, not yet,” I shook my head. “But I don’t know… Maybe we shouldn’t go.”

 

“Why not?” he asked. “Aren’t they your friends? You told me countless of times back in America how you miss them and now you’re avoiding the party just because of one person?”

 

“But wouldn’t it be awkward…with both of you in one room…” I whispered.

 

He smiled at me. “Tell him we’ll go. I’ll be fine. I don’t know about him. I don’t care. I want to meet your friends. Don’t you think it’s time that I should? I mean come on. I learned their language for you.”

 

I laughed. “And you learned quite quickly, I might say.” I breathed deeply. “Okay. We’ll go.”

 

“By the way, thanks for coming today. Really,” he said. “It’s always nice having you around. And I miss you. A lot. Come home soon, okay?”

 

“As soon as work is done,” I nodded.

 

He tucked a lock of hair behind my ear. He kissed my lips sweetly but still, I didn’t feel anything. “You know I’d do anything for you, right?”

 

“Oh really? Then call Mr. Fred for me,” I chuckled.

 

“Yes Ma’am!” he smiled and then left for the valet.

 

I suddenly felt something pulling my wrist. With his broad back to me, he pulled me to a secluded corridor. Even from behind, I immediately know who it is.

 

“Kyuhyun? Kyuhyun, what are you doing? Where are you bringing me?” His grip around me tightened. “Kyuhyun! Stop it!”

 

He pulled me into a janitor’s closet and pushed me against the door.

 

“Why did you let him do that? Why?!” Kyuhyun said angrily.

 

“Do what?! Kyuhyun, you’re hurting me!” His hands circled my wrists tight.

 

“You promised me, Kye! You promised me! You promised me that these lips are mine only. MINE!” He put his hands on either side of my face before vehemently pressing his lips on mine. His tongue forced my mouth open and played with mine, my lips, grazed my teeth… I couldn’t help it. I didn’t want to kiss him back but my body wants to. My hands found the collar of his shirt and I pulled him closer. Gradually, his anger subsided as our kiss calmed him down. He pulled away, keeping his forehead on mine as we both panted for air.

 

“He’s my boyfriend, Kyu,” I explained in a whisper. I gently pushed him away.

 

And then, he said the words I’ve been wanting to hear for such a long time.

 

“I want you back, Kyesin…” He said with soft eyes. My heart turned frantic. “You are the best thing that has ever happened to me. And right now…my life has been good. And that is all because of you. You pushed me to go down this path. I have everything I could ask for…everything but you…”

 

But no… I… I have a boyfriend. This isn’t right. I can’t just leave Dean for Kyuhyun… He’s changed now… How can I be sure that he is still the man I fell in love with?

 

I shook my head. “Kyu… I can’t… this isn’t right…”

 

His brows furrowed into one line. He leaned over, with one hand pushing the door behind me. “What does he have that I don’t?! Tell me! I have money. I probably work harder than he does. My looks aren’t that bad either!”

 

He doesn’t understand, does he? That I don’t care about money. I don’t care about looks. I loved him for who he is. I loved him since he’s special. I love him because he will always be the best for me.

 

I just don’t think we can ever be what we were before again. After what he’s done when I got back…

 

“Kyu… it’s not like that…”

 

He shook his head. I could see the anger in his eyes. “I don’t get it Kye. What do you see in him, huh?” Nothing. You will always be better than anyone to me, Kyu. “You two just met and you’re already dating him? What? Did he satisfy you better than I did?”

 

No. How could he? How?!

 

I couldn’t contain myself. My hand… my hand flew into his face. The slap echoed in the silent room. It was deafening.

 

But I was disappointed at him. I spitted out words that I have been piling up. “How could you say that, Kyuhyun? What happened to you? You used to be the one defending me from people who think that low of me…but why are you one of them now? Dean has been my friend for almost seven years. He’s been courting me ever since but I keep turning him down because I’m still in love with you! But seeing how you’ve changed over these years, I decided to give him a chance. But mind this Kyuhyun: never did he once make a move on me. Never.”

 

I pushed him and unlocked the door, shaking. I looked at him, him and his brown hair, confused puppy eyes, broad shoulders and tall physique that looked absolutely amazing in the tuxedo he wore. “I don’t know who you are anymore, Cho Kyuhyun,” I told him.

