The Better Part

Hate That I Love You

“Kyuhyun-ah, you have a visitor,” Eomma’s soft voice woke me up.

 

It was already Wednesday and I have been sick for four days now. Because I ran from Park Kyesin’s place to the bus stop and then to my house, I caught severe fever and colds. Until now I couldn’t move, and didn’t have the energy to.

 

“If it’s Ueno or Moonyoung or Jaehyun, tell them I’m not in the mood,” I said. I knew they’re just going to bug me about Kyesin.

 

“It’s not them,” eomma smiled.

 

“Sunbae,” Park Kyesin’s soft voice rang in my ear. And there she was, standing by my door in her uniform. I could feel the blood rushing to my cheeks. She’s. here. In. my. Room. And I was wearing my pajamas! My teddy bear pajamas!

 

“I’ll leave you two alone,” eomma smiled before closing the door.

 

“Thank you,” Kyesin bowed.

 

She turned to me. “How is sunbae feeling?” she asked, taking a step closer.

 

I wrapped myself in my blanket to hide the teddy bear pajama. “Don’t come closer. I’m sick,” I said.

 

She just laughed at me. “It’s fine, sunbae. I brought you soup… I’m on my way to school when I thought I should drop by and give you some,” she said.

 

“My house isn’t on the way to school,” I said.

 

“It isn’t, is it?” she smiled shyly. “I haven’t seen sunbae for days… I was afraid I upset you… But your friends told me you were sick. It’s my fault.”

 

“Ani!” I shook my head.

 

Kyesin sat on my bed and opened the thermos she brought. “Here, sunbae, have some soup,” she said, giving me the cap. I sat up and took it in my hands.

 

“Thank you,” I whispered before sipping.

 

“It’s nothing,” she smiled. “It’s the least I can do… I tried to catch up with sunbae… to give you an umbrella… but sunbae quickly disappeared.”

 

“Oh…” I whispered, embarrassed.

 

She looked at me, concerned, and placed her hand on my forehead. I shook at how cold it felt. “Sunbae shouldn’t have run out in the rain,” she pouted.

 

My heart jumped at how cute she looked. “Sorry,” I said.

 

“Oh! Teddy…” she muttered.

 

I realized that the blanket fell and my teddy bear pajama is exposed. I quickly covered it back.

 

She laughed – such a calming sound. “Ani, sunbae~ it’s cute.”

 

“I don’t want to be cute…”

 

She smiled at me again. “Sunbae, please don’t think about it too much. Sunbae should focus on getting better faster.”

 

I knew she was talking about my failed confession. “I’m sorry… I must’ve surprised you a lot,” I whispered apologetically.

 

“I like surprises anyway,” she chuckled. “Sunbae should be better by Saturday evening.”

 

“Why? Is there something I need to do in school?”

 

“Hmm… no…” she stood up and walked a little. She looked down at her feet. “I want to bring sunbae on a date,” she admitted shyly.

 

My heart was about to leap out of my chest. “You’re not mocking me, are you?”

 

She quickly shook her head. “I want to show sunbae something… something special…” she said. “So sunbae should get better soon if you want to come with me!”

 

I chuckled. “Okay then. I promise, I’ll try my best.”

 

She smiled at me. “If sunbae is better then, let’s meet at my building at 6pm. Wear something formal.”

 

“Okay, got it!” I smiled, overly excited.

 

She took her bag. “I better go to school now… I might run late. I hope you get better soon!”

 

“I will, I promise! Take care. See you soon! And thank you for the soup,” I said.

 

She opened the door. “And…oh… sunbae?”

 

“Yeah?” I asked.

 

She looked at me with her innocent hazel eyes and brought her lips into a wide smile. “I like you, too, sunbae,” she said before closing the door behind her.

 

I was frozen on my bed. I was stupid. I should’ve run after her. I should’ve confessed again – and this time, properly. I should’ve hugged her. I should’ve told her how she makes me feel. But no, I was stuck.

 

But I was happy. So happy. I was leaping for joy (metaphorically). My heart felt warm and my brain went fuzzy. I couldn’t stop smiling. I couldn’t stop replaying in my mind the moment she told me how she felt.

