Once Were Lovers - Chapter 17

Once Were Lovers

Two figures stood on the rooftop of a high rise building, observing the night scenery below.

The old man dressed in an overcoat took a puff of his cigar.  "The Sanho clan are starting to become a thorn in my eye," he said.  "I need them to disappear."

The younger figure standing beside him nodded.  "I will take care of it."

The old man smiled with satisfaction.  "Having an inside man to take care of things sure is handy.  I'll leave it to you then."

The younger man lowered his head as the old man took his leave.  He waited several minutes before following the same path as the old man.  Just as he reached for the door, he sensed that he was not alone.  Without warning, he drew out his gun and turned around, aiming it at whoever it was.

His eyes widened in surprise when he recognised the person standing there staring at him with the saddest eyes.  Eyes that were almost on the brink of tears.
"Woohyun?" he said in disbelief as he slowly lowered his gun.  "What are you doing here?"  And then the realisation hit him.  If Woohyun had been hiding here all along, then he would have heard everything.

Woohyun's face was a mask of hurt and confusion.  "Why?  Why were you with the leader of the Gushin clan?"

He was quiet, not knowing what to say.  He knew that Woohyun knew yet the younger one still asked as if wanting him to deny it.

"Is it true then?" Woohyun continued solemnly.  "That you're working for them?"

He looked a Woohyun in silence for a moment, neither confirming nor denying the accusations.  "How did you know to come here?"

"Last night, I overheard your phone conversation," Woohyun admitted.  "I was hoping that I was wrong but..."

"But now you know," he interjected.

"It's not too late for you to stop," Woohyun pleaded, but his words fell on deaf ears.  He finally sighed in defeat.  "I'm sorry," he said softly as he headed for the door.  "But I can't let you continue to do this."

Woohyun barely took several steps before he came to a stop when he felt the nozzle of a gun pressed to the back of his head.  He closed his eyes, trying to hold back the tears.

With his gun in his hand, he tried to persuade Woohyun.  He did not want for things to end this way.  "Promise me that you will forget everything you heard tonight."

Woohyun opened his eyes but did not turn around to face him.  "You know I can't do that," Woohyun replied.  "My sister and her husband were killed by the Gushin clan, leaving behind their young son.  The Gushin clan must be stopped."

"Why must you be so righteous?" he asked bitterly.

Silent tears began strolling down Woohyun's face.  He was glad that he did not turn around.  He did not want the man he loved to know how much he was suffering.  To save the man he loved, he was prepared to make a bet with his life.  "If you want to stop me, then you'll have to shoot me."

"Woohyun, don't make me do this," he warned, almost pleadingly.

Woohyun ignored his words and continued towards the door.

"Woohyun!" he called out desperately, wanting the younger man to stop.  "Don't do this, Woohyun!"

"I'm sorry," Woohyun whispered under his breath as tear strolled down his face.

And then a gun shot rang out.

Woohyun smiled, a bitter smile before collapsing to the ground.

He stood frozen as his lover fell before his eyes.  It took him a moment to realise what he had done.  He rushed over to only to hear the sound of the door opening.

A figure emerged from the door and stepped out onto the rooftop. 

He stood hidden as he watched the figure approach Woohyun, holding him in his arms.  His eyes burned with rage when he recognised who it was.  A man he hated with all his being.  A man who had told him that he was interested in Woohyun and would fight for him.

"Woohyun!" the figure screamed, holding Woohyun in his arms. 

Seeing the one he loved covered in blood, he was overcome with grief.  He did not sense the danger from behind until it was too late.  A shot rang out.  A split second later, he felt the bullet rip through his flesh and pierced through his chest.

He glared at his attacker.  "You...you did this to him?"

"He's mine!" declared his attacker.  "How dare you touch him!"

"If you love him so much, why would you shoot him? he asked angrily.

His attacker smirked.  "I would rather destroy him then let you have him."

"You're insane, Kim Sunggyu!"