 

I ran to back to the lobby where Dean was. He was looking for me and when he found me, stupid me who’s helplessly in love with someone who hated me and now wants me back but has changed for the worse, he immediately took me in his arms.

 

“Are you okay? What happened?” Dean asked worriedly.

 

“Yeah, I’m fine,” I said. My hand was still shaking from the slap… My eyes felt tearing up but I kept it in. I promised myself I won’t cry because of him anymore.

 

“Fred is waiting outside,” He whispered.

 

“Alright. I need to go. See you in a week,” I said.  He leaned forward to give me a kiss but I jerk back. No… I couldn’t kiss him with these filthy lips. “I… I… I can’t…”

 

Dean looked at me, shocked. He sighed and took out a handkerchief. He wiped my lips. “There,” he smiled. He pressed his lips on mine for a few seconds before whispering. “I’m sorry if I’m making it hard for you. I love you.”

 

“I’m sorry too,” I whispered before running to the car waiting for me outside.

 

I went in and the car sped off. I looked at my hand. It was still shaking… the tears escaped from my eyes like waterfalls.

 

I don’t want you back. I don’t want you back. I don’t want you back. Repeat until it sinks in.

 

Why… Why Kyuhyun?

 

 

 

 

Kyuhyun

 

 

“Yah! Cho Kyuhyun! Get up!” Choi Siwon grabbed my foot and pulled it.

 

“Go away, hyung. I’m resting,” I complained, pulling my covers back.

 

He sighed, and pulled my covers away. “Kyuhyun, what’s happening with you?” he asked. I noticed he was all suited up.

 

“Nothing!” I said.

 

“Heechul hyung and you haven’t spoken for days. Hell you won’t even look at each other!” he said.

 

“I said it’s nothing, Hyung.”

 

“It’s about Kyesin, isn’t it?” he said. I gripped on my sheets. “I’m sorry we didn’t tell you. She didn’t want us to.”

 

“Hyung…. I just… I just need to clear my mind about all these,” I said.

 

He breathed deeply. “Go ahead and suit up. Come with me.”

 

“Where to?” I asked, sitting up.

 

“Charity dinner,” he replied. “It’s headed by appa’s business partner. Appa couldn’t come so he asked me to stand in for him. Come on, Kyu. It’s the holiday season! Remember what Christmas is all about?”

 

“Giving,” I replied, rolling my eyes at him. “But hyung, it’s January. Holiday season is over.”

                                                                                       

“Still, wouldn’t it be nice to give something out of the goodness of your heart?” he chuckled. “I’ll wait for you outside.”

 

I sighed. Choi Siwon is kind and generous. People may even think he’s the whole package. He’s tall, handsome, loving, rich yet giving. He’s a good person. We both liked donating to charity, actually. And we both don’t like flaunting it to the public or having media report it. I think it defeats the purpose of giving. But unlike him, I don’t seem to be a good guy.

 

I put on my suit as he instructed. He was right. Doing this may perhaps boost my spirits up.

 

We arrived at the hotel venue at around eight in the evening. We were led to a hall by the receptionist.

 

“Oh , there he is,” Siwon hyung said.

 

“Hello, welcome,” a tall man said in English before shaking hyung’s hand. “Thank you for coming.”

 

I froze in place. It was him. That man who keeps taking Kyesin away. Dean Smith. His eyes shifted from Siwon to me and I could tell that he was surprised. He kept his composure and smiled at me.

 

“No, it’s our pleasure,” Siwon replied in perfect English. “By the way, this is my friend –“

 

“Cho Kyuhyun, I believe,” he cut hyung off and shook my head. “I believe we haven’t met formally. My name is Dean Smith.”

 

“Pleasure,” I said. Even though I didn’t mean it.

 

He smiled like a true gentleman. “Please do take your seats inside. The dinner is about to start.”

 

“Thank you,” Siwon politely bowed before going in.

 

I gave him one last look. He seemed unaffected by my presence, but there’s something about him that ticks me off.

 

I followed Siwon hyung to the table and sat lazily beside him. “What’s with you?” he whispered.

