Once Were Lovers - Chapter 4

Once Were Lovers

Sunggyu took off his shirt to reveal the blood soaked bandaged around his abdomen.  He had endured the pain the whole day, not wanting to upset Woohyun and Mori.  He only wanted their days to be filled with happiness.  For their happiness he would endure anything.  A little pain like this was nothing.

He quickly took of the blood soaked bandaged and tossed it into the bin.  He cleaned the blood which was leaking out from his wound before putting on new bandages.  He changed into in a clean shirt and walked out of the bathroom.

He found Woohyun and Mori in the living room playing with their newly acquired puppy.  Despite spending a whole day out, the two boys did not seem tired.  Seeing the smiles on their faces brought a smile on Sunggyu's face.


In the middle of the night, Woohyun was awoken by movements beside him.  He opened his eyes and saw the puppy moving about on his bed.  He tilted his head, wondering why the puppy would not sleep.  Thinking that the puppy might be hungry, he carried the puppy in his arms and walked out of his room.

It was awfully quiet at this hour of the night.  Woohyun quietly walked to the next room and carefully opened the door.  He slowly approached the sleeping figure on the bed.

"Sunggyu," he called out softly.  "Sunggyu, puppy is hungry."  He pouted when the older man remained still.  He reached out a hand and shook Sunggyu gently.  "Sunggyu, wake up."

Woohyun frowned.  Usually Sunggyu would always wake up whenever he called.  Sunggyu would never ignore him like this.  He shook the man harder.

"Sunggyu-"  His words came to an abrupt stop when he saw a trickle of blood running down from the bed and onto the floor.

Woohyun's eyes widened in shock at the sight of blood.  "Sunggyu, don't die," he cried as he shook the older man.

Sunggyu stirred and opened his eyes to find Woohyun crying beside his bed.  He panicked, thinking that something terrible had happened.  He tried to sit up, wanting to comfort Woohyun, but his body would not allow him to do so.  He found himself without any strength left.

"Woohyun," he called out softly.

Hearing Sunggyu's voice, Woohyun jolted in surprise.  "Sunggyu!"

Sunggyu saw Woohyun's tear stained face.  With every ounce of strength in his body, Sunggyu slowly reached out and gently wiped away his tears.  "Please don't cry," Sunggyu said, almost pleadingly.  "Seeing you cry makes my heart ache."

Woohyun immediately held back his tears.  "I won't cry but you can't die."

Sunggyu frowned in confusion, wondering why Woohyun would say such a thing.  "Would you be sad if I died?"

Woohyun nodded.

"Why?" Sunggyu asked, hoping to hear the words he wanted to hear, though he knew it was impossible.

"Because Sunggyu is nice and buys me ice cream," Woohyun replied.

Sunggyu smiled bitterly.  Those were not the words he wanted to hear.  "Then I won't die," he replied as he slowly closed his eyes.  "I don't want you to be sad."

The fear returned to Woohyun's eyes when he saw Sunggyu close his eyes.  "Sunggyu!" he called out but there was no response from the older man.  "Sunggyu, wake up!"