 

I lay on my bed, eager to get better at all costs. I have to go on that date.

 

 

 

I was a whole lot better by Saturday morning. My fever was gone but I still had a bit of a cold but it was manageable. Appa wouldn’t let me go at first since I have just recovered but I begged him to. Eomma was full support, of course. She already likes Kyesin the moment they met. She told me Kyesin was very nice and polite and she already wants Kye to be her daughter-in-law. I told eomma that we were just starting to date. When she heard about our date, she had my junior prom’s tuxedo dry cleaned and ready by Saturday.

 

“Kyu, just a little more,” eomma said as she fixed my hair.

 

“Eomma, it’s already good enough!” I complained.

 

“But you have to look really really good, don’t you?” she said.

 

“Eomma, I’ll be late!”

 

“Okay, okay! Where are you guys going anyway?” she asked.

 

“I don’t know… she just asked me to meet her at her place,” I said.

 

“Are you commuting wearing that?”

 

“I don’t know, eomma.”

 

She took her purse from her bag and gave me 20,000 won. “Here, take a cab. Don’t let her ride public transportation. And Don’t tell your father I gave you money, okay?”

 

I laughed. “Thanks eomma!” I gave her a hug.

 

I took the bus to her place, tapping my feet impatiently as the bus stopped every time it needed to load and unload passengers. I kept checking the time. I didn’t want to be late.

 

I arrived at her place at exactly 6 in the evening. I looked around in the lobby. She was nowhere in sight. Was I late? Did she think I haven’t recovered? Did she already leave?

 

No, Kyu. She’s still here. She likes you, remember? She’ll wait. I took a seat in one of the expensive leather chairs in the lobby as I waited.

 

Or maybe… I misheard what she said. Maybe she doesn’t really like me. I mean, not like I do. Like maybe as a friend?

 

And then, the elevator doors opened.

 

My heart stopped. I swear it did. When Park Kyesin walked out of the elevator with her -colored off-shoulder long dress, my breath was taken away. And when her hazel eyes found mine, my heart melted. Her face was painted with both relief and happiness.

 

I stood up. Her beauty was radiating. “Sunbae!” she walked excitedly towards me. “I knew you’ll recover quickly.”

 

“Well, you helped a lot,” I tried to flirt.

 

WHAT AM I SAYING?

 

She chuckled. “I’m glad I did.”

 

“You look really beautiful,” I said.

 

She smiled. “Thank you. Sunbae looks really handsome.”

 

I blushed. “Thanks…”

 

“So, shall we go? We might arrive late,” she said.

 

I nodded. “okay.” We walked outside the building. “Should we take a cab or…”

 

Then a shiny black limousine came rolling to a stop in front of us. Kyesin opened the door. “Are you coming?” she asked me before getting in.

 

“Yeah… yeah…” I said excitedly.

 

I’ve never been in a limousine before. It was so spacious and the seats were velvet. “uhm… may I know where we are going?”

 

She smiled at me. “Mozart.”

 

“Mozart?”

 

She nodded. “There’s this musical I’ve been dying to watch. It’s the very first musical I’ve watched…and it was when I was on vacation in Austria. And it was amazing. So when I heard they’re doing a version here, I had to go and see. I want you to watch with me.”

 

“Mozart, the musical? I know that! I’ve always wanted to watch a musical here,” I said.

 

“And now we are,” she chuckled.

 

“But the tickets are always so expensive… I couldn’t –“

 

“I already bought our tickets,” she grinned.

 

“Wait… What… But I can’t—“

 

“Sunbae, I asked you on a date. I bought it for us,” she said.

 

“But – “

 

“Sunbae!” she chuckled. “I want to buy it for us. Please.”

 

“Well, thank you…” I said.

 

We arrived at the venue after around 45 minutes. I could see now why we had to wear something formal. But Kyesin… Kyesin blends perfectly well with everyone. She looks extremely classy and elegant. We went inside the theater. Our seats were good. Not too near the stage, not too far as well. The acoustics were amazing.

 

I’ve never seen Park Kyesin so engrossed. And I have never been so. But the musical was spectacular. I haven’t heard anything of this caliber. The actor’s voices were so whole and the notes were so precise. There was so much emotion. Their acting was impressive and the orchestration… oh the orchestration was magnificent. I want to be there, on stage. I want to sing to everyone. I want to create an impact to people with my voice. I want to move people.