 

“Nothing,” I lied.

 

“You keep saying there’s nothing wrong when there obviously is something in the matter,” he said.

 

I sighed in defeat. “Hyung… Was I really the reason why she left?”

 

“Kyuhyun, you know I can’t answer that. Only she can.”

 

“I don’t know what I’m feeling anymore, hyung. I thought I hated her but every time I see her… or when I’m with her… I couldn’t… I couldn’t help but feel the same way before…” I admitted. “Like I haven’t moved on…”

 

“Maybe you really haven’t,” he smiled softly at me. “But wait… you said every time you’re with her… What does that mean?” I bit my lip. “Oh no, Kyu. What did you do?”

 

“I hired her as a statistician for MOM House,” I whispered.

 

Siwon shook his head as he pinched his temples. “Kyu, that’s a bad idea.”

 

“I know,” I chuckled bitterly. “I thought I was going to get revenge when I hired her but when she’s around me… I turn into a total mess. I don’t know why I’m like this, man.”

 

“Maybe you still love her?” he suggested. My head snap to glare at him. “Hey, I’m not the one who’s confused as hell right now.”

 

I sighed. “How could I still love someone who left me broken? You saw how I was for around two years, hyung.”

 

“I do. But maybe, you still yearn for her. You still want her to come back to you,” he said.

 

“I don’t know hyung…”

 

“hello, good evening,” a guy said over the microphone. We look up at front. That Dean guy was speaking. “First of all, let me introduce myself. Hello, I’m Dean Smith, Vice Chairperson of Robinson Group of Companies – Korean Branch. Second, I would like to thank everyone for coming today in this charity event jointly organized by my company and our partner, SSE whose CEO will be joining us shortly. We really appreciate the time you’ve spent to be here with us for a cause. Third, we are very welcome to receive any amount. All your donations will proceed to the UNICEF, specifically to the orphaned children.  So now, please enjoy this dinner we prepared as a little token of our appreciation.”

 

The waiters all came in and served us a five course meal. It was delicious, I won’t deny. I took this night to observe that Dean guy. He was a gentleman, without a doubt. And he definitely had the CEO feel. But what did Kyesin see in him? Why does she spend so much time with him? Why did she choose him over me? She said they were just friends but why do I not like the guy?

 

After the plates were cleared, I took my check book and wrote my donation.

 

“That’s quite generous, Kyuhyun,” Siwon said.

 

“It’s for a good cause, hyung,” I smiled him as I took an envelope from the center of the table. This would teach that Dean guy that I can provide too. I may not be a big company CEO but I’m capable too. I stood up and excused myself to go to the comfort room.

 

I was on my way when a woman dressed in red walked in the reception. She was glowing, not literally, but to my eyes she was. I don’t know if it was her plunging neckline and how her dress hugs her body perfectly, or if it was just her beautiful angelic face that made my heart skip a beat.

 

Why, Park Kyesin? After all these years apart, you still take my breath away. That’s a rude thing to do, isn’t it?

 

She scanned the room and when her eyes found mine… her innocent hazel eyes… they widened in shock.

 

“You’re here?” she asked in a whisper.

 

I came closer. “Siwon hyung invited me.”

 

“oh…”

 

“And you? I suppose ‘he’ invited you?” I said.

 

“Hey, there you are!” That guy Dean came from behind and put an arm around her waist. My hand uncontrollably turned into a fist. “Glad you can make it.”

 

“Yeah,” she smiled at him. “Uhm.. Kyuhyun, this is –“

 

“Dean Smith,” I cut her off. “We met earlier.”

 

“Her boyfriend, Dean Smith,” he corrected.

 

My heart dropped. “Boyfriend? Boyfriend?!”

 

“Can you excuse us for a second?” Kyesin told the guy.

 

“Will you be alright?” he asked.

 

“Yes, I promise,” she nodded.

 

“Alright. See you later. You’re giving the closing speech in a few,” he smiled at her, tucking a lock of hair behind her ear.

 

“Okay,” she nodded with a smile.

 

“Boyfriend?” I asked again once we were alone. “You told me you were just friends.”

 

“I’m sorry, alright? I lied. I didn’t know what to tell you,” she said.

