Once Were Lovers - Chapter 20

Once Were Lovers

Sunggyu gripped the sword in his hand and immediately stepped in front of Woohyun as if to shield him.  He looked at Mori and noticed that the old man had his arm on the child's shoulder, preventing him from moving. 

"Boss," Sunggyu greeted the old man reluctantly.  "What are you doing here?"

The old man smiled cunningly.  "All these years playing a cop, did you think you were one?"

Sunggyu kept his head down and remained silent.

"But as you have served me well all these years, I am willing to let you go," said the old man as he walked towards the door.

Sunggyu raised his head and looked at the old man in surprise.

No longer being held down by the old man, Mori immediately got up.  The child had barely taken a step when Sunggyu noticed one of the men raising his sword behind Mori.  Sunggyu rushed over and pulled Mori out of the way before just as the sword swept past their heads.

"Mori, are you okay?" Sunggyu asked as he glanced the child over for injuries.

The frightened boy held onto Sunggyu, who wrapped him in his arms.

Sunggyu turned his head and glared at the old man.

The old man smiled.  "I said I would let you go," he stated.  "But I didn't say I would let them go."  He looked at his men.  "Kill them!" he ordered as he walked out the door.

The men charged at them with weapons in their hands.  Sunggyu pushed Woohyun and Mori aside and held out the sword in his hand.  If they wanted to get to Woohyun and Mori, they would have to kill him first.

Woohyun and Mori could only watch helplessly as Sunggyu fought against the group of men.  No mater how strong Sunggyu was, he was outnumbered and wounded.  He was at a disadvantage.  The harder he fought, the more blood gushed out from the wound on his back.  Seeing how much blood Sunggyu was spilling for their sake, Woohyun and Mori cried but was unable to do anything to help.

Whilst the majority of the men targeted Sunggyu, two of the men shift their attention to Woohyun and Mori.  With swords at the ready, the two men rushed over and struck their swords at the helpless boys.

Even if he was in pain, even if his strength was weakening, Sunggyu immediately turned his back, opening himself up to his attackers.  Several blades slashed at his unguarded back yet he paid no attention to it.  He rushed over just in time to block the two blades which came crashing down at the boys.

With the three blades locked in a battle of strength, another man charged forward and ran his sword through Sunggyu's chest.  Sunggyu gritted his teeth to stop himself from screaming out in agony but he could not stop the blood pouring out from his mouth.

"Sunggyu!"  Woohyun and Mori cried out in horror when they saw the blade protruding out from Sunggyu's back.

Sunggyu felt his consciousness slipping away.  When the man pulled out the blade from his body, Sunggyu fell back a Woohyun rushed forward to catch him.  Sunggyu lay in Woohyun's arms, his body drenched in his own blood. 

"Sunggyu..." Woohyun cried.  "There's so much blood."  His tears refused to stop as he placed his hands over Sunggyu's chest until his hands were covered in blood.  "Sunggyu...it won't stop."

Sunggyu did not want to see Woohyun's tears.  He wanted to reassure the boy that he was alright but he barely had the strength to speak as blood continued to gush out from his mouth.

"Sunggyu, don't die," Woohyun pleaded in tears.  "You promised."

Sunggyu could only look at Woohyun with deep regret.  Sorry, looks like I'm a liar after all.