 

I want to be a singer.

 

Then it dawned on me…why Kyesin wanted to watch this musical with me. She was trying to help me realize my dreams…want I really want, and how bad I want it. She saw something in me that even I hadn’t seen, and brought it out.

 

When the musical ended, we were both overwhelmed by the excellent production. We were walking back to the exit in silence yet contended. I cautiously took her hand.

 

“Thank you,” I said as I laced my fingers with hers.

 

She looked up at me, a bit shocked by my sudden act, but then smiled a few seconds later. “For what?” she asked.

 

“For bringing me here,” I replied with a smile.

 

“Oh…” she chuckled. “I hope sunbae can be one of those too. I want to see sunbae perform just like Mozart… I know you can do it.”

 

“I want to become like him too… Mozart…” I admitted. “He was really good, wasn’t he?”

 

“He was excellent,” she giggled.

 

I pulled my hand away. Kyesin looked at me, surprised with a hint of sadness in her eyes. But I smiled at her reassuringly, took off my coat and placed in on her shoulders. “It’s cold,” I whispered. My heart felt warm again.

 

“Oh no, I’m fine. Sunbae should take this. You haven’t fully recovered, have you?”

 

Oh… she noticed. “No, take it,” I laughed. I put my hand back on hers. “I have your hand to keep me warm.”

 

WHAT THE HELL WAS I SAYING……………..

 

But she took it well. Her cheeks were painted red and she looked down on the floor shyly. “Thank you.”

 

The limousine fetched us again and we drove back home in silence. But this time, I sat close to her, still holding her hand. My heart was frantically beating. I know my cheeks should be red now.

 

Kyesin’s head suddenly leaned on my shoulder. I looked at her and found that she was asleep. Oh my heart fluttered seeing her like that. She looked so serene. Carefully, with my free hand, I tried to brush my hair. What was this I’m feeling? Is this what they call ‘love’? I don’t know yet… But I really really like it.

 

When the limousine stopped in front of her building, she was still fast asleep. “Kyesin,” I whispered. “You’re home.”

 

Her beautiful eyes fluttered open and she sat up straight. “Sorry…” she mumbled.

 

“It’s fine, don’t worry,” I chuckled.

 

She looked at me. I like how she still kept her hand in mine. “Sunbae, it’s late. I’ll have the driver bring you home.”

 

“Oh, no, it’s okay. I can take the bus from here,” I said.

 

She shook her head. “It’s dangerous and it’s cold. I don’t want you to get sick again. I miss seeing you in school…” she admitted shyly.

 

“Okay,” I nodded. “Thank you.”

 

She put the black barrier down between the passengers and the driver. “Fred, please bring Kyuhyun home. You already know his address. We went there last Wednesday morning. Thank you,” she said in her British accent. I haven’t heard her speak English before and hearing her speak now sounded like music to my ears.

 

“Yes, Madame,” the driver responded in his heavy British accent. I didn’t notice it before but it was the same driver that was with James when they fetched her after the concert.

 

Kyesin looked back at me. “Sunbae, his name is Fred. He only speaks a little Korean, but he’s sure to drive you home.”

 

“Alright, thank you very much.”

 

“Thank you for today, sunbae…” she smiled. “I had a lot of fun.”

 

“Me too,” I nodded.

 

Her fingers were still laced with mine. I didn’t want to let go. As I stared at her hazel eyes, I begin to have the urge to kiss her… Her face is so close to mine. It was only a matter of leaning in.

 

“I should go now… It’s getting late. Please apologize to your parents for me for keeping you for long,” she said.

 

“I don’t think eomma minds but I will relay the message,” I chuckled.

 

“So I’ll see you in school. Good night, sunbae. Take care,” she smiled at me before opening the door.

 

“Hey Kye?” I said, still holding her hand. It was the first time I called her by her nickname.

 

“Yes, sunbae?”

 

I breathed deeply and my heart was fluttering. I could already feel my cheeks burning. “I really really really liked going out with you tonight…” I looked into her hazel eyes. “I really really really like you.”