 

“How about you tell me the truth?!”

 

“I wanted to! But… you’re pissed at me. I knew telling you about Dean and I would piss you off even more,” she explained.

 

“And you thought lying to me wouldn’t?!” I gritted through my teeth.

 

“I was planning to tell you… I was just waiting for the right time.  When you aren’t that mad at me anymore,” she said. “I’m sorry.”

 

“How long have you two been together?”

 

“A month,” she replied.

 

“Great,” I scoffed.

 

“Excuse me,” I heard a guy say. I spun around. Mr. Smith was here again. “I’m sorry to intrude, but Kye, it’s time.”

 

“Alright,” she nodded. “Excuse me.”

 

She went ahead and walked to his side. He took her hand in his and led her to the stage.

 

My hands were in fists and I could feel my temper rising. I breathed deeply and went to the bathroom to cool off. I went inside, finding the bathroom empty. I loosened my tie and punched the wall in anger. It ing hurt.

 

I looked at myself in the mirror. Why? Why am I like this?

 

The door suddenly opened and Choi Siwon came inside. He closed the door discreetly. “I’m sorry. I didn’t know she’s coming…”

 

“He’s doing this for her…” I said.

 

“What?”

 

“That Dean Smith. He’s doing this for her…” I gritted. My hands were turning into fists again.

 

“Why?”

 

“Coz he’s her boyfriend,” I chuckled bitterly. I leaned on the wall. “He’s her ing boyfriend and she never told me about it!”

 

“Watch your mouth, Kyuhyun,” Siwon hyung scolded me. “Are you alright?”

 

“Alright? How could I be? She told me he was just a friend, hyung,” I said.

 

“Sounds to me that you’re jealous,” he chuckled.

 

I froze and glared at him. “I am not.”

 

“So tell me why you’re so pissed right now,” he grinned smugly. “From the moment you two met tonight, you’ve been really moody. Sounds to me that you’re jealous of him rather than angry at Kye. Look, I know you, Kyu. You’re like a brother to me and you know that. And I know that even until now, you’re possessive of her. Maybe… Maybe you don’t like to see someone else making her happy but you.”

 

I sighed. Is that what I really feel?

 

“I don’t know what to do, hyung… I’m so confused.”

 

“There’s only one thing you can do in times like these, Kyu,” Siwon smiled at me as he came close to fix my necktie. “And that is to stop thinking and listen to your heart.” He smiled at me and tapped my shoulders. “Take a deep breath and then join me back at the party when you’re ready, okay?”

 

I nodded. “Okay.” He then disappeared. I took a look at myself again at the mirror. I breathed deeply, counted to ten before going out.

 

“Champagne?” a waiter welcomed me.

 

“Oh yes, one,” I said, taking one glass and chugging it down in one gulp. “Hey, on second thought, I need two.”

 

“Rough night, sir?” he asked.

 

“Yeah, kinda…”

 

I sat back at the table with what seems to be my third glass of alcohol. And on my seat was a clear view of her, smiling as she converse with different people. She looked really beautiful. She had this aura of a professional. But why does it piss me off so much when I see her together with that guy?

 

I emptied my glass and then stood up to look for the waiter going around with the champagne. By the time I went back to my seat, she was gone. Park Kyesin was gone. And so was Mr. Vice-Chairperson, Dean Smith. I quickly finished my glass with one chug and went out of the reception to look for her.

 

With my head a little hazy from the sudden rise in alcohol intake, I walked through the halls of the hotel looking for her. I don’t know if it was because I was intoxicated but I felt that the hotel was crazy big, it was impossible to find her. But then, something was nudging me, telling me to go to the entrance and check.

 

And just as I thought, she was there. Her beauty radiating all over the place. There she was…my angel. The only person…the only girl capable of making my heart skip a beat. The only girl capable of making my heart flutter. The only girl that can make me feel warm. The only girl I see myself in the future with. The only girl I really love.

 

But then she’s with someone. Someone else. Someone who isn’t me. Why is that? What does he have that I don’t?

 

Dean Smith was holding her hand and she was smiling at him. He tucked a lock of hair behind her ear, bent down and leaned over to press his lips on Kyesin’s lips.

 

My Kyesin. Mine!

