Once Were Lovers - Chapter 1

Once Were Lovers

"Sunggyu!"

He jolted back to reality when he heard his name.  He turned his head to look at the young man sitting beside him.  It took him a moment to realise where he was and what he was doing.

"Are you okay?" the young man asked with furrowed brows.

"I'm fine," he replied, brushing the matter aside.  He glanced up ahead and caught sight of the three cars that had just pulled up outside the warehouse.  "They're here," he announced as he drew out his gun.


The child sat waiting patiently while hugging his teddy bear.  All the other children's parents had already come to pick them up and he was the only one left.  He was always the last one to leave but today was later than usual.  When he glanced outside the window and saw that the day had turned to night, a sad pout formed upon his face.

The teacher glanced at the clock with concern before turning his attention to the remaining child on the floor.  "It's okay, Mori," said the teacher, trying to comfort the child.  "I'm sure your uncle's just busy.  He'll be here soon."

The child nodded with a sad face until he heard a familiar voice.

"I'm so sorry," spoke the man.

The child looked towards the door.  His face beamed with a bright smile as he quickly rushed over to the man.  "Uncle Sunggyu!"

The man took the child in his arms and hugged him.  "I'm so sorry for being late, Mori."

The child held onto him tightly as if he was afraid that if he let go, the man would disappear.  "I thought you forgot about me."

The man gave the child a reassuring smile.  "How could I forget about you?", he said, patting the child's head.  He then turned to face the teacher.  "I'm sorry for taking up your time."

The teacher smiled.  "It's fine.  I understand, you're a busy man."

The man thanked the teacher before heading out the door with the child in his arms.  "Let's go home."


When they arrived home, they were greeted with the sight of a sleeping figure curled up on the sofa in the living room.  Papers with poorly drawn pictures were scattered across the coffee table and on the floor around him.

Sunggyu released the child in his arms and approached the sleeping figure.  He gently caressed the sleeping figure's face before brushing aside several strands of hair from his serene face.

"Uncle Woohyun's asleep," the child spoke softly.

A slight frown etched upon Sunggyu's face.  "He should be sleeping in his bed," he said as he carefully scooped up the sleeping figure in his arms and headed for the bedroom.

"Ah, you're back!" exclaimed a young man stepping out from the kitchen.  "You're very late today."

Sunggyu simply smiled.  "How was he today?" he asked, indicating to the sleeping figure in his arms.

"As usual," replied the young man.  "He fell asleep while waiting for you."

Sunggyu managed a smile.  "I'll take it from here.  I have the next few days off so you don't need to come."

Rather than relief, the young man looked at him with slight concern.  "Is everything alright?"

Sunggyu nodded.  "I just want to spend some time with them."

The young man smiled.  "Dinner's on the table," informed the young man as he began heading for the door.  "I'll be off then."

Sunggyu thanked the young man as he left.  "Mori, you must be hungry," he said to the child.  "Why don't you have dinner first."


Sunggyu carried the sleeping figure to the bedroom where he carefully tucked him into bed.  He stood for a moment in silence, admiring the sleeping face before finally stepping away.

Just as he exited the bedroom and closed the door behind him, he felt his phone vibrating in his pocket.  He glanced at the name of the caller before answering it.

"How are you feeling?" the concerned voice asked.

"I'm fine," he replied.  "You don't have to worry."

There was a deep sigh on the other end.  "But I do worry.  I can't believe you left in your condition.  You only care about others and not yourself.  You were lucky this time but what about next time?"

Sunggyu remained silent.

"I know I can't stop you," said the voice in defeat.  "If it starts to bleed, let me know."

Sunggyu looked down at his stomach and slowly lifted up the bottom of his shirt.  He looked at the bandages wrapped around his abdomen and saw the blood threatening to seep through.

"I'm fine," he replied.