Once Were Lovers - Chapter 5

Once Were Lovers

Mori was awoken by the sound of Woohyun's voice.  He could hear his uncle's voice from two rooms away.  With curiosity, he rubbed his eyes and climbed out of bed.

He arrived at Sunggyu's room to find his uncle crying and calling out Sunggyu's name.  He had no idea what was going on.

"Uncle Woohyun?" he called out as he entered the room.

Woohyun glanced at the door with tears strolling down his face.  "Sunggyu's dying!"

Mori was shocked to hear those words and quickly ran over beside him.  "Uncle Sunggyu!"

Hearing that the one person who was good to them was dying, caused the two boys to panic.  Sunggyu can't die.

"We have to call the doctor," said Mori, remembering that Sunggyu had once told him that in an emergency they should call the doctor.

Seeing that his uncle was crying uncontrollably, Mori decided that he needed to do something.  After all, Sunggyu had always told him to look after his uncle.  He found Sunggyu's phone on the bedside table and quickly scrolled through the names.  There were a lot of names on Sunggyu's phone but he could not read any name which said doctor.  He frantically pressed a name and the phone dialled.  He waited several moments before someone answered on the other end.

"Sunggyu?" a sleepy voice yawned.  "What's so urgent that you're calling me at 3am?"

"Uncle Sunggyu is dying!"


He was expecting to hear Sunggyu's voice but was taken aback when he heard a child's voice on the other line.  The child's voice was desperate and pleading that he almost dropped the phone in his hand.  Sunggyu was dying?  What was that all about?

Without wasting a second more, he jumped out of bed, put on some clothes and rushed out the door.

Luckily there were no cars on the road at his time of the night, allowing him to sped through the streets.  He might have ran a red light or two but he wondered if they would let him off if he explained that it was an emergency.


A short time later, they heard the buzzer on the door.  Whoever it was, was impatient as the buzzer rang non stop.  Mori opened the front door and stared at the young man in front of him.

The young man stared down at the child who had opened the door.  The child looked about four or five years old.  He had known Sunggyu for a year now but it never occurred to him that Sunggyu had a son.  He was not aware that Sunggyu was married.  Sunggyu never spoke about his personal life so it was only normal that he knew nothing about the man.

A puzzled expression appeared on the child's face.  "You're not the doctor."

"You're the kid that rang me?" asked the young man, recognising the voice.  "If you wanted a doctor, why did you ring me?  Where's Sunggyu?"

Mori was hesitant to answer.

"I'm Sungyeol," the young man introduced himself when he realised that the child was wary of him.  "I'm Sunggyu's partner."

Mori stared at him in silence.

The young man let out a frustrated sigh.  "Look," he said, pulling out his badge and showing it to the child.  "I'm not a bad guy.  I'm a cop, just like Sunggyu."