Once Were Lovers - Chapter 6

Once Were Lovers

Sungyeol glanced at Woohyun who was standing outside the ER, eagerly waiting with Mori beside him.  When Sungyeol first stepped inside Sunggyu's bedroom and saw Woohyun crying beside the older man's bed, he did think much of it until he heard Woohyun speak.  Woohyun's appearance was that of a young man in his early twenties and yet his mannerism and speech were no different to that of a child.  It had caught him by surprise.  Was this why Sunggyu never talked about his personal life?

Sungyeol could not help but wonder what their relationship was until he heard Mori calling them both uncle yet they did not look like brothers.  Were they the reason why Sunggyu had refused to stay at the hospital after being wounded from their last mission?  Sunggyu had insisted that he was fine despite being slashed with a sword.  Was being with them more important then his own life?

Sungyeol's thoughts were interrupted when the ER door opened and the doctor stepped out.  "Hoya, how is he?" he asked.

The doctor let out a sigh of relief.  "His wound reopened and he lost a lot of blood but he's stable now."

Woohyun and Mori looked at the doctor with pleading eyes. 

"Where is Sunggyu?" Woohyun asked eagerly.  "Can we go see him?"

The doctor nodded.


Sunggyu lay motionless as Woohyun and Mori stood beside his bed, watching and hoping that he would wake up soon.  Sungyeol and Hoya stood watching them from the back of the room.

"Should we let his family know?" Sungyeol asked.

Hoya let out a sigh.  "They're all he's got," he replied solemnly.  "And he's all they've got."


Leaving Woohyun and Mori to be with Sunggyu, Sungyeol and Hoya stepped outside the room.

"That Woohyun guy, do you know what happened to him?" Sungyeol asked with much curiosity.

"You've been Sunggyu's partner for a year now," said Hoya.  "Didn't he tell you?"

Sungyeol shook his head.  "He never talks to me about anything but work.  I get the feeling that he doesn't like me."

"If he didn't like you then he wouldn't have called you for help," Hoya pointed out.

"Actually, he didn't," Sungyeol informed.  "The kid did.  I think he was trying to call you but got me instead."

A brief smile appeared on Hoya's face.  "Well then, I trust you'll take care of them until Sunggyu wakes up."

Sungyeol's eyes widened in surprise.  "Huh?"

Hoya gave him a pat on the shoulder and walked away before he could say anything.


An hour later, Mori had fallen asleep in the chair beside Sunggyu's bed and an hour after that, Woohyun followed suit.  Though exhaustion had claimed them both, their hands still gripped onto Sunggyu's hands as if afraid that he would disappear.

Sungyeol stood and sighed.  He could not abandon them.  Sunggyu was his partner after all.


He glanced at his reflection in the mirror.  The wound on his chest had long since healed yet the scar remained.  The scar which was a constant reminder to him of what happened that night.  A night he could never forget no matter how much time had passed.  He picked up the photo and smiled.

"So you're still alive.  I'll be coming for you soon."