 

My hand shook as it turned into fists again. My temper rose. How dare he?

 

He went out of the hotel and disappeared into the road as Kyesin waited in the lobby. I lost my mind. I grabbed her hand and pulled her.

 

“Kyuhyun?” she said. “Kyuhyun, what are you doing? Where are you bringing me? Kyuhyun! Stop it!”

 

I saw a janitor closet and pulled her inside. I locked the door and pushed her against it.

 

“Kyuhyun! What are you doing?!”

 

“Why did you let him do that?” I asked angrily as I held her wrists. “Why?”

 

“Do what?! Kyuhyun, you’re hurting me!” she said.

 

I let go of her wrists and cupped her face between my hands. “You promised me, Kye! You promised me! You promised me that these lips are mine only. MINE!”

 

I didn’t know what I was doing. I was so angry that I couldn’t control myself. I pressed my lips against hers, forcing her lips open with my tongue. She resisted at first but eventually gave in, kissing me back like we used to before.

 

I miss this. I miss everything about her. I miss the way she looks at me with her hazel eyes. I miss the way she holds me. I miss the way she kisses me. I miss the way she pulls herself close to me. I miss her.

 

My temper subsided and my kisses started to soften. As our lips parted, I kept my head on hers, gasping for air.

 

“He’s my boyfriend, Kyu…” she whispered softly. Her hands on my chest gently pushed me away.

 

“I want you back, Kyesin…” I muttered, finally admitting the truth I have been denying all these times. “You are the best thing that has ever happened to me. And right now…my life has been good. And that is all because of you. You pushed me to go down this path. I have everything I could ask for…everything but you…”

 

She shook her head. Her apologetic hazel eyes were looking for mine. “Kyu… I can’t… this isn’t right.”

 

“What does he have that I don’t?! Tell me! I have money. I probably work harder than he does. My looks aren’t that bad either!”

 

“Kyu… it’s not like that…”

 

My temper is rising again. “I don’t get it, Kye. What do you see in him, huh? You two just met and you’re already dating him? What? Did he satisfy you better than I did?” I spitted.

 

Park Kyesin gave my face a thick hard slap, the sound echoing throughout the room. “How could you say that, Kyuhyun?” she said, voice shaking. “What happened to you? You used to be the one defending me from people who think that low of me…but why are you one of them now? Dean has been my friend for almost seven years. He’s been courting me ever since but I keep turning him down because I’m still in love with you! But seeing how you’ve changed over these years, I decided to give him a chance. But mind this Kyuhyun: never did he once make a move on me. Never.” She unlocked the door and went outside. “I don’t know who you are anymore, Cho Kyuhyun,” she told me with a look I have never seen before – a look of utter disgust.

 

. What did I just do? I was supposed to win her back…but I did the exact opposite! I punched the door in anger. I AM ING STUPID!

 

“Go after her, Kyuhyun,” my subconscious suddenly reminded me.

 

My feet moved immediately, returning back to the lobby but I found her nowhere.

 

“So, it was you…” I suddenly heard someone say. I spun around. Dean Smith was standing behind me. “It was you who made her upset again.”

 

“Where is she?!” I demanded.

 

“She left already, but don’t bother going after her. She has a flight to catch for a business trip and won’t be home in a couple of days. But, in the mean time, will it be fine with you if I buy you a couple of drinks? I would like to talk to you about something… Her, actually,” he said.

 

“Why would I talk to you?!” I said.

 

“Because as her boyfriend, I don’t like it when someone makes her upset. You do understand how I feel, am I right? You were once in my shoes,” he said.

 

I breathed deeply to control my temper. “Fine,” I replied.

 

“Please follow me,” he said with an annoying smile.

 

We went to the bar in the hotel. It was a quiet bar, and only a few people were inside. We sat at a booth, opposite each other. He called the waiter. “Scotch for me, and for the gentleman a…?”

 

“Same,” I replied.

 

We were silently observing each other as we waited for our drinks. He looks what a businessman would look like. Reserved and behaved. He was incredibly polite, though he knows that I was the one responsible for upsetting Kyesin.

 

He took a sip from the glass after our drinks came before he started talking. “Like I said, I don’t like people who make my girlfriend upset. And I believe you have done so more than once already.”

