Once Were Lovers - Final Chapter

Once Were Lovers

Their swords clashed once again sending sparks in the air.  The masked rider looked at his opponent.  He had not intended to be held back this long.  He had underestimated the young man standing before him.  Sunggyu was badly wounded and he knew that he could not afford to waste more time here.

Sungjong smirked, seemingly enjoying the entertainment that this rider was giving him.  There was nothing more exciting than meeting a worthy opponent.

In an attempt to end the battle which had dragged on too long, the rider brought his sword down with a mighty swing.  The force caught Sungjong by surprise as it knocked him off balance .  The rider knocked the sword out of Sungjong's hand and followed through with a quick succession of attacks.  Sungjong was unable to defend without his sword and was finally brought down by the rider.  The rider quickly took off and Sungjong was about to give chase until Myungsoo stopped him.

"That's enough," Myungsoo ordered.  "You're no match for him."


Seeing the men close in on them, Sunggyu gathered what little strength he had left and forced himself to get up.  He could not let Woohyun and Mori die.  Even as his blood gushed out with each difficult movement, he was determined to protect them.

Despite Sunggyu trying to push him away, Woohyun clung onto the older man, refusing to let go.

"You need to go," said Sunggyu.  "Take Mori...run as far as you can."

Woohyun shook his head while tears strolled down his face.

"No one's leaving here," said one of the men.  "We'll send you all off together!"

Without warning, a sword plunged straight at them.  Sunggyu pushed Woohyun aside, out of harm's way as he prepared for his final moment.  He had no strength left to resist.  He was willing.  Willing to die for Woohyun.  He closed his eyes, waiting for the end.

"Sunggyu!" Woohyun shouted.

And then there was silence.

Sunggyu opened his eyes and found himself staring at Woohyun's back.  His eyes widened in horror when he saw a pool of blood on the floor at Woohyun's feet.  It was only when the man pulled out his sword from Woohyun's chest did Sunggyu realise what had happened. 

Sunggyu felt his heart break into a million pieces when Woohyun collapsed into his arms.  He saw the wound on Woohyun's chest and immediately placed his hand over Woohyun's heart to stop the bleeding.  No matter how many times Sunggyu called his name, Woohyun remained unresponsive.  Sunggyu glanced at Mori who sat crying beside them.

"Run," he whispered to the child.

The tears strolled down the child's face.  "What about you and Uncle Woohyun?"

Sunggyu smiled, a bitter smile.  "Go find help."

Mori nodded and ran out the door. 

The men did not seem in any rush to pursue the child.  They knew he would not get far.


Mori ran aimlessly in the night.  He had to find help to save his uncle Woohyun and uncle Sunggyu but where would he find help in such a place.  In his panic, he tripped and fell over but rather than cry, he picked himself up and continued on until he bumped into a masked figure.  Mori panicked and took several steps back as the masked figure approached him with the sword in his hand.

Realising that the child was frightened of him, the masked figure took off his mask.  "Mori, it's me."

Mori's eyes widened in surprise when he realised that he recognised the man standing before him.  "Mr Jang?"

"Where's Sunggyu?"


Sunggyu held Woohyun in his arms and made no attempt to escape as the blades rained down on them.  This was the end for him.  He accepted his fate but his only regret was implicating Woohyun all in this mess.

Agonising screams filled the air.

Sunggyu remained as he was as the men surrounding them fell one by one.  Help had arrived but it was a moment too late.

 

 

 

 

The End.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's note:

Thanks for reading.  Hope you've all managed to work out what was going on.