 

She smiled at me. Her eyes were warm and contented. “I really like sunbae too. Very much.”

 

I squeezed her hand. My heart was pounding. I want to kiss her.

 

“Is it okay if I take you on a date again? But this time I’ll ask properly,” I asked.

 

She laughed. “Of course, sunbae.”

 

“So, I guess I’ll see you on Monday?”

 

“Mhm,” she nodded. “Good night sunbae.”

 

“Good night, Kyesin. Sweet dreams,” I said before finally letting go of her hand.

 

I leaned back, blissful, as the limousine drove to my house.

 

Am I in love?

 

 

 

 

“Yah! Cho Kyuhyun!” I heard someone call me.

 

“What?” I turned.

 

Ueno raised an eyebrow at me. “I’ve called you five times already! Help me with this!”

 

I groaned and stood up. I tore off the leaves from the oregano plant for our research project.

 

“What’s up with you?” Ueno asked.

 

“Why do we have to do this at lunch time?” I asked.

 

“Well we don’t have other free time today, Kyuhyun. We have training later, remember?”

 

“He wants to stalk Park Kyesin,” Moonyoung smirked. “He finally found out where she stays.”

 

Ueno laughed. “You can stalk her when we’ve put these into the Soxhlet apparatus,” he said.

 

“Hey Kyu,” Jaehyun said. “I heard she likes someone.” I froze. What if they know already?

 

“What? How did you find out?” Ueno asked.

 

“Apparently Jonhee asked her to prom last Friday,” Jaehyun said.

 

My head snapped up. Jonhee is this arrogant batchmate of ours. “What?!”

 

“Yeah. It was after classes. Only a few people got to see. Of course, Jonhee was confident as ,” Jaehyun rolled his eyes.

 

“Did she say yes?” Moonyoung asked my unspoken question.

 

Jaehyun shook his head and laughed. “I’m glad she didn’t. That guy deserved it. But she said she already likes someone that’s why she is saying no.”

 

“Oh…” my lips uncontrollably turned up into a smile. Did she reject him because of me?

 

“Who do you think is the guy she likes?” Moonyoung asked.

 

“You know, my bet is on the guy who fetched her after the concert. The foreigner,” Ueno said.

 

Wrong.

 

“OH yeah, that makes sense,” Moonyoung asked.

 

Very wrong.

 

Jaehyun looked at me. I tried to keep my composure. “What do you think Kyu?”

 

“I think it isn’t him,” I simply said. I walked to the analytical balance to weigh my leaves and record it in our logbook.

 

Ueno laughed. “Okay, if you say so.”

 

“Well whoever he is, he is one lucky guy,” Moonyoung said.

 

Correct. Very lucky.

 

I wrapped my oregano leaves in filter paper and inserted it to the middle piece of the Soxhlet. I put ethanol on the third piece and installed my Soxhlet, putting it on the metal holder and connecting the tubes for water to flow. I put it up to 79°C.

 

“I’ll go ahead,” I said.

 

I quickly put my things back in the classroom, got my lunchbox and ran to the library. I went to the textbook section and felt relief when I saw Park Kyesin in her usual spot, reading.

 

“Hi… sorry, I’m late…” I said.

 

She laughed. “Sunbae, it’s alright.”

 

“Mhm… Do you really need to read today?” I asked.

 

“Wae, sunbaenim?” she asked.

 

“Hmm… let’s go on a date…” I said shyly.

 

“Now?” she asked.

 

I nodded. “Sorry, we don’t have much time left. I had to do something for our research paper and—“

 

She stood up and smiled. “Okay, sunbae. Let’s go.”

 

“Really?”

 

She nodded. “Come on. We only have 20 minutes left.”

 

“Follow me,” I smiled.

 

I led her to the rooftop. Only a few students in this school know about this place, and most of us were students who stay late due to contest trainings, so I knew it would most probably empty.

 

“This is a secret place so don’t tell about this to anybody, okay?” I said.

 

She nodded. “Okay.” I opened the door. Her face immediately brightened. “Sunbaenim! It’s beautiful here!” She ran to the edge and looked over the view.

 

I set up the blanket I brought for us to sit on. She looked back at me. “Sandwich?” I offered.