 

“You know she’s still in love with me, right?” I smirked, just to .

 

He breathed deeply and put on a smile. “Yes, unfortunately, I do know that. But she has chosen me. I will never let this opportunity go to waste.” Damn. He knows how to answer. “So let me get straight to the point, since I know you despise me very much,” he continued. “If you’re just going to cause her pain and sadness, then please, stay away from her.”

 

“You can’t tell me what to do!” I gritted.

 

“Look, Mister Cho. I will do whatever it takes to protect her. And I won’t have second thoughts to keep her away from you if you keep doing this to her, do you understand?” he said. “I know you love her still… I know since I look at her the same way, and I have the same crazed eyes as you do, knowing there’s someone else in her life,” he chuckled bitterly. “But if you truly love her, this isn’t the way to show it.”

 

I was starting to see… I was starting to see why Kyesin would choose him. He is kind and patient. “I won’t give up,” I said firmly.

 

He chuckled and smiled smugly. “I’m not saying you should, Mr. Cho, and I do acknowledge you as my rival. But when the time comes that she can no longer handle the pain you’re inflicting on her, please expect that you will never see her again. I think you know very well that I can do that.”

 

“And if she chooses me again, I will see to it that she stays with me, got it?”

 

“I got it,” he nodded with a smirk.

 

“Well then, let the best man win.”

 

He stood up. “One more thing. If you kiss Kye forcefully again, I will see to it that you will never see her ever.”

 

My hands turned into fists again. “And if she wants me to kiss her? Or if she kisses me herself?”

 

He grimaced. “Well then I can’t do anything about that. But mark my words, Mister Cho. You may have connections here, but I have power. I will do whatever it takes to protect her. So please take this warning seriously. I will not destroy your image and career, if that is what you’re thinking. Kyesin loves you fulfilling your dreams perhaps more than anyone else. I will not do anything to upset her.” He took out his wallet and put down a couple of bills. “It was a good talk, Mister Cho. But if you will excuse me, I have a dinner to get back to.”

 

I finished my glass of scotch and then retreated back to the lobby only to find Siwon hyung looking at his phone worriedly.

 

“Hyung,” I called.

 

“Oh there you are! Where have you been?” he furrowed his thick brows are me. “Are you okay?”

 

“Yeah,” I looked away.

 

“Wanna go home now, or do you want to stay a bit? Kye isn’t at the hall anymore, though,” he said.

 

“Nah, let’s go,” I said.

 

I climbed on the passenger’s seat of Siwon hyung’s shiny Audi R8 Spyder. I quietly sat as he drove, looking outside the window.

 

“Kyuhyun, are you alright?” he asked, glancing at me from time to time.

 

“Yeah, I’m fine, hyung.”

 

“Did you get in a fight or something?” he asked.

 

I looked at him, surprised that he could tell just by looking at me. I sighed. “I don’t get why she chose him over me! What’s so good about him anyway?!”

 

Choi Siwon laughed. “Aigoo Kyuhyun. I thought you’ve grown up but it turns out you still haven’t. Do you know those playhouses filled with toys where parents leave their kids to play while they shop?”

 

“Yeah, what about it?”

 

“Well, Imagine when you’re playing with something. A really great toy. Then you put it down for a sec to give the other toys some attention. Then you see someone else with that toy you really liked. What do you do?” he asked.

 

“I don’t know… I guess I would want that toy back?” I suggested.

 

He glanced at me and smiled, showing off those dimples. “That’s you and him,” he said.

 

“Kyesin is not a toy,” I pressed.

 

He rolled his eyes at me. “That’s not the point of the analogy!”

 

“So you’re telling me that I’m jealous?”

 

“Exactly!” he nodded. “That’s why you’re so irritated at him. You want what he has. You want her back.”

 

“Hyung…”

 

“Listen to me for a second, okay? I can’t just sit around anymore, looking at you utterly dreadful thinking about what happened between the two of you. It happened, Kyu. You both love each other, you both got hurt, but the past is past, Kyuhyun. Get over it.”

 

I sighed. “Can you just please bring me to Henry’s? So that I could finally get things straight.”

