Once Were Lovers - Chapter 9

Once Were Lovers

Sungyeol's eyes widened in surprise upon hearing Mori's words.  He glanced at Woohyun who was busy eating his ice cream and did not seem to care much about the conversation going on.

"Your uncle Woohyun was a cop?" he asked, turning his attention back to the child.

Mori nodded but his smile slowly disappeared.  "But some bad people hurt him," the child added with a sad expression upon his face.  "That's why uncle Sunggyu said we have to take care of him so the bad people can't hurt him anymore."


By the time they arrived back home, Sungjong was already there to greet them at the door with the puppy in his arms.  Woohyun and Mori immediately ran over to him and played with the puppy.  Sungjong handed them the puppy before turning to look at Sungyeol.

"You must be Sungyeol," he said.  "Sunggyu rang and told me you were bringing them home but I was expecting you much earlier."

"Oh yeah, we stopped for lunch," said Sungyeol.  "You are..?"

"I'm Sungjong, their caretaker."


After leaving Woohyun and Mori in the hands of Sungjong, Sungyeol made his way to headquarters.  He entered the building and went straight down the hallway to the chief's office.  He quickly knocked on the door and without waiting for a response, opened it and stepped inside.

The man behind the desk took his eyes off the computer screen to glance at the door.  "Ever heard of knocking?"

"I did," said Sungyeol as he approached the desk.

The man frowned.  "What are you doing here?  You've been nagging for some days off so I gave you some and now you're here."

"There's something I need to ask you," he replied.

The man raised his eyebrows, waiting for him to speak.

"What happened to Sunggyu's previous partner?" Sungyeol asked.

The man was a little surprised by his question.  "Why are you asking all of a sudden?"

"Was it Nam Woohyun?" Sungyeol added, ignoring the man's question.

"Sunggyu told you?" the man asked, surprised that Sunggyu would tell anyone about this.  He had never known Sunggyu to be the talkative type.

"Not exactly," Sungyeol admitted with slight hesitation.  "What happened to him?"

The man let out a deep sigh.


After tucking Mori into bed, Sungjong returned to the living room and found Woohyun still sitting on the sofa, holding the puppy in his arms.

"Woohyun, you should go to bed too," said Sungjong.

Woohyun shook his head, refusing to move.  "Waiting for Sunggyu."

Sungjong sighed.  "Sunggyu won't be coming home tonight," he explained.  "He needs to stay at the hospital so the doctor can make him better.  You want him to get better, don't you?"

Woohyun nodded.  "I want Sunggyu to get better."

"Then you have to be a good boy and go to bed," Sungjong insisted.

Woohyun contemplated a moment before finally nodding his head.  Just as he got up from the sofa, they heard the front door ring.  Woohyun's eyes lit up and he ran to open the door before Sungjong could stop him.

"Sunggyu!" Woohyun exclaimed.

The door was pushed open from the outside, causing Woohyun to stumble back.  He looked at the four masked men armed with swords.  Before he could react, one of them grabbed his arm.

"Woohyun!" Sungjong shouted as he rushed over, only to have two of the men block his path.


Sungyeol pulled up outside Sunggyu's home just as a black car took off.  He did not think much of it until he walked up the path leading up to the entrance and found the front door left open.  He quickly rushed inside to find Sungjong on the floor bleeding from defensive wounds.

"Hey, what happened?" Sungyeol asked, helping the young man up.

"They took Woohyun," said Sungjong.

The image of the car flashed through Sungyeol's mind and he immediately ran out the door.