 

She chuckled and sat beside me. “Thank you,” she said and took the sandwich from me.

 

“I…uh… I made it myself,” I said shyly.

 

She took a bite cheerfully. She looked really cute. “Gomawo, sunbae. It’s really good!”

 

“Thank you…” I replied. I was blushing again.

 

I reached for her hand. She let me lace my fingers with her. She placed her head on my shoulder, closing her eyes.

 

“It’s really nice here,” she whispered. “Thank you for bringing me to this place.”

 

“It’s really nice, isn’t it?” I said.

 

“Yes,” she nodded. “This is nice,” she squeezed my hand.

 

“I haven’t told my friends about…us…” I said.

 

“Hmm,  that’s fine,” she chuckled. “It isn’t really a big deal for me… But I am worried for sunbae.”

 

“Me? Why?” I asked, putting my head on top of hers.

 

“Hmm… I overheard some junior sunbaes the other day… they were talking about oppa, my brother… they assumed I had a relationship with him just like you… but the way they talked about him… I don’t want it to happen to you too,” she said, looking at me.

 

I brushed her hair back. “I’m sorry you had to hear them.”

 

She smiled at me. “You shouldn’t say sorry… It’s not your fault.”

 

“Do you think it will be difficult for us when people find out?” I asked.

 

She nodded. “Sunbae has girls who like you too,” she laughed.

 

“well then we have to keep this a secret for a while,” I grinned at her.

 

“Whatever you think is best,” she put her head back on my shoulder.

 

I chuckled. “Okay then.” I then placed my head on top of hers again. “Let’s do this every day… if it’s alright with you.”

 

“As long as I have nothing to do,” she smiled.

 

I smiled; my heart fluttered. “I really like you, Kyesin.”

 

 

 

“Kyuhyun-ah,” Ueno called. “We’ll go ahead! Eomma wants me back early.”

 

“Alright!” I said as I fixed my things. We had training for the upcoming Math Olympiad today so we stayed quite late. I went back to my classroom to get a notebook I forgot from my desk. The school is empty and the corridors are crazy silent, almost deafening.

 

I am not a coward or anything but it felt weird and creepy to be walking alone in the corridors so I ran back to my classroom and got the notebook I need. Suddenly, a burst of thunder echoed through the school. It was going to rain. It was a good thing I brought an umbrella.

 

Ah… the rain… it holds such a special memory. My heart flutters even as I think about it.

 

I walked quickly out of the school building. But there… there she was… my sunshine.

 

Park Kyesin stuck her hand out in the rain. She looked up the sky worriedly. She took a deep breath before stepping in.

 

I ran to her side and opened my umbrella. “You should really start bringing an umbrella,” I chuckled.

 

She looked at me. “Sunbae,” she smiled. It was a smile so breathtaking.

 

“I’ll walk you home,” I said.

 

“Thank you,” she nodded. She then grinned at me and held my arm.

 

“So, Miss Park, what are you doing this late in school?” I asked.

 

“Hmm… Training.”

 

“For?”

 

“Chemistry, Physics and Biology Contests,” she answered.

 

“All those?” I laughed.

 

“Yup,” she nodded with a laugh.  “Sunbae has Math Olympiad training today, right?”

 

“Yeah… Are you tired?” I asked.

 

“Just a little. How about you?”

 

“Hmm… I was… But seeing you made me feel better,” I said.

 

She chuckled. “I’m glad I made you feel better.”

 

“Don’t I make you feel better?”

 

Her cheeks turned red. She looked at her feet. “Sunbae… Seeing sunbae always makes me happy,” she admitted in a small voice.

 

I looked at her. “You really look cute when you get shy.”

 

“Oh…” she said, scratching her head a little.

 

“Cute.” I placed my head on top of hers. We walked in silence for a while before I decided to speak again. “I heard Jonhee asked you to prom.”

 

“Ah… Yes, he did.”

 

“What did you say?” I asked, even though I already know the answer.

 

She looked at me. “No, of course!”

 

“Wae?” I smiled.

 

“Because I like sunbae…” she said like it was such an obvious reason.

 

I smiled widely at her. “Oh… I see.”