 

“Kyuhyun…”

 

“Please, hyung. I need some peace of mind.” He sighed and turned the car round, going to Henry’s pad. He dropped me off worriedly. “I’ll take a cab home, thanks.”

 

I went up to Henry’s floor and then knocked on his door. A sleepy Henry with unruly and barely open eyes, and this is not an Asian thing, by the way, opened the door.

 

“Hyung? It’s 2 AM,” He rubbed his eyes.

 

“Can we talk?” I asked.

 

“Hyung? Can we just talk in the morning?”

 

“It’s about Kyesin,” I whispered.

 

He sighed. “Come in,” he opened the door for me.

 

“Is it true?” I asked. “Is he… Dean Smith… really her boyfriend now?”

 

He looked at me worriedly and hesitantly nodded his head. “Just recently, yes.”

 

“And did they really know each other for six years?” I asked.

 

“Yeah, around that time,” he said. I slumped down on his couch, defeated. “Hyung, I’m sorry I didn’t tell you. I just thought it wasn’t my… I wasn’t in the position to.”

 

“What can you tell me about him?”

 

“Who? dean? He and kye met in Stanford.  He’s a couple of years older than she is and they also worked together for some time. He follows her around since he cares a lot about her. In all honesty, Dean’s a saint, as far as I could tell. The hyungs would really get along him well. He really loves Kye as well.”

 

“Did she… Did she… Did she really leave because of me? Was it really my fault? Was I not receptive enough for her feelings? Did I really…Did I really not notice that she was struggling? Did she really… Was she really sick because of me? Did she really suffer because of me?” my voice was shaking and tears started filling up my eyes.

 

Henry sat beside me as my tears fell. His silence told me his answer. “Heechul hyung?”

 

I nodded. “Yeah…”

 

“I didn’t… I didn’t want to separate you two. I mean, you’re Kyu and Kye. You were the perfect couple… But I couldn’t stand to see her suffering for months, and I hated how she hid it from us. She’s like a sister to me, and I love her much more than I should. We all did, hyung,” he whispered.

 

“I saw her tonight…. With him… but whatever I do… I just make her upset… And I hate the guy… so much.”

 

He smiled at me. “Sounds to me that you want her back,” he said. “So if you do, you have to step up your game, hyung. Dean waited for a very long time for Kyesin to accept his feelings. I doubt he would give her up easily.”

 

I do… I want her back. So why, Kyesin? Why did you choose him over me? Why?

---------------------

Hey everyone! I posted the new chapter early since, as I've said last week, I'll be out the whole day tomorrow for an exam and a concert.

When I posted the previous chapter, I didn't realize that the way I wrote Kyuhyun in it would give much impact to all of you. I'd like you to know that I did not mean to write him that way and all of this is purely fictional so please do not let it, in any way, affect your view on Kyuhyun in real life. He is, still, my favorite idol, and I honestly think he is nowhere near the guy I've written in the previous chapter. I do believe that he is very kind, and I know for a fact that he treats women well. I mean, come on. Where else could you see a guy, almost in his thirties, kiss his mom on the lips in public and for the whole world to see? He's obviously a sweet guy, seeing how he treats his family very well.

In any case, I really do appreciate everyone who took their time to leave a comment. It helps me write better, and see? it made me realize that I may have portrayed Kyuhyun much worse than I had in mind.

Thank you everyone for reading this chapter. I'll be posting a new update next week, and I personally love that next chapter. It is, in fact, my favorite one I've written for this fic. I'm not sure why but I just like it. hihi

As usual, please do COMMENT your thoughts below. SUBSCRIBE & UPVOTE if you liked it!

Thank you all for reading! See you next week!!!

 

EVERYBODY HERE'S A GOOD SONG

The song I'm recommending this week is Zhou Mi's Half of Me from his latest album What's Your Number. The album didn't do quite well, probably because he had his comeback at a bad time, which I do not want to further elaborate here. But anyhow, I really really like this song. It's in Chinese, fyi. I think it's my favorite song from his album so I do recommend you to listen to it. I hope you like it too. I believe not many people have ever heard of it, unfortunately, but it's better late than never. (Please bear in mind that I am biased towards ballads and R&B songs :) )