 

She pouted at me. “You just wanted to hear me say it…”

 

“Yes,” I chuckled. “Aigoo, you’re really cute.”

 

She breathed deeply and held my arm tighter. She leaned her head on my arm as we walked.

 

“Thank you for walking me home,” she said as we arrived at her building.

 

I nodded. “You’re welcome. I…uh… I better go,” I said but held her hand.

 

“Okay,” she said, holding my hand tighter.

 

“I’ll see you tomorrow…at the rooftop,” I said.

 

“I’ll bring food for you too,” she smiled.

 

“Alright.”

 

“Ah… sunbae should be off now. It’s really late,” she said.

 

“Ah… I want to hold your hand longer…but appa will get mad if I get home late,” I said. I let go of her hand and brushed her hair. “I’ll go now… see you tomorrow.”

 

“Ne. Take care, sunbae,” she said before turning around.

 

“Ah… Kyesin?”

 

“Ne, sunbae?”

 

I breathed deeply. I took one step closer and kissed her cheek. “Good night.”

 

Her wide hazel eyes stared at me in shock. I bit my lip and turned around, walking away quickly. My heart wouldn’t stop fluttering.

 

I got home in time before my father did. Eomma was washing the dishes in the kitchen. Giddy, I went to her and hugged her from behind.

 

“Eomma~” I said, heart fluttering.

 

“Oh, Kyuhyunnie, you’re home,” she smiled. I have always been a momma’s boy.

 

“Eommaaaa…” I could feel my cheeks burning.

 

“What’s wrong, my son?”

 

“Nothing, eomma… Everything is good.”

 

I’m in love.

 

 

 

 

Kyesin’s hand feels warm in mine. We were walking the park, looking for a good spot to have a picnic. We were each holding our own baskets. It has been two weeks since we first ate lunch together, and we’ve have been doing so every day after that, as long as we were both free. I decided a few days earlier to have a picnic – a proper one – with her so here we are.

 

We were taking it easy. We weren’t rushing anything and just enjoying the company of each other. Neither of us had told anyone that we’re dating. Well except my family. And perhaps her brother too. But we were fine with it. She was happy as long as she gets to spend time with me.

 

Our relationship is slowly progressing. We’ve been holding hands as much as we can when we’re together. Still, I haven’t hugged her but my hands are tingling to. I just couldn’t find the right time. As for kisses, well, she hasn’t kissed me yet. I’ve only kissed her cheek a few times when we part ways. Of course, I’d like to know how it would feel to kiss her lips. But then again, like I said, we weren’t rushing things.

 

We found a spot, quiet yet it had a great view of the park. I set up the blanket as she prepared our food.

 

“I brought sandwiches,” I said.

 

“Me too,” she laughed. We each brought our own food but agreed that I was eating what she brought and she was eating mine. I enlisted my mother’s help since I didn’t really know how to cook. When she heard I was going out with her, she was excited, even perhaps more than me.

 

I was stuffed after eating what she brought for me. She looked absolutely happy with the food I brought for her. And I like how she isn’t picky with food. She doesn’t care about the price or eating too much. She loves eating as much as I do.

 

I lay on the ground to rest. I closed my eyes and enjoyed the cool autumn breeze. I felt Kyesin lay beside me. She laced her fingers with mine.

 

“Ah.. I’m full~” she said.

 

I opened my eyes and smiled at her. I leaned my head on hers. I lifted our hands together and looked how beautiful they are. I brought it to my lips and gave her hand a deep kiss. I looked back at her. Her hazel eyes were sparkling. “you’re beautiful,” I whispered.

 

She smiled at me. She used her free hand to brush my hair. “Sunbae, you’re really handsome, too.”

 

I chuckled. “Really? Don’t you think I need double eyelids surgery?”

 

“Hmm… if you want to have it then it’s really fine with me.”

 

I smiled at her, brushing her wavy brown hair away from her face. “You’re an amazing lady, Kyesin,” I said.

 

She chuckled. She tucked herself in my chest and closed her eyes. “You’re so warm…” she whispered.

 

My heart is about to leap out of my chest. I carefully brush her hair as I enjoyed this moment. We fell silent for quite some time.

 

“I’m happy that I met you, sunbae. And I’m very happy that I’m dating you,” she said before looking at me with her hazel eyes. She took a deep breath before tucking herself in again. “Sunbae…” she whispered.

 

“Yeah?”

 

“My parents are gone…” she whispered. “My real parents…”

 

My heart instantly broke for her. “I’m sorry.”

 

“They died when I was around five,” she continued. “Car crash. They were on their way back home from a party when a truck hit their car… I was sick that time so I wasn’t with them. I was supposed to be with them… I used to live in Italy. Our house was beautiful. The backyard was a vineyard. I used to run around there and helped out when it was harvest time. When they passed away, my godfather adopted me since both my parents were the only children and I had no other relatives. He was nice though, my godfather. He’s kind and generous. He was my father’s best friend. But since he lives in England, I had no choice but to leave my home in Italy. Don’t get me wrong. England is very beautiful too, but not like Italy.”

 

“And so you met James,” I said.

 

“Yes,” she nodded. “He was very good to me. He didn’t have a mother growing up as well. She died giving birth to him so he knew me better than anyone else. My first few months with them were difficult. They treated me like their own, though, but it was hard for a five year old to keep up with all that was happening. My step father was busy with work so I was always with James and Fred, my driver. I don’t like calling him butler. I missed my parents a lot, I had trouble making friends, and I was sad most of the time. But James helped me. He helped me a lot. He introduced me to music, made me take lessons so that I could make use of my emotions in a different yet productive and positive way. I immediately liked it though. I took piano and violin lessons after school. I thought I was going to be fine… Until, the anniversary of their death came and I was back to square one. So James decided to cheer me up. He brought me to an ice skating rink and we skated. He made me feel a whole lot better. From then on, every year, on the day of the anniversary of their death we skated. James… we don’t share an ounce of blood, but he is like a brother to me.”

 

“The day we met…” I whispered. “Was that…”

 

She nodded. “It was their death anniversary then… I wanted to skate but I was afraid to skate alone.” She then looked at me. Her hazel eyes were watery. “But sunbae kept me company and skated with me. You made me happy and cheered me up. That’s why from then forth, you have been a special person to me.”

 

As I looked into her hazel eyes, I then understood why she was sad that day…why her eyes turn melancholic whenever I would ask her about her family and her home. I want to make her smile. I don’t like to see her like this again.

 

“I haven’t told anyone about this…” she whispered. “But I trust sunbae, and I like you a lot…so I wanted to tell you more about me.”

 

“Thank you,” I said, kissing her forehead. I wiped the tears that fell from her eyes with my fingers. She looked sad again, but now with a hint of relief. I smiled at her. “Do you want to get ice cream?” I asked.

 

She smiled sheepishly and nodded. “I would like that.”

 

We stood up and I packed the things we used. She took her basket and started walking. Seeing her cry made my heart hurt as if I was the one in pain. For such an early age, it must’ve been tough for her to go through that. I don’t know what got into me but I put my basket down and ran to her, taking her in my arms.

 

My heart fluttered as I embraced her tight. “I’m sorry, Kye…” I whispered. “I’m sorry you had to go through that. But from now on, I don’t want you to cry. I don’t want you to be sad anymore. I promise I’ll try to make you smile always. I will always be here for you. Thank you. For trusting me.”

 

She turned around to face me, tears flowing down her face. “Thank you,” she said before hugging me back. “Thank you…”

 

I cupped her face between my hands and wiped her tears away. Her hazel eyes looked at me, now full of relief and contentment. Her hands were now at my chest, pulling me close by my coat. My heart wouldn’t stop leaping. I could feel my cheeks burning. But I couldn’t control myself anymore.

 

“I love you,” I said loud and clear. I bent down and placed my lips on hers.

 

My heart is about to explode. My brain went fuzzy and I couldn’t control my body anymore. Her lips on mine is driving me crazy. Her lips tasted delicious…addictive… I pulled her even closer to deepen the kiss.

 

I love you, Park Kyesin.

---------------

Hey everyone! Here's the update.

Thank you for reading. Please COMMENT your thoughts below, and SUBSCRIBE and UPVOTE if you liked it!

See